Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart switches

Options
  • 10-12-2019 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

have ordered a few Sonoff Wifi switches for a few lamps around the house and one of their wifi security cameras

Will update when I have them installed

Not going to go with the Alexa or google yet, just want to get these running and see how it goes

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have some of the switches. They work well but I prefer Philips Hue lamps. I did not know that Sonoff did cameras. Would be interested to hear how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Have wired a few of them for other people, very impressive for the price

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kramer1 wrote: »
    Have wired a few of them for other people, very impressive for the price

The cameras or the switches?

Can anyone recommend where to buy the cameras? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I bought everything from the itead website

2011 wrote: »
    I have some of the switches. They work well but I prefer Philips Hue lamps. I did not know that Sonoff did cameras. Would be interested to hear how you get on.

Got the few switches and camera
    Very impressed with them overall
    Easy to wire, setup and get operational

The camera is decent enough too

I thought it would work to scan the outside by putting it on the window sill inside but there are 2 leds inside the lens that reflect off the glass in the dark and it’s useless
    I’ll get an external cam for that but I’m going to wire it up inside to watch the back window and patio door

It takes a micro SD card
    Records continuously to it in 10min slots and overwrite the oldest when full
    I have a 16GB card and looks to hold about 4 days

Other gripe is cable from charger is very short so had to extend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I have a camera inside looking out. Not a Sonof but it had an option to turn off the led. Works during the day when it's bright and at night when the lights in the kitchen are off.

Thanks
    I checked the settings but couldn’t see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    have ordered a few Sonoff Wifi switches for a few lamps around the house and one of their wifi security cameras

Will update when I have them installed

Not going to go with the Alexa or google yet, just want to get these running and see how it goes

Hi Lex, just curious i am using smart plugs for lamps around the house. (SO HANDY especially the Sunset sunrise feature)
    Are these similar to for instance TP link smart plugs? They look like Window alarm magnets, Am I right in thinking you cut the Lamp power cable and insert the device between the 2 wire cuts?
    Are these basically a more economical way to have smart plugs? IM trying to figure out how they attach to lamps and household items:confused:

Hi Lex, just curious i am using smart plugs for lamps around the house. (SO HANDY especially the Sunset sunrise feature)
    Are these similar to for instance TP link smart plugs? They look like Window alarm magnets, Am I right in thinking you cut the Lamp power cable and insert the device between the 2 wire cuts?
    Are these basically a more economical way to have smart plugs? IM trying to figure out how they attach to lamps and household items:confused:

Hi, you basically put them in place of the on/off switch for the lamp. Sometimes these switches can’t be opened up so you just cut them off
    Plenty videos on YouTube
    Just search for Sonoff basic
    They are a 2 wire device so if your lamp has a 3rd earth cable you just connect them both together

Hi, you basically put them in place of the on/off switch for the lamp. Sometimes these switches can’t be opened up so you just cut them off
    Plenty videos on YouTube
    Just search for Sonoff basic
    They are a 2 wire device so if your lamp has a 3rd earth cable you just connect them both together

Thanks Lex i did some googling, it seems theres no setting on the App for dawn to dusk you would have to set up some kind of IFTT. Bugger But thanks for advice ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks Lex i did some googling, it seems theres no setting on the App for dawn to dusk you would have to set up some kind of IFTT. Bugger But thanks for advice ;)

Strange?

I use the eWelink app for all the Sonoff devices and the Sonoff basic definitely can be set for Sunset & Sunrise

I have a few lamps downstairs set for sunset and they've been working fine for the last few weeks

Strange?

I use the eWelink app for all the Sonoff devices and the Sonoff basic definitely can be set for Sunset & Sunrise

I have a few lamps downstairs set for sunset and they've been working fine for the last few weeks

I was googling "Sonoff Phone App" I assumed that would be matching app. So if its working for you there must be. Hmmm that is very interesting I was going to buy more TP link plugs but i might buy a few of these gizmos;)

The app for Sonoff is eWelink
    Available on iOS and Android
    Very easy to use
    I’ve just ordered a bundle more of these including their RF bridge and some PIR’s and window sensors
    They are really good value and quality

Advertisement