Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One main driver, two cars...

• 10-12-2019 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I need to get a second car, and most of people I know tell me “you can’t have two car insurance” that seems totally crazy to me.

I assume that is wrong, although I already know that you can’t use your no claim discount on two cars : and this is A SCAM from insurance company, and I can’t believe that Irish gouvernement let them go away with that....

No claim discount should be about how the driver drive and not a official scam to get more money, I mean how does that make any sense ?

I know road accident is very high in Ireland, but it’s mostly because Gardaí only seems to car about motor tax (and Its not they fault but they instructions)

I drive a lot, daily, and I only be checked for my car insurance, I think only once in the last 10 year for alcohol. But worst people can’t drive at all here and even in front of the Guards but they won’t do nothing! (driving in the wrong lane, driving in ghost island or even worst park on it... going in the right lane when the taking over lane is closing etc etc etc...) anyway I can understand the insurance issues but still not why a good driver have to be penalised in a second car.

Regarding my profil, I have 5 years no claim (plus 20 years no claim in France but I had to start over here and even swap my licence otherwise I had to pay ridiculous insurance).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 insuranceman

Just the way insurance is in Ireland. NCB's are only allowed on 1 vehicle at a time.

What most people would do is when buying a second car they put it in partner or spouse's name and use named driver experience they've build up on your policy driving claims free, which generates nearly as a good a discount as a NCB depending on the car.

I don't know if this is applicable to your situation or is it that you are the main and only driver of both cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

Just the way insurance is in Ireland. NCB's are only allowed on 1 vehicle at a time.

What most people would do is when buying a second car they put it in partner or spouse's name and use named driver experience they've build up on your policy driving claims free, which generates nearly as a good a discount as a NCB depending on the car.

I don't know if this is applicable to your situation or is it that you are the main and only driver of both cars?

Thank you for your reply.
    my wife have a learner licence, but will eventually get a full licence in a few days (hopefully) but I assume it will be a very expensive policy to have her at the main driver. (Plus still will be my car)
    If I’m getting the second car policy under my name too I basically have to select “0 year no claim” instead of 5 right ?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have you considered a car that can be defined as a classic and then insure that on a classic policy. By classic I do not mean an MG or a Mk 1 Mustang you can get quite "modern" cars that fall into this category now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,428 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some insurers will mirror part or all of an NCB. You will need a broker for this realistically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kevincork wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply.
    my wife have a learner licence, but will eventually get a full licence in a few days (hopefully) but I assume it will be a very expensive policy to have her at the main driver. (Plus still will be my car)
    If I’m getting the second car policy under my name too I basically have to select “0 year no claim” instead of 5 right ?
    Thanks

You and your wife own your cars, spouses own property jointly, so either of you can insure either vehicle. Even if you only have 1 car married people should swap main drivers annually.

Just make sure that the other partner is a named driver as using the 3rd party driving other cars extension could be risky since you own both cars.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement