Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uk channels gone from saor view a few months now

• 10-12-2019 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

My das TVs in his house near skerries no longer pick up the UK stations on saorview.

It’s been like this a good few months now.

He was picking up the stations through his old terrestrial aerial as far as I know. I don’t recall him ever getting anything changed up there.

I ran the auto tune again on his TVs but the still only picked up the Irish stuff.

Did something change a couple of months ago to cause this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

Yes, Freeview channels in Northern Ireland changed frequency in September. I lost the channels too and my aerial can't pick up the new frequencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Is a new aerial needed? Can you recommend any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

I'm picking up everything in Drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭emaherx

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    My das TVs in his house near skerries no longer pick up the UK stations on saorview.

It’s been like this a good few months now.

He was picking up the stations through his old terrestrial aerial as far as I know. I don’t recall him ever getting anything changed up there.

I ran the auto tune again on his TVs but the still only picked up the Irish stuff.

Did something change a couple of months ago to cause this?

UK channels are not part of saorview. If your dad's tv was picking them up by aerial then the channels were being received from a transmitter much further away than the Saorview channels, so aerial may have moved in the wind or the mast head amplifier may have failed.

Most people however receive UK channels by a separate Satellite dish so again wind moving the dish is an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

emaherx wrote: »
    UK channels are not part of saorview. If your dad's tv was picking them up by aerial then the channels were being received from a transmitter much further away than the Saorview channels, so aerial may have moved in the wind or the mast head amplifier may have failed.

Most people however receive UK channels by a separate Satellite dish so again wind moving the dish is an option.

UK Freeview channels can be picked up with an antenna.
    In the North - East the most popular transmitter would be Kilkeel in Co. Down .

• Advertisement

UK Freeview channels can be picked up with an antenna.
    In the North - East the most popular transmitter would be Kilkeel in Co. Down .

I know, but require better alignment and a working mast head amp compared to picking up Saorview. Don't think I said anything to suggest otherwise.

gipi wrote: »
    Yes, Freeview channels in Northern Ireland changed frequency in September. I lost the channels too and my aerial can't pick up the new frequencies.

I assume your aerial is the wrong band group for the new frequencies this is a possibility for the OP too if channels were lost at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Is a new aerial needed?

The new (since September) frequencies at the Kilkeel transmitter will work just as well with existing aerials.

The problem is interfering signals from other places. A few people on here say they got the channels back by adjusting the aerial alignment. (Presumably strengthening the wanted signal &/or weakening the unwanted.)

Advertisement