Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

wawaman wrote: »
    We have invested, it has just been done very badly. Our selling is another area where we need to massively up the game. Some of the fees we have gotten for players is criminal. Liverpool basically paid for Van Dijk by flogging dross to Bournemouth.

We give average players long contracts, and let good players run their contracts down. So many issues with the way things have been done at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

If you take Raul at his word then this summer is a sign or sell one for Lacazette. Do we give him what I assume would be a big contract at 28 or sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭wawaman

correction wrote: »
    If you take Raul at his word then this summer is a sign or sell one for Lacazette. Do we give him what I assume would be a big contract at 28 or sell?

Lacazette isnt out of contract until 2022.

Lacazette isnt out of contract until 2022.

Yes so we will either have to renew his contract or sell to avoid him entering the final year of his contract.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/10/27/arsenal-head-footballraul-sanllehi-says-club-will-no-longer/

Yes so we will either have to renew his contract or sell to avoid him entering the final year of his contract.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/10/27/arsenal-head-footballraul-sanllehi-says-club-will-no-longer/

No, didnt do that with Aubameyang did they?

No, didnt do that with Aubameyang did they?

No but I think you could make a fair argument that Auba situation is a bit different. Don't think we could have afforded to sell him in the summer and I doubt he was willing to sign a new contract.

I would expect Laca to be dealt with one way or another this summer.

No but I think you could make a fair argument that Auba situation is a bit different. Don't think we could have afforded to sell him in the summer and I doubt he was willing to sign a new contract.

I would expect Laca to be dealt with one way or another this summer.

Cant lose both of them this summer tho !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Cant lose both of them this summer tho !

I think we can. This mentality got us where we ended up with Ozil and Sanchez.

I think with Martinelli, Nketiah, Pepe, plus one astute signing we will score goals but investing the money from the other two on someone like Ndidi and a top class centre half would have more of an impact on the team.

Imagine the following as an example:

Leno

Bellerin Koulibaly Saliba Tierney

Torreira Ndidi Ceballos

Pepe Malen Martinelli

That's a side with a very young profile but tons of potential that Arteta can develop into a class outfit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

jaysus - Utd are muck. losing 2-0 at home to a decent Burnley side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

Burnley 0-2 up against Utd at Old Trafford. Fergie must be rattling the tea cups!

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They might be muck but are we much better this season ? They are higher up in the table last time I looked
    Arsenal United chelsea and spurs have all gone to **** and even city are messing up now and then

eh? did i come across as being smug or something? ;-)

i do think if they keep playing rubbish like that we have a chance to catch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Ceballos on the way back to Madrid? Seems bizarre timing. He was playing regularly up until his injury and he's only back in full training now, it's not like he fell out of favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ceballos on the way back to Madrid? Seems bizarre timing. He was playing regularly up until his injury and he's only back in full training now, it's not like he fell out of favour.

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Either a player coming in or we’re going to rely on Willock and Guendousi.
    I’d have played Cellebos before Ozil in the next Cup game.

• Advertisement

Signing loan players with no option to buy is a fools errand for a club of our size. I'd rather give minutes to develop our own youngsters than Madrid's.

I'd be very interested in seeing Ceballos under Arteta if we had that option to buy but without that I'm not really fussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Either a player coming in or we’re going to rely on Willock and Guendousi.
    I’d have played Cellebos before Ozil in the next Cup game.

I wonder if this is to do with loan quota, I believe we only have one slot left

Interesting to read online that Lampard singled out Ozil as causing them a lot of problems with his positional play the other night, whereas people here thought he was a waste of space on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Basil3 wrote: »
    Interesting to read online that Lampard singled out Ozil as causing them a lot of problems with his positional play the other night, whereas people here thought he was a waste of space on the pitch.

Not a shot on or off target while he was on the pitch. Now I know he's not wholly to blame for that but as the main outlet of creativity I expect more and I wasn't impressed with his performance. Obviously I'm not as knowledgeable about football as Lampard so maybe I don't have a clue but to me there was a bit of a bounce in his performance when Arteta first took over but he's regressed now to the poor version of Ozil I've got used to seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I don't get it personally. I know I'm not the brightest star in the sky, and maybe Lampard saw things in Ozil's positioning that worried him, but he did nothing all night to worry them with the ball, which looking at it simplistically, is the job of an attacking footballer. Or am I wrong?

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    I don't get it personally. I know I'm not the brightest star in the sky, and maybe Lampard saw things in Ozil's positioning that worried him, but he did nothing all night to worry them with the ball, which looking at it simplistically, is the job of an attacking footballer. Or am I wrong?

I suppose if you don't worry about them before they get the ball then it's possibly already too late. He might be suggesting that because he felt the need to take measures to stop Ozil getting the ball in dangerous areas that it negatively affected them in other areas of their game.

I suppose if you don't worry about them before they get the ball then it's possibly already too late. He might be suggesting that because he felt the need to take measures to stop Ozil getting the ball in dangerous areas that it negatively affected them in other areas of their game.

That makes sense I guess. He was so poor the other night though. And when he went off I felt we looked much more in control.

That makes sense I guess. He was so poor the other night though. And when he went off I felt we looked much more in control.

I didn't think he was great either but not bad enough to deserve special criticism, unless you're the kind to to expect 350k worth a performances every week but that just isn't going to happen.

Even in his prime he would be the first player you'd take off if a defender got sent off tbf. He's definitely never been a player you'd want in the middle of a 4-4-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So you're saying the Ozil didn't cause any problems but Lampard feared him enough that his own tactics caused Chelsea problems? :confused:

Quazzie wrote: »
    So you're saying the Ozil didn't cause any problems but Lampard feared him enough that his own tactics caused Chelsea problems? :confused:

No. I'm suggesting, based on what Lampard has said, that maybe by ensuring Ozil could not cause them problems in turn resulted in other tactical issues for Chelsea. He talked about his positioning and pulling into wide areas troubling them. Maybe he committed a man to watch those areas which in turn left apce in other areas. I don't know any of these things, just speculating on what Lampard means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah it's probably cos Ozil's movement pulled chelsea players out of position leaving space for other arsenal players

Yeah it's probably cos Ozil's movement pulled chelsea players out of position leaving space for other arsenal players

more fool Chelsea! They should have just ignored him - he does very little when he gets the ball anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

greendom wrote: »
    more fool Chelsea! They should have just ignored him - he does very little when he gets the ball anyway!

Maybe Lampard can remember as far back as 4 weeks ago when Ozil was outstanding in the first 30 mins against Chelsea and all Arsenal's best moments came through him, we were still winning 1-0 when he was substiuted as well.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Maybe Lampard can remember as far back as 4 weeks ago when Ozil was outstanding in the first 30 mins against Chelsea and all Arsenal's best moments came through him, we were still winning 1-0 when he was substiuted as well.
    Wish Ozil could remember how to play like that again!

Wish Ozil could remember how to play like that again!

I think a goal would do him the world of good... almost as much as the 7/1 bet I had on Burnley last night :)

• Advertisement

Sky reporting Ceballos wanting to return to Madrid now.

But what's he's next move then? He came to Arsenal because he wanted first team football so he could make the Euro's. Well if he isnt capable or willing to compete with Xakha, Torreria, Guendozi, Wilcock etc. then he has no business either at Real or at the Euro's.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    nobody really knows what is going on and hopefully it becomes real madrids problem now.
    maybe Arteta doesnt want or rate him and chose to feck him off, hes only just regained fitness after his injury.

Yeah it's a strange one, would certainly rate him myself from the little we saw and is better than what we have.

I suspect that Arteta is looking at the longer game, and loan deals with no option to buy are folly in that regard.

He was really starting to play well before his injury and I felt he’d be a good addition to our squad. Maybe there’s another reason he’s leaving and why he hasn’t got playing time since his recovery. We don’t know what goes on behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I’m not too disappointed at this news. It was always just a season long loan with no option to buy. So he never had a long term future at the club. Would have been different if the option to buy was there. I think there is a player there, but we won’t be seeing it at Arsenal.

He's one of those whose extremely gifted technically but he isn't creative enough to be a 10, isn't defensively sound enough to be a 6 and doesn't have the physicality to be an 8. That's my reading of him in his limited time here at least. I'd have been interested to see him as a floating left winger type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He's one of those whose extremely gifted technically but he isn't creative enough to be a 10, isn't defensively sound enough to be a 6 and doesn't have the physicality to be an 8. That's my reading of him in his limited time here at least. I'd have been interested to see him as a floating left winger type.

Reminds me of Ramsey with less defensive capabilities. Great dribbler from what I’ve seen of him. He’s somewhere halfway between a box to box CM and a number 10, with the right partner in midfield he’ll make a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I suppose it was all bad timing with Ceballos. He got injured, the team went to shit, the manager lost the dressing-room and it all just piled up. I can't blame him for thinking maybe it's time to cut his losses. I don't know how much of a loss it is, it was a bit of a shot in the dark for all concerned. He did look good against Burnley, but it's one thing to look good against out of form opposition, at home, when the last bits of summer sun are still shining.

I love this. It's the sideline cam from Stamford Bridge focused on Mikel. He is so different from Emery and even Wenger with his instructions to players etc. YOUTUBE LINK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I love this. It's the sideline cam from Stamford Bridge focused on Mikel. He is so different from Emery and even Wenger with his instructions to players etc. YOUTUBE LINK

Good watch!

How he fcuked the two lads back to the bench was ruthless, great to see

"I don't know if it's possible or not, but I want to play one more game for Arsenal before I retire. It was a deep regret that I could never have a proper goodbye."

- Santi Cazorla

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/arsenal-fans-want-santi-cazorla-20893233

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

"I don't know if it's possible or not, but I want to play one more game for Arsenal before I retire. It was a deep regret that I could never have a proper goodbye."

- Santi Cazorla

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/arsenal-fans-want-santi-cazorla-20893233

The man should be given a testimonial in my opinion. Was a loyal servant of the club and gave absolutely everything for the club and the game.

- Santi Cazorla

He can play 38 games here next season if he wants.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Good watch!

How he fcuked the two lads back to the bench was ruthless, great to see

yeah, it was great. Poor Eddie was celebrating the goal and smiling when Arteta told him he wasn't going on! must have been mixed feelings for him.

Sokratis back in full training

Reiss Nelson & Kola back in training early Feb

Chambers 6 to 9 months away

Tierney about 1 to 2 months away

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    The man should be given a testimonial in my opinion. Was a loyal servant of the club and gave absolutely everything for the club and the game.

Assumed when he was let go he was done. Really baffling.

I think the common thought in him was that he was done. It’s fantastic to see him back playing and I’d love to see him come home! I loved little Santi!

Twitter full of news that Thomas Lemar is joining Arsenal as is a centre half Matvienko. The stories about the PSG left back have all but faded away.

Rumours that Pablo Mari a Spanish centre back currently with Flamengo is about to sign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Rumours that Pablo Mari a Spanish centre back currently with Flamengo is about to sign

Seen people on Twitter ( I know :rolleyes:) saying that he’s worse than Mustafi. Never heard of him myself.

A quick Wikipedia look at his career. Spent the majority of his career in the Spanish second division, had a brief spell at Man City, but never played. Then ended up in Flamengo in Brazil. On paper it sounds like a bizarre signing. Would rather take a punt on that Ukrainian Centre back at Shakhtar.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement