Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Tough but big win. Could see the effect of the 3 game week especially with Everton playing their first game in a couple weeks. Bellerin and Saka (lovely cross tbf) both very poor I thought. Mustafi, Leno (second half), Ceballos and obviously Auba all very good.

Can hopefully rest a few against Pompey, we need to win that game but I think Saka and even Xhaka looked like they badly need a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Can't say I enjoyed that one bit! A win is a win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Soups123 wrote: »
    We watched for years as Arsene never focused on closing out a game. Arteta has shown he’s prepared to do it. I’d prefer a coach that protects the 3pts at all cost final 10

You sure about that cause I remember Grimandi coming on in last 20 very regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Jesus, Mikel talks a great game. In loving him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

20 mins either side of the break I did but that was about it :). Players looked seriously tired in the 2nd half. But as you say a win is a win and still unbeaten this year ;)

Made it difficult for ourselves and gave them chances to equalise. They had the better chances up until the woodwork was shook.

Anyway, onwards to try to salvage something this season. It all looks very shaky but a proper winning run may shore things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Made it difficult for ourselves and gave them chances to equalise. They had the better chances up until the woodwork was shook.

Anyway, onwards to try to salvage something this season. It all looks very shaky but a proper winning run may shore things up.

I can't believe it, but because everyone else is a bit crap too, CL qualification is still a very real possibility.

7 goals in the last 2 league games. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Wasn't it amazing the difference Saka made when he came on? But you can see that they were all tired. That's 3 games in a week and a trip to Greece in the middle of it. That's a lot of pressure to heap on young shoulders like Saka. He has been a revelation.

Also, that 1st Auba goal reminded me so much of Thierry, I was gushing after it!!!

Didn't think VAR had it's finest day AGAIN. Their 1st goal was a dangerous high foot, it hit Luiz in the head! That should have been ruled out. I believe even Souness said it after, so that speaks for itself!!

All in all, a tired 2nd half, but some moments of great football again. The revival continues. Still unbeaten in 2020

I like the way we dug in though and kept going to the end though. Workrate continously improving. I like what Arteta is doing with this club.

For those someway familiar with the hurling, Arteta to me is a straight talking man with a plan....alot like a certain Mr Liam Sheedy :)

• Advertisement

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Jesus, Mikel talks a great game. In loving him.

In the summer of 2018, i like many others was skeptical about hiring such an inexperienced manager to take the reigns and wanted us to go for experience such as Emery....now im wondering what the hell took us so long.

Im loving the reign of Mikel so far.

Is Leno our player of the year folks??? I think he'll go hard on that competition. Most improved player at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is Leno our player of the year folks??? I think he'll go hard on that competition. Most improved player at the club.

Auba for me, probably Leno second but he does have a bad decision in him.

I still can't believe what Kolasinac did for the first goal. Can't fathom how anyone let alone such an experienced defender would follow their man in like that before the free kick was taken when we were clearly trying to hold a high line. You can only coach lads so much, absolutely bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

A very nervy game but great win to keep the momentum going. Very much a game of two halves for some players but overall the team did great to hang on near the end. Leno was fantastic again.

Even though it doesn't seem to be stopping him coring, would like Auba back in the middle with Martinelli on the left for the next league game. Auba is putting in an enormous effort defensively when he's on the wing and the strain of that isn't ideal to be put on our basically only scorer.

The players are showing great resilience and belief even when things aren't going their way which is great to see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He’s not great in the defending role.
    Had a poor second half yesterday.
    Might be better in a more forward role.
    He and a fit Tierney overlapping would torment defences with both able to put telling crosses into the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

He and a fit Tierney overlapping would torment defences with both able to put telling crosses into the box.

For Saka that's a roger. He is an incredibly talented young winger who has been doing a fabulous job filling in as a fullback but defending doesn't come natural to him, you can see that. Future wise I could see Tierney on the left of a back three with Saka and Bellerin wing backs, as he does with Scotland to accommodate him and Robertson.

I think Leno has been great but surely Auba for POTS? Scored 17 league goals so far in a side that been consistently terrible in general but especially at creating chances till Arteta came in and even then we've had ups and downs. Been used on the wing more often than not but still works his bollocks off and gets the goals.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Is that the same Leno I’m thinking of ?? The fella in goal
    Maybe I’m losing my marbles

I didn’t mention Leno. I was talking about Saka.
    You’re mixing that post up with some other post.

Edit.
    I see what happened now ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

Has to be aubemyang for me but Leno a close second.

Saka most exciting to watch though, really hope he keeps improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Olympiacos on Thursday night and no league game at the weekend. Portsmouth away on Monday night in the cup. COYG

• Advertisement

To be fair to him he's only covering in that left back slot and doing quite well. He's young, he'll make lapses of judgement but i like the kid. He is tigerish and a nightmare to contain.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Ancelottis reaction to Aubas winner.

He loves the Sabbath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

What do ye think? Keep Auba and lacca or move one of them on for decent money. Surely keeping the both of them won't benefit us when u will want Auba through the middle with saka and martinelli on the left??

I would say we gotta move one of them on

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    What do ye think? Keep Auba and lacca or move one of them on for decent money. Surely keeping the both of them won't benefit us when u will want Auba through the middle with saka and martinelli on the left??

I would say we gotta move one of them on

But if we move one of them on for decent money we would then want to replace them with someone younger and potentially more expensive or riskier. I’d say hang onto them and get the most out of them and spend big in midfield and defense.

We'll obviously want Auba to stay because he is virtually irreplaceable for us in our current state. We'll have to give him a hefty contract which would likely mean in a few seasons time having him overpaid when he is past it but if it means helping us get back into regular Champions League qualification thus making it easier to one day replace him it will be worth it.

Laca is an interesting one. He will have 2 seasons left on his contract heading into the summer and according to 'Don' Raul this means we will either have to tie him to a new contract or sell him. He has been absolutely terrible this season imo and even at his best for us he is a Europa level striker. If I want to get back into the Champions League every season and eventually challenge for titles I am not going to hand a 28 year old Europa League level striker a close to 200k p/w new long term contract.

I think we need major investment into the centre of midfield this summer and if we can raise some funds via a sale which, imo, wouldn't weaken us THAT much it is worth it.

But if we move one of them on for decent money we would then want to replace them with someone younger and potentially more expensive or riskier. I’d say hang onto them and get the most out of them and spend big in midfield and defense.

Moving one on still means u have Eddie and martinelli as back ups or even Pepe through the middle. So I would also cash in on lacca if there was on offer. Athletico always flirting with him. A good big and I would do for the greater good

I’d hang on to both Auba and Laca and hope the young lads would learn from them and then be good enough to replace them in the team in the future. I would never sell my best assets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Mad how some people in here think the way to improve is to sell our better players. :confused:

Quazzie wrote: »
    Mad how some people in here think the way to improve is to sell our better players. :confused:

Need money to buy players. Look at Liverpool selling couthino. If they didn't do that they wouldn't be the team they are today. Gotta have a great team not just great players on one position.

So yes I believe in selling talent.. especially talent we won't miss too much aka lacca

Quazzie wrote: »

Lacazette has scored 33 league goals in 86 appearances. He cost us 46m and earns 180k p/w with 2 seasons left to run. He will be 29 by the start of next season. We cannot allow him to have 1 year left.

Is it a good idea to give this guy a new contract. Presumably he will want close to 200k p/w and a 4 year contract. Does anyone genuinely think this would be a good idea?

• Advertisement

I think it's risky to disregard Laca like this. There were times during where he was carrying the team just as Auba is doing now. Look at his goalscoring and assist stats he averages just under a goal every second game. When on form. he is a great secondary striker as has a fantastic touch, dribbling and short passing. It's a shame really that we hardly ever play him and Auba up front.

Just because he is playing badly at the moment, shouldn't mean he should be sold. I don't rate Nketiah at all and unless a great bid comes in for Laca, there's no harm having him around for another season.

2 goals in 2 minutes for Gnabry against Chelsea. Oh, what could have been.

2 for Gnabry against Chelsea in the CL.
    He’s lethal.

2 for Gnabry against Chelsea in the CL.
    He’s lethal.

4m we sold him for.....4 fcukin million :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

https://twitter.com/beinsports_en/status/1232393578812452865?s=21

Interesting words about Gnabry and his subsequent move to Bayern Munich via Werder Bremen from Wenger. Worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

4m we sold him for.....4 fcukin million :mad:
    Very frustrating, but what could the club have done different. He had his mind set that he wasn't signing a contract with Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

All the comments here, remind me why Ivan Gazidas was so utterly incompetent! And of course, Tony Pulis saying that Gnabry didn’t have what was required!!!

We need to put these years behind us and look forward with Nketiah, Saka and Willock etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

Am I the only one not totally sold on willock or Eddie?

Eddie in fairness needs more time and has only been back with us a while so be interesting to see him develop.

Wilock has been OK in some cup games but not great in the prem.

When compared with how well Saka and martinelli have done the other two just don't excite me

ImANoob08 wrote: »

Eddie in fairness needs more time and has only been back with us a while so be interesting to see him develop.

When compared with how well Saka and martinelli have done the other two just don't excite me

Agreed, I think both Willock and Nketiah need another season out on loan. Hopefully a place where they will get a lot of playing time.

I do think we should begin a search for established reinforcement in the CAM role. Ideally someone that can shoot as our CAM usually gets a lot of chances but you really see it with Ozil, who if he had a better shot would be hitting double figure goals per season consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

ImANoob08 wrote: »

Don't see it in Wilcock at all to be honest, would need to seriously bulk up but at what cost does that come.

Surprised by the lack of faith in Willock tbh. I like him quite a bit. Has the speed, dribbling, technique and movement to survive at the very top. He lacks in decision making and technical security but he is only 20 so there's every possibility he will develop these deficiencies. He might not develop of course but the same could be said for every youth product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

correction wrote: »
    Surprised by the lack of faith in Willock tbh. I like him quite a bit. Has the speed, dribbling, technique and movement to survive at the very top. He lacks in decision making and technical security but he is only 20 so there's every possibility he will develop these deficiencies. He might not develop of course but the same could be said for every youth product.

Ah I agree to be fair and it's far too early, just on first impressions of the four named I would have him as the 'least likely'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

https://twitter.com/zrafc/status/1232714715085901825?s=21

According to Flamengo themselves, Arsenal are going to exercise the option to buy Pablo Marí. So they obviously must have been impressed in the training sessions he’s had so far at London Colney.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Don't see it in Wilcock at all to be honest, would need to seriously bulk up but at what cost does that come.

I dunno. I think he looks a decent natural athlete, much more so than Eddie anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Lads the four of them are excellent talents, there's no need to pit them against each other.

The main question I'd have is why such a big club don't produce their like more regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I'd sell Laca in a heartbeat. Haven't had faith in him from early on. I'm just not seeing what some others do. We could get in a much needed midfielder from the sale of Laca who I think Arteta doesn't fancy at all after giving him time, Nketiah ahead of him twice now kind of suggests that.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Lads the four of them are excellent talents, there's no need to pit them against each other.

The main question I'd have is why such a big club don't produce their like more regularly.

Bit early to say that.
    By the end of the next season we will know how good they are.
    Personally I saw good and bad in all of them so far but I’ll give them more time.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Being reported in the papers that laca has an agreement with the club that allows him to leave if arsenal don’t qualify for champions league

Lacazette came out and denied that in the press conference earlier. He say why would he leave if everyone at the club is happy with him, paraphrasing that now. Ultimately means little these days what players say, but he does deny the agreement reported anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement