Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I hate Thursday night football - it screws up weekend football. I miss Arsenal playing every (or most anyway) Saturdays. Not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

wonga77 wrote: »
    I assume nobody here wants 5th anyway. If so we'll end up with Thursday night football again

5th could mean CL football this season

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I assume nobody here wants 5th anyway. If so we'll end up with Thursday night football again

I know what you mean but I’d prefer 5th to 6th or 7th!

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I dread to think how we would fair in the champions league when we struggle with West Ham, the squad needs a lot more work before we can tackle that monster again and while I would enjoy us to be playing the likes of Bayern psg and barca we would just get battered.
    Europa league is horrible it messes up the team for the weekend and increases the risk of injuries and teams are only competing in it to get in the champions league really, if we concentrate on the league next season with a view to pushing up the table and also improve the squad on the way maybe the season after we can have a chance against the elite of Europe again.

Get higher than spurs and keep our important players will make me happy This season

I do miss the CL music though!

How is our missing the last few years going to affect our rankings? Will we still be in pot 2 when we get back in?

And I agree, above Spurs must be the baby step we need for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Thursday night football is a way into the champions League. Will always take it for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

We need CL for money reasons. Listen to the arsecast from Friday if you need to be assured about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The money will go into a big pot never to be seen again

I think the pot is marked Kroenke holiday pocket money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Would rather finish 17th than watch another year of that Europa rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Could be just me , but who gives a fiddlers if we finish above Spurs , that should be the standard not something to shout about , we're not a small club because we missed out on the champions league a few years in a row , they had there best manager and squad in years and they fumbled it , can see that scale swinging back again because alot of there best players are coming to the end of there cycle and Mourinho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Well I’m guessing that we all want to win the FA cup? That will get us a Europa League place as well.

I really want to get back into the champions league for sporting reasons as much as anything else. The longer out of that competition the more damage it is causing us.

Chances are we will have some european football next season. Can’t see us missing out altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Realistically coming 7th would even put us in the EL, so it would be pretty difficult to avoid. We absolutely need CL to improve the squad

Well I’m guessing that we all want to win the FA cup? That will get us a Europa League place as well.

I really want to get back into the champions league for sporting reasons as much as anything else. The longer out of that competition the more damage it is causing us.

Chances are we will have some european football next season. Can’t see us missing out altogether.

We own the FA cup at this stage, I was at the 78,79 and 80 finals

I see great things ahead and certainly haven't given up on FA cup and 4th place

Could be just me , but who gives a fiddlers if we finish above Spurs

Ah now....

Well, I do because of my mates that support Spurs.

Beating your neighbours is a nice little side quest in a season of games

I know what you mean but I’d prefer 5th to 6th or 7th!

If there is a chance we could end up in that Europa league next year then no. the only way 5th will be acceptable is if Citys ban is upheld and 5th is awarded a CL place

If there is a chance we could end up in that Europa league next year then no. the only way 5th will be acceptable is if Citys ban is upheld and 5th is awarded a CL place

So you'd prefer us to not win the FA cup?

So you'd prefer us to not win the FA cup?

It might not be the worst thing if we didnt. Maybe a season where we are looking from Saturday to Saturday could benefit us. Just a theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

What are the chances of tierney being involved against city midweek?

Bowlardo wrote: »
    What are the chances of tierney being involved against city midweek?

Hard to predict. Saka is doing well but would benefit from a rest. Might be a tough one to rush Tierney back into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

If the results & form over the past 5 games continues for the rest of the season, we would be home and hosed for a CL spot.

1/4 final of FA cup to come.

From being a crap season with nothing to be excited about, suddenly every game is very important.

I dunno bout you all, but I'm more excited than I have been for ages.

Yes, the black hole of our finances is a concern, even if we get CL, but even from the point of view of denying one of our rivals that cash it's extremely important for us to fight for literally every ball in every remaining game.

Come on Arsenal!

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    If the results & form over the past 5 games coninues for the rest of the season, we would be home and hosed for a CL spot.

From being a crap season with nothing to be excited about, suddenly every game is very important.

I dunno bout you all, but I'm more excited than I have been for ages.

Yes, the black hole of our finances is a concern
    , even if we get CL, but even from the point of view of denying one of our rivals that cash it's extremely important for us to fight for literally every ball in every remaining game.

Come on Arsenal!

A black hole the size of a new Rams stadium in LA

• Advertisement

A black hole the size of a new Rams stadium in LA

Yeah, it makes me fùckin sick. But better the cash goes over there than on, say, players for Spurs.

Worked wonder for Chelsea not too long ago

Liverpool were unlucky not to win a league in 14 and i think the absence of European football helped them. Similar to Leicester in 16. Obviously the Champions league is where you want to be, but with a squad as thin as ours I think the Europa league is a competition we could probably do without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

agreed and i sense a poll coming
    are we good enough to compete in the champions league at the moment ?
    do we really want another year of europa ?
    will we pass spurs and finish above then ?

Champions League is where it's at of course. The good thing about the Europa is the number of young players given regular playing time.

Martinelli, Saka, Nelson and Willock mong others have really been able to prove their worth because of it. Opportunities they wouldn't have had if we hadn't qualified for it.

greendom wrote: »
    Champions League is where it's at of course. The good thing about the Europa is the number of young players given regular playing time.

Martinelli, Saka, Nelson and Willock mong others have really been able to prove their worth because of it. Opportunities they wouldn't have had if we hadn't qualified for it.

Probably the best way to use it. Blood the youngsters and getting lads back to fitness. Wouldnt agree with playing Laca, Auba, etc in any other circumstances in that competition except for bringing them back from injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

are we good enough to compete in the champions league at the moment?

Right now I don’t believe we are. Getting out of a group would be a struggle and for me that’s the bare minimum when it comes to CL. I’m not in a massive rush to get back to the CL with the state the team is in at present but who’s to say a good transfer window or two wouldn’t do wonders for them
    do we really want another year of europa?

No. I have very little interest in being in an inferior competition to the CL when I don’t think they’ll win it. That said, if that’s our level then it’s our level. Better to be playing the games than to qualify for the CL and see our league form suffer because we’re not used to the amount of games anymore
    will we pass spurs and finish above then ?

I think we will but only because of injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We’re about 5 good players short of a Champions League team.
    Yesterday’s football was very poor.
    Some of the team selections are puzzling too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    If the results & form over the past 5 games continues for the rest of the season, we would be home and hosed for a CL spot.

Do you honestly believe we can get top 4? Don't do it to yourself

We’re about 5 good players short of a Champions League team.
    Yesterday’s football was very poor.
    Some of the team selections are puzzling too.

All logic would dictate that if we could get into the champions league somehow, we could possibly get in those five players......and then i remember Stanley f**king Kroenke is the owner :(

Bad set of results for us today with both Chelsea and Man Utd winning. Tough game now on Wednesday as the game in hand.
    Man City have now lost more games than Arsenal in the league this season. Really is a strange season so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Do people not realise that CL qualification means we have a much better chance of attracting the new players that will improve us, and it's also the best way to hold onto the talent we have.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Do people not realise that CL qualification means we have a much better chance of attracting the new players that will improve us, and it's also the best way to hold onto the talent we have.

Yeah I think it’s vitally important for the following season.
    I can see two drastically different summers and transfer windows upcoming depending on whether we are in the champions league or not. Being out of it will be a disaster.

Bad set of results for us today with both Chelsea and Man Utd winning. Tough game now on Wednesday as the game in hand.
    Man City have now lost more games than Arsenal in the league this season. Really is a strange season so far.

Only The Pool have lost fewer games than us.

Weird season, alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

Finishing above spurs isn't a trophy we shouldn't even be looking at that. It's sad that so many are seeing that as a goal for the season.

We need to concentrate on ourselves and keep improving our performances.

The europa league is a great way to get into the champions league for the following year and we should have done alot better in the competition this year.

Its a sad state of affairs when finishing 4th is seen as more of an achievement than a europa league or fá Cup win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

ImANoob08 wrote: »
    Finishing above spurs isn't a trophy we shouldn't even be looking at that. It's sad that so many are seeing that as a goal for the season.

We need to concentrate on ourselves and keep improving our performances.

The europa league is a great way to get into the champions league for the following year and we should have done alot better in the competition this year.

Its a sad state of affairs when finishing 4th is seen as more of an achievement than a europa league or fá Cup win.

It's football dude. Cheer up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That’s how it works BUT you also need quality players to get you into it.
    We just don’t have enough of them as yet.
    I don’t believe we’ll make it this season.
    As long as they keep buying the tickets then Kronke will be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

I think it's sad that theres absolutely no interest in the Europa League. Some good clubs have won it and I'd love to have one in the cabinet. The old UEFA Cup was a cracking competition and the year we got to the final and lost out to Galatasary was one of the most enjoyable moments I had supporting Arsenal

It's called bragging rights. And it's important to those of us emotionally invested in the North London rivalry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Exactly this. I can't believe how many people were glad to see us knocked out of the Europa. For me it was our best chance of getting back into the CL. I dont think there's any chance we're getting top 4 so my hopes for the year went with the loss to olympiakos
    Fa cup would be nice but I can't see that happening either. Hope I'm wrong though

emmetlego wrote: »
    It's called bragging rights. And it's important to those of us emotionally invested in the North London rivalry

I understand what it's called but you can't put bragging rights into a trophy cabinet.

Out of interest what's your emotional connection to the North London rivalry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I wouldn't worry about bragging rights, Sp*rs haven't won the league in 60 years.

• Advertisement

Out of interest what's your emotional connection to the North London rivalry?

That's none of your business, really!

sonic85 wrote: »
    I think it's sad that theres absolutely no interest in the Europa League. Some good clubs have won it and I'd love to have one in the cabinet. The old UEFA Cup was a cracking competition and the year we got to the final and lost out to Galatasary was one of the most enjoyable moments I had supporting Arsenal

UEFA and FIFA were hell bent on creating an elitist system to benefit the big European clubs and national football powerhouses, which in turn, created a financial gap. Shame really.
    I actually think at the very max, only three teams should be allowed into the Champions league, if even. When it went to four, it diluted the quality of the UEFA cup and binning the CWC was a very strange decision.

I remember that 99/00 well and Kanu selling the Deportivo goalkeeper a dummy at Highbury. It lives long in the memory. Whether it was Kanu brilliance, the goalkeeper diving too quick or a bit of both, who knows... but it was an interesting season even if United beat us comfortably to the Premier league

Being reported that Torreira is out for 8 to 10 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭DenMan

Being reported that Torreira is out for 8 to 10 weeks

If that's the case he's finished for the season and back just in time for Uruguay for the Copa America. Get well soon Lucas.

https://talksport.com/football/679964/arsenal-injury-news-lucas-torreira-fractured-ankle/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Looking ahead to Wednesday, this has to be our best chance in years to get something away to City.

They are reeling, with the league conceded to Liverpool. Raheem Sterling hasn't scored since before Christmas and there's a good chance De Bruyne will be out.

They will have one eye on their Champions League and FA Cup games the following week which will now surely be their main focus this season.

We have the man who knows them best in our dugout. Our general play has been up and down but we are conceding less and have players who can score against anyone on their day. Also yesterday's results for United and Chelsea mean we need something from this game if we want to have a chance of being in the mix for European places this season.

Time for a bit of positivity. 2-1 Arsenal, COYG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I just don't think our midfield is anywhere near up to scratch. Ceballos and Xhaka won't be at the races at all compared to their guys.

That's none of your business, really!

OK, guess we'll leave it there so ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

DenMan wrote: »

It is interesting to see Ceballos now after Arteta apparently questioned his attitude. I thought he was class on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You'd like to think City mightn't be too bothered about this game. But I remember a lot of games against them in recent years where the gulf in quality between the two sides is pretty pronounced.

And I'd be wary of them after a bad defeat. Before they battered Arsenal 0-3 away from in this season's earlier meeting, they'd lost to United in the league.

Arsenal have a chance because they're more resilient and organised than last time and City may have stopped caring about the league, but their players are better all over the pitch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement