Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Czech hospital shooting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The religion of peace strikes again? Is that what we say here?

(do I win a prize?)

All seriousness though, RIP to the people that died here. Unusual enough for the attacker to shoot themselves if it's a terrorist attack. I reckon it was someone who was pissed at the hospital or people that worked there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Bit odd to trumpet that they have captured him, and then followed up by saying that he killed himself before the police intervened.

Still, awful thing to happen. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

The story is that he believed that he has a medical condition and the doctors kept telling him that there’s nothing wrong with him and refused to treat him. So he went to the hospital and did what he did. Then he drove off and when he saw the police helicopter and realized that it’s game over, he shot himself.

Not a Muslim, not a terrorist attack.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Active shooter situation in New Jersey also. 1 cop, two civilians and both suspects killed. A few injured.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/active-shooter-situation-in-jersey-city-sources-say/2238983/

Czech Republic has public gun practice establishments, so I heard some years back, where one can practice using various types of gun on targets. I’m sure most are used for legitimate hunting purposes (though I say this as an animal lover) before putting to effective use in a real situation. Somebody here might know more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Czech Republic has public gun practice establishments, so I heard some years back, where one can practice using various types of gun on targets. I’m sure most are used for legitimate hunting purposes (though I say this as an animal lover) before putting to effective use in a real situation. Somebody here might know more.

I’m Czech and I can tell you that people rarely go hunting, it’s not really our thing and I believe you need to have a hunting license (I might be wrong about that).

We do have shooting ranges though where you can go shooting at targets, but it’s all highly supervised.

The shooter in the hospital was using a 9mm gun according to the reports, and held it illegally. Not sure where he got it. We don’t really have a gun problem there, or at least didn’t have any issues with it when I lived there some decade ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Czech Republic is what in the US would be considered a “shall issue” jurisdiction. Wiki says that there are a quarter million people with permits to carry a pistol, and 300,000 people with a permit for any sort of firearm at all. (Pistol is a Czech word). Unlike most of Europe, Czech firearms are mainly owned for protection.

Unlike the US, there are basically no “gun free zones”, yet the last I checked, the worst spree shooting in Czech history was no worse than the worst spree running-over-people-with-a-vehicle.

Czechia is currently at odds with most of the rest of the EU on firearms law. After the 2015 attacks in Paris, the EU moved to tighten firearms law. The Czech President instead told folks to arm themselves, the country placed a formal challenge to the new EU regulations. They lost their challenge in the European Court of Justice last week.

Advertisement