Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They’re 2 down and still sitting back??

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How the hell did it take that long to decide he wasn't offside ffs.

A godawful system that should be far more simplified than this nonsense.

Good save from Martinez. That ball came off the ground like a bullet.
    Martinelli though...... im going to go out on a limb her and suggest he would get games on that invincible squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

Martinelli though...... im going to go out on a limb her and suggest he would get games on that invincible squad

Your drunk, go home.

ImANoob08 wrote: »
    Your drunk, go home.

I know, i know, too early yet...but christ his touches and speed at times are a thing of beauty. I love the fact that he's been sensational for us after United had him on four trials :D:D

I think he'll be unreal though. I really do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How the hell did it take that long to decide he wasn't offside ffs.

Why do people get so annoyed at waiting 60-90 seconds for VAR to make sure the decision is correct?

Every other sport is about the same wait but nobody complains.

Sure it takes 30-40 seconds to restart everytime theres a goal kick which is a lot worse IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Good save from Martinez. That ball came off the ground like a bullet.

Better than Alialidiere for sure

No VAR for that? Not that different to Aubemeyang against Palace

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Mustafi finishing early with injury, he was having a decent game today

Looks quite bad on the replay. Hope he hasn't ruptured his Achilles or something.

al87987 wrote: »
    Why do people get so annoyed at waiting 60-90 seconds for VAR to make sure the decision is correct?

Sure it takes 30-40 seconds to restart everytime theres a goal kick which is a lot worse IMO.

Its not so much the use of the technology, but the offside rule itself is gone way too precise. Jack Grealish was offside by an ankle the other day. I think they should try and establish whether there is daylight between the attacker and defender and if there isnt then its onside

Agree with you on the restarts though.

• Advertisement

Mustafi finishing early with injury, he was having a decent game today

I actually feel bad for him here. A stupid pass put back into his danger zone from the midfield and the goalie never called.

greendom wrote: »
    Better than Alialidiere for sure

:D i wonder was Aliadiere too fond of the page 3 models?

Nketiah looks incredibly rusty. If WBA was Gnabrys worst move then Leeds wasnt too good for Eddie either. He'd have got more playing time for our u23s.

Very impressed with Ake tonight. I think we would improve 10 fold if we signed him. He has made some brilliant defensive clearances and blocks tonight

Its not so much the use of the technology, but the offside rule itself is gone way too precise. Jack Grealish was offside by an ankle the other day. I think they should try and establish whether there is daylight between the attacker and defender and if there isnt then its onside

Agree with you on the restarts though.

I get what you mean, visually sometimes the offside law looks a bit off but the current iteration of the law is the only way to do it properly.

Daylight and level etc... aren't really quantifiable, but somebody's part of the body being offside is easily measured and accurate.

How many stoppages has there been in this game by the way? No flow to it.

Bournemouth giving us more of a game this half. 15 minutes to keep them at bay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Good performance we've been in total control for most of the game

Fell asleep there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

5 minutes of terror now.

We just can't keep clean sheets in games where we should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

An away win eh? That’s what it feels like!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Martin Atkinson was willing them to score prick

Bournemouth are dirty buggers. Atkinson didnt pull them up on half enough of their cynical play. Good win tonight. Pity about the late concession. VAR fail for the goal replay. No transparency whatsoever, just take them at their word its a goal :rolleyes:

Bournemouth are dirty buggers. Atkinson didnt pull them up on half enough of their cynical play. Good win tonight. Pity about the late concession. VAR fail for the goal replay. No transparency whatsoever, just take them at their word its a goal :rolleyes:

Endless replays for the Arsenal goal and yet they put the intern on for the Bournemouth one. Really looked like there was a touch before it fell to Sturridge but no check of that at all.

greendom wrote: »
    Endless replays for the Arsenal goal and yet they put the intern on for the Bournemouth one. Really looked like there was a touch before it fell to Sturridge but no check of that at all.

An absolute shambles what happened tonight. VAR wasnt even needed to prove Ake played Eddie on and yet we werent even afforded the fairness of transparency. Suppose it took until midnight they should have waited until that goal was properly showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Good result away from home with a young squad. Willock has the brains for top level it seems but Saka really is something, along with Nelson its great to see academy players in the squad and performing.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

As much as i want it, i dont think Eddie is good enough

I know, i know, too early yet...but christ his touches and speed at times are a thing of beauty. I love the fact that he's been sensational for us after United had him on four trials :D:D

I think he'll be unreal though. I really do

Oh I agree he looks like a great talent, hopefully arteta and the club can help him improve and get the best out of him.

Have you been to a game yet this year with VAR?

Whatever about the effect it has when watching at home it really kills the whole atmosphere in the stadium.

ImANoob08 wrote: »
    Have you been to a game yet this year with VAR?

Whatever about the effect it has when watching at home it really kills the whole atmosphere in the stadium.

I haven't and i appreciate the wait isn't great when you can't see the review itself.

However the atmosphere is killed just as much by a stoppage for an injury, time wasting over set pieces etc... The amount of time wasted today was ridiculous.

Don't understand the hatred for VAR at all, these are the big moments in a match, they should definitely take the time to make sure correct decision has been made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I haven't and i appreciate the wait isn't great when you can't see the review itself.

However the atmosphere is killed just as much by a stoppage for an injury, time wasting over set pieces etc... The amount of time wasted today was ridiculous.

Don't understand the hatred for VAR at all, these are the big moments in a match, they should definitely take the time to make sure correct decision has been made.

I'm with ImANoob08 on this one. VAR stoppage is infinitely worse that injury or set play, especially if you are waiting for a result in your favour. Can be sick to the stomach & whereas aftern an injury players get back into a match, VAR seem to break the flow completely for some reason.

