Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homer J. Fong's Walrus

Options
  • 10-12-2019 11:30pm

What is Walrus?
    Walrus is a game where you select music and other people judge your choices. Walrus has a host who selects all the categories and then people submit songs and the host judges all the songs in each category.

This Walrus will be judged by His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Deleted User, Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of boards.ie in General and Forum Games in Particular.

Why am I doing this?
    A few reasons. Partly boredom. Partly procrastination. Partly my deep love and appreciation for boards and all its weird and wonderful posters! :p

But mainly it's because I love music, love sharing music with people and love getting suggestions/recommendations for new music. Have really enjoyed the previous Walrus games I've participated in, and hopefully I can bring you all an enjoyable game too. :)

What sort of music am I into?
    Alternative rock, indie rock, synthpop, dream pop and trip-hop are probably the most common genres tagged on to music I listen to. My favourite artists include Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Björk, Radiohead, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Knife, Fever Ray, Arcade Fire, Beach House, Lana Del Rey and Villagers.

I also quite like to listen to jazz every now and then. I'm not generally a fan of rap/hip-hop but there are some exceptions and I suspect plenty out there I would like if I discovered them. There aren't any genres of music I'd flat out refuse to listen to, though death metal and Irish country and western certainly wouldn't be my cup of tea. I'm also quite ignorant of classical music, which is something I should probably seek to change.

But enough about me! Now it's time for you people to show me what you've got in your music arsenal. :cool:

And your categories are:

1. "Can you paint with all the colours of the wind"

It's time to sing a rainbow, and all the other colours too! Give me a song with a colour in its title. Simples.

2. "L is for the way you look at me"

As well as being a common theme in songwriting, "love" is also a very common word found in song titles. Whether it's a romantic love song, a sad heartache song, a bitter anti-love song or anything in between, give me a song with "love" or a related word* in its title."
    *a related word here is a word like "lover", "loving", "loved", "loves" etc. They are acceptable. However, words that just contain love like "glove", "clover" etc. will not be accepted. :p

3. "You're from the 70's but I'm a 90's bitch"

I was born in December 1989, and so technically missed out on being a 90's kid by three weeks. :( But hearing a 90's song that I haven't heard for years can bring back memories of watching Top 30 Hits and (on the rare Sunday morning when I didn't have to go to mass) 2TV, and give a nice nostalgia feeling. Here you need to give me one of your favourite tunes from the 90's. It was the time of grunge, shoegaze, trip-hop, Britpop, girl power, rave and many many other music eras, so you won't be short of options!

4. "This is the new ****, Stand up and admit"

As we reach the end of the 2010's it's appropriate to sit back and reflect on the decade that was. Were there any defining songs of the past ten years for you? Let me know! Give me a song released from January 1 2010 to the present day.

5. "I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Midnight Toker"

So we've had quite a few Walrus games on boards now. And perhaps there's been a song that you've been dying to share, but none of the categories to date have quite fit? Well here's your chance to play your joker - this is a Wildcard round. Send me absolutely ANYTHING. There is nothing too safe or too ridiculous, too long or too short.....it's your chance to have it your way, baby. ;)

Gee Homer, this all sounds terrific. How do I participate?

Well for starters, DO NOT PM ME. I would like to keep this as anonymous as possible so I can judge without any preconceptions or bias. tusk has kindly agreed to receive entries on my behalf and anonymise them for me, so [url=please PM tusk with your submissions.

There's no hard and fast closing date as of yet; when there's been enough entries received (or when tusk gets fed up and tells me to).

Here's a tl;dr for all you impatient folk:

Categories:
    1. A song with a colour in the title
    2. A song with the word "love" (or "loved", "lover(s)", "loving", "loves" etc.) in the title
    3. A song from the 1990's
    4. A song from the 2010's
    5. Wildcard - submit whatever you feel like

PM tusk with your entries.

And good luck to everyone. :)

walrus_square_web.png
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'll get around to throwing some songs in for this one.. some interesting Categories. Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Will the word colour do for the colour song?

Asking for a friend

Green&Red wrote: »

Asking for a friend

Ha, first song that popped into my head had "colour" in it when reading

Asking for a friend

Hmmm.....I'll allow it. But make sure it's a good one! :p

Do you want some Stu Redman analogies to go with them or just the list :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Definitely want in, didn't get my shıt together for Barney and Mr K's

Do you want listening notes, or will you listen to the songs cold?

Edit: just saw trigger beat me :p

Trigger wrote: »
    Do you want some Stu Redman analogies to go with them or just the list :D

You are very much encouraged to give a few lines with your choices, it's nice hearing people's explanations of why they chose a particular song. :) Just bear in mind that I won't be reading them until after the Reveal is over, so they won't have any bearing on your score. tusk may enjoy them though! :p

EDIT: @Electric Nitwit, see above!

tusk may enjoy them though! :p

Great, I'll try to make him cry again!

I've been unbelievably decisive and think I have the first four rounds covered. The joker round is going to take me days though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm in! Will break out the Spotify and get my entry in ASAP.

Love the categories - already have one or two songs that I instantly knew will be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Ooh another Walrus...very tempting.

It's Midnight Toker btw...and it's knowledge like that which saw me get second place in Tusk's Walrus...:)

I'm sure I'll be in...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Great, I'll try to make him cry again!

I still haven't had the balls to read it yet :(

Homer, up to yourself how many you want to let in, or if you want to time restrict entries.

Mine had 27 entries, and it was a lot. If I was ever to do another one, I'd probably limit to 15 or 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Couldn't sleep, so got my nominations in to tusk. Had to make some tough decisions, but think I've got a pretty solid squad of songs.

How do you want them? Just the song title and singer? Spotify? Youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

i do not know any of the indie alt pop hop rock the cool :cool: kids are into...

until someone does a christmas or country walrus :o I am out by default

(yes, I know :rolleyes: I'll get my coat)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Oh yeah think I'll have a go at this after popping my cherry with Tusk(ooh err Matron!)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

My first Walrus.

PM submitted.

I've been unbelievably decisive and think I have the first four rounds covered. The joker round is going to take me days though :p

I should have just entered, now my brain's come up with loads of others and I'm trapped in a swamp of indecisiveness again :(

How do you want them? Just the song title and singer? Spotify? Youtube?

Up to you really. If there's a particular version of a recording you want to submit (like an acoustic, remix, live version etc) then it's safer to provide a link but otherwise name of artist and song title is sufficient.

• Advertisement

tusk wrote: »
    Homer, up to yourself how many you want to let in, or if you want to time restrict entries.

Mine had 27 entries, and it was a lot. If I was ever to do another one, I'd probably limit to 15 or 20.

20 is a good maximum I think, would be great to get that many. :cool: Hopefully I get at least 15 anyway.

Apologies for lack of multi-quote, am on Touch site.
    Deja Boo wrote: »
    i do not know any of the indie alt pop hop rock the cool :cool: kids are into...

until someone does a christmas or country walrus :o I am out by default

(yes, I know :rolleyes: I'll get my coat)

I did actually consider Christmas songs as a category but thought the pool of entries for that might just be a tad limited - receiving five Fairytale of New York and three Slade might be a bit of an anti-climax. :p Could be a good one for Boardsies decide though.

But please do feel free to play anyway: no genre restrictions here so I'm sure you can fit Christmas and country into those categories. :D

I did actually consider Christmas songs as a category but thought the pool of entries for that might just be a tad limited - receiving five Fairytale of New York and three Slade might be a bit of an anti-climax. :p Could be a good one for Boardsies decide though.

Slade

shudders

Are you hanging up your stockings on the wall
    It’s a time when every Santa has a ball

F**king amazing song

Entry submitted

I did actually consider Christmas songs as a category but thought the pool of entries for that might just be a tad limited - receiving five Fairytale of New York and three Slade might be a bit of an anti-climax

I'd have had to submit an entire album!

emmy-tim.jpg

spreadsheet all set up. Four entries so far. Good going!

adox wrote: »
    Oh yeah think I'll have a go at this after popping my cherry with Tusk(ooh err Matron!)

Are you sure the 90's and 10's are not too modern for ya :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Ooooh dare I throw in a Slade song or two? :D

tusk wrote: »
    Slade

shudders

Oh dear, oh dear, oh ****in dear

• Advertisement

Sorry guys but Tusk made me do it :D

Advertisement