Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 3 REmake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Definitely an austere feeling to it. I count one puzzle so far. Hospital was surprisingly fun. Hunters are still... Hunters at least.

There's very little in the way of exploration and the level design is horrendous for a Resident Evil game. I don't object to backtracking at all if it's executed well such as in the last remake.

I wonder if this was just rushed out the door. A year is very little time to design and create a game in this day and age.

The game has apparently been in development for 3 years in parallel with 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The game has apparently been in development for 3 years in parallel with 2.

I thought 3 only got the green light after 2 sold so well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I've never played RE until 7 so I'm new, from what I heard though they changed so much in 3 remake so why not extend the game. I was stunned when it ended and most of my time was the long boss fights. I'd say I could get it down to 2-3 hours.

Have u played RE 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Has anyone attempted the last boss battle on nightmare mode? It is indeed an absolute nightmare. Must be at it 90 mins so far. One step wrong and you're dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

RopeDrink wrote: »
    All the running around to explore is somewhat futile outside of hip-pounch and weapon upgrades. You'll be given a veritible cluster-tonne of resources before and during each fight. This may change on hardcore but both my standard runs had me with full storage of grenades, heals, sub-weapons and grenades out the wazoo, rendering the lockpick and bolt-cutters into a dud-investment. The only one you'd really need is the Grenade Launcher (to avoid above-mentioned spinny-McDickus if you're hoping to speed-run). Failing that, good dodging with the pistol is sufficient.

If you dont pick up the grenade launcher, it spawns in the safe room before the fight you're talking about. Same as the shotgun/launcher spawning in the lab in RE2:re

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

blaa85 wrote: »
    Has anyone attempted the last boss battle on nightmare mode? It is indeed an absolute nightmare. Must be at it 90 mins so far. One step wrong and you're dead.

I found him fairly easy, use the pistol to take out his glowing blob bits, he's down, put back in power things, shoot him. Repeat. Dead.

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Have u played RE 4

No, I can't stand the controls of anything before Revlations, I remember getting 4 free with my Wii and you couldn't move and aim at the same time. Looked ugly so off to the charity shop that went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I found him fairly easy, use the pistol to take out his glowing blob bits, he's down, put back in power things, shoot him. Repeat. Dead.

On nightmare mode??? I beat him on hardcore mode no bother, but the one hit kills on nightmare is ridiculous.

Ended up buying the combat manual, and a defense and health coin and still no luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great write up Rope, my plan was 1 to playthrough once and trade it. I played resistance Beta and found it boring. When the shops open again, if cex are offering good cash offer, I'll pick it up, clear it and sell it. Really glad i didn't go digitally now.

I'm enjoying the game, Jill is great, hate playing as the other lad (Chris?) cause of his gun, empty 2 clips into a zombie head, sure still alive, I did watch some lads stream for the crack as I was too tired to play myself but wanted some RE3, he kept going nom nom nom every time he picked something up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just finished this and it just feels hollow. I wonder if I'd even have noticed the linearity and paucity of content if I hadn't seen the reviews. I reckon so. I think I was done with Raccoon City in well below an hour.

I'm not sure why they bothered redesigning Nemesis this way only to limit him to a small amount of stalking and some scripted sequences. All that talk of enhancing the Tyrant AI just to end up with... this.

I'm not sure what I can add on top of what Ropedrink has already said. It's partly my own fault for pre-ordering. I thought that with the RE engine looking this incredible and from the same company with some re-used assets then this was a shoe-in for GOTY's right, left and centre. Hopefully, this will be the last time I pre-order anything.

Finally, what is it with Capcom and crawling sequences? Are they supposed to add tension? I don't know why they decided to add the worst parts of Resi 6 to this. I really don't.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just finished it. I enjoyed it. It was definitely shorter than RE2 even just in terms of it being more linear to unlock things. A bit of back and forth but not like RE2. Agree about Carlos' gun being annoying. I put so many bullets into zeds to get them to stay down, plus hunters, that I had almost nothing left for the end of the hospital section.

I'll definitely play through a few more times. Get what I missed first time around (never even made it into some of the shops).

If it wasn't for the lockdown I'd in no f'n way of paid 60 quid for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Just finished it in a little over 8 hours, I enjoyed it but it could of been better.

I was a bit let down by Nemesis, really his presence is only confined to a few short, scripted chase sequences, that are more style over substance, his appearances are more for cinematic effect than anything else.

The boss battles were fun though.

Also I felt overpowered most of the time, I played it on standard difficulty and the amount of ammo they give you is ridiculous for a survival horror game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I don't think I can ever forgive 60 euro for this title, despite being a massive, massive, massive RE fan since RE1 on PSX.

For me RE 1-4 are four of the all time best games ever made, I know I'll love this but completing a game in 2 sittings doesn't feel right. I could of justified it if it had mercenaries but I'm going to wait for the first price discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

All I can say is thank god for game sharing.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Just completed my first run though, played on hardcore mode and the steam timer has me down at 8 hours game time.

Overall I enjoyed it but Resident Evil 2 was better.

Gameplay wise its more combat heavy than 2, has far less puzzles, maybe 1 in total, less backtracking, very linear and confined levels.

Nemesis himself was disappointing, his appearances in regular game play where he's tracking you around the maps is where the game generates the most tension, but they just doesn't happen often enough and from the half way point he's just appears in boss battles. The boss battles are a bit bland but I wouldn't call them awful.

Resident Evil 2 stole this game's thunder as did Mr X to Nemesis. Had this come out before Resident Evil 2 I think it reception would of been slightly better and Resident Evil 2's slightly worse. Its just not as fresh or exciting as Resident Evil 2 was a year ago.

Graphically and from a presentation side its fine. Game looks as good as Resident Evil 2, runs well and was very stable. Story and voice acting was fine though I knew what was coming from having played the original. Music wise I don't recall any tracks that stood out in this where as Resident Evil 2 had 2 or 3 really good music pieces.

Yes it felt a little short, but not massively so. My mine gripes compared to the original game where the omission of Live Choices and the Mercenaries mode
    from the game.

I'll get value out of the €46 I payed, I'm the sort of person who will go back through all the unlockable difficulty modes and unlock everything, but for people who are not into that I can see the game lacking value.

Haven't played Resistance yet. I will give it a shot at a later point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Just realized I got this for free with my recent Ryzen 3600 processor purchase along with Monster Hunter Icebourne.

Downloading now. Been looking forward to it but it was never worth €60. Free is even better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

The reason i feel Mr X worked better than Nemesis was because of his simplicity, he was an unstoppable presence that just kept relentlessly following you, far more believable compared to Nemesis with his extravagant array of weapons and abilities, all rendered meaningless due to plot armor, it just looked silly at times.

The reason i feel Mr X worked better than Nemesis was because of his simplicity, he was an unstoppable presence that just kept relentlessly following you, far more believable compared to Nemesis with his extravagant array of weapons and abilities, all rendered meaningless due to plot armor, it just looked silly at times.

To he honest, I was really excited about this. There was a great opportunity here to evolve and build upon the concept of the unstoppable hunter stalking the player and it's been established by the original that Nemesis can use heavy weaponry. The promotional material did a wonderful job of setting this up only for the developers to import a lot of RE6-style nonsense instead.

There was so much opportunity here that was just squandered. They could have expanded on Nemesis' origins beyond that file in the lab. They could have gone with a semi-scripted, ambush hunter role for Nemesis while the player tried to navigate the city. I don't mind the choices being cut out or the Mercenaries mode being absent but to leave such a threadbare and austere single player campaign is just depressing given the potential there was for this game.

I don't know what the odds are of Capcom trying to fix this. I know that Square-Enix released content for Deus Ex: Human Revolution during its mid-game. I'd be surprised if a Mercenaries mode didn't materialise as virtually all of the assets are already there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

But lads ign have this 9 so ye must not be playing it right or something...

An added mercenaries mode would be great but i really can't see them adding something that will take away from resistance. I saw more advertising for resistance than i did the main game, they're all in with it.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

An added mercenaries mode would be great but i really can't see them adding something that will take away from resistance. I saw more advertising for resistance than i did the main game, they're all in with it.

Given that they released the Ghost Survivors scenarios for RE2, I think it's likely that we'll see something for this.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

It might deserve that score, my problem is the lack of puzzles and shortness for €60, it's still a brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Nemesis had weapons in the original and the abilities were similar

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I've just completed it. A little over 7 hours of playtime, with quite a bit of backtracking and exploring pretty much everywhere I could. It's a bit short, but I quite enjoyed it. It looks and runs great - anywhere from 80-140fps on 1440p was what I was getting.

I would say the remake of RE2 was better. This feels a little bit rushed, particularly in the early city levels, RE2 was much more fleshed out I thought. I haven't ever played the original so I can't compare it to that. As others have said there's little to no puzzles which might be a disappointment to some but I didn't mind it so much.

I found Mr. X from RE2 really really good to add tension to the game initially, but he became quite annoying after a while - I just wanted to explore in peace! Nemesis only really appears in scripted events & boss fights, so you don't have that problem this time around, but it would have been nice to see more of him.

There are some cool Easter eggs and references to the other RE games throughout. Anyone else notice the rather creepy Teddy from Resident Evil 7 is in a wheelchair in the hospital? Also, there's a poster for Dino Crisis in the hospital.

I might try a hardcore playthough now.

Ropedrink is spot on.

I think the bigger issue is that two elements of what made the original games and the remake so good, the exploration and the puzzles have been all but completely removed leaving a few decent areas, virtually no exploration or puzzle solving and some novelty scripted sequences which are rather bland even in the first playthrough.

You're missing the point. The person you're quoting wasn't making a comparison to old Nemesis or how it used to work (or even saying much about his arsenal) - it's the fact his weapons don't matter and dilute his presence, not increase it. They were all for the Hollywood Effect. Nemesis just wasn't all that big of a deal here outside of the confined segments post-scripted-activation. After that, it's a showcase of weapons that lead to one super-small boss fight and one segment where you're just dodging left and right down corridoors. That is nothing compared to old Nem with a Rocket Launcher, or even Mr.X with NO WEAPONS AT ALL riding your coat-tails until you progress through a much larger segment.

When I go back to my half-done RE2-R Hardcore playthrough, I'm going to be infinitely more concerned over Mr.X than I ever was with Nemesis in RE3-R because a) You can dodge him, b) his arsenal is just a showcase until the 50% mark, which is where he no longer appears at all outside of crap boss fights, and c) even before that, his there's so little needed to make progress (peppered by constant safe rooms) that his 1-2 normal chase scenes don't matter anyway.

I don't think people understand just how awful these fights are.

Flame-Nem? Throw some grenades - save your ammo. Make sure to stagger one until he does his transformation animation. One or two handgun bullets and dead. This fight will last you about 30 seconds max on Hardcore.
    Doggy-Nem? Fun fact - if you didn't bother bringing the Grenade Launcher to this fight (like I did at the time), Jill will pull one out of thin air for the cinematic ending of the fight, which is super tacky in 2020. You'll also have to tolerate watching Nem run around in circles for 10-20 seconds a pop after a few shots so he can charge up whatever stupid, nonsensical, dodgeable move he wants to do. It's so poorly designed and tacky it's not funny. In fact, it's actually WORSE when you DO bring the launcher because then you have to cringe at Nem knocking himself around repeatedly like a dumb puppy. It was clearly done purely as an excuse to expose a weak spot.
    Pit-Nem? Same as above, except now you can stun-lock him with explosive rounds until the boring spinny-mcdickus drivel that requires shooting buttons. Repeat until dead.
    Final-Nem? The absolute worst boss fight in the game and one of the worst in the franchise. Shoot rail-gun. Shoot pustules. Push things. Shoot rail-gun. Enjoy your victory.

Actually reading that back I did actually enjoy all those Nemisis boss fights, I dunno, they weren't masterclass boss design but they were fun for me. And sure that's the point of playing a game, fun. They were also tough first time so that also added to the stress of trying to beat him. All fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

z0oT wrote: »
    I've just completed it. A little over 7 hours of playtime, with quite a bit of backtracking and exploring pretty much everywhere I could. It's a bit short, but I quite enjoyed it. It looks and runs great - anywhere from 80-140fps on 1440p was what I was getting.

I would say the remake of RE2 was better. This feels a little bit rushed, particularly in the early city levels, RE2 was much more fleshed out I thought. I haven't ever played the original so I can't compare it to that. As others have said there's little to no puzzles which might be a disappointment to some but I didn't mind it so much.

I found Mr. X from RE2 really really good to add tension to the game initially, but he became quite annoying after a while - I just wanted to explore in peace! Nemesis only really appears in scripted events & boss fights, so you don't have that problem this time around, but it would have been nice to see more of him.

There are some cool Easter eggs and references to the other RE games throughout. Anyone else notice the rather creepy Teddy from Resident Evil 7 is in a wheelchair in the hospital? Also, there's a poster for Dino Crisis in the hospital.

I might try a hardcore playthough now.

Why dont you go back and play the original and Re4. Both brillant games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Just finished it.
    3 sittings
    Completion time: 5 hours 35mins
    Played on standard mode.

I thought it was brilliant though the story wasn’t as good as RE2 though.
    Yes it was definitely shorter.

I really really enjoyed this game though.
    And maybe more than RE2R
    I found this to be far jumpier and a little more on the edge of your seat.
    RE2R May have felt better because it was new to everyone.

I found parts of RE2R a little bit boring and X just became annoying after a while and not scary also his footstep audio could be far scarier making it more bass heavy.

This game RE3R was brilliant, I found as it went on though it got a bit easier. I had stacks of gunpowder towards the end.

I felt the map was kind of a forced route and I also felt this game was more aimed at speed runners.

I found early Nemesis a lot more fun and terrifying.

Overall a fantastic game IMO. 45 euro would be a fair price for this. 60 is I agree too much.

I had played a lot of RE resistance Beta and I thought it was brilliant. Just takes time to get the hang of things. Being the survivor wasn’t easy but once you understood the puzzles etc it made it a bit easier. Completed it twice as survivor.

Downloading Resistance now and can’t wait to hop on.

• Advertisement

How the f*ck do I die twice to this second last boss fight with more ammo and the knowledge of knowing what I'm at... first run I did it no bother.

Advertisement