Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a provisional A licence??

Options
  • 10-12-2019 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

I went in today to get my provisional D licence. I asked your one if I could stick the provisional CE on there at the same time.
    She checked the records and apparently I was also able to get a provisional A on there to?
    I last had a provisional A when I was 18 I think, about 13 years ago now. Is this possible or has she made some mistake?
    I do have A on my licence but with the 79.03 restriction, so its basically a trike licence.
    This would be kind of handy since I was thinking of getting back into bikes anyway.

As I understand it since I've got the trike licence I would only need to do the progression module of IBT to go up to full A. Is that right?

Thanks for any help or clarification you guys might have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

somefeen wrote: »
    I went in today to get my provisional D licence. I asked your one if I could stick the provisional CE on there at the same time.
    She checked the records and apparently I was also able to get a provisional A on there to?
    I last had a provisional A when I was 18 I think, about 13 years ago now. Is this possible or has she made some mistake?
    I do have A on my licence but with the 79.03 restriction, so its basically a trike licence.
    This would be kind of handy since I was thinking of getting back into bikes anyway.

As I understand it since I've got the trike licence I would only need to do the progression module of IBT to go up to full A. Is that right?

Yes 79.03 is a trike license only. No bikes at all.

You will only need to do the IBT and pass your test to get a full trike license.

Progression modules or for if you passed your test on say A2 and now are old enough to get an A license you can do a progression module instead of another test.

I'm sure you'll have to apply for a bike theory test to remove the 79.03. Then do the IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll have to apply for a bike theory test to remove the 79.03. Then do the IBT.

If OP did his original theory test 13 years ago then he possibly won't have to do it for the bike depending on when in 06 he did the original one.

I discovered this on boards. Pity I'd bought the feckin app before doing a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    Yes 79.03 is a trike license only. No bikes at all.

You will only need to do the IBT and pass your test to get a full trike license.

Progression modules or for if you passed your test on say A2 and now are old enough to get an A license you can do a progression module instead of another test.

On further investigation, youre right I would have to do the full IBT course. Dunno about the 79.03 restriction on the provisional thats coming. I'll see when it gets here.
    If OP did his original theory test 13 years ago then he possibly won't have to do it for the bike depending on when in 06 he did the original one.

I discovered this on boards. Pity I'd bought the feckin app before doing a search.

It might have been 05 actually now that I think of it, or even 04. I think I did two theory tests even though A and B were the same back then. I did one for A and then another for B and it turned out I didnt need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

somefeen wrote: »

The easiest thing to do is call the RSA. I'd to call them before and they didn't have the information to hand, got a call back about 30 minutes later with the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭passatman86

Genuinely curious do any of you ever get stopped while out on a bike and asked to produce licence or paperwork - other than at a standard checkpoint.. Can't remember the last person on a bike I seen pulled over by the gardai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Genuinely curious do any of you ever get stopped while out on a bike and asked to produce licence or paperwork - other than at a standard checkpoint.. Can't remember the last person on a bike I seen pulled over by the gardai

I've been stopped a couple times the last year, asked to produce license every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Depends on one's riding style :)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Was only ever asked once in my life on a bike, it was 16 years ago and I was acting the eejit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

There's none or very little Garda around these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement