Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

I seem to be one for the minority opinions when it comes to Arsenal. I don't think we should be giving Auba a three year deal. Brilliant as he is, I just don't think it's a good idea. Long term, I think we should have maybe looked at cashing in. His decline is not yet here, but it's imminent. But sure look.

I also think people are being way too quick to give the number 1 to Emi and cast Leno aside. Leno, along with Auba was our best player this year. How have people forgotten that? Emi had 12 games in the team there. 12. Am I crazy? Am I the only one who thinks we're being mad here?

I dunno. I suppose if we all agreed on things life would be boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I agree with you on the keeper thing. Leno has been superb, never really has a bad game. Martinez looked like an even better keeper even after only 12 games but how does that translate over a season? What happens him when he makes a mistake, how's his confidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Willian just completed his medical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Any word on any CB’s or midfielders?
    Hard to find anything apart from newspaper guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Any word on the wages? I've heard 100k a week. But seems too good to be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Is there anything to the Coutinho rumors do you know?

Any word on any CB’s or midfielders?
    Hard to find anything apart from newspaper guesses.

God newspapers are gone so ****ing lazy. Not one source for any stories and print endless amounts of them. Wrecks my ****ing head

If he was 27 I’d have been delighted.
    If it was one year for a 32 year old I’d have been happy.
    3 years for a 32 year old does not really delight me but maybe he’s a freak who will terrorise defenders, remain injury-free and be the best value of all time.
    It’s a huge gamble imo.

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    God newspapers are gone so ****ing lazy. Not one source for any stories and print endless amounts of them. Wrecks my ****ing head

I stopped buying newspapers years ago.
    My son buys them and fills me in with the gossip which gives me a laugh.
    Paper never refuses ink.

If he was 27 I’d have been delighted.
    If it was one year for a 32 year old I’d have been happy.
    3 years for a 32 year old does not really delight me but maybe he’s a freak who will terrorise defenders, remain injury-free and be the best value of all time.
    It’s a huge gamble imo.

I think you'll see a couple of years playing with the last year moving onto youth team coaching...
    It's a good deal around £120 a week with playing bonuses but he is super super fit and touch wood a great fitness record.

Martinelli apparently had been doing somersaults at the news

There's a lot more benefit to this deal than a 32 year old on a 3 year deal

• Advertisement

El Sueño wrote: »
    Is there anything to the Coutinho rumors do you know?

No idea sorry havent heard as more than what's in the press, but I wouldn't be surprised on a loan deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I think you'll see a couple of years playing with the last year moving onto youth team coaching...
    It's a good deal around £120 a week with playing bonuses but he is super super fit and touch wood a great fitness record.

Martinelli apparently had been doing somersaults at the news

There's a lot more benefit to this deal than a 32 year old on a 3 year deal

Youth coaching?

For me it is 32 years old on 3 years deal.

He had good run in few games at the end of a freak season.

I don't think there will be many options available this year for Arsenal so we get what we can, but signing up mature players is not to be celebrated.

wonski wrote: »
    Youth coaching?

For me it is 32 years old on 3 years deal.

He had good run in few games at the end of a freak season.

I don't think there will be many options available this year for Arsenal so we get what we can, but signing up mature players is not to be celebrated.

As I said

I can't really be much clearer lol

Rambo unwanted by Pirlo and free to find a new club.

Maybe we bring him back and cash in on Xhaka?

Basil3 wrote: »
    Rambo unwanted by Pirlo and free to find a new club.

Maybe we bring him back and cash in on Xhaka?

I think Xhaka has showed incredible passion for the club post incident. Loved Rambo but I'd take Xhaka over him

I think Xhaka has showed incredible passion for the club post incident. Loved Rambo but I'd take Xhaka over him

Xhaka has done better but even in the Cup Final we could been a goal or two down because of him dithering. We need much better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

To be honest, I'm very excited to see what Arteta can do with literally any player we might sign.

Ordinarily I'd be whinging my ass off about the Willian deal.

Rambo can come back whenever he wants, he'd be a great addition.

Holy Christ, Charity shield is this month.

2 weeks from Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

Always liked Willian and think he was a bit wasted playing on the wing at Chelsea. He's naturally a more central midfielder, and that is where he is expected to play under Arteta.

In phenomenal shape with great physicality for his size, well able to shoot and plenty of PL experience should be a good fit. Makes a lot of sense financially too given the quality of player would be at least 30mil and the wages aren't that high.

Now to get auba to sign and ozil out and we're golden.

I was only really joking. I'm sure Ramsey will do an Ozil and collect his hefty paycheck until he can leave on a free, as he won't get the same money anywhere else.

• Advertisement

I was only really joking. I'm sure Ramsey will do an Ozil and collect his hefty paycheck until he can leave on a free, as he won't get the same money anywhere else.

Wasn't he the absolute model professional last time he was waiting to leave??

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Wasn't he the absolute model professional last time he was waiting to leave??

Yes?

Yes?

So why would you say he'd do an Ozil?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    So why would you say he'd do an Ozil?

He would do an Ozil in the sense that he is on good money, he wants to stay where he is, and he will see out his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

If we can get £40m for Guendouzi then that has to be one of the biggest money in deals the club has ever done. Right up there with the 500K spent on Anelka and selling him for £22m a year and a half later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

DenMan wrote: »
    If we can get £40m for Guendouzi then that has to be one of the biggest money in deals the club has ever done. Right up there with the 500K spent on Anelka and selling him for £22m a year and a half later.

I have zero confidence our transfer team will get anywhere near that. We never sell people on at a good price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

£30m+ for Iwobi is looking like pretty decent business too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I think we will get 20-25m for Guendouzi. Anymore than that and I would be even more delighted to see the back of him

Is Partey the midfielder we need lads, I know nothing about him but the reports seem to be good. Would he suit our style?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Is Partey the midfielder we need lads, I know nothing about him but the reports seem to be good. Would he suit our style?

He tormented Liverpool when they lost 1-0 to Atletico. Gave Fabinho, Wijnaldum and I think Henderson the run around. I’ve only seen him a handful of times but he looks like the kind of midfielder we shoulda signed about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Apparently Madrid want Ceballos now just seeing on arseblog, maybe just a tactic to get us to buy now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

djan wrote: »
    Always liked Willian and think he was a bit wasted playing on the wing at Chelsea. He's naturally a more central midfielder, and that is where he is expected to play under Arteta.

In phenomenal shape with great physicality for his size, well able to shoot and plenty of PL experience should be a good fit. Makes a lot of sense financially too given the quality of player would be at least 30mil and the wages aren't that high.

Now to get auba to sign and ozil out and we're golden.
    So Willian isn't going to be the winger we've been craving, and I think everyone was happy to see us finally getting. Who's position is he going yo take in CM?

Quazzie wrote: »
    So Willian isn't going to be the winger we've been craving, and I think everyone was happy to see us finally getting. Who's position is he going yo take in CM?

Sounds as though Arteta has him as a pivotal role in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Quazzie wrote: »

One of the central defenders. Arteta wants a midfield trio and Willian to spearhead that in the no.10 role. If anything, he's replacing Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

Willian will hopefully be replacing the non existant creative midfielder that we have lacked for most of the season.

Rumours are that Arteta would like to play a 4-2-3-1 so a creative central midfielder is required. Hopefully Willian can be the one to do it. I for one am looking forward to have someone in that position that can dribble past a player and shoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Former Gunner Stephan Lichtsteiner has announced his retirement in the past hour on Instagram. I liked him and when he was brought in I think it was for the one season. He scored in the league cup on Halloween night against Burnley in a 2-1 win. He finished his career in Germany with Augsburg.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/swiss-former-juventus-defender-lichtsteiner-retires-at-36/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

DenMan wrote: »
    Former Gunner Stephan Lichtsteiner has announced his retirement in the past hour on Instagram. I liked him and when he was brought in I think it was for the one season. He scored in the league cup on Halloween night against Burnley in a 2-1 win. He finished his career in Germany with Augsburg.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/swiss-former-juventus-defender-lichtsteiner-retires-at-36/

And he took no sh1t! We had so little passion in the team at the time I kinda liked him. We need more sh1thousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He made no marked improvement to our defence - that's what we expected for someone of his experience - didn't really work out for him unfortunately

greendom wrote: »
    He made no marked improvement to our defence - that's what we expected for someone of his experience - didn't really work out for him unfortunately

I thought he’d show Bellerin how to cross a ball, don’t think he ever got around to it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ozil's interview this morning is causing a bit of a stir

• Advertisement

Yeah, just read it there.

Obviously it's his point of view, but I can see where he's coming from. There is no real clarity as to why Arteta isn't playing him after the break (because he was beforehand), and he uses the vague 'pure footballing reasons' excuse.

It's all a disaster really, last thing he needed to do was talk now. Just keep the head down and work hard and prove yourself. Instead an interview which tells us nothing really.

It's all a disaster really, last thing he needed to do was talk now. Just keep the head down and work hard and prove yourself. Instead an interview which tells us nothing really.

That's what he says he is doing in his interview. He isn't being given a chance to prove himself, though (at least according to him).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We need to know is he dropped over his wages or his attitude

That's what he says he is doing in his interview. He isn't being given a chance to prove himself, though (at least according to him).

Something just doesn't smell right though. He is definitely thinking his **** doesn't smell by the sounds of it. Has to be more to it

Something just doesn't smell right though. He is definitely thinking his **** doesn't smell by the sounds of it. Has to be more to it

Which is why the club shouldn't be vague about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

We need to know is he dropped over his wages or his attitude

Yea why cant arsenal be upfront?

He may be not as good as he was befor but there has been lots of opprtunities for him to start since the restart or even come on as a sub.

The only way you woul not bring him on is if he was injured or he basically forgot how to play football...

Its not like its difficult to get into the arsenal side, bar the GK and striker positons...

If he has been frozen out over wages then who are the other players he suggests wouldn’t take the pay cut and why haven’t they been held to the same standard as Ozil and dropped from the team?

Can’t disagree on his point that the club left him hanging on the China issue yet they’re fully behind the BLM movement. Double standards imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Dont read the headline, read the actual article

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8622757/Mesut-Ozil-slams-Arsenals-failure-Uighur-Muslim-comments.html
    'In America, we saw George Floyd killed and the world spoke up to say Black Lives Matter, and that is correct. We are all equal and it's a good thing that people fight against injustice.

'There are a lot of black players and fans of Arsenal and it's fantastic the club is backing them.

'But I wish people would have done the same for the Muslims because Arsenal have many Muslim players and fans as well, and it is important for the world to say that Muslim Lives Matter.'

This could be another reason why he was dropped. ie he kicked a fuss and questioned why arsenal did not campaign against mistreating of muslims back in dec last year by the way

I agree that the club should explain why Ozil has been ostracised.
    If he’s acting the b******* and doing nothing in training or if he’s a problem in the dressingroom then we should be told.

If he’s training hard and not causing any problems apart from his wage contract, which the club gave him, then the problem is not really his and should be explained.

I can’t understand how the likes of Willock was getting games over Ozil. No sense to it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement