Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Language

• 10-12-2019 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Just wondering what others here feel about the Irish Language/Gaeilge
    Please comment if you wish.

How do you fell about the Irish Language 210 votes

Should be restored as the main used language in the state
    71% 151 votes
    Should be promoted more and encouraged
    7% 16 votes
    Leave things as they are no change needed
    14% 30 votes
    Don't care about it really
    1% 3 votes
    Better off rid of it and encourage it to die
    4% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

saabsaab wrote: »
    Just wondering what others here fell about the Irish Language/Gaeilge

na, you're alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

finally something new to discuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I think our native tongue should be our primary language. Crazy I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I think I'd prefer another Mr Fegelien thread before this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What do you think yourself OP? Poll results are hidden.

Personally I don't have much time for the Irish language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What do you think yourself OP? Poll results are hidden.

Personally I don't have much time for the Irish language.

I don't want to influence the voting by giving an opinion, vote will be revealed at the end, 6 days time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Multiple choice and hidden poll.

Uafuckingfásach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

saabsaab wrote: »
    Just wondering what others here fell about the Irish Language/Gaeilge

you might want to brush up on the old bearla before getting worried about Irish I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

this isn't going very well OP is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Hidden polls suck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Hidden poll me backside. Here's my vote:

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Hidden poll me backside. Here's my vote:

Should be mandatory. English can get picked up in our spare time due to being promoted more / encouraged

If we spoke our language we could at least justify the republic prefix just a bit. Which at the moment appears laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Minor language, nice to know, but declining in usage versus the largest language and de facto global lingua franca, essential in all parts of life, is no competition no matter how much you love it nor how much money gets thrown at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Should be mandatory.

Mandatory for whom?

What does being a republic have to do with anything?

Voting going nicely, all options have received votes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

What's that gobshite doing on the television? Are those my feet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

is_that_so wrote: »
    Minor language, nice to know, but declining in usage versus the largest language and de facto global lingua franca, essential in all parts of life, is no competition no matter how much you love it nor how much money gets thrown at it.

You want is all to speak Frankish? ;)

It's not about hating the english, it's about heritage and culture and that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Should be mandatory. English can get picked up in our spare time due to being promoted more / encouraged

If we spoke our language we could at least justify the republic prefix just a bit. Which at the moment appears laughable

I don't own a language...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Poll options are ridiculous.

Make it optional. Support independent initiatives to promote it. Learn from Wales where Welsh is still widely spoken. Stand up to the Gaelgoirs who've been bleeding it for nearly a century.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Mandatory for whom?

It’s frustrating why should only the privileged get proper lessons in our language? And is that what makes them so

• Advertisement

It’s frustrating why should only the privileged get proper lessons in our language? And is that what makes them so

What??

Poll options are ridiculous.

Make it optional. Support independent initiatives to promote it. Learn from Wales where Welsh is still widely spoken. Stand up to the Gaelgoirs who've been bleeding it for nearly a century.

They are not ridiculous, all seem to have a following. Interesting that their is support for getting rid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

So just ape the Welsh and everything will be hunky dory!

As I see it, the Welsh have a language (yay!) and not much else - whereas we're the other way around. I'd far rather be us than them.

Who are these privileged?

Who are these privileged?

Those (af)fluent in the irish dialect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So only people who are already fluent in Irish (i.e. - the "privleged") have access to Irish lessons...?

You want is all to speak Frankish? ;)

It's not about hating the english, it's about heritage and culture and that.
    Historically minor languages tend to decline when confronted with a more-commonly spoken and more economically beneficial language. Culture has less to do with it than the practicalities of life. Even amongst young Gaeltacht Irish speakers vocabulary ranges in Irish have fallen.

171170 wrote: »

As I see it, the Welsh have a language (yay!) and not much else - whereas we're the other way around. I'd far rather be us than them.
    Not as many speak it now and its usage is sliding.

Just an excuse for the fact that by and large the population aren't that bothered with it.
    Almost everyone gets to learn it. What they do with it after that is up to them.

• Advertisement

and how does being fluent in irish lead to being affluent?

Just an excuse for the fact that by and large the population aren't that bothered with it.
    Almost everyone gets to learn it. What they do with it after that is up to them.

Then we should reinstill it as the de facto; default language.

In the meantime those rich in the native tongue have that advantage over us and can put it to good use. Melt a few foreign girls hearts... :P make their panties moist

Then we should reinstill it as the de facto; default language.

In the meantime those rich in the native tongue have that advantage over us and can put it to good use. Melt a few foreign girls hearts... :P make their panties moist

you are talking complete bobbins.

Should be BollocksHats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

171170 wrote: »

A perfect illustration of why Irish is dying and why constructive debate is impossible. My thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Am often of the same opinion when she’s speaking the same language but when the nagamese begins to flow I suddenly somehow understand. That’s when the true universal language comes into effect....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There are few countries in the world where a minority language would be happily denigrated by non-speakers of that language. And most of those countries would be tyrannical states like China.

Thankfully, the sort of dweeb who works in the lower rungs of IT, and who posts on Boards, doesn't represent the views of the majority. Our language is a unique and precious thing, and we should do everything possible to preserve the language for future generations. That's a tough ask, especially with the insidious creep of American culture via the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

There are few countries in the world where a minority language would be happily denigrated by non-speakers of that language. And most of those countries would be tyrannical states like China.

Thankfully, the sort of dweeb who works in the lower rungs of IT, and who posts on Boards, doesn't represent the views of the majority. Our language is a unique and precious thing, and we should do everything possible to preserve the language for future generations. That's a tough ask, especially with the insidious creep of American culture via the internet.

I can’t speak a word of it myself but the hatred towards the Irish language shown on this website really is the most jarring example of post-colonial self-loathing you’ll see nowadays.

That’s not an attitude shared by many young people, though. My son attends many of these Pop Up Gaeltachts though and apparently they’re always heaving with confident young Gaels.

Most of the users of this website would be sheltered middle aged urbanites from Dublin who have never actually ventured into a Gaeltacht, whose only exposure to the language would be their Irish lessons in school.

The modern curriculum is light years ahead of those days, it might be time for some people to get with the times a bit.

Who, exactly, are you blaming here; and what exactly do you think these people should have done?

OP should have an option in favour of the language, but "actually personally doing something about it" instead of..
    "someone should learn it for me so i dont have to" or "govt should fling money at it until we are all fluent" options.

That would be a far more enlightening set of results.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I can’t speak a word of it myself but the hatred towards the Irish language shown on this website really is the most jarring example of post-colonial self-loathing you’ll see nowadays.

That’s not an attitude shared by many young people, though. My son attends many of these Pop Up Gaeltachts though and apparently they’re always heaving with confident young Gaels.

Most of the users of this website would be sheltered middle aged urbanites from Dublin who have never actually ventured into a Gaeltacht, whose only exposure to the language would be their Irish lessons in school.

The modern curriculum is light years ahead of those days, it might be time for some people to get with the times a bit.

I think the hatred for people who simple don't connect with the language is the real thing here. I am not my langauge, so the use of the word "self" here is bull****, and then "post colonial"...? Feckin, hell - really? I think THIS attitude is more in line with the attitudes that you get in China where people are expected to quell individuality and express State love above all else.

As regards the curriculum - it may well be, but is it producing more enthusiastic speakers? Or is it still just seen as a school subject to earn university points on?

JUST to clarify: I don't hate the language, I'm just indifferent to it. Yes, that is an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ah Aongus Von B Woke Hogan JohnnyFlash. So transparent.

OP should have an option in favour of the language, but "actually personally doing something about it" instead of..
    "someone should learn it for me so i dont have to" or "govt should fling money at it until we are all fluent" options.

That would be a far more enlightening set of results.
    Reviving any language relies primarily on teaching children how to speak it. Adults simply lack the capacity to learn languages to native-level quality, especially ones as phonetically different as Irish and English.

I think the hatred for people who simple don't connect with the language is the real thing here. I am not my langauge, so the use of the word "self" here is bull****, and then "post colonial"...? Feckin, hell - really? I think THIS attitude is more in line with the attitudes that you get in China where people are expected to quell individuality and express State love above all else.

As regards the curriculum - it may well be, but is it producing more enthusiastic speakers? Or is it still just seen as a school subject to earn university points on?

JUST to clarify: I don't hate the language, I'm just indifferent to it. Yes, that is an option.
    Expressing a disgust for monolingual ethnocentrism isn't the same as insisting on forcing people to love the State. Are you insane?

It’s cool and modern to hate it these days, like most Irish things, but I’d love to have it spoken more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Most people have a subject they don’t like or don’t have an aptitude for. I was mostly good at languages and a total swot for much of my schooling but Irish always left me cold. For some, it just isn’t their thing. If somebody can dislike other subjects without criticism, the same should be afforded to those with no interest in Irish. That it's a native language won’t make the person like it more.

Expressing a disgust for monolingual ethnocentrism isn't the same as insisting on forcing people to love the State. Are you insane?

It might well be, If I had actually said it. Which we both know I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

On the subject of subjects in school. Get rid of f**king maths. Everybody saying Irish is a dead subject, so is maths. The maths teachers back in the day told me I needed to know the hoors bastard of a subject because when I left school I'd never have a calculator 24/7 in my pocket. Goes to show what those eegits knew.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I think you'll find that people don't hate the language itself — they hate the idea that every child should be forced to endure 13 years' compulsory education in it.

I like classical music. I should be entitled to listen to classical music in my home or car, go to classical concerts, and share my passion for it with like-minded friends. But should I have the right to force my musical preferences on the entire country? Of course not. And yet that's exactly what happens with the Irish language — a militant minority tries to force its linguistic choices on everyone else, and calls everyone who disagrees a self-loathing West Brit, or what have you.

A genuinely liberal country would allow people to choose for themselves which languages they speak or learn in school. It's no accident that compulsory Irish is a product of the authoritarian 1930s.

I think you'll find that people don't hate the language itself — they hate the idea that every child should be forced to endure 13 years' compulsory education in it.

I like classical music. I should be entitled to listen to classical music in my home or car, go to classical concerts, and share my passion for it with like-minded friends. But should I have the right to force my musical preferences on the entire country? Of course not. And yet that's exactly what happens with the Irish language — a militant minority tries to force its linguistic choices on everyone else, and calls everyone who disagrees a self-loathing West Brit, or what have you.

A genuinely liberal country would allow people to choose for themselves which languages they speak or learn in school. It's no accident that compulsory Irish is a product of the authoritarian 1930s.
    Right, well, off you toddle to a discussion about it as a school subject then. This is about the language itself, as per the original post.

Go on. The free market has decided.

Reviving any language relies primarily on teaching children how to speak it. Adults simply lack the capacity to learn languages to native-level quality, especially ones as phonetically different as Irish and English.
    It really doesn't. It relies on them on wanting to use it. They largely don't need to in adult life. That's also untrue about adults. They can achieve a whole lot more than phonetics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement