Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were Dublin CC right to remove coats donated to the homeless from Ha'peny Bridge?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Boggles wrote: »
    Did you not get the circular?

In the past month or so we found out.

Maria Bailey
    Alan Farrell
    Dara Murphy

Best go to your local Garda station so and report this.
    Meanwhile.... we talk about FG again.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

markodaly wrote: »
    Best go to your local Garda station so and report this.

No need, Charles is aware, I'm sure he'll sort it out.

Lovely.....

However, I do like this chat with Boggles as it exemplifies yet again what is wrong with Irish society,

Decry the Irish government for not fixing the housing crisis.
    Demand lower property tax at the same time.

We really are a bunch of muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I hate the phrase "virtue signalling" and in almost 99% of cases it's used the commenter is peddling some nonsense or using it in a way that makes no sense, but this event is the first time I feel the need to use it.

There may be some thought or goodwill involved for some people, but it just looks like a masturbatory, self gratifying, attention seeking stunt to me.

It's really a case of "donating to SVP/homeless charities doesn't focus enough attention on me, and also doesn't allow me to rant against the man, so we've to up it a notch" Hence it somehow seeming like a good idea to leave piles of rain soaked clothing out for days in the elements in windy weather on a busy pedestrian walkway, in the bizarre delusion that all that will happen is a random rough sleeper who somehow has no other options will help himself to a coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dun laohhaire rathdown cc would love all of you saying increase PT.....

45 million for a library and some office space....

We are been played big time....

Too many charities and money pissed out on huge wages etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Since Joe Schmit became the Irish Rugby coach, the housing situation has gotten worse. It makes as much sense as your post.

LPT should be increased, massively with the LA taking in the revenue and put towards social housing. This should not be a controversial statement.
    LOl! With how our councils go about securing ridiculously expensive accommodation for social housing ?! An example being the three thousand per month for some apartments they are renting in Dundrum ? They are renting an entire newly built block for twenty five years at obscene cost ! I

Who demanded lower property, tax? :confused:

You demanded it should be doubled, again as I pointed out, it would just be wasted.

No argument from me.

Lovely.....

However, I do like this chat with Boggles as it exemplifies yet again what is wrong with Irish society,

Ah here. Why should I pay more property tax when councils go and spend it paying ridiculously large leases on luxury apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That's not what happened though is it.

You said it should be raised, Boggles said that would be a waste as it would be frittered away. Saying it's pointless to raise it is not the same thing at all as saying it should be lowered.

I haven't seen anybody on this thread call for lower property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I predict we will see another Apollo House this Christmas.

• Advertisement

Ah here. Why should I pay more property tax

How else are they going to pay 10s of millions for white water rafting in Dublin?

I predict we will see another Apollo House this Christmas.

It will be call Adonis House.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dublin's homeless problem is no worse than anywhere else (statistically it's just below the average of advanced countries) even accounting for our daftly broad definitions of what is "homelessness".

By percentage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homeless_population

Germany 0.37%
    UK 0.46%
    Ireland 0.22%
    USA 0.12%

Even then our definition of homelessness is generous to say the least (the term being abused now to get bumped up housing lists).

Anyone homeless is a tragedy but it's being blown out of all proportion in this country.

Dublin's homeless problem is no worse than anywhere else (statistically it's just below the average of advanced countries) even accounting for our daftly broad definitions of what is "homelessness".

By percentage

Germany 0.37%
    UK 0.46%
    Ireland 0.22%
    USA 0.12%

Even then our definition of homelessness is generous to say the least (the term being abused now to get bumped up housing lists).

Anyone homeless is a tragedy but it's being blown out of all proportion in this country.

How do those countries define homelessness compared to ours?

osarusan wrote: »
    That's not what happened though is it.

You said it should be raised, Boggles said that would be a waste as it would be frittered away. Saying it's pointless to raise it is not the same thing at all as saying it should be lowered.

I haven't seen anybody on this thread call for lower property tax.

If given the opportunity, the Irish electorate would in a heartbeat abolish LPT.
    The proof in the pudding is most LA reducing it by the maximum 15% when it came in, then at the same time councilors complaining they had no money for Social Housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

“The Official Winter Rough Sleeper Count was also published this week and found that a total of 92 people are confirmed as rough sleeping across the Dublin region in Winter 2019 compared to 152 in 2018.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/mendicity-institution-cold-weather-strategy-4920951-Dec2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the more money government here have, the more they will waste. I was previously for raising LPT. I am against it now, they dont bother collecting millions in rent from social housing, charge a pittance for it. Make bizarre, financially insane decisions to rent council housing at a fortune, reducing the amount of housing they can provide. Taking these properties away from the private rental market :mad::rolleyes:

There is no issue with funding here, its idiotic governance and financial recklessness that is the issue!

these people that get social housing, dont even pay LPT , they dont pay management fees etc. Despite getting the place for a pittance and other homeowners should contribute to this insanity? LOL!

They need to build there own units, on OUR land, never sell them off. Charge an appropriate rent!

LPT should be increased, massively with the LA taking in the revenue and put towards social housing. This should not be a controversial statement.

Hang on a second! My view of the homeless is that it's by and large a structured and orchestrated problem by many people trying to get up, and on, the housing list, who don't have actual 'homelessness' as a problem.

Perhaps I've grown up around too many chancers and can see through many of the social issues, but there is no shortage of assistance to the homeless. The only ones who seem to be sleeping rough are the ones who refuse to get their act together (Drink/Drugs) or those who prefer to sleep rough for whatever reason.

This country has many problems, but it doesn't let you die on the streets unless you really put up a fight. All it takes are trivial levels of personal responsibility to see yourself in a warm building at night with your own bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Completely wrong on a number of fronts:

It's a nice gesture not doing any harm.
    Some rough sleepers might be very grateful.

If you want to be completely cynical, I had friends from different parts of the world talking about how great it was. It really put a nice spin on Dublin, which could only help with tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Boggles wrote: »
    No I don't.

I think anyone that pigeon holes themselves into any particular ideology is an absolute cretin.

But back to the point, FG have proven without doubt that they can't be trusted with public spending, engaging in fraud to gorge the purse doesn't seem to bother them much either.

So no, no more increases for that shower. It would be pointless.

The government isn't Fine Gael. The government is us, we the people. The government acts as the conduit to the homeless, but if we don't give the government tax, the government can't address the homelessness problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the more money government here have, the more they will waste. I was previously for raising LPT. I am against it now, they dont bother collecting millions in rent from social housing, charge a pittance for it. Make bizarre, financially insane decisions to rent council housing at a fortune, reducing the amount of housing they can provide. Taking these properties away from the private rental market :mad::rolleyes:

There is no issue with funding here, its idiotic governance and financial recklessness that is the issue!

these people that get social housing, dont even pay LPT , they dont pay management fees etc. Despite getting the place for a pittance and other homeowners should contribute to this insanity? LOL!

They need to build there own units, on OUR land, never sell them off. Charge an appropriate rent!

With what money will the local authorities build their own units?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,606 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Idbatterim wrote: »
    LOl! With how our councils go about securing ridiculously expensive accommodation for social housing ?! An example being the three thousand per month for some apartments they are renting in Dundrum ? They are renting an entire newly built block for twenty five years at obscene cost ! I

FG only have 13 of 39 councillors on DLR CoCo....
    http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie:9071/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=PARTY

• Registered Users Posts: 11,606 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

By percentage

Germany 0.37%
    UK 0.46%
    Ireland 0.22%
    USA 0.12%

Even just up the road....

Homeless levels in NI : 18573 out of a population of 1.871m

Homeless level in RoI: 10514 out of a population of 4.792m

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If given the opportunity, the Irish electorate would in a heartbeat abolish LPT.
    The proof in the pudding is most LA reducing it by the maximum 15% when it came in, then at the same time councilors complaining they had no money for Social Housing.

None of that has anything to do with my post, which simply pointed out that you misrepresented what another poster said.

"raising awareness"

a long way of saying "im a clown, and of no practical use"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe someone should have thought before acting. No one has any use for a sodden, gammy coat that smells of particulates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

"raising awareness"

a long way of saying "im a clown, and of no practical use"

I don't think it was aimed at you, but if you feel the glove fits ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Crossed that bridge a few days ago when the "coats" were up....most had seen better days and were greasy and some had pockets torn.

Whoever thought this was a good idea...would want to think again ...Corpo was absolutely right in taking that tat down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's like an open air flea market with actual fleas.

What's to stop non homeless helping themselves to any nicer jackets, keeping or selling them?

Well meaning but half thought out as usual.

Advertisement