Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

This is pure bollocks from Ozil in my opinion , he saw that people had forgotten about him , Arsenal won a trophy without him and he stock was falling fast and he needed to get a reminder out there

Whatever his problems the team has definitely moved on from him , now if he'd only move on himself

This is pure bollocks from Ozil in my opinion , he saw that people had forgotten about him , Arsenal won a trophy without him and he stock was falling fast and he needed to get a reminder out there

Whatever his problems the team has definitely moved on from him , now if he'd only move on himself

Reminder of what? That he wants to play football? His stock falling doesn't mean a thing, he's still going to collect his £350k a week. It's not like he's in the shop window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Say what you want about Ozil but the truth is that nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors. I do think he's right in that everybody was quick to pile on him when it emerged that he refused the paycut. His name was the only one to leak despite the fact he wasn't the only one to refuse it.

"Possibly the decision affected my chances on the pitch, I don’t know. But I’m not afraid to stand up for what I feel is right — and when you see what has happened now with the jobs, maybe I was".

Hard to disagree with him on that. Only club in the PL to bring in this 12.5% player paycut that was supposed to prevent us from laying off club staff, which we've only gone and done anyway. He's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Am I mad or did Emery let something slip at one stage that he had more or less been told not to play Ozil because the club wanted to force him out, strictly because of the wages?

Say what you want about Ozil but the truth is that nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors. I do think he's right in that everybody was quick to pile on him when it emerged that he refused the paycut. His name was the only one to leak despite the fact he wasn't the only one to refuse it.

"Possibly the decision affected my chances on the pitch, I don’t know. But I’m not afraid to stand up for what I feel is right — and when you see what has happened now with the jobs, maybe I was".

Hard to disagree with him on that. Only club in the PL to bring in this 12.5% player paycut that was supposed to prevent us from laying off club staff, which we've only gone and done anyway. He's right.

He's dead right about that.

From Arsecast I understand that the players were furious, but (what a surprise!) it happened to be announced when they were all on holidays so were less likely to be together to discuss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Am I mad or did Emery let something slip at one stage that he had more or less been told not to play Ozil because the club wanted to force him out, strictly because of the wages?

If that’s the case then I’m totally shocked, especially as they gave him the contract. It’s a mental institution if that’s true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I’ve no recollection of this but I’d like to know more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

He's dead right about that.

From Arsecast I understand that the players were furious, but (what a surprise!) it happened to be announced when they were all on holidays so were less likely to be together to discuss it.

STill that could destabilze us for next season.

All the hard work gone out the window.

A successful club starts from the top. If the top of the pile is rotten such as it is now, it will easily effect everyone at the bottom, form the coaches to the players to the groundsmen etc

Only thing I can find online is Unai Emery saying that Ozil won't be selected automatically, just because he's on £350k/week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Has Emery revealed much about his time in charge? I don't recall many quotes from him.

Seemed like a gent though so it's not that surprising I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Someone said on Twitter( I know) that it was to do with his questioning of China's treatment of Muslims and Arsenal don't want to risk any loss of revenue from the Chinese market.
    But who knows to be honest?

Sport should always be separated from politics.

Sport should always be separated from politics.

Ozil's point is that it isn't politics. The treatment of the Muslims in China is basic human rights, much like the BLM movement, which Arsenal do support.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Ozil's point is that it isn't politics. The treatment of the Muslims in China is basic human rights, much like the BLM movement, which Arsenal do support.

Well they pick and choose which human rights issues they support.
    None of them seem to have the guts to support the poor Palestinians who are being chased from their homes daily and some murdered just for target practice by the IDF. They even banned their flag from grounds so they wouldn’t offend the Yanks. Where’s their human rights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Arsenal youngster Zech Medley has joined Gillingham on a season-long loan.
    The defender, 20, broke into the first team last season but was limited to one appearance on the bench this year in the Europa League.
    Medley, who joined from Chelsea as a kid in 2016, was a regular in the Under-23 side that finished sixth in Premier League Two but is now moving on.
    The 6ft 5in former England youth star will spend 12 months at the Priestfield Stadium after the Gills beat off interest from a number of clubs for his signature.
    Announcing the move on their website, manager Steve Evans said: “The lad has taken his time, spoken to numerous clubs and he is a superb addition.
    “I would like to acknowledge the support of Mikel Arteta and his staff at Arsenal for agreeing that Zech should continue his education here.”

Cracking youngster, he will be the next Tony Adams for us, played in the senior team against Vorskla in the Europa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's strongly rumoured that Arsenal are to announce Auba's new contract tomorrow, Friday 14th August @14:14. Willian to be announced on Saturday.

DenMan wrote: »
    It's strongly rumoured that Arsenal are to announce Auba's new contract tomorrow, Friday 14th August @14:14. Willian to be announced on Saturday.

That is so cringe if that's what they're waiting for. Christ.

I hope they’ll soon be announcing a new CB or two and a proper midfielder.

STill that could destabilze us for next season.

All the hard work gone out the window.

A successful club starts from the top. If the top of the pile is rotten such as it is now, it will easily effect everyone at the bottom, form the coaches to the players to the groundsmen etc

I wonder where we'd be if it weren't for the incredible fortune that Arteta has strong links to our club.

I mean, without that he probably wouldn't have taken the job, and our crowd would definitely not have identified his potential.

Where would we be then?

If we do announce his extension, I expect some bad news to be sneaked in alongside it.

More redundancies or something.

• Advertisement

I hope they’ll soon be announcing a new CB or two and a proper midfielder.

Will ye never learn? :D

To be fair, we should probably get one CB and a midfielder in this window. We do already have one new CB coming in, and Mari is LANS.

DenMan wrote: »

Heard there will be a joint announcement tomorrow, either way it could be a good weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

I hope they’ll soon be announcing a new CB or two.
    Probably waiting till 05/06 next year!

Only thing I can find online is Unai Emery saying that Ozil won't be selected automatically, just because he's on £350k/week.

https://arseblog.news/2019/10/emery-says-ozil-omission-is-club-strategy/

This was what I was thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I should be more excited than I am about Willian.

I see the positives in signing him but not at the rumoured cost to us over the 3 years which is reported to be up as far as around 35mil

He's wearing number 12

I had read in the days leading up to this that he'd be on 100k a week which seemed low but when you take the signing on fee and other performance related bonuses into account it'd add up.

Now Arseblog is saying he's on £250k a week... That is absolutely insane if true, good player or not. If we're after handing a 32 year old money like that on a three year deal then I really do worry about the people making the decisions at the club.

220K a week for three years for Willian plus a signing on fee???? Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

In a sense the money doesnt bother me. In another way, you'd have to wonder who makes such decisions at the club. We spent years penny pinching and still do to an extent, then we go and throw silly money at a 32 year old and give him a 3 yr contract.
    I hope its a success but it seems a gamble to take especially after we have been burnt with Ozil.
    We seem to be the only one of the big clubs that make these kind of moves

• Advertisement

People on twitter and arseblog are saying the £250k is made up of a number of things : £100k a week basic wage with his signing on fee amortised over the three years and broken down into a weekly fee. This is a strange and mischievous way of reporting the weekly wage of a player that I haven't seen before if so. Not sure where people are getting such granular figures from either.

I dunno about other people but I am invested in how Arsenal spend their money, simply because it directly affects what kind of transfer deals they can subsequently do. We are still being held back by terrible contracts given to Ozil and Mikhi as recent examples.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    People are obsessed with players wages these days, if the club want him and got him that’s should be all that matters

Normally I’d agree.
    It does sound a lot for a player of his age though and if it had been for the good midfielder or defender that we need I’d have no problem at all.
    I’ll have serious issues if we don’t get the players we need to fill gaping holes though because we’ve given Willian this massive wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Looking forward to seen him line out for us i think we will see him more centrally

Looking forward to seen him line out for us i think we will see him more centrally

Why do you think that?

Why do you think that?

Didn't Arteta say that no? I thought I read it somewhere he wants to use him as a number 10 but he can also cover a couple more positions. Maybe I'm dreaming but could have sworn a read that somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

I think the Willian deal makes more sense than it seems at first.

The 35 million quoted includes the "transfer fee" and wages as well which makes it quite good value for a play that will not need time to acclimatise to the league and surroundings. This can't be understated as we simply can't have another season of 0 creativity and an over reliance on Auba...

Willian himself stated that he prefers a central role but can play on either wing too, and is happy to accommodate the clubs needs. I have read some interviews where Arteta has suggested he would be the creative central midfielder that we badly crave. Given that we have high potential players on the wings already, him being able to cover there in case of an injury is just a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I’m happy we got Willian. He can take on players and beat them, something we sorely lack. I think he’ll be good in a central role if he’s played there.

Edit: Having watched Willian’s interview you can see that players want to come and play for Arteta. Yes, they have to say that, but it does seem genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Just heard Nova lady newsreader pronouncing new signing as Will - I - an. Priceless.

The amount arsenal Twitter are milking the Willian signing on Twitter concerns me. They've tweeted about 10 times about it, as if we've signed Messi or something.

Sure hope this isn't as good as it gets.

• Advertisement

The amount arsenal Twitter are milking the Willian signing on Twitter concerns me. They've tweeted about 10 times about it, as if we've signed Messi or something.

Sure hope this isn't as good as it gets.

It will surely get much better than this. It really has to.

I want to be positive about this, I really do.

But when you strip away everything else, you're in a situation where Arsenal are willing to pay this guy more than Chelsea. That's it.

Arsenal, who have no money, are willing to pay more than Chelsea, who have infinte money.

It just doesn't add up.

Bayern are making Barca look like Arsenal from a few years ago :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Any more word on Aubameyangs contract?

Talk going around the twittersphere that Raul could be on his way out the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Talk going around the twittersphere that Raul could be on his way out the door

Edu shouldnt be far behind him if thats the case as it looks like he brought Kia into the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I want to be positive about this, I really do.

But when you strip away everything else, you're in a situation where Arsenal are willing to pay this guy more than Chelsea. That's it.

Arsenal, who have no money, are willing to pay more than Chelsea, who have infinte money.

It just doesn't add up.

Free agents get bumper deals because there’s no transfer fee involved. I’m not overly concerned by what he’s being paid. It’s not as if he’s come in and become the clubs highest earner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

“We are announcing today that head of football Raul Sanllehi is leaving the club and Vinai Venkatesham, our current managing director, will lead us going forward”.

****in hell :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭emmetlego

WTF is that all about?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement