Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media modem/router

• 10-12-2019 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I currently have a Ubee EVW3226 router with Virgin Media broadband. I have had it for years and am wondering do they offer a better product now or should I stick with it.

Just thought I’d ask here before talking to VM on their forum.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi all

I currently have a Ubee EVW3226 router with Virgin Media broadband. I have had it for years and am wondering do they offer a better product now or should I stick with it.

Just thought I’d ask here before talking to VM on their forum.

Thanks

Just transferred to Vodafone router on 1gb fiber speed (from virgins 300 speed which never got above 100) for almost €250 less a year with TV. Router is in a more concealed area than that virgin box and there isn’t a single black spot in the house with the new one.

Am no big fan of Vodafone but the Virgin router and the archaic horizon box, speeds and price plans they provide are shockingly bad. Customer service mediocre to bad. Will never ever go back to virgin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

You can get a free upgrade to newer virgin media hub here https://www.virginmedia.ie/besthub/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Simply Red wrote: »
    You can get a free upgrade to newer virgin media hub here https://www.virginmedia.ie/besthub/

thats the one I had, greatest heap of sh*te bar none except for their horizon box with the nokia circa '00 like remote. Am thoroughly enjoying my new provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Simply Red wrote: »

Thanks.

Does this one allow to broadcast 2.4ghz and 5ghz at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

nialldinho wrote: »
    Thanks.

Does this one allow to broadcast 2.4ghz and 5ghz at the same time?

Virgin Hub Router has both 2.4 and 5.0
    2.4 Ghz is G/N
    5.0 Ghz is G/N/AC

You can use same ssid for both 2.4 or 5.0 or create separate ssid
    By default it uses same ssid but you can easily change that to be separate ssid
    Both broadcast same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

paulboland wrote: »
    Virgin Hub Router has both 2.4 and 5.0
    2.4 Ghz is G/N
    5.0 Ghz is G/N/AC

You can use same ssid for both 2.4 or 5.0 or create separate ssid
    By default it uses same ssid but you can easily change that to be separate ssid
    Both broadcast same time

Thanks!

Got it today and had trouble with smart plugs going offline so they advised setting up separate SSIDs alright.

Major improvement on the old ubee modem straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Yesterday, I upgraded with VM to 360Mbps (from 240Mbps). The guy said nothing about having to get a new modem. I've got the old reliable Cisco EPC3925, set in bridge mode (for years) with my own router (TP-Link C4000). I was under the impression they could just flip a switch to give me the speed increase.

Now they're telling me that I must upgrade the modem in order to get the higher speed. I told them that wasn't true, that the Cisco will do up to 440Mbps and that I didn't think they were using DOCSIS 3.1 yet so the old modem should be fine.

Has anyone recently managed to upgrade to the 360Mbps service while keeping the Cisco modem? Is there anything in particular I should be saying to them? I don't want the hassle of the new modem with DS-Lite and will just stay on 240Mbps if they persist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Yesterday, I upgraded with VM to 360Mbps (from 240Mbps). The guy said nothing about having to get a new modem. I've got the old reliable Cisco EPC3925, set in bridge mode (for years) with my own router (TP-Link C4000). I was under the impression they could just flip a switch to give me the speed increase.

Now they're telling me that I must upgrade the modem in order to get the higher speed. I told them that wasn't true, that the Cisco will do up to 440Mbps and that I didn't think they were using DOCSIS 3.1 yet so the old modem should be fine.

Has anyone recently managed to upgrade to the 360Mbps service while keeping the Cisco modem? Is there anything in particular I should be saying to them? I don't want the hassle of the new modem with DS-Lite and will just stay on 240Mbps if they persist...

Just take the hub and put it into bridge mode...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You can get horizon free and dslite turned off which will give you the option to put it into bridge mode.

Advertisement