Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I like Laca but he's been mostly dreadful for about a year now, bring in a decent attacker and I don't think it's a huge loss if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Fulham away first game of the season, The West Ham at home before a difficult run of:
    Liverpool
    Sheff United
    Man City
    Leicester
    Man United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Rumours begining to ramp up that Gabriel the CB from Lille has been agreed at 22mil pounds with a medical to follow shortly. Sokratis could be out to Napoli as they are looking at Koulibalis replacement.

Would be great news if it turns out and with Saliba, could potentially be a strong long term solution.

Just need Auba to sign da ting! :D

Don't know if it's a good or bad thing, but we only have one of the 'big six' at home in the first half of the season, and that's Chelsea on Boxing Day.

I'm not sure how things will play out with crowds next season, but I guess it could be a good thing if crowds are allowed back to matches towards the end of next season, and we have a lot of the big teams at home in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If we get Megaheles and Partey who seems to be highly rated then it would be a good enough window. Martinelli will replace Laca if he leaves I’d say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Dont think the source is too good however :(

https://twitter.com/CannonInsider/status/1295668259887304705

My source was a tad more reliable...

Arsenal tweeted the new Adidas away kit and Auba immediately reposted a photo of himself wearing... I can't see him doing that unless the contract was sorted.
    https://twitter.com/Aubameyang7/status/1296459461125722119?s=19

In other news, I believe Magalhaes medical today

In other news, I believe Magalhaes medical today

The latest on this is that United have supposedly moved in to try to take him from under our noses.

Basil3 wrote: »
    The latest on this is that United have supposedly moved in to try to take him from under our noses.

And they have withdrawn interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

And they have withdrawn interest

Coz it's already done to Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That kit is bullshìt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I honestly think Laca’s fuc*ing awful. Have done since day one. Hope he goes.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I honestly think Laca’s fuc*ing awful. Have done since day one. Hope he goes.

Player of the year a couple of seasons ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Player of the year a couple of seasons ago

And more recently played a hugely important part in our wins over City and Chelsea to win the cup. I trust Arteta and if Laca goes so be it but I don't want him to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Lille's owner said Arsenal got “one hell of a deal” when they snaffled Nicolas Pepe last summer.
    The Gunners broke the bank to land club-record signing Pepe for £72million.
    But recently launched an investigation into their transfer dealings amid the feeling they “grossly overpaid”.
    But Gerard Lopez told talkSPORT: “Arsenal did one hell of a deal.
    “They got a player that other people wanted and they got a player who one club were offering more money for.
    “It was Pepe’s management team that asked us to go to Arsenal and so we accepted slightly less money than we would have got somewhere else – we didn’t sell him to the highest bidder.”

This tells us that something fishy was probably going on, why would a club who is selling a player accept a lower bid for him because he wanted to go to a different club? I know in an ideal world they'd care about the player and where he wanted to go but money talks these days, player wants as much money as possible and so does the club so it doesn't make sense to sell for less money. I don't think he was even at Lille for that long (just looked up 2 years) so he was hardly a club legend who was going out to pasture/moving on up to a higher level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

That Lopez guy is pally with Sanllehi. Of course he'd be trying to play down any shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

This tells us that something fishy was probably going on, why would a club who is selling a player accept a lower bid for him because he wanted to go to a different club? I know in an ideal world they'd care about the player and where he wanted to go but money talks these days, player wants as much money as possible and so does the club so it doesn't make sense to sell for less money. I don't think he was even at Lille for that long (just looked up 2 years) so he was hardly a club legend who was going out to pasture/moving on up to a higher level.

This happens a often because the player and their agents ultimately are the ones that sing the contract. The club can't force a player to sign for a team just because they offered the most.

All this airing dirty washing in the press must be doing wonders for Pepe's confidence.....

OmegaGene wrote: »
    awful is a bit strong

Yeah it is a bit, I just don’t rate him. I’d have kept Giroud, he gives you something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Had to move Giroud on to get Auba.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    And more recently played a hugely important part in our wins over City and Chelsea to win the cup. I trust Arteta and if Laca goes so be it but I don't want him to go

Always came up with a goal against the big sides aswell

I get that people like Laca, he does good work for the team. But he’s a CF whose job is to score goals week in week out, a striker. He doesn’t do that. Auba does and he’s mostly out on the left ffs.

Edit: And he didn’t score away from home for over a year. I’m sorry but that’s just sh1t.

Edit again! :) Imagine Thierry Henry or Ian Wright not scoring away from home for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I get that people like Laca, he does good work for the team. But he’s a CF whose job is to score goals week in week out, a striker. He doesn’t do that. Auba does and he’s mostly out on the left ffs.

Edit: And he didn’t score away from home for over a year. I’m sorry but that’s just sh1t.

Edit again! :) Imagine Thierry Henry or Ian Wright not scoring away from home for a year.

It’s all relative though. He was always playing second fiddle to auba in that time, played out of position and a lot of the time was only a sub. For instance if we had no auba and laca was our main striker he would have done a lot lot better. He’s 100% worth keeping just in case auba gets an injury or given how packed together next years fixtures are he could be rotated especially as martinelli looks crocked for a fair chunk of that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

It’s all relative though. He was always playing second fiddle to auba in that time, played out of position and a lot of the time was only a sub. For instance if we had no auba and laca was our main striker he would have done a lot lot better. He’s 100% worth keeping just in case auba gets an injury or given how packed together next years fixtures are he could be rotated especially as martinelli looks crocked for a fair chunk of that season.

175k a week is far too much for a squad player, our wage bill is huge, he’s already in decline, we need the cash, great time to get rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Olowu scored for Cork City against Derry, theyre currently 1 up.

Huh? He’s never been played out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Olowu scored for Cork City against Derry, theyre currently 1 up.

Never heard of him

All this airing dirty washing in the press must be doing wonders for Pepe's confidence.....

If there's one thing I'm not worried about, it's the players heads under Arteta.

I can't wait to see what he gets out of them this season.

Edit: Especially Pepe. I believe there's a magic player in there, given clear instruction and playing to his strengths.

I hope we can hold onto Cebellos too.
    He’s starting to influence games and has a great engine.

• Advertisement

I hope we can hold onto Cebellos too.
    He’s starting to influence games and has a great engine.

I’d love to keep him too. He’s everywhere on the pitch, gets stuck in and isn’t short on skill. Zidane isn’t a fan but apparently Real want to keep him, not sure how that works. Really hope we can get him. Definitely think Arteta likes him and can develop him into a great player.

I think Real saying they want to keep him is just posturing on their part, trying to see if they can get us to make a permanent offer for him.

I believe we paid a decent loan fee and his wages in full this season but I read that our opening gambit this time around was no loan fee and half his wages, so I'm not surprised Madrid weren't keen to take us up on that if true.

As much as I like Ceballos, I really don't see the point in persisting with a loan when we're rebuilding. We should be finding a long term solution in midfield.

Saw this on another thread, bit of feel good for the weekend

george.jpg

Freddie has left the club by mutual agreement, it's seemingly to allow him to be free should a management job come up

Freddie has left the club by mutual agreement, it's seemingly to allow him to be free should a management job come up

Of course he has. In much the same way everyone else in the world leaves their job in case a better one comes along.

• Advertisement

Sad to see him go but he seemed to be very much marginalised since Arteta came in. Better off getting a job closer to the action elsewhere.

Youth signing Salah Eddine 17 Yr old from Feyenourd

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Of course he has. In much the same way everyone else in the world leaves their job in case a better one comes along.

That's why I added the word seemingly..... He's apparently comfortable with the situation though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

emmetlego wrote: »

In fairness on Twitter they call him a tap in merchant:) very rarely breaks anything but tweets when it's done. But either way I'm happy it looks like we got our man

• Advertisement

I haven’t seen any interest from other clubs in the players Arteta wants to ship out. Hopefully there’s deals being done behind the scenes. We need to offload a good many in order to buy another midfielder of the required calibre.

I haven’t seen any interest from other clubs in the players Arteta wants to ship out. Hopefully there’s deals being done behind the scenes. We need to offload a good many in order to buy another midfielder of the required calibre.

Our main problem is the insane number of CB's we have at the club.

I've only really heard rumours of Sokratis to Napoli, and AMN wanted by multiple clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

FixitFelix wrote: »
    In fairness on Twitter they call him a tap in merchant:) very rarely breaks anything but tweets when it's done. But either way I'm happy it looks like we got our man

who is he? any good? what position does he play?

who is he? any good? what position does he play?

Wanted by both Napoli and United. Apparently Solksjar had been very keen to bring him to OT. Be great if he chooses Arsenal. Be interesting to see how he and Saliva develop.

greendom wrote: »
    Wanted by both Napoli and United. Apparently Solksjar had been very keen to bring him to OT. Be great if he chooses Arsenal. Be interesting to see how he and Saliva develop.

A mouth-watering proposition :pac:

I still don't understand how you can buy a decent CB for €25m. It makes zero sense to me in the market these days. Even Mustafi was £35m, and even though we overpaid, it still wasn't viewed as crazy money.

Basil3 wrote: »
    A mouth-watering proposition :pac:

I still don't understand how you can buy a decent CB for €25m. It makes zero sense to me in the market these days. Even Mustafi was £35m, and even though we overpaid, it still wasn't viewed as crazy money.

Bloody spell check ! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Young Center halfs are always gambles. But gambles we must take. You pay 50-80 million for the complete model these days aka Van Dijk, to think we could have got him off Celtic for 12 million. Think every team loses sleep over that one.

Loving that with the changes in structure these days that Arteta has more power. So hopefully he can identify defenders better then pep. They need to be fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

By all accounts, ManU made a last ditch bid to turn Gabriel’s head, but no success.

Also, this is interesting. Arteta building his team https://twitter.com/sr_collings/status/1297536535659773952?s=21

So he already has had his medical, he's signing da ting tomorrow, and he's having another medical on Tuesday? Cool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement