Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

No wonder we’re 10th if people think this lad is already good enough to start games ahead of Torreira. He may be in the future but he’s definitely not now.

Yes, that's how it works, peoples views on here have a direct correlation on where we are in the table.

Jaysus it that wads the case and they only took your posts into account we'd be lucky to be in the conference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Yes, that's how it works, peoples views on here have a direct correlation on where we are in the table.

Jaysus it that wads the case and they only took your posts into account we'd be lucky to be in the conference!

Well obviously the people who decide hold the same view as you do. So we’re 10th.
    Do you think Torreira is a Conference player? Your post suggests so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Basically Xhaka is now playing well so the noose is off his neck and must go on someone else to blame so Guendouzi is the unlucky one until he has a few good games and it moves on again........ Saka maybe? Leno maybe? Back on mustafi perhaps

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Basically Xhaka is now playing well so the noose is off his neck and must go on someone else to blame so Guendouzi is the unlucky one until he has a few good games and it moves on again........ Saka maybe? Leno maybe? Back on mustafi perhaps

Not a very well thought out post at all.

My initial post was regarding the selection of Guendousi and Ozil in a match away to a big tough Burnley team. You can go back and read it.
    I was against selecting either as Ozil doesn’t possess a lot of eagerness or aggression in a tough battle and Guendousi should never have started ahead of Torreira. Horses for courses so to speak.

I still stick by my view and I think the performances bore out how I felt.
    There are easier games to start both in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Not a very well thought out post at all.

My initial post was regarding the selection of Guendousi and Ozil in a match away to a big tough Burnley team. You can go back and read it.
    I was against selecting either as Ozil doesn’t possess a lot of eagerness or aggression in a tough battle and Guendousi should never have started ahead of Torreira. Horses for courses so to speak.

I still stick by my view and I think the performances bore out how I felt.
    There are easier games to start both in.

Was talking about the Guendouzi bashing in general, not just your one comment. Why I didn't tag one direct comment.

You swear we lost the game 3-0 by how not up for it Guendouzi and ozil were. I'm guessing with your strong feeling if we played torriera and willock we would have won comfortable???

Was talking about the Guendouzi bashing I'm general, not just your one comment. You swear we lost the game 3-0 by how not up for it Guendouzi and ozil were. I'm guessing with your strong feeling if we played torriera and willock we would have won comfortable???

I don’t know how we’d have done with a different selection.
    I’m just saying that I wouldn’t have started those two away at Burnley and it’s based on past performances. They are always going to try to out-muscle you just like Brighton do and Stoke used to do. You have to be prepared for a tough match.
    I’d have no problem starting them at home against Norwich or Villa for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

Careful now...

I got a yellow card from a mod in this thread for suggesting this thread just picks one scape goat after the next.

Apparently, according to the mod, by pointing this out I wasn't an arsenal fan.

Think you have to pick a scape goat to be an arsenal fan now.

ImANoob08 wrote: »
    Careful now...

I got a yellow card from a mod in this thread for suggesting this thread just picks one scape goat after the next.

Apparently, according to the mod, by pointing this out I wasn't an arsenal fan.

Think you have to pick a scape goat to be an arsenal fan now.

Fair play to the mod.

This forum is about opinions, even ones I don’t agree with.
    To think that posters are just picking one player after another to pick on is very foolish and probably deserving of a yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What are you on about? Nobody here is throwing Guendouzi under the bus! Take a deep breath. They're just opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

For years we’ve always had absolute ballers at centre mid; Fabregas, Song, Ramsey, Arteta, Cazorla (Wilshere when he was fit likewise Diaby)
    I know I give Xhaka a bit of stick but he’s simply not on the level of any of those players, neither is Guendouzi although he might go on to prove me wrong.

We need to make a big signing at centre mid, somebody who can give us that edge our midfield is missing. We’re slowly but surely putting the pieces together though I’m excited to see where Arteta has us in a years time.

Fair play to the mod.

This forum is about opinions, even ones I don’t agree with.
    To think that posters are just picking one player after another to pick on is very foolish and probably deserving of a yellow card.

Wenger first, then mustafi, ozil, emery, xhaka and now matteo by the looks of it...

Not that silly really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wenger first, then mustafi, ozil, emery, xhaka and now matteo by the looks of it...

Not that silly really
    Wenger was sacked. Then so was Emery. Ozil has been flogged everywhere before we reluctantly kept him since we couldn't sell him. Mustafi was offered to anyone willing to take him for the last year or so. Xhaka was dropped, stripped of his captaincy and again offered up for sale. Arteta offering an olive branch has given him a reprieve.

Your list is who you think the thread incorrectly makes scapegoats out of, but if that's true then the board and owners must be reading Boards because they seem to agree.

Or.. and this is just me throwing out the idea... maybe... just maybe... it's you that's wrong.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Wenger was sacked. Then so was Emery. Ozil has been flogged everywhere before we reluctantly kept him since we couldn't sell him. Mustafi was offered to anyone willing to take him for the last year or so. Xhaka was dropped, stripped of his captaincy and again offered up for sale. Arteta offering an olive branch has given him a reprieve.

Your list is who you think the thread incorrectly makes scapegoats out of, but if that's true then the board and owners must be reading Boards because they seem to agree.

Or.. and this is just me throwing out the idea... maybe... just maybe... it's you that's wrong.

Fair points but were the board right to sack wenger for emery?

Have we a better playmaker at the club than ozil?

Is mustafi any worse than Luiz or sokratis have been?

Xhaka was dropped and stripped of his captaincy because of the abuse he was getting, do we forget these are people at work. Would you take that abuse in your place of work? How would you react if you weren't backed by management at all in work while this was going on and then given a demotion after you finally cracked? He has also proved under arteta that there's a decent player there, personally it was nice to see a player with actual passion in an arsenal team for once.

What I do find funny though is this thread has pages and pages of people arguing for days now and you step in and decide to try cut me down one message after I mentioned a mod.

Maybe mods should have stepped in a while ago and stopped the arguments.

But hey, I'm wrong so that's grand.

Not that silly really

Extremely silly.

Fair points but were the board right to sack wenger for emery?

Have we a better playmaker at the club than ozil?

Is mustafi any worse than Luiz or sokratis have been?

Xhaka was dropped and stripped of his captaincy because of the abuse he was getting, do we forget these are people at work. Would you take that abuse in your place of work? How would you react if you weren't backed by management at all in work while this was going on and then given a demotion after you finally cracked? He has also proved under arteta that there's a decent player there, personally it was nice to see a player with actual passion in an arsenal team for once.

What I do find funny though is this thread has pages and pages of people arguing for days now and you step in and decide to try cut me down one message after I mentioned a mod.

Maybe mods should have stepped in a while ago and stopped the arguments.

But hey, I'm wrong so that's grand.

Have you used message boards before?

What do you expect here, to state your opinion and for everyone to agree with you? It’s called a discussion, it’s not being about right or wrong. They’re opinions as I’ve said three times already but you’re still here being all hell bent on this. Jesus Christ enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Nice to see Smith Rowe doing well at the weekend against Fulham, some lovely touches a goal and an assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Guendouzi is a 20 year old signed from a Ligue 2 team for 7 mil and here 18 months. I think hes done brilliantly all things considered.

Extremely silly.

You've spent about two days arguing with other users, I'm gonna bite to you anymore, go fishing with someone else.

Have you used message boards before?

What do you expect here, to state your opinion and for everyone to agree with you? It’s called a discussion, it’s not being about right or wrong. They’re opinions as I’ve said three times already but you’re still here being all hell bent on this. Jesus Christ enough.

I've posted around three messages on this topic since the argument started about 2 days ago and I'm hell bent? Alright.

I'm not saying everyone needs to agree either, I agreed they were fair points by the mod but then asked some of my own and rather that you address them you'd rather make out that I'm he'll bent on my points.

You say you want opinions and discussion so let's here your opinions on the questions I've asked.

Were the board right to sake wenger and bring in emery?

Do we have a better play maker than ozil at the club?

Are Luiz, sokratis, Chambers etc. Any better than mustafi?

Should xhaka still be at the club?

And doyou honestly think we'd be a better club if the players above left and matteo went out on loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Jeepers I go off boards for two days, you had one job lads, one job :)

I see Ornstein is saying that Tierney is now not due back until mid to late March.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Can we do a chargeback on him ?

I like what little I've seen of him since he arrived but alarm bells ringing.....

I like what little I've seen of him since he arrived but alarm bells ringing.....

Here’s his injury record.

Games missed
    19/20 Shoulder Injury Dec 9, 2019 Mar 14, 2020 96 days 20Arsenal FC
    19/20 Hip Injury Jun 17, 2019 Sep 18, 2019 93 days 13Celtic FCArsenal FC
    18/19 Groin Surgery May 7, 2019 Jun 9, 2019 33 days 3Celtic FC
    18/19 Hip Injury Apr 19, 2019 May 2, 2019 13 days 2Celtic FC
    18/19 Cals Sclerosis Mar 31, 2019 Apr 5, 2019 5 days 2Celtic FC
    18/19 Hip Injury Dec 7, 2018 Feb 22, 2019 77 days 17Celtic FC
    18/19 Knock Nov 15, 2018 Nov 22, 2018 7 days -
    17/18 Calf Injury Mar 16, 2018 Apr 7, 2018 22 days 3Celtic FC
    16/17 Ruptured ankle aigament Oct 28, 2016 Jan 21, 2017 85 days 15Celtic FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Think he was overplayed with Celtic when he was younger and it's caught up with him a little bit, Can't legislate for dislocated shoulder this can happen anywhere and is an awkward recovery i'd imagine aswell with one of your arms goosed

Think there is an amazing player though so hopefully he brush it off ,and when he comes back he's only a few months before summer and a full pre season

Think he was overplayed with Celtic when he was younger and it's caught up with him a little bit, Can't legislate for dislocated shoulder this can happen anywhere and is an awkward recovery i'd imagine aswell with one of your arms goosed

Think there is an amazing player though so hopefully he brush it off ,and when he comes back he's only a few months before summer and a full pre season

Exactly, Tierney has made over 180 senior appearances at 22 years of age, including over 40 in Europe.

Despite some posters reservations and almost hope that he will be a failure,Tierney will become an Arsenal legend have very little doubt about that, the only other comparable defender at Celtic in the last 30 years was VVD.

where did you get this from ?
    nobody in their right mind would be hoping any player at arsenal will be a failure

I agree, no one in their right mind!

where did you get this from ?
    nobody in their right mind would be hoping any player at arsenal will be a failure

He must be reading the Spurs thread :pac:

I thought Tierney already had shoulder issues before the dislocation, but maybe he didn't.

I thought he looked great when he first started playing, but he seemed to lose a bit of confidence and regress a bit.

His injury record is concerning alright but I really like him, had such high hopes when we signed him and still think he can be a top player for us with a little luck on the injury front

183 days and 32 missed games for Celtic due to a hip injury doesn't bode well for the chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

im hoping he isnt held together with band aids like a few lads we have had in the past, only time will tell

Tierney on one side of the treatment room, Bellerin on the other :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Basil3 wrote: »
    I thought Tierney already had shoulder issues before the dislocation, but maybe he didn't.

I thought he looked great when he first started playing, but he seemed to lose a bit of confidence and regress a bit.

Anyone would under fu*king Emery. I think he'll be great for us for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Been watching St Etienne against Marseille tonight, Payet with the only goal so far, a freakish brilliant and cheeky goal, but my reason for watching is William Saliba. The lad is a beast, strong, quick, agile, good in the air. I think on the small sample of what I've seen tonight we're getting a genuinely talented young centre half. He's so comfortable on the ball too. Incidentally, Matt Debuchy is playing for St Etienne also, he's had a great game so far too. He was going so well for us up until that thug pushed him into the advertising hoardings!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

emmetlego wrote: »
    Been watching St Etienne against Marseille tonight, Payet with the only goal so far, a freakish brilliant and cheeky goal, but my reason for watching is William Saliba. The lad is a beast, strong, quick, agile, good in the air. I think on the small sample of what I've seen tonight we're getting a genuinely talented young centre half. He's so comfortable on the ball too. Incidentally, Matt Debuchy is playing for St Etienne also, he's had a great game so far too. He was going so well for us up until that thug pushed him into the advertising hoardings!!

With Debuchy and Giroud we were the most handsome team in the league. We don't even have that anymore! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

We now have the most handsome manager hahaha

Handsome Men FC.

L'prof wrote: »
    Tierney on one side of the treatment room, Bellerin on the other :(

The only thing is, we have Mari coming in and he's taking full part in the warm weather training in Dubai. Apparently just lack of matches keeping him out but if he can fill the left back until summer, Tierney should be fixed up fully for next season. I don't see the need to bring Tierney in until he's fully ready.

I think Mari will surprise a few people, he's being described as a Keown like figure, very quiet off the pitch but fired up on it and at 6'4", solid left foot and strong in the air, could work well.

The only thing is, we have Mari coming in and he's taking full part in the warm weather training in Dubai. Apparently just lack of matches keeping him out but if he can fill the left back until summer, Tierney should be fixed up fully for next season. I don't see the need to bring Tierney in until he's fully ready.

I think Mari will surprise a few people, he's being described as a Keown like figure, very quiet off the pitch but fired up on it and at 6'4", solid left foot and strong in the air, could work well.

I thought he was LCB rather than LB/LWB?

Quazzie wrote: »
    I thought he was LCB rather than LB/LWB?

Yep, you're quite right, but I gather he's very capable of covering LB and has done so for Flamengo on a few occasions. Good turn of pace on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yep, you're quite right, but I gather he's very capable of covering LB and has done so for Flamengo on a few occasions. Good turn of pace on him.

Where did you see that?

I'm not saying it's worng as I've only seen YouTube clips but he looks to have no pace whatsoever

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Where did you see that?

I'm not saying it's worng as I've only seen YouTube clips but he looks to have no pace whatsoever

It was a comment from someone (reliable) who's seen him in training, I'm not saying he will do a Martinelli, but apparently can turn it on if he needs it. I'm suggesting short burst rather than Linford Christie :)

He looks very slow beer. Thought he looked like a big Mert type that uses their ability to read the game to make up for the lack of pace. That’s based purely in highlights reels now so hopefully im proven wrong.

He looks very slow beer. Thought he looked like a big Mert type that uses their ability to read the game to make up for the lack of pace. That’s based purely in highlights reels now so hopefully im proven wrong.

I'm assured otherwise, but let's see him on the pitch, hopefully sooner than later....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

5star02707 wrote: »

Serge Gnabry

FFS..
    LOL!!!! THAT IS ALL THAT NEEDED TO BE SAID!!!

Is Jack Wilshire and Ramsey not missing from that list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Is Jack Wilshire and Ramsey not missing from that list?

Didn't we sign Ramsey from Cardiff at 17? Wilshere yeah should be there.

Still crocked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Didn't we sign Ramsey from Cardiff at 17? Wilshere yeah should be there.

Still crocked.

Every once in a while I forget where Wilshere is, mainly because I never hear about him anymore, then I get a kind of cold sweat: Christ, I can't believe that we've still got Wilshere and he's out injured again..... no wonder we're doing so bad if we've still carrying stretchers around the training field.

It took me a while to remember the last time that happened, embarrassingly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

People wanted him to stay at one point

I realise we are a professional sporting organisation, priority1 is to be winners and do so professionally and within budget.

But to lose the Arsenal identity, which is one of pride and proper conduct is something I would hate. That lad busted himself so many times over for our jersey and loved our club. I never understood that anti-Wilshere brigade. When he did play for us, we were usually a lot better for it.

Or maybe I just was a fond holder of project youth.

emmetlego wrote: »
    I realise we are a professional sporting organisation, priority1 is to be winners and do so professionally and within budget.

But to lose the Arsenal identity, which is one of pride and proper conduct is something I would hate. That lad busted himself so many times over for our jersey and loved our club. I never understood that anti-Wilshere brigade. When he did play for us, we were usually a lot better for it.

Or maybe I just was a fond holder of project youth.

I loved the fella. He’s arsenal through and through but when we sold him it was definitely time, he was made of biscuits and was never gonna be a 30 game a season man.

I loved the fella. He’s arsenal through and through but when we sold him it was definitely time, he was made of biscuits and was never gonna be a 30 game a season man.

I think the club learned a lot from the Diaby saga. They kept him on the books through many injuries and maybe they felt Wilshere was a repeat, which was the way it was turning out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement