Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to find a very old type fuse?

Options
  • 10-12-2019 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

All power went in the house last week, nothing tripped though.. finally got someone look at the fuseboard last night.

He figured out it was the old ceramic fuse that has blown. House is old, rewire done a few years ago, this fuse is the only old style one left. Its a 40 amp DZ fuse if I heard him right.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for finding where to buy these?
    Haven't had any luck yet ringing around electrical shops locally.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,461 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Where is local?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Could be repaired with appropriate fuse wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,149 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Try a trade electric place.
    The kind of place where electricians buy stuff.
    There will be one local to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭lucalux

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Where is local?

Ha sorry, I'm based in the midlands!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,091 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I bought a nearly full set of amperages in a local retailer in Maynooth ~18 months ago. The big hardware multiples wont have them but independents often will

Appliance shop style electrical retailers would be less likely to have them than hardware stores, albeit mine were got in a very small electrical retailer

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Could be repaired with appropriate fuse wire.

He did try to MacGuyver something but i think it was an issue with the gauge rings or something, couldnt get it to screw in

Thanks guys, good to know they can be gotten at least.

Will see how i get on tomorrow, there's a few electrical suppliers i could check with now that I think of it. I just wasn't sure if I could buy from them, not being in a tradesman or that

I tried a few smaller indie shops and they said they wouldnt stock them at all anymore, so that probably put the scares on me that they'd be a hassle to get.
    Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,149 ✭✭✭✭elperello

lucalux wrote: »
    Thanks guys, good to know they can be gotten at least.

Will see how i get on tomorrow, there's a few electrical suppliers i could check with now that I think of it. I just wasn't sure if I could buy from them, not being in a tradesman or that

I tried a few smaller indie shops and they said they wouldnt stock them at all anymore, so that probably put the scares on me that they'd be a hassle to get.
    Here's hoping!

They won't have a problem fixing you up at a trade counter.

They are well out of date which is why they are not stocked in many places.

You might consider an upgrade.

elperello wrote: »
    They won't have a problem fixing you up at a trade counter.

They are well out of date which is why they are not stocked in many places.

You might consider an upgrade.

To be honest I'm stunned there's still something that out of date left in after a full rewire of the house only four years ago approx. The house isn't mine, so I've no power (excuse the pun) to make those kinds of changes. Would make sense to me if it could be upgraded, just for peace of mind.

Really good to hear the trade suppliers will be able to help if they have them in stock though. Be great to have it working again!
    Appreciate your help lads, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Did your friend identify what caused the fuse to blow?
    They can fail due to ageing but better to know if anything is awry.
    Did he do any testing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

They have sand in them to quench the flame when the fuse blows. A DIY job wont have the sand once you take it apart,

Is there only one as the main fuze, or is the entire fuseboard full of fuses. Can you post a pic of the fusebaord.

Cerco wrote: »
    Did your friend identify what caused the fuse to blow?
    They can fail due to ageing but better to know if anything is awry.
    Did he do any testing?

Well not my friend, a friend of my Dad's. Not sure he's a registered electrician even? I hope he is?

He showed up at night to a house with no power, with no torch or anything ha, so i didn't expect him to do much at that stage.

I asked him about reasons why it would have blown, appliances in question etc, of course age being one that seemed likely and i was hopeful it's just that. He was fairly uninterested in answering me.

Asked about the fuses and his suggestions were to check in tbe local shop, and to ask my dad.
    Not much help in that way either i have to say.

Have called a load of electricians and none have been picking up or are busy elsewhere. Im hoping before the end of the week i might get someone in though, who can tell me more.

dingding wrote: »
    They have sand in them to quench the flame when the fuse blows. A DIY job wont have the sand once you take it apart,

Is there only one as the main fuze, or is the entire fuseboard full of fuses. Can you post a pic of the fusebaord.

Only the one old type fuse left, its in the black box with the meter so i presume its a main fuse?
    Will attach pics soon if i can yes thanks

This is the set up, the fuse is the one to the right of the meter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

This is the set up, the fuse is the one to the right of the meter

If the house was recently rewired then a certificate should have been issued

This fuse is an esbn fuse and should be sealed and replaced only by esb

The main cable from db to meter should have been upgraded at the time also

Get the rec back

meercat wrote: »
    If the house was recently rewired then a certificate should have been issued

This fuse is an esbn fuse and should be sealed and replaced only by esb

The main cable from db to meter shows have been upgraded at the time also

Get the rec back

Ok thanks for that info...

So just to clarify, cos i know nothing about all of this sorry!
    A registered electrical contractor is ok to do this fuse replacement, or the esb networks guys need to be called out?

I've found a load of old fuses in the meantime, knew there were some here but only found them this morning.
    Now none are the same shape as the one that's come out of it, but i wonder if they're usable?

House was rewired definitely, by rec's i could swear to that, but no idea about the certificate. Its my elderly granny's house and she doesn't know anything about it. Other family members dont seem to know either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newuser555555

To be honest I'm stunned there's still something that out of date left in after a full rewire of the house only four years ago approx. The house isn't mine, so I've no power (excuse the pun) to make those kinds of changes. Would make sense to me if it could be upgraded, just for peace of mind.

Really good to hear the trade suppliers will be able to help if they have them in stock though. Be great to have it working again!
    Appreciate your help lads, cheers

a neighbour had a board upgrade for renting purposes and the reci were very reluctant to replace that fuse, i think he ended up having to keep his. some nonsense about the difficulty of having an old house with old board and new wiring, which i call bull on since if your upgrading everything is new

These are the fuses i found. Just in case i have one here that could be used?

a neighbour had a board upgrade for renting purposes and the reci were very reluctant to replace that fuse, i think he ended up having to keep his. some nonsense about the difficulty of having an old house with old board and new wiring, which i call bull on since if your upgrading everything is new

It seems nonsense to me too, but cheers its good to know its possibly a done thing and not 'just' laziness. Though the result is kind of the same in the end.

None of the fuses you have posted are suitable

You should not have access to this fuse as there should be a cover on it and sealed by esbn

Only esbn should be replacing this fuse

It’s very rare that this blows so there may be issues.(need this checked ASAP)

It’s unlikely a certificate was issued as the meter and fuse cut-out would have been upgraded

You’ll probably need to get original contractor back and issue a certificate if you have his details

Esbn won’t be happy that seals are broken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 newuser555555

You should not have access to this fuse as there should be a cover on it and sealed by esbn

It’s unlikely a certificate was issued as the meter and fuse cut-out would have been upgraded

You’ll probably need to get original contractor back and issue a certificate if you have his details

what are you talking about hes describing a bottle type fuse in the cu not the main cartridge fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Indeed - ESBN are the only guys to do this. By rights you should call them.
    A way to get them out also is to ask for an upgade to a night rate meter - it prompts them to come out and sanity check the installation around their meter.

what are you talking about hes describing a bottle type fuse in the cu not the main cartridge fuse

No. The op posted a photo and said it’s the one to the right of the meter. This is clearly an esbn main fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Get ESBN out, they will more than likely replace your Cut out and Tails to meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

He’s posted a pic of the main incomer fuse from the esb.

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Exact same fuse went in my late mother's house. The ESB replaced the whole thing very promptly and for free.
    Might have been because she was in home care, but nobody ever looked for money or paperwork.

Update to say, once I knew it was an esbn fuse I called them and they sent out two lads who replaced the whole lot with a modern trip switch, (with a seal on it now!) and changed the ampage to 60A, they said no charge either, I'm really glad to say.
    Replaced tails too.

They were out at the house within two hours of me calling in about it.

Cheers for all the help and opinions and info, greatly appreciated. Power back at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Update to say, once I knew it was an esbn fuse I called them and they sent out two lads who replaced the whole lot with a modern trip switch, (with a seal on it now!) and changed the ampage to 60A, they said no charge either, I'm really glad to say.
    Replaced tails too.

They were out at the house within two hours of me calling in about it.

Cheers for all the help and opinions and info, greatly appreciated. Power back at last!

That's a good result. They hustle when they can.
    Interesting they didn't replace the meter, but probably advantageous to you to have a meter with more and more resistance on the spinning wheel...

Yeah absolutely, I'm delighted it worked out that well to be honest. I was preparing for the worst when it came to whatever was wrong, and yes gotta be happy about the meter too in that case - i wouldn't have known about the difference in resistance in getting a new one installed, so even better!

• Advertisement
Advertisement