Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were Dublin CC right to remove coats donated to the homeless from Ha'peny Bridge?

Options
  • 10-12-2019 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭

A man recently started a campaign asking people to leave coats for the homeless on Ha'penny bridge. I think they received over 40 coats and DCC removed them.
    I believe they were donated to charity.
    Now DCC are receiving a massive backlash online but I can see why it had to be done. I believe the guy who started the campaign meant well and those who donated the coats also but It may have got out of hand and another drop off point would be more suited.
    It may have turned to a dumping ground for people's unwanted tat also from what I've being told by people working in the charity sector.

Were Dublin CC right to remove coats donated to the homeless from Ha'peny Bridge? 153 votes

Yes
    75% 116 votes
    No
    24% 37 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

It absolutely would have turned into a dumping ground.

Charities get so much clothing donated that they have to export a lot of it, there’s no shortage of clothing for the homeless.

I lived beside a SVP shop and there was a truck there 2 days a week taking donations away, only the items the shop thought it could sell were kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Such a stupid idea.....

I get it people have it tough but come on seriously putting coats out, funny thing is the ones with money were probably the ones taking them a d the Roma gypsies also as seen them at them....

There are way too many charities and too much money been squandered and this would be a much better place to start.....

Huge amount of services provided and shelters and accommodation but most you see out won't go in as they can continue to use and smoke and drink when out on their own.....

Obviously it's sad and it's horrible to see but these people don't need coats they need help and treatment and methadone ain't working.

A man recently started a campaign asking people to leave coats for the homeless on Ha'penny bridge. I think they received over 40 coats and DCC removed them.
    I believe they were donated to charity.
    Now DCC are receiving a massive backlash online but I can see why it had to be done. I believe the guy who started the campaign meant well and those who donated the coats also but it may have got out of hand and another drop off point would be more suited.
    it may have turned to a dumping ground for people's unwanted tat also from what I've being told by people working in the charity sector.

Tubridy went on a rant about that yesterday, completely understanding possible implications.

As you said, peoples unwanted tat.

Rock up to Capuchin House with your donated sweaty, dirty old rain coat and it would be rejected.

Lets also remember there was high winds over the weekend and into Monday night. If they all end up in the Liffey they are of no use to anyone.

Its a nice idea but there are places and systems already in place. If you want to donate something, bring your items there.

Or give something directly to a person you identify as homeless. Let he or she accept or reject your second hand coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

People also forget about the weather. It's been a wet and windy few days. So you could have coats blowing about the Quays, Coats in the river, What if a coat blew up onto the windscreen if a bus ?

Also who would want to take a wet coat ?

There is a massive online backlash against anything to do with the homeless. Alot of people looking for likes.

One case for instance is in Navan. Apparently a homeless guy was refused service in MC Donnalds. As usual a SJW posted a long post about a homeless guy asked him to get him food as he was refused service. One long Facebook post later with loads of shares, it comes out that the guy is not homeless, an alcoholic who is barred from half the town for fighting, and been abusive to staff. It's the same with the jackets any excuse to post about the homeless while looking for likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

What is there in Dublin -150 people living on the streets any one night?
    Have we hit 150 charities catering for them yet!

Have the Roma gypsies access to a forklift to help load up stuff. If not the next charity to emerge should provide one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Idiots love nothing more than joining in on a good backlash to “stick it to the man”, in this case DCC.

The location of the coats simply presented numerous safety issues. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a coat depot there obviously wanted the bit of exposure on social media as opposed to just having a coat depot anywhere in the city for people who are homeless. I’ve seen it done in other cities and it works well, there’s nobody takes all the coats and there’s no shìtty coats left out either. It’s based upon good will, no need for all the backslapping on social media.

Given our recent weather, what good would wet, cold clothes be to wet, cold people. DCC did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,606 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

enricoh wrote: »
    What is there in Dublin -150 people living on the streets any one night?
    Have we hit 150 charities catering for them yet!

92 (well down on what it was last year) according to latest figures:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/mendicity-institution-cold-weather-strategy-4920951-Dec2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I was at Arthur's Quay in Limerick on Friday on they had a similar set up, but the jackets were taken and left at a designated stall, which was sheltered from the rain.

Anyone who argues that they should have been left up, should try wearing a soaked through jacket for a few hours and see how quick their mind changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's hard to make sense of what it hopes to achieve. Anyone unaware would wonder why there were grotty coats hanging on the bridge. Agree completely on the weather issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Not very dignified for a homeless person to be trying on coats in the middle of a very busy pedestrian bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s span new runners the homeless lads are I n the market for. Not some 2nd hand jacket. This is the most pointless type of virtue signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Homelessness is the Irish version of 'wokeness'
    In America is about's "As a white person, I stand with People of Colour..blah blah'.
    In Ireland, its all about feeding and doing 'something' for the homeless people.

If people really wanted to tackle the issue, then they would be advocating a doubling of property tax, which can go on to build social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

nice thought but not thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

markodaly wrote: »

If people really wanted to tackle the issue, then they would be advocating a doubling of property tax, which can go on to build social housing.

The situation with housing has got worse since the introduction of the LPT.

I think the gesture was well intentioned and at first I thought the council picking them up again was mean spirited.

But I didn’t factor in the weather and the implications of a coat blowing onto a windscreen or into the river. So, the council did the right thing.

I’m sure the hundred odd rough sleepers avail of soup kitchens and other services so probably better if the coats were also near there and dry.

Boggles wrote: »
    The situation with housing has got worse since the introduction of the LPT.

Since Joe Schmit became the Irish Rugby coach, the housing situation has gotten worse. It makes as much sense as your post.

LPT should be increased, massively with the LA taking in the revenue and put towards social housing. This should not be a controversial statement.

Since Joe Schmit became the Irish Rugby coach, the housing situation has gotten worse. It makes as much sense as your post.

Well that's just plain silly.

Schmit doesn't raise 100s of millions for local governance.
    LPT should be increased, massively with the LA taking in the revenue and put towards social housing. This should not be a controversial statement.

Well it should be put towards local housing, but how much did Fine Gael funnel into the startup of the cash grab Irish Water, half a billion?

I think they have proven without doubt they can't not be trusted, so no, lets not for once tax the shít of people to give it an inept pack of idiots who will spunk it away as soon as they get it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

It absolutely would have turned into a dumping ground.

Charities get so much clothing donated that they have to export a lot of it, there’s no shortage of clothing for the homeless.

I lived beside a SVP shop and there was a truck there 2 days a week taking donations away, only the items the shop thought it could sell were kept.

But there's a shortage of good quality clothes/shoes. I'm sure people have lots of barely worn clothes/shoes but instead they bring in a lot of tat that won't sell.

I think they have proven without doubt they can't not be trusted, so no, lets not for once tax the shít of people to give it an inept pack of idiots who will spunk it away as soon as they get it in.

How very Tory of you.

You call yourself left-wing but advocate small state and low taxes. Mind 'Boggles'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Barely controlled mass immigration is a major factor alongside foolish housing policies (refusing to build social housing, instead buying or renting expensive private units, FF ending bedsits, tax policies favouring REITs who take scarce land and offer rents only affordable to the wealthier, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Needed to be nipped in the bud and was.

Before you know it, you would have had slacktivists "checking in" at the Ha'penny Bridge on Facebook.

How very Tory of you.

You call yourself left-wing but advocate small state and low taxes. Mind 'Boggles'.

No I don't.

I think anyone that pigeon holes themselves into any particular ideology is an absolute cretin.

But back to the point, FG have proven without doubt that they can't be trusted with public spending, engaging in fraud to gorge the purse doesn't seem to bother them much either.

So no, no more increases for that shower. It would be pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The point people miss is that leaving things in a public space in the vague hope that someone else will take it away is actually littering.

This littering was well intentioned. But a littered space encourages more people to litter, and then fly tip. North Inner City Dublin in particular has a culture of people dropping off a filled black bin bag in any space where rubbish is left for any space of time. Near me any house or building that's being worked on will have rubbish bags opportunistically added to the builders rubbish in the front garden within a day or two at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

But there's a shortage of good quality clothes/shoes. I'm sure people have lots of barely worn clothes/shoes but instead they bring in a lot of tat that won't sell.

And you think the clothes left on the railings will be any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

As a once off to raise awareness I get the sentiment. But it is not practical and certainly not safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Dubllin City Council - and others - seem obsessed with Health & Safety.

I'd have thought being homeless was a major threat to health and safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Dubllin City Council - and others - seem obsessed with Health & Safety.

I'd have thought being homeless was a major threat to health and safety?

So is the chronic drink and or drug addictions that the vast majority of the under 200 rough sleepers in dublin have, but sure giving them wet coats should absolutely come above the safe enjoyment and condition of the cities most iconic bridge by dublins other 1 million residents

No I don't.

I think anyone that pigeon holes themselves into any particular ideology is an absolute cretin.

But back to the point, FG have proven without doubt that they can't be trusted with public spending, engaging in fraud to gorge the purse doesn't seem to bother them much either.

So no, no more increases for that shower. It would be pointless.

What fraud is this?

• Advertisement

What fraud is this?

Did you not get the circular?

In the past month or so we found out.

Maria Bailey
    Alan Farrell
    Dara Murphy

Advertisement