I'm with ImANoob08 on this one. VAR stoppage is infinitely worse that injury or set play, especially if you are waiting for a result in your favour. Can be sick to the stomach & whereas aftern an injury players get back into a match, VAR seem to break the flow completely for some reason.

There's multiple ways they can improve it. Firstly, they could be way more proactive in checking things. The offside for our goal could have been checked immediately, and no offside relayed to the ref without stopping the celebrations. At the moment, it's like they don't even start checking it until well after the goal is scored, and while everyone is waiting. It's bizarre.

They could also use some kind of similar system to tennis or cricket where you have a certain number of VAR appeals in a match, so each team can ask for a VAR enquiry once or twice in a match, but that's it.

As a rugby fan first and foremost, I'm used to the TMO having to check the legality of tries. It has no real impact on the way I'd celebrate, and sometimes the tension around a decision even adds to the atmosphere. Rugby naturally has more breaks in play, so probably has less impact in that respect. On the flip side, football has a ridiculous amount of time-wasting shenanigans which are much more annoying than waiting for a VAR decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I know what you mean but what’s the alternative? The technology works well, but as has been said loads of times this season it’s the implementation inconsistent use of it that causes so much frustration.

For key moments like a goal, I’m happy enough to accept a slight delay if it reduces the. Umber of wrong decisions being made. Comparisons with TMO in rugby etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

The inconsistency in how VAR is applied doesn't help. For example, Nketiah's goal could've been disallowed because Martinelli may have strayed offside, even though he didn't get near the ball, while at Stamford Bridge, Tammy Abraham was very much offside and in Leno's line of vision when Azpilicueta scored and it wasn't even reviewed. It's all down to how the VAR official interprets the situation, so it'll never be consistent.

I much prefer the rugby TMO where the referee instigates the investigation and generally provides the criteria - "I'm ok with the pass, but not sure on the grounding" or "There may have been a forward pass, can you check for that?" Also, the screens show what the TMO is looking at, which really does add to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think it is in the nature of the VAR to be slow.

I play table tennis and the international federation recently introduced the TTR (Table Tennis Review) in some of the big tournaments.
    The format is more like in tennis, where the player can challenge an umpire's decision and they have 2 challenges per match - if challenge is successful, then they still have 2, if not they lose 1 etc.

The review also takes a long time - could be up to a minute, as they have multiple cameras and they need to go through at least some of them to make sure that the decision of the umpire was correct or not.
    For sure, not directly comparable to football.

For me VAR is kind of a necessary evil. It is useful to catch obvious mistakes. Like Basil3 said above a little bit of proactiveness is needed, so it doesn't end up trying to find "needles in a haystack". . .

lets forget VAR for now and enjoy the away win and how well the lads played for most of the game

They did play well didn’t they? Even mustafi!

• Advertisement

One thing I'm hoping will come is more shots and shots on goal. Despite looking well in control last night, we still only had something like 7 shots and 3 on target. We really should be creating more than that.

Basil3 wrote: »
    One thing I'm hoping will come is more shots and shots on goal. Despite looking well in control last night, we still only had something like 7 shots and 3 on target. We really should be creating more than that.

Agree Basil and I'm sure that will come. One big difference is that we are now not allowing so many shots on our goal. A real sign that defensive solidity and organisation has improved

Did we get a new defensive coach?
    I noticed that when Sake was going forward last night Xhaka moved to left back and Guendousi often sat in the Torreira role just in from the back four.

I noticed that when Sake was going forward last night Xhaka moved to left back and Guendousi often sat in the Torreira role just in from the back four.

We have been doing that since Arteta came in. Xhaka moves into a LB position where he's not as exposed as when he's in the middle, but it gives him the chance to use his long-ball passing to get us moving forward.

Basil3 wrote: »
    We have been doing that since Arteta came in. Xhaka moves into a LB position where he's not as exposed as when he's in the middle, but it gives him the chance to use his long-ball passing to get us moving forward.

And it worked last night as saka was very effective going forward. Xhaka seemed to spend a lot of the game at left back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I did notice that, and also Bellerin regularly showing up in central midfield. Seemed to work better for Saka, but very interesting.

I agree with VAR in principle but the way it's being done at the moment is killing the game.

I think an injury is totally different so can't be compared and they are trying to stop time wasting by booking players etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

sprained ankle for mustafi so he wont be out for too long

It looked a lot worse, I thought he’d popped his Achilles the way he landed. Glad for his sake it’s nothing too major.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Was full sure it was a minimum of a 3 month ankle ligament injury or as Bobby said above, the dreaded achilles. Looked a lot worse.

Unless sneaky Arsenal are just saying that to take off the extra few millions that other clubs will look from us as we're that desperate for a centre half... Conspiracy theory!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

sprained ankle for mustafi so he wont be out for too long

The fact that we are worried about musafi's injury is unimaginable only 2 months ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I like the "Fulfils Arteta request for left-footed centre-back" part as if that was the only requirement. If he had asked for a right footed CB the boys would've got him Titus Bramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

I'm guessing none of us have seen this guy play, wondering what type of center back he is?

Hope he isn't another cygan/squallaci.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I'm guessing none of us have seen this guy play, wondering what type of center back he is?

Hope he isn't another cygan/squallaci.

Did he play against Liverpool in the Club World Cup for Flamengo? I watched that game.

I watched that game but wasn't watching out for him.

Apparently he's commanding, good with the ball at his feet and at 6ft 4" he's tall enough. Some issues over his pace apparently. Not had a spectacular career so far but perhaps he's just maturing now. Copa Libertadores winner is not to be sniffed at anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement