Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergy testing Maynooth

• 10-12-2019 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently you can develop allergies even at my age. Peanuts and nuts have both given me reactions in the last 6 weeks. So need to go get an allergy test.

I saw the doctor on Main Street has a sign outside saying they do it - anyone used them or know if they are good?

Or any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only go to a doctor - the IgG tests given by "allergy centres" will tell you you're allergic to everything you've recently come in contact with and the "allergy centre" will be delighted to repeat that to you.

If a doctor offers an IgG test alone (they are potentially still useful in combination with other tests), or gives you any other indication that they're in to woo-woo (plenty of trained, registered doctors have fallen for nonsense), find a different doctor!

I don't know what any specific surgery offers, but when that "health screening" van parks up on the square for a week or so at a time don't go near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I am talking the GP clinic on Main Street. Above McCormack's pharmacy. Haven't been able to get through to them to see what test they do - only really interested in skin prick test as it's the most reliable.

I don't go near any of the woo merchants and there are a few of them around Maynooth alright like Hopi ear candling and homeopathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭daheff

try Allergy Counts in the Hermitage.

They perform skin prick tests. Have a wide range of allergens available too (no harm to double check with them beforehand what you want tested on).

Advertisement