Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

emmetlego wrote: »
    That's so kind. Thank you.

It’s very true though.
    If this Coronavirus pandemic has taught us anything it’s that the people on the Frontline are who we really rely on at times of trouble. Probably not the highest earners but certainly the most respected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

Liverpool are the latest Premier League club to place some of their non-playing staff on temporary leave. I wonder will we follow suit. The Government in the UK pays for 80% of the wages through a scheme and the club makes up the remaining 20%.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52165826

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

DenMan wrote: »
    Liverpool are the latest Premier League club to place some of their non-playing staff on temporary leave. I wonder will we follow suit. The Government in the UK pays for 80% of the wages through a scheme and the club makes up the remaining 20%.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52165826

Hope not. Clubs are plenty rich enough to take the burden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The government only covers 80% up to a max of 2500 pounds a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If a club did use the government money I would imagine it would be for non playing staff not the players on mega money lol
    Would clubs really take the 80% ? I can’t see the premier league clubs taking it but I could be wrong

Yep, Spurs, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Norwich and Newcastle have furloughed non-playing staff. I’d like to think Arsenal won’t be going down that road, but with Stan Kroenke I really wouldn’t be surprised if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

But doesn’t that mean that the staff stay at home and get paid by the club as normal

Through no fault of their own. If the club can afford it where's the harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Willian on a free could be interesting, apparently he's committed to leaving Chelsea and was talking with Spurs until Edu picked up the phone to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Willian on a free could be interesting, apparently he's committed to leaving Chelsea and was talking with Spurs until Edu picked up the phone to him.

Great player. That would be good business.

Willian is awful lads. Does nothing for 90% of seasons, do people actually want him?

Lingard's even worse :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Willian is awful lads. Does nothing for 90% of seasons, do people actually want him?

I'll begin to lose faith in Arteta if he wants Lingard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why did we bother getting rid of Wlebeck if we're going to bring in Aldi-Welbeck in lingard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mossie

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why did we bother getting rid of Wlebeck if we're going to bring in Aldi-Welbeck in lingard?

I think the Lingard rumour started on April 1st so hopefully am April fool story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Quazzie wrote: »

Couldn't see this being true and def can't see Arteta wanting this clown around the team, he'll be trying to get rid of dead wood not buying other peoples

But doesn’t that mean that the staff stay at home and get paid by the club as normal

The staff are at home and are getting 100% of their wages. However it is the government that are paying them 80% and the clubs are paying the 20%.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

But how do we know for sure arsenal are taking the money from the goverment scheme ?

It's not been announced yet.

Also, the 20% that the company puts in is optional. Spurs and a few others have announced that they've chosen not to pay the 20%, while Man City have chosen to pay the 20%.

This isn't spurs bashing, by the way, it's just a fact, and I can see why they (and others) have done it. While they might be worth hundreds millions as a company, that's only notional, on the stock market. They've got to pay their staff from their incoming cash, and with all football suspended, that's probably disappeared. Whether a club chooses to do it or not will largely come down to their balance sheet, and that's why that furlough system has been put in place in the first place, a lot of places could go under without it.

If this keeps up, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few clubs go under anyway, even with all the supports in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

City are paying 100%, as are Arsenal so far as we know.

Liverpool and Spurs are allowing the govt pay 80% of non-playing staff wages which looks obscene when they are both owned by billionaires and the govt could be spending that money on health services.

But how do we know for sure arsenal are taking the money from the goverment scheme ?

No, I meant Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool, Bournemouth and Norwich were. Just hoping that Arsenal don’t go down that road.

I’ve only seen Willian a few times and he played well every time.
    Has good pace to take on a player and has a good delivery.
    Maybe that’s just a coincidence but I was impressed with him.
    Lindgard is awful.

I’ve only seen Willian a few times and he played well every time.
    Has good pace to take on a player and has a good delivery.
    Maybe that’s just a coincidence but I was impressed with him.
    Lindgard is awful.

Chelsea fans aren't exactly fond of him these days.

Chelsea fans aren't exactly fond of him these days.

Wonder why that is :)

• Advertisement

Willian also had a knack of playing well against us. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Liverpool have reversed their decision to furlough some of their non-playing staff and have apologised to their fans.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11969523/liverpool-reverse-furlough-decision-and-apologise-to-fans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Liverpool have reversed their decision to furlough some of their non-playing staff and have apologised to their fans.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11969523/liverpool-reverse-furlough-decision-and-apologise-to-fans

Thank God. Pool fans were wondering what that strange feeling was, not being on the moral high ground. :D

They're being praised for putting out a fire they started

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

FixitFelix wrote: »
    They're being praised for putting out a fire they started

Bit like China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Happy Easter gooners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Happy Easter everyone!!
    Hope you all have a great day despite the difficulties!!

Arsenal the first Premier League club whose players agree to a wage cut. Also Champions League qualification incentives included for next season or the season after.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52322495

• Advertisement

The vast majority of the staff and players have agreed to this voluntary 12.5% reduction in wages, except for Ozil and two others supposedly!

The vast majority of the staff and players have agreed to this voluntary 12.5% reduction in wages, except for Ozil and two others supposedly!

Mhiki is apparently another one, but I'm more concerned about who is leaking, makes the club look really bad..

Mhiki is apparently another one, but I'm more concerned about who is leaking, makes the club look really bad..

Are Ozil and Mkhitaryan both represented by the same agent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Are Ozil and Mkhitaryan both represented by the same agent?

Nah. Mkhitaryan is Raiola. Özil isn’t

For those who want to know about the bizarre table that could help Arsenal into the Champions League, here it is.

European football chiefs will consider using coefficient rankings to decide who plays in the Champions League and Europa League next term — if domestic leagues cannot be finished.

The back-door rule would stun Chelsea and Leicester, especially, who currently sit in the top four, while Manchester United would also benefit.

I was always a great fan of coefficients, we should sign him

For those who want to know about the bizarre table that could help Arsenal into the Champions League, here it is.

European football chiefs will consider using coefficient rankings to decide who plays in the Champions League and Europa League next term — if domestic leagues cannot be finished.

The back-door rule would stun Chelsea and Leicester, especially, who currently sit in the top four, while Manchester United would also benefit.

Where's the table? Us, utd, city and pool?

Poor sp*rs :D

We’d need to be signing a few decent players before we could even contemplate the Champions League. We’re not near good enough at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

We’d need to be signing a few decent players before we could even contemplate the Champions League. We’re not near good enough at the moment.

Don't care, to be honest. Getting knocked out in the group stages gets us more money than winning Europa league, and I gather that this covid19 stuff has put us into dire straights.

It's more attractive to players as well.

It might make signing a half decent player a bit easier

• Advertisement

That’s a benefit provided we did well but a few hidings from the big boys would soon change all that and have the opposite effect.
    Fail to prepare .........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

You’re not wrong there, the current team would get slapped silly against the big dogs
    I used to go crazy without football in the summer but now I’m not even missing it, funny the way things change

Wasnt we already getting slapped silly by the big guns ever since we moved to the emirates LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Woah! Just out of curiosity I searched for The Tuesday Club podcast on my podcast app and lo and behold there's a trailer for a return in a new feed from a couple of days ago!

Thank Christ, I needed something like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Woah! Just out of curiosity I searched for The Tuesday Club podcast on my podcast app and lo and behold there's a trailer for a return in a new feed from a couple of days ago!

Thank Christ, I needed something like this!

New podcast out on eh Tuesday 👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

How did you figure that?? It’s going to be so much harder to sign a player, imho.
    The current players have all taken a pay cut so how can we go out and sign a player and not alienate the current squad?
    “Ah sure youse all take pay cuts but we will still spend this money that we have sitting in our bank acct to sign a.n.other and give him a signing on fee and full wages etc etc “ ... really not sure if that works, to be honest!!!

How did you figure that?? It’s going to be so much harder to sign a player, imho.
    The current players have all taken a pay cut so how can we go out and sign a player and not alienate the current squad?
    “Ah sure youse all take pay cuts but we will still spend this money that we have sitting in our bank acct to sign a.n.other and give him a signing on fee and full wages etc etc “ ... really not sure if that works, to be honest!!!

That's some pretty strange logic.

It's easier to sign a decent player if you can offer them champions League football, it's that simple. Your theory about the effects of the Coronavirus aren't really relevant, as every club is affected by it.

Are you suggesting that clubs with players on pay cuts can't sign any new players, due to the fact existing players who are getting paid reduced wages (because they're not actually working) will be upset by it?

• Advertisement

Just had a worrying chat over a possible Auba to Chelsea will Willian as part of the deal, I know we'd been offered Willian but Jesus not with Auba as part

Just had a worrying chat over a possible Auba to Chelsea will Willian as part of the deal, I know we'd been offered Willian but Jesus not with Auba as part

We need to hold onto our best players and also strengthen in other areas where needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sounds about right. All this Covid nonsense has put the breaks on our normal eejitry.

Something ibecilic is already overdue.

Madrid have told Arsenal they want €50m (£44m) for Ceballos. I can't see Arsenal agreeing to that but you'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Willian is out of contract, not sure what he'd have to do with anything.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement