Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

As much and all as we all love football, I want to wish you all the very best over the next few months from me, my husband and children. It's going to be very tough on so many levels, for so many of us. When it's all over, hopefully we can rally around each other and support Arsenal again in a healthier atmosphere.

Take care each and every one of you Gooners. Peace and good health to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

emmetlego wrote: »
    As much and all as we all love football, I want to wish you all the very best over the next few months from me, my husband and children. It's going to be very tough on so many levels, for so many of us. When it's all over, hopefully we can rally around each other and support Arsenal again in a healthier atmosphere.

Take care each and every one of you Gooners. Peace and good health to you all.

Same to you.

Jesus, these are weird times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, lots of love for everyone on here.

I basically spent the week freaking out. The emotional pitch of every conversation I had with everyone was extremely high.

Today was maybe the first day where I tried to get a grip.

Things are fcked, but I guess we're all together in that. I look forward to the day when we can all enjoy the amazing frivolous joy of football again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Juve are considering selling Ramsey, he’s scored 3 league goals with 1 assist and 1 champions league goal, it’s been a terrible season for him there so maybe it wasn’t so bad he left after all

The tide was starting to turn for him pre covid. Sarri actually starting to play him in his proper position. He was fantastic against Inter in the final game pre lockout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arsenal are trying to offload Mkhitaryan permanently to Roma. Their keen to take him but who knows what will happen now with the virus. Don't think Sanchez has delivered at Inter either so Utd might want to offload him too.

• Advertisement

I see Arsenal just posted this on YouTube.

Don't know if watching it makes me happy or sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Any news on Arteta`s health situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Watched the full vid of us beating United at OT to win the title last night.

WILTORRRRRRRR

• Advertisement

Juve are considering selling Ramsey, he’s scored 3 league goals with 1 assist and 1 champions league goal, it’s been a terrible season for him there so maybe it wasn’t so bad he left after all

Or maybe he is just simply struggling to acclimatise to a different country and different way of football. Even happened to Ian Rush. Only John Charles and Liam Brady really made it big in Italy (both for Juve)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Potentially one of the saddest casualties of this is Santi Cazorla who now looks like he won't get his goodbye match. Hearing that if it doesn't happen this year it's unlikely to happen at all.

That would be a travesty

Our old player song has been sacked by his Swiss club for refusing to take a pay cut due to corona

Classy

Two of our old players, Song and Djourou. In fairness they could have helped the club out. They don't need the money. Selfish and greedy imo.

https://talksport.com/football/684823/arsenal-alex-song-johan-djourou-swiss-sion-pay-cut-coronavirus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

I mean I know they earn a lot more than I do but I haven't taken a pay cut either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

In fairness to Alex Song he supports his family of 10 brothers and 17 sisters!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/family-everything-arsenal-star-alex-3369538?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Considering international breaks drive me crazy, I honestly don't know how I'm going to survive with no Arsenal indefinitely.

(In a not actually serious or real world sense, of course.)

I mean, I'd bite your hand off for a MOTD tonight if West Ham-Sheff Utd was the only game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Was flicking through sky sports yesterday and they had highlights of the 4-4 north London derby from 2008/9. I'd forgotten just how bad Manuel Almunia was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Was flicking through sky sports yesterday and they had highlights of the 4-4 north London derby from 2008/9. I'd forgotten just how bad Manuel Almunia was.

That game should've ended about 9-1, we absolutely annihilated them from what I can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Seaman & Lehmann so far ahead of all the other pretenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Dropping Lehmann for Almunia was probably the biggest individual error of Wenger's reign for me. And how long did he persist with Almunia for? It's about two or three seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Dropping Lehmann for Almunia was probably the biggest individual error of Wenger's reign for me. And how long did he persist with Almunia for? It's about two or three seasons.

Mad Jens def in my top 3 fav Arsenal players ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Almunia ..........not as bad as some made out ,but never good enough for us especially back then I'll never forgive him for the champions league final a better keeper stops both those goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Almunia ..........not as bad as some made out ,but never good enough for us especially back then I'll never forgive him for the champions league final a better keeper stops both those goals

The one day Thierry decides to leave his shooting boots at home

In fairness. Jens had become a mistake machine when he was dropped and Almunia had a legitimately good first season of starting. After that it was a disaster and it's crazy we didn't sign an improvement.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8141973/Arsenal-boss-Mikel-Arteta-set-rid-FIVE-stars-plots-overhaul-summer.html

With the players likely to be leaving this summer it'll be interesting to see who he brings in. Mari looking likely to make his deal permanent and Saliba to join us in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yeah the persistence was the biggest error. Almunia was a keeper who couldnt get a game in the Segunda division. Yet Wenger somehow thought he was good enough to start for us for nearly 2 seasons. Madness.

DenMan wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8141973/Arsenal-boss-Mikel-Arteta-set-rid-FIVE-stars-plots-overhaul-summer.html

With the players likely to be leaving this summer it'll be interesting to see who he brings in. Mari looking likely to make his deal permanent and Saliba to join us in the summer.

The LOI will look more attractive if the UK doesn't sort out it's sh*t with this virus. Imagine if we turned into fortress Ireland and the Saudi sheiks and Sky Sports just filledd the LOI with all the best players for the tv fans worldwide :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

The LOI will look more attractive if the UK doesn't sort out it's sh*t with this virus. Imagine if we turned into fortress Ireland and the Saudi sheiks and Sky Sports just filledd the LOI with all the best players for the tv fans worldwide :D:D:D

so no place in LoI for Mustafi then??:D

Barcelona have cooled interest in Arsenal's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang as they prioritise a move for Inter Milan's Lautaro Martinez this summer, according to the Daily Mail. (Sky Sports News)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8149409/Barcelona-cool-Arsenals-Pierre-Emerick-Aubameyang-focus-Lautaro-Martinez.html

• Advertisement

Quite a long and in depth interview with Fabregas on the Arsecast podcast today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Hows everyone in here managing? All keeping well I hope. I work in retail so I'm still out and about every day, its good to see that the majority are taking this serious. Theres been a big drop off in the amount of elderly people that pop in for their shopping and a chat.
    Still a few young ones that don't seem to get it. Im annoyed they have shut the golf courses down though
    Apologies for going off topic, just checking in!

Doing good thanks. Just back from Lidl where we did a big shop. It's great the Germans have giant ground stickers for the social distancing throughout the store and at the checkout aisles. Met a chap in his electric wheelchair. He's a fellow gooner too, and has an Arsenal sticker on the back of his chair. :D Stay safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

Only leave the house to walk the dog! Other than that not been out since Wednesday morning when I had to collect stuff from work to let me work from home.

If only everyone was taking it as seriously we'd be laughing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’m in the danger age with an underlying condition.
    I only go out to walk the dog or work in the back garden.
    This will pass in time. The question is, will I be around after it?

My husband is a paramedic and firefighter in Dublin. Every time he goes out the door to work I shiver at what he's going through. He just talks about Arsenal and the future. I'm terrified for him, and I know deep down he's terrified too. I admire him (obviously), his colleagues and all the healthcare people involved in this. He looked shook when Arteta was diagnosed.

PS. If you know him, just give him a wink and a good luck. The clap tonight at 8pm made his eyes well up. That very rarely happens unless Arsenal have a magical moment!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Stay Safe Tayto, look after yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

My husband is a paramedic and firefighter in Dublin. Every time he goes out the door to work I shiver at what he's going through. He just talks about Arsenal and the future. I'm terrified for him, and I know deep down he's terrified too. I admire him (obviously), his colleagues and all the healthcare people involved in this. He looked shook when Arteta was diagnosed.

PS. If you know him, just give him a wink and a good luck. The clap tonight at 8pm made his eyes well up. That very rarely happens unless Arsenal have a magical moment!!!

I have family and friends on the front line. I hope and pray they will all be okay. When this is done and we can go back to normal I hope the people of Ireland will never forget what these guys are doing for us.

I hope there is a new found respect and a taking care of that is never forgotten.

Wishing your husband good health

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Arteta seems to be over the worst of it!

Great to see him back to health. He spoke very well. No nonsense.

Work in retail myself. One of those essential services. Feel extremely apprehensive going in there these days. I try to be as conscious in every way of minding the guidelines, but you feel like you are fighting a losing battle. 60 to 70 percent of people do try their best, but there is that other percentage who are plainly as dumb as rocks and don't get how serious things really are and how bad it could get unless people really wise up. And that's not just members of the public, my co-workers are equally as bad, if not worse. And it's hard to avoid close contact and surfaces. I know that I'm paranoid about it, but I feel like my paranoia is pretty justified. I deeply envy people who can work from home. Lads, in this current climate you have no idea how good you have it.

I know things are comparatively worse for some. Like the paramedics and doctors and nurses. Utmost respect. Truly superhuman courage. It'd be great to think of a future that'll maybe come out of this where those who we all really need when the chips are down get their just credit and reward. I don't think anyone would complain.

And I know there's people who have lost their jobs and don't know what the future holds. It sucks right across the board.

Sometimes I think if we were literally invaded by aliens it'd scarcely feel less weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

All you can do is what you have probably heard a thousand times. Hunker down, wash your hands and avoid contact where possible. You should buy one of those chipping nets for the back garden and work on your short game!
    Stay safe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's a completely different world out there now. I'm not the type to tell people off, but I've had to tell a few people to back off already. In saying that, most people I see are doing it right, or at least trying their best.

As you say though Arghus, it's a very different story in the shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

DenMan wrote: »

There's no doubt that Benzema is the better striker, but there's absolutely no need for that. Saying stuff like that is incredibly ignorant. Let others do that and do your talking on the pitch

Professional footballers really can be self righteous jumped up clowns, can't they. Between Benzema coming out with that stuff and Grealish last night.

greendom wrote: »
    There's no doubt that Benzema is the better striker, but there's absolutely no need for that. Saying stuff like that is incredibly ignorant. Let others do that and do your talking on the pitch

Stay classy Benzema :rolleyes: A swamp rat.

The 'go-carter' has a World cup medal. The 'formula one' car watched it on telly.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/10/france-karim-benzema-real-madrid-sex-tape-blackmail

it parallels somewhat with Cantona once calling the now French manager Deschamps a 'water carrier'. Deschamps has a highly decorated career with Les Bleus as captain and then manager. Cantona while being an unbelievable talent and one of the greatest to ply his trade in the Premier league, was a hot head who could have got more out of his career.

France has always been a funny nation, football wise. All kinds of fiery characters. Wenger to his credit is probably the smartest and most rational but being from a French area bordering Alcase, the German influence must have rubbed off on him....and even Wenger had his moments, especially in the latter ten years.

Thank your husband for his hard work and loads of good health to you, your husband and family

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

greendom wrote: »

Giroud should do an Instagram video where its just him polishing his World Cup medal.

And no, there's no innuendo there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

IMO Benzema always came across as a bit of a dis-likable character, the whole episode around the blackmail of a team mate was never really cleared up fully and was always a stain on his character, this pop at Giroud just seems to reinforce that feeling that the guy has a chip on his shoulder & a sense of entitlement the size of France.My gut feeling is the fact Giroud has a WC winners medal really grates with him (Benzema) and he couldnt bottle it up any longer... eitheer that or his Mrs fancies Giroud :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Thank your husband for his hard work and loads of good health to you, your husband and family

That's so kind. Thank you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement