Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

El Sueño wrote: »
    Considering some of the handballs I've seen given this season I think that one from the Aubameyang shot should have been a penalty

Yeah I couldn't believe what I was hearing when the commentators were dismissing it as "definitely" not a penalty, especially given the last few debacles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Yeah I couldn't believe what I was hearing when the commentators were dismissing it as "definitely" not a penalty, especially given the last few debacles.

Don't get me wrong, it absolutely shouldn't be a penalty

But considering the way the rules are interpreted these days it should've been given in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

How many times haves these hit the post? 3 or 4?

I was sure that was in from Leeds there. My heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    How many times haves these hit the post? 3 or 4?

So lucky to get a point here. This is as bad an arsenal performance I've seen. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Azatadine

So lucky to get a point here. This is as bad an arsenal performance I've seen. Ever.

Couple it with the Villa one.....seems to be becoming the norm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Considering how often you walk your dog I'm not surprised by that. Take it from someone who watches every game, we've played a LOT worse.

A clean sheets for a start is a big positive.

I think we nearly played better with 10

Azatadine wrote: »
    Couple it with the Villa one.....seems to be becoming the norm....

Just as bad as the Villa one except Leeds didn't take their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Defended well. Pepe is heading closer to the exit door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm actually pleased to see Tierney so fired up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭DenMan

Much improved after that imbecile Pepe got sent off. Great game from Saka. Pleased with the point. Molde and Wolves next. COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I know the pandemic has seemed endless but do a lot of ye really not remember how bad we were under Emery at the start of last season christ the over reaction is mental

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

El Sueño wrote: »
    I think we nearly played better with 10

That was my positive take from it. We battled manfully with 10, and came closer to scoring on the counter with Saka and Aubameyang leading the charge.

I've defended Pepe somewhat here, but that was just stupid.

Just so happy with Tierney too. Love his attitude.

Anyway, take a point away from home down to 10 men as something of a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Will take the points considering the red card and the players injured. Looks like all us asking for Pepe to play are wrong as always. Arteta must see him training it isn't good enough. Would love to have see saka from the start but England over used him. Was good to see the defence battle to hang on for a point. Next game and more players making to the list of must move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Arteta absolutely fuming with Pepe in the post match interview.

Arteta putting the boot into Pepe in the interview there. Great to see. Hopefully he's shipped out in January

I know the pandemic has seemed endless but do a lot of ye really not remember how bad we were under Emery at the start of last season christ the over reaction is mental

Don't see many calling for Arteta to go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Arteta absolutely fuming with Pepe in the post match interview.

Good. What did he say ? I had to turn it off for story time :D

Arteta gets a free pass from me for 3 and a half years. Will judge him then. He has won the FA cup already and he will win the Europa League this year I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Dont let your dislike for Emery cloud this, we are creating absolutely nothing, that's the long and the short of it. Defensively we seem a bit more solid, on saying that Villa should have had about 6 against us. One goal in our last 5 games and that was a penalty. Im certainly not enjoying watching us anymore than i was a year ago.
    I still think its fair to give Arteta time but some signs of promise need to be shown sooner rather than later.
    I mean we still cant take a proper fcuking corner, that's been an issue for at least 7 or 8 years now. I dunno what we do with Pepe, he's not near good enough to be on the team, him and Ozil have been very costly mistakes

Don't see many calling for Arteta to go though.

Agreed. I think its perfectly acceptable to question the performances but that doesn't mean I'm looking for him to be sacked.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Partey and elneny were badly missed

I agree, did you ever think we'd be saying that we missed Elneny in the middle...:pac:

L'prof wrote: »
    Good. What did he say ? I had to turn it off for story time :D

He said two or three times at the start of the interview that the manner of the red was unacceptable. About a minute later then said Pepe specifically let the team down. Could tell by his tone and general demeanour that he was fcking furious. Never seen him like that before.

Last season 15 points from first 9 matches. (Incidentally 15 from first 8, it was match 9 that the wheels came off)
    This season 13 points from first 9 matches.

Last season included United, Spurs, Liverpool.
    This season included United, Liverpool, City, Leicester.

Here's the problem, when's the good run going to come? Next 6 games:
    Wolves (H)
    Spurs (A)
    Burnley (H)
    Southampton (H)
    Everton (A)
    Chelsea (H)

Even if we get an upset win over Spurs (which it very much would be, let's no delude ourselves) does anyone think we'd actually follow it up with 2 more to then face Everton and Chelsea to try and make it 5/6 wins in a row?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Decent point considering the sending off. Pepe yet again proving he’s not at the level whatsoever. Should just head off in January and do us all a favour.

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Arteta gets a free pass from me for 3 and a half years.

Jesus Christ. You in a position to hire by any chance? I'd love a job like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Did anything ever come of the investigation into Pepes transfer?

Agreed. I think its perfectly acceptable to question the performances but that doesn't mean I'm looking for him to be sacked.

The main issue I have with Arteta is that he's struggling to bring the best out of players we have. You can't tell me that what we're seeing from the likes of Pepe, Willian and Laca is the best that they can do. I'd put Auba in the same boat.

I'd go so far to say that most players individual performances have dropped under Arteta.

A big part of this can be put on the players themselves, but I really fear that Arteta has created a downward spiral with all of our attacking players. Our negative play which isn't giving them any opportunity to shine has resulted in every single one of them being out of form. It's concerning.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    The main issue I have with Arteta is that he's struggling to bring the best out of players we have. You can't tell me that what we're seeing from the likes of Pepe, Willian and Laca is the best that they can do. I'd put Auba in the same boat.

I'd go so far to say that most players individual performances have dropped under Arteta.

A big part of this can be put on the players themselves, but I really fear that Arteta has created a downward spiral with all of our attacking players. Our negative play which isn't giving them any opportunity to shine has resulted in every single one of them being out of form. It's concerning.

I think Arteta is a little obsessive about making mistakes and players have become bit more cautious and a little less willing to take risks

Even Auba has been rubbish for the last while and no point saying otherwise. Its not just lack of service either, which is a fact, but he's not really trying either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭omega man

Even Auba has been rubbish for the last while and no point saying otherwise. Its not just lack of service either, which is a fact, but he's not really trying either.

Got his new contract. Sorry I’m cynical but...

omega man wrote: »
    Got his new contract. Sorry I’m cynical but...

Maybe you're right, or he could just be in an awful run of form. Id like to think it's the latter as he does appear a likeable fella and I don't think he's the type to sit back and not try.
    But I guess you never really know with players these days

Pepe is still eligible for Europa League matches isn't he? Wonder if he'll play?

Jesus Christ. You in a position to hire by any chance? I'd love a job like that.

I'm realistic. Some of the rest of ye could do with a blast of it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

Can we have iwobi back instead of pepe
    At least he tried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,620 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When Saka received that through ball I knew he wouldn’t score. He was fearing a challenge.
    I haven’t got a confident feeling about many of our players in similar situations either.
    Years ago you just knew they’d score, players like Pires, Freddie, Bergkamp etc not to mention Henry or Wright.
    How bloody far we have fallen. Depressing football.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

This team needs David luiz to advance the ball badly, 2nd worst team in the league after Newcastle for advancing the ball into the final 3rd. 1 goal (a penalty) in our last 5 and outplayed in the majority of league games this year. We're just as bad as watching Ireland, but with Ireland their is at least some credible excuses for our sterility.

A year in charge for Arteta, very much a mixed bag but definitely more to worry about than be excited about. He's our manager till the end of the season anyway but i think a 10th place finish and a couple of cup quarter final exits beckons.

https://twitter.com/afc_ramble/status/1330608113330892800?s=20

We've destroyed Nicolas Pepe!

It was Bielsa that brought Pepe to Lille and he's a pretty good judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

There is ZERO comparison between the French league and the Premiership. That said, our system of play doesn't suit Pepe, he's more suited to counter attacking play.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Yeah turns out we got an imposter :D this fella couldn’t get into the cork city team

We must have bought another of George Weah's cousins. He's beyond terrible. (That said Weah's actual cousin, Christophre Wreh wasnt bad for us for a few months)

greendom wrote: »

He was sh1te for Emery too. He has a heart the size of a pea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

He’s either at the wrong club or in the wrong league

He was sh1te for Emery too. He has a heart the size of a pea.

What are you still doing posting coherently after the day Tipperary had!
    It was a mighty win, I'm delighted for them, they deserve it

Meh, half of those goals were pens and as someone mentioned, Ligue 1 is not near the level of the EPL. Gervinho had similar stats arriving from Ligue 1 too. Park Chu Young was also a strong player in that league.

That being said, I still think we have a player in Pepe, nightmare tonight notwithstanding. What worries me is that he's a confidence player and right now that'll be as low as it's ever been.

wonga77 wrote: »
    What are you still doing posting coherently after the day Tipperary had!
    It was a mighty win, I'm delighted for them, they deserve it

Me???? Post Coherently??? Never :D

Thanks. A great win. I'm delighted for the lads. Absolutely terrific. Pity about the hurlers but sure small margins and all that. Great day for the footballers though given the year and the same four teams in the semis... wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pepe, mental as this is, scored our last goal from open play. That one agaist Sheff Utd on the 4th of October.

Christ, is that some sort of record, I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

When Saka received that through ball I knew he wouldn’t score. He was fearing a challenge.
    I haven’t got a confident feeling about many of our players in similar situations either.
    Years ago you just knew they’d score, players like Pires, Freddie, Bergkamp etc not to mention Henry or Wright.
    How bloody far we have fallen. Depressing football.

I think he wasn't confident enough in his right foot to take it first time, once he moved it to the left, it gave the keeper time to close down the angle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,620 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gus99 wrote: »
    I think he wasn't confident enough in his right foot to take it first time, once he moved it to the left, it gave the keeper time to close down the angle

I doubt he’ll ever make a player. Same with Nelson and Willock.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

I doubt he’ll ever make a player. Same with Nelson and Willock.

I think he is a level up from both of those, think he has great potential

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement