Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charged €480 for New Glasses

• 10-12-2019 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

I went to a local Opticians today and PRSI payments covered the eye test. I found frames (none of which had a price tag) that were suitable. Honestly not sure if €480 is excessive for a pair of specs, Maybe I should have inquired about the price of frames but I didn't. I'm not used to buying glasses but is this expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They saw you coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No idea, it's like someone who buys a new car for €120k wondering is it expensive when their neighbour bought a new car for €16k, all depends on what you got and if it can be priced elsewhere to define if it's a rip off. Premium branded glasses are generally expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Logo wrote: »
    I went to a local Opticians today and PRSI payments covered the eye test. I found frames (none of which had a price tag) that were suitable. Honestly not sure if €480 is excessive for a pair of specs, Maybe I should have inquired about the price of frames but I didn't. I'm not used to buying glasses but is this expensive?

Sounds like you're not used to buying anything if you didn't check the price first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Specsavers do 2 pairs of designer frames for €180. So yes, it is expensive.
    Clearly a bit of a cowboy outfit that let you get to the till without discussing the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You were ripped off.

Specsavers have a perfectly adequate €149 range which includes test (i think.. maybe requires prsi/med card), lenses and frames and usually a free 2nd pair.

They make their money by handing you the 2nd pair from their 189/199 designer range after you've picked the first pair from the 149 range, so you pay the higher price.

They'll also try to flog you ridiculously expensive ultra-thin lenses. Unless your prescription is very bad It's usually not worth it.

And finally, they'll always recommend the antiglare coating.. they casually add it without explaining it costs extra, and if you query it they'll tell you it's worth it. It's not.

Naturally the extras (anti glare and ultra thin) are very expensive and are not included in the 2 for 1 offer ... so your €149 pair of glasses becomes €500+, including the "free" pair.

It happens to most people who buy glasses for the first time.

As for going to another opticians... some people swear specsavers is no good and stick with another optician. So they don't get 2 for 1 on frames and the price on the shelf usually isn't the all-in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Logo

I will own up that I was a total tool in not asking the price of frames (300) but varifocals were €150. Any glasses-wearing folks want to comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

antix80 wrote: »
    You were ripped off.

Specsavers have a perfectly adequate €149 range which includes test, lenses and frames and usually a free 2nd pair.

They make their money by handing you the 2nd pair from their 189/199 designer range after you've picked the first pair from the 149 range, so you pay the higher price.

They'll also try to flog you ridiculously expensive ultra-thin lenses. Unless your prescription is very bad It's usually not worth it.

And finally, they'll always recommend the antiglare coating.. they casually add it without explaining it costs extra, and if you query it they'll tell you it's worth it. It's not.

Naturally the extras (anti glare and ultra thin) are very expensive and are not included in the 2 for 1 offer ... so your €149 pair of glasses becomes €500+, including the "free" pair.

It happens to most people who buy glasses for the first time.

Got my first pair of reading glasses there a year or two ago and just walked away with what I asked for. No forced extras.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wear glasses, have done for years now. I wouldn't spend anywhere near that on glasses. It's crazy money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

They should have explained the prices to you before you bought them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That's crazy - I cringe at 200 euro but with my eyesight I go for the ultra extra thin which cost quite a bit extra

What is an average normal price for varifocal glasses?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

About tree fiddy would have been fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Specsavers have a perfectly adequate €149 range which includes test (i think.. maybe requires prsi/med card), lenses and frames and usually a free 2nd pair.

They make their money by handing you the 2nd pair from their 189/199 designer range.

And finally, they'll always recommend the antiglare coating.. they casually add it without explaining it costs extra.

Maybe they just treat you like that. I was entitled via PRSI. I got free eye test and glasses. Decided to go with the anti glare coating, which is worth it, and ended up paying a grand total of €19.

I will own up that I was a total tool in not asking the price of frames (300) but varifocals were €150. Any glasses-wearing folks want to comment?

Very expensive frames, fairly expensive lenses.
    It depends on the reason why your varifocals were so dear... did you actually need expensive ones or did your optician just add a few euros to his pension fund. If he didn't explain the difference, I'm guessing the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Specsavers do 2 pairs of designer frames for €180. So yes, it is expensive.

Specsavers have a lot of add ons. I have never got out with the price advertised.
    Effects wrote: »
    They should have explained the prices to you before you bought them.

To be fair to Specsavers they do explain the price quite clearly.

Just wondering if 150 is an ok price for the lens - and maybe overprices frames (300)?

Effects wrote: »
    Maybe they just treat you like that. I was entitled via PRSI. I got free eye test and glasses. Decided to go with the anti glare coating, which is worth it, and ended up paying a grand total of €19.

I've been wearing glasses since primary so i know the cost. But i know a few people now who bought their first pair at 50 and were ripped off.

And specsavers staff are told to prescribe anti glare and always upsell frames .. i always refuse the extras and typically buy from the €149 range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

joeysoap wrote: »
    Specsavers have a lot of add ons. I have never got out with the price advertised.

Yep
    To be fair to Specsavers they do explain the price quite clearly.

A few months ago the first pair they showed was 200 for the frames, never mind the cost of the lenses - walked out.

Just wondering if 150 is an ok price for the lens - and maybe overprices frames (300)?

To quote specsavers: With our 2 for 1 varifocals offer, you can pick a pair of glasses from the €89-€239 ranges with varifocal lenses (from €55-€195) and we'll give you a free second pair from the same price range or below and with the same type of lenses.

So.. €144 for 2 pair, or €72 each.

I should add... i dont wear varifocals and apparently the type of lense can make a big difference. You probably paid too much for the frames, but assuming you got a quality lense that's the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I have sympathy for the OP, glasses are very easy to get ripped off on.

There's always a load of information in Opticians about the cost of the frames, but it's the lenses that will catch you for the money and most people aren't experts on what they do and don't need in regards to different lenses types and add on's etc, etc - and Opticians know this and usually will try to get you to buy every possible bell and whistle that you can. After all, glasses are very important and one shouldn't try to skimp on such a vital thing...

I used to buy my glasses at Specsavers, but I hated having to deal with their up-selling and "clearly" explained but in reality fairly hidden magical extras and charges. But even the cost of frames alone can be astounding in other opticians, so I eventually had to go back to the evil empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

To quote specsavers: With our 2 for 1 varifocals offer, you can pick a pair of glasses from the €89-€239 ranges with varifocal lenses (from €55-€195) and we'll give you a free second pair from the same price range or below and with the same type of lenses.

So.. €144 for 2 pair, or €72 each.

Same type of lens= fatish lens

If you want them slimmer........

If you want anti glare for driving ..........

If you want ‘ lighter ‘ glass...........

If you want lens that react to light.........

Though as you say you could get away with basic. But seldom do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Vision express got me one time on a pair of Oakleys. Never again. So many people are getting ripped off buying glasses.

Thanks guys. Maybe I've been ripped off. Every day's a school day,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

They saw you coming.

they didn't see you coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

You didn't say, but by any chance were they an expensive brand, i.e. Prada, RayBan, Gucci? Bought my glasses first time last year from Specsavers. I was well aware about their upselling and when I was led towards those expensive brands I turned towards the cheaper frames. I bought a pair for going out looking 'cool' €89 and a pair for reading at home €25. It was a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Specsavers take the piss, full of 'special offers', the day you're collecting your glasses your giving the robbing ****ers €268 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks guys. Maybe I've been ripped off. Every day's a school day,,,

Sure look up the brand and model of the frames online and that will give you an idea if the 300 you paid was over priced, my guess is it was but theres nothing you can really do now anyway that the lenses are inside them.

I think the thing to do nowadays is go get an eye test and ask for the prescription. Then upload that prescription to a UK site like goggles4u.co.uk and you can get frames and lenses much cheaper there than Specsavers or local opticians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Bull**** it cost 480 for a single pair, not unless you went with a very high end designer and got the works done on the lenses.

I got a pair a month ago and it cost my 250 euro, they were a decent frame and i got the glass reduced in size and the anti-glare.

If you did spend that much you got ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They saw you coming.

Unclearly the OP didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've been wearing glasses since primary so i know the cost. But i know a few people now who bought their first pair at 50 and were ripped off.

And specsavers staff are told to prescribe anti glare and always upsell frames .. i always refuse the extras and typically buy from the €149 range.

I was in at the weekend for glasses to use with my laptop.
    The optician told me I needed antiglare.
    I can't understand why that would be necessary for a laptop LCD.

I'm wondering now if I can object when I pick them up that I want my money back and reject for mis selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The markup on on lenses in some places is insane. Standard lenses, including the anti-glare bs are produced for peanuts.

There are a few sites where you can send off your frames with your prescription and get your lenses for a fraction of what some opticians charge.

Got robbed one time when purchasing an expensive pair of frames (I've no problem with that). Price quoted was for frames and lenses. When I go to settle up, she tells me that price was for 'standard lenses' and produces a sample jamjar lense that the NHS probably stopped using in the 1950s. The thin lenses are in fact the industry standard and they use sleight of hand to empty your wallet further.

Pure trickery. I now purchase the frames only. A few places will say that you can't do the frames only. I tell them fine, I've taken a picture of the serial number, I'll order them online, thanks for letting me try them on - and I walk out. Until more people start doing that, certain opticians will continue to rip the p*ss.

Glasses are at the intersection of medical need and fashion - and (many) opticians take advantage of consumer ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You weren't ripped off per se OP but if you went into an independant optician their prices can be a bit nuts compared to the high street like Specsavers where you'll get 2 perfectly fine glasses for a LOT less.

Basically you just didn't do your research and you didn't do the basics of checking prices however it's pretty poor form that price wasn't mentioned at all during the sale by the merchant.

Anyway lesson learned I guess. I just hope you're happy with the glasses you selected :D I'd be even more gutted if I put them on later and felt that maybe they don't suit you :P

I tried to buy them online before but the websites always want more numbers than are actually on your prescription so I can never get them and end up having to pay Vision Express €300+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I tried to buy them online before but the websites always want more numbers than are actually on your prescription so I can never get them and end up having to pay Vision Express €300+.

Call you last optician and ask them, they'll have all those numbers on file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

What is an average normal price for varifocal glasses?

My varifocals cost in and around €490 with a second free pair from Specsavers. So did my o/h's.
    Even thiugh I got anti-scratch on them, within 2 weeks one lens was scratched and they wanted €120 to fix it. Argued them down to €80 but I was so annoyed I didn't get them fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭whizkid9

https://eu.lenskart.com/collections/eyeglasses-for-men

Call you last optician and ask them, they'll have all those numbers on file.

I assume they won’t give them to you. Last time I was in their “computer was down” so I had to pay for my test and they were to refund me. Suddenly lost all knowledge when I phoned to check so they’re not the most honest bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you worn varifocals before? They can take a bit of getting used to.

Are the frames branded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Have you really really bad sight and need high index lenses ? if so this is about right, it's around what I pay .... can't even make the lenses in the shop, they need to send them to some kunting place in Germany, takes about 1 week - 10 days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It depends on your prescription. I have a very strong prescription so I need the highest index lenses or they do not physically fit in the frames. If you’re just buying reading glasses you don’t need to upgrade the lenses.

You have 14 days to return a pair of glasses to specsavers if you’re not happy with them
    If you feel you were overcharged then you should do this.

If you have a strong prescription, You can get two pairs of glasses on firmoo.com for about €250 even with the highest index lenses. The frames are grand but even if they only lasted half the time, they’re a quarter of the price...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you pay for an eye test you are entitled to a written copy of your prescription. Then you just need your pupil distance which you can get with a ruler, and a camera (or mirror)

You can measure your old glasses to get an idea for what size the new frames should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

next year in 20/20 you will not make the same mistake, perfect hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You should have read the small print in advance.

It's just the PD (pupil distance) that isn't part of the prescription and you can measure it yourself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I have paid similar for glasses, if I like them I'll buy them. I wear them all day every day so I can justify it that way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Arghus wrote: »
    There's always a load of information in Opticians about the cost of the frames, but it's the lenses that will catch you for the money and most people aren't experts on what they do and don't need in regards to different lenses types and add on's etc, etc - and Opticians know this and usually will try to get you to buy every possible bell and whistle that you can. After all, glasses are very important and one shouldn't try to skimp on such a vital thing..
    Exactly, as Yurt notes below.
    Yurt! wrote: »
    The markup on on lenses in some places is insane. Standard lenses, including the anti-glare bs are produced for peanuts.

The margins on the lenses are about their biggest profit generator, followed by "big name" fancy frames.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

paid 360 for a pair of vari focals from my optician earlier this year (titanium frame), but paid extra for thin lenses and theres 3 grades of varifocals which increases the price (obviously). they did throw in a pair of varifocal sunglasses as well for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Do you miss your old glasses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I don't know if I would be messing with eyesight, my husband has to get a different lens for each eye so glasses can be expensive but its the one thing he would be very wary of getting online.

• Advertisement
Advertisement