Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Rome wasn't built in a day, will ye all calm the **** down. Judge the man this time next season. The team has barely trained with so many matches over December, January.

Negative people piss of till next season please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Roma wasn't built in a day, will ye all calm the **** down. Judge the man this time next season. The team has barely trained with so many matches over December, January.

Negative people piss of till next season please.

Rome wasn't built on a couple of last minute loan signings either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Draw was a decent result as we could have easily lost, seemed like all our midfielders and attackers were poor.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Nobody signs big in January, I don't know what your expecting for Arteta to do different in 7/8 games with very little training. This is elite sports, takes time for it all to click again. Example LIVERPOOL. Look at kloop record at the start of Liverpool..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nobody signs big in January, I don't know what your expecting for Arteta to do different in 7/8 games with very little training. This is elite sports, takes time for it all to click again. Example LIVERPOOL. Look at kloop record at the start of Liverpool..

It’s his team selections I can’t figure out. Starting Guendousi and Ozil in midfield today away to Burnley I just didn’t get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So what would you have done differently, under the same constraint as arteta was under ?

Remember it's not football manager we're playing here

It’s his team selections I can’t figure out. Starting Guendousi and Ozil in midfield today away to Burnley I just didn’t get.

Got to trust the man. He sees them train

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

As frustrating as ozil is when you watch on the TV the times I've seen him play he's been different class..

One example was the arsenal Chelsea game at the aviva (I know it was a friendly.) but it was as if he was so far ahead of his team mates they were making him look bad.

Making space for himself to play a pass and the lads not making the right runs.

I find players can look totally different on TV than in person.

And as said before arteta sees them train so we need to trust him, could also be argued that Burnley would sit off us and we would need a player with ozils qualities to break them down, just didn't pay off today.

We see them play.
    No way did I expect Ozil to get very involved in that game today. He hides against big physical players, we’ve seen it often enough. He’s the player with the most ability but he hides in games like today. Guendousi didn’t suit that game today either. He’s a poor player and his passing is not up to the mark as he very often puts the ball behind the running player instead of in front of him. I’d have started Torreira all day.

We see them play.
    No way did I expect Ozil to get very involved in that game today. He hides against big physical players, we’ve seen it often enough. He’s the player with the most ability but he hides in games like today. Guendousi didn’t suit that game today either. He’s a poor player and his passing is not up to the mark as he very often puts the ball behind the running player instead of in front of him. I’d have started Torreira all day.

It's real easy to **** on young talent like guendouzi but I'm pretty sure he goes out there to do the very best he can. Young talent takes time. Never gonna be a Vieira out of the box.

As for Ozil. Always want him on the field. Hardest part of football is the final pass. People will disagree with me but it's my opinion and I rate him highly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's real easy to **** on young talent like guendouzi but I'm pretty sure he goes out there to do the very best he can.
    That's all well and good. But we should be playing our best players, not the players who try the most. This isn't the annual sports day in Primary school where everyone gets a medal. Better players make the team winners. It's a professional football club not the X Factor.
    Young talent takes time. Never gonna be a Vieira out of the box.
    Excellent. We have an U23s team to make that transition, if it is ever going to happen. Personally I don't think it will.

Quazzie wrote: »
    That's all well and good. But we should be playing our best players, not the players who try the most. This isn't the annual sports day in Primary school where everyone gets a medal. Better players make the team winners. It's a professional football club not the X Factor.

Excellent. We have an U23s team to make that transition, if it is ever going to happen. Personally I don't think it will.

If you don't play youth then they have no hope. Might as well be man city and just buy fully developed talent. No body plays amazing every weekend when young. Very very harsh to rip them apart for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If you don't play youth then the have no hope. Might as well be man city and just buy fully developed talent. No body plays amazing every week when young. Very very harsh to rip them apart for that

When was the last time he played well, never mind amazing?

Quazzie wrote: »
    When was the last time he played well, never mind amazing?

Against Chelsea when he came on and we were down to 10, he was brilliant

It's real easy to **** on young talent like guendouzi but I'm pretty sure he goes out there to do the very best he can. Young talent takes time. Never gonna be a Vieira out of the box.

As for Ozil. Always want him on the field. Hardest part of football is the final pass. People will disagree with me but it's my opinion and I rate him highly

Guendousi obviously does try hard and gives his best.
    His best is hardly good enough though.
    When has he actually put in a match winning performance?

Guendousi obviously does try hard and gives his best.
    His best is hardly good enough though.
    When has he actually put in a match winning performance?

He is 20..... My god, would love to see how brilliant ye were at anything at 20. Give the guy time.

He is 20..... My god, would love to see how brilliant ye were at anything at 20. Give the guy time.

He is getting time.
    The point is that he shouldn’t be starting in a game away at Burnley. I think it’s a bad call.

He is getting time.
    The point is that he shouldn’t be starting in a game away at Burnley. I think it’s a bad call.

I disagree, so we agree to differ. U only learn from mistakes.

Never play him away from home is your answer. U gotta trust young to let it grow and develop. Look at Trent at Liverpool. He was shocking when he played

I disagree, so we agree to differ. U only learn from mistakes.

Never play him away from home is your answer. U gotta trust young to let it grow and develop. Look at Trent at Liverpool. He was shocking when he played

Indeed. It’s all about opinions. That’s why we’re here.

Indeed. It’s all about opinions. That’s why we’re here.

Will always be a guy that supports giving young guys game time. I think guendouzi will develop into a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

I think Arteta will send Guendouzi out on loan lads this summer to help him. I'm really excited about this summer and Arteta will be massively busy. This season isn't a write-off, it's a learning curve and the chance to write the many wrongs of seasons of the past when the team wasn't properly addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

It was built by slaves actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Where was that logic when you were having a meltdown over ozil not playing a few months ago? It's great when you can change your mind to suit your point of view.
    Fwiw I find guendouzi incredibly frustrating, brilliant at times but very inconsistant, maybe it's the constant whining to the ref to get players booked that annoys me, this waving the imaginary card sickens my sh1t

wonga77 wrote: »
    Where was that logic when you were having a meltdown over ozil not playing a few months ago? It's great when you can change your mind to suit your point of view.
    Fwiw I find guendouzi incredibly frustrating, brilliant at times but very inconsistant, maybe it's the constant whining to the ref to get players booked that annoys me, this waving the imaginary card sickens my sh1t

Wasn't Arteta a few months ago was it. Was well into Emery time in charge, so they are about 100% different points. We will see in the long game who was right about guendouzi

I do think we're at a stage where our team is going to change massively over the next 18 months and has already changed hugely

Monreal , Koscielny, Cech , Welback , Sanchez , Iwobi , Wilshire , Ramsey , Santi , all gone in the last 2 years players who have all played massive parts in the side in the last decade you could say you could even add Ox to that

this coinciding with massive structural change behind the scenes aswell, it was never going to be easy especially when they got the 1st managerial appoinment wrong , I think we've got a good core of youth coming through now (we have to be patient with them) and we're looking at 3 of our front 4 potentially leaving aswell

Liverpool went through this , hell Leicester did aswell in the last few years , as did Chelsea post mourinho , United have been going through since ferguson left

I would definitely say patience is the word here , I do think we're on to something with Arteta if im been honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

DenMan wrote: »
    I think Arteta will send Guendouzi out on loan lads this summer to help him. I'm really excited about this summer and Arteta will be massively busy. This season isn't a write-off, it's a learning curve and the chance to write the many wrongs of seasons of the past when the team wasn't properly addressed.

Where would guendouzi be a first choice starter? For Burnley, palace, West Ham, watford.

He wouldn’t get a game anywhere in this league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Where would guendouzi be a first choice starter? For Burnley, palace, West Ham, watford.

That's disingenuous. He's got the potential to be a far better player than the vast majority of players at those clubs. He just needs to add more goals and assists to his game but he is 20 and we would do well to remember that.

The clubs listed above are among the 12-14 in the league who aim to survive every season. They are not able to risk playing potential players they need experienced hands who can do a job and for the most part that is what they have.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That's disingenuous. He's got the potential to be a far better player than the vast majority of players at those clubs. He just needs to add more goals and assists to his game but he is 20 and we would do well to remember that.

The clubs listed above are among the 12-14 in the league who aim to survive every season. They are not able to risk playing potential players they need experienced hands who can do a job and for the most part that is what they have.

I agree with you. But my point still stands. He wouldn’t get a game in this league because he’s too weak...passing and decision making is still horrendous. He just wouldn’t get a game. Potential is a totally different thing, yeah he has it, and yeah I think he’s gonna be a good player some day. But right now he’s not good enough for this league. He got very lucky getting catapulted into our first team and staying there. He’s u23 level.

From watching match of the day as well as the match..many of the moves we got chances from started from guendouzi playing the ball out from midfielder. U just seem to hold onto his mistakes only. Not how it works I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

I agree. He tries hard but his passing is weak and his decision making is slow.
    I think he maybe had one assist in the league last season, no goals either, in 23 appearances. I don’t think he had any assists this season and no goals either.
    Not Premiership quality so far imo. His pass completion is probably around 90% but they’re usually backwards or sideways, very few if any telling passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yeah we need big signings at centre mid. Torreira probably should have started that game over Guendouzi who should be loaned out. Ceballos doesn’t look like he’s gonna work out either. Lads like Ramsey and Cazorla were never replaced and now we’re stuck with wasters like Xhaka as one of our best midfielders. You’d even miss Wilshere when you have to watch Guendouzi on ice of a Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I agree. He tries hard but his passing is weak and his decision making is slow.
    I think he maybe had one assist in the league last season, no goals either, in 23 appearances. I don’t think he had any assists this season and no goals either.
    Not Premiership quality so far imo. His pass completion is probably around 90% but they’re usually backwards or sideways, very few if any telling passes.

Did you watch the Bournemouth game? He was MOTM. The amount of times he won the ball back and then distributed the ball cleanly was phenomenal. He needs to add consistency to his game and he'll be the first name on the team sheet.

greendom wrote: »
    Did you watch the Bournemouth game? He was MOTM. The amount of times he won the ball back and then distributed the ball cleanly was phenomenal. He needs to add consistency to his game and he'll be the first name on the team sheet.

What’s seldom is wonderful. He’s not creating enough, he dawdles on the ball and imo slows play up.
    I hope you’re right and he does become the players who’s first on the team sheet though.

Jesus from reading some of the comments here either I know nothing about football or a lot of people in here do.

I'll keep my opinion on the matteo issue to myself as I wouldnt want to rev some people up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

ImANoob08 wrote: »
    Jesus from reading some of the comments here either I know nothing about football or a lot of people in here do.

I'll keep my opinion on the matteo issue to myself as I wouldnt want to rev some people up.

Go for it! It's all opinions. No one right or wrong

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Go for it! It's all opinions. No one right or wrong

Now I just feel like if I do I was just attention seeking looking for someone to ask so I'll just stay out of it ha

Not Premier League Level ? under 23 level ? wouldn't get in anyone else's team ?

Yet gets called up to the World Champions France squad ......funny that

Not Premier League Level ? under 23 level ? wouldn't get in anyone else's team ?

Yet gets called up to the World Champions France squad ......funny that

This isn’t a witch hunt... he would come back a far better player if he was loaned out to a decent championship team imo. Right now he isn’t good enough. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

This isn’t a witch hunt... he would come back a far better player if he was loaned out to a decent championship team imo. Right now he isn’t good enough. That’s all.

100% agree. It speaks more about the state of our midfield that we're relying on such an inexperienced player. A year at a decent championship side or even abroad would be superb for him, especially not at a side that relies on him so heavily.

Guendouzi in the championship.... Ah come on your having a laugh. Not a hope

• Advertisement

Guendouzi in the championship.... Ah come on your having a laugh. Not a hope

I’ll say this then. If he’s not good enough for the PL and he wouldn’t survive in the championship why are we playing him?

I’ll say this then. If he’s not good enough for the PL and he wouldn’t survive in the championship why are we playing him?

He is good enough. If u miss place a few passes ye have the door open and pushing them out. What a joke when your meant to support the club. If saka has a bad few games ye will be after his head too. Then martinelli ...

He is good enough. If u miss place a few passes ye have the door open and pushing them out. What a joke when your meant to support the club. If saka has a bad few games ye will be after his head too. Then martinelli ...

You’re really assuming a lot. It’s not “a few misplaced passes”. We’ve been watching him go backwards for two years. Why do you get so butt hurt at the thought that he’s not good enough? The jury is still out on Saka by the way. Look for example, NOBODY here was happy with xhaka at the start of the season, Arteta came in and now look at him, he’s 10x the player he has been for the previous two years. It’s not a witch hunt, don’t get butt hurt.

You’re really assuming a lot. It’s not “a few misplaced passes”. We’ve been watching him go backwards for two years. Why do you get so butt hurt at the thought that he’s not good enough? The jury is still out on Saka by the way. Look for example, NOBODY here was happy with xhaka at the start of the season, Arteta came in and now look at him, he’s 10x the player he has been for the previous two years. It’s not a witch hunt, don’t get butt hurt.

Butt hurt hahahaha....... My issues is fans been too quick to **** on young talent. I like been a club that plays youth. Don't want to sell guendouzi and buy another 27/28 year old who won't be better then him. I have my eggs in the guendouzi basket. Plus very hard for player to find form unless they get a run of 5/6 games in a row.

Butt hurt hahahaha....... My issues is fans been too quick to **** on young talent. I like been a club that plays youth. Don't want to sell guendouzi and buy another 27/28 year old who won't be better then him. I have my eggs in the guendouzi basket. Plus very hard for player to find form unless they get a run of 5/6 games in a row.

Well fair play to ya, that's your opinion. I disagree with you but that's what we do here. Personally I think he's gonna be a great player, but I'd rather he gets some real game time elsewhere.

Problem with Guendouzi is/was Emery as the lads said he was never bought as a 1st team starter he was someone who was to be playing u23s initially , but he had a few good games in preseason and all of a sudden he was starting before Torreria

Sort of similar to Martinelli this season who despite his goals has had a number of poor games this season but people don't notice because he gets some goals , it's the same with all the kids , willock, nelson , smyth rowe and sake , all massive potential and some great games but there kids they'll get better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Surprised to see how lukewarm people are on Guendouzi.

He's not the finished article, but I think he's pretty great. I think there's no chance he'll be sent out on loan

When we were in the doldrums with Emery there were a number of games where he seemed to be the only part of the team that functioned. I remember him giving a pretty inspirational performance from midfield in the home draw with Spurs earlier in the season - it felt like he was the one leading the team. Go back and read the posts from that day: people were raving about him. And his arrival in the game against Chelsea made a huge and immediate difference to the performance level. Seriously, lads, he's raw and all, but I think he's quite good: it all feels like a bit of short memory syndrome once again. He doesn't hide either, seems to always want the ball and to be involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Well fair play to ya, that's your opinion. I disagree with you but that's what we do here. Personally I think he's gonna be a great player, but I'd rather he gets some real game time elsewhere.

Send him to the likes of Tony Pulis...or keep him at the club and have him develop into the best player he can be by the guy that is credited with the development of Raheem Sterling and others. I know which I'd prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I agree with you. But my point still stands. He wouldn’t get a game in this league because he’s too weak...passing and decision making is still horrendous. He just wouldn’t get a game. Potential is a totally different thing, yeah he has it, and yeah I think he’s gonna be a good player some day. But right now he’s not good enough for this league. He got very lucky getting catapulted into our first team and staying there. He’s u23 level.

Ah here lads, there's hyperbole and then there is just plain silly! So all these players who are regular starters are better that Guendouzi, and this is just off the top of my head - Telttley, McClean, McArthur, Bentaleb, McCarthy, Gosling, Lerma, Nakamba and I'm sure there is at least another dozen.

Any legitimate criticism/concern is completly lost with OTT statements like this.

No wonder we’re 10th if people think this lad is already good enough to start games ahead of Torreira. He may be in the future but he’s definitely not now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement