Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein Richest Party on the Island of Ireland

Options
  • 11-12-2019 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭

RTE documentary yesterday about Sinn Fein being left €4.6 million, possibly more by eccentric English millionaire William Hampton.

Will this huge windfall enable Sinn Fein to make electoral gains?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

NIMAN wrote: »
    No.

Interesting analysis. There has been much criticism of the former FF tent at the Galway races raising money for FF but surely the legacy of an English landlord to SF will aid it’s election campaigns. If not why do political parties feel the need to raise funds at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Tow

Need to rob ~25 ATM machines to make as much :-)

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

People like people who will tell them what they want to hear. And Sinn Fein will tell you anything if it gains electoral advantage for them. Anything.

This money will be spent online, with bespoke advertising and political messaging dependent on the person online. Just like Facebook analyse your posts, your friends posts, what you like, what you don't like, what you respond positively to, what you don't, etc, until they build up a profile of you, Sinn Fein follow the same principle. All parties do, but no party does it with 100% bullsh't. The next worst offender is probably at 10-15% bullsh't.

I do believe this money used wisely by them will advance their agenda. A lot of young people are SF voters. I do see them in Government as a minority partner in time.

Expect more Shinnerbots online soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

this whole shinnerbot bull**** is fantastic fantasy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Conspiracy theory: Sinn Fein found a naiive looney in England to launder the Northern Bank robbery money through.

Presto, ill-gotten cash lands in the lap of SF HQ upon his death. Dastardly and cunning in equal measure.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Conspiracy theory: Sinn Fein found a naiive looney in England to launder the Northern Bank robbery money through.

Presto, ill-gotten cash lands in the lap of SF HQ upon his death. Dastardly and cunning in equal measure.

I 100% believe this from day one the story broke

maccored wrote: »

https://www.sinnfein.ie/sfos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

“The internet and social media are transforming politics around the world and here in Ireland. Never before has there been so many ways that you can help influence and make change happen through this global online community we live in.”

“We are asking you to take the step today to become a Sinn Féin Online Supporter and join our campaign to reshape politics in Ireland and in doing so usher in an era of radical change that puts the interest of our citizens at the heart of all we do.”

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't think people on here are as exercised by this shinnerbot thing as you think. For a start, there is nobody starting threads in Feedback complaining about shinnerbots on the site. Secondly, I don't think boards.ie would feature highly on any list of social media sites being targetted by the SFOS. They are more likely to focus on Twitter and Facebook. Anyone who steps outside of their own cocoon on those sites will see clear evidence of the activities of the SFOS. Thirdly, the quality of the contributions from many of those who support or appear to support the Sinn Fein position on here is generally abysmally low (yourself being one of the few exceptions) and if this is centrally directed and controlled, that is not good for SF in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

“The internet and social media are transforming politics around the world and here in Ireland. Never before has there been so many ways that you can help influence and make change happen through this global online community we live in.”

“We are asking you to take the step today to become a Sinn F Online Supporter and join our campaign to reshape politics in Ireland and in doing so usher in an era of radical change that puts the interest of our citizens at the heart of all we do.”

So much for fantastic fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

“We are asking you to take the step today to become a Sinn Féin Online Supporter and join our campaign to reshape politics in Ireland and in doing so usher in an era of radical change that puts the interest of our citizens at the heart of all we do.”

Openly working online to campaign for a party? What's the problem with that?
    We know all parties do that.
    They all have an online presence on my Facebook and twitter feeds. (and do we really need to post the FG team hard at work photo again?)

I.E. So what if they are looking for people to promote the party online?

They all have an online presence on my Facebook and twitter feeds. (and do we really need to post the FG team hard at work photo again?)

No, Johnny Dogs will do that shortly.

If those six to eight people in his picture can control the internet, wow.

blanch152 wrote: »
    No, Johnny Dogs will do that shortly.

If those six to eight people in his picture can control the internet, wow.

Are you suggesting SF's team are controlling the internet? :)

Paranoia strikes deep in the partitionist heartland. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Honestly I’m in agreement.

So can we finally put to bed that there are party bots( hate that word) at work here for any party?

And no more ridiculous threads in the feedback forum.

That’s a good move by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Bash them all you want but very few under 40 will vote for FF / FG and Labour threw their credibility away by propping them up for TD's pensions.

Along with the Social Democrats and Greens they're one of the few parties any way in tune with what the younger generation will actually vote for.

The more the old Provo-stained generation are replaced by the likes of Pearse Doherty while the main parties stick to their Thatcherite ideologies the longer that will continue.

They also have a handy knack of not voting to drown migrants in the Mediterranean at EU level or allowing party members to get caught showing their true colours ala Messrs Murphy and Ms Bailey.

The likes of Pearse Doherty is yer problem tbh

if yr bench quality is such that he is up there flinging numbers around for you as Finance spokesperson, yer ****ed

Honestly I’m in agreement.

So can we finally put to bed that there are party bots( hate that word) at work here for any party?

And no more ridiculous threads in the feedback forum.

That’s a good move by all.

You are appealing to the wrong person. I have never had that weak an argument that I have had to stoop to calling somebody a 'bot'.

15 odd years later and we're still waiting on that 'proof' that the 'Ra robbed the northern bank. Trimble didnt want to talk to SF at the time but politically had to. then the robbery happened and Trimble no longer had to talk to SF. Doesnt take a genius to work out what actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Seems the most likely explanation, what’s the official story of how he came by all those millions?

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting SF's team are controlling the internet? :)

Paranoia strikes deep in the partitionist heartland. :)

I think you missed this reply to maccored.
    I don't think people on here are as exercised by this shinnerbot thing as you think. For a start, there is nobody starting threads in Feedback complaining about shinnerbots on the site. Secondly, I don't think boards.ie would feature highly on any list of social media sites being targetted by the SFOS. They are more likely to focus on Twitter and Facebook. Anyone who steps outside of their own cocoon on those sites will see clear evidence of the activities of the SFOS. Thirdly, the quality of the contributions from many of those who support or appear to support the Sinn Fein position on here is generally abysmally low (yourself being one of the few exceptions) and if this is centrally directed and controlled, that is not good for SF in the long run.

No I didn't miss it. The crudity of the attempt to flame made me giggle, if that helps.

you obviously missed the shinnerbot reference in this thread

if yr bench quality is such that he is up there flinging numbers around for you as Finance spokesperson, yer ****ed

I would see someone like Eoin O Brionn being a future party leader if he can ditch the Tom Clarke fanboy look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Interesting analysis. There has been much criticism of the former FF tent at the Galway races raising money for FF but surely the legacy of an English landlord to SF will aid it’s election campaigns.

Why would the Irish electorate be enamored by the fact that an Englishman gave SF a large donation?

Not sure what the you is all about, I rarely vote for Sinn Fein. I usually try and throw them a 3 or a 4. I never vote for the others though.

It isn't football, you don't have to pick a team. You're supposed to vote based on policies. And I don't mean fixing potholes.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Not sure what the you is all about, I rarely vote for Sinn Fein. I usually try and throw them a 3 or a 4. I never vote for the others though.

You do vote for them, if you give them your third or fourth preference 'usually'.
    It isn't football, you don't have to pick a team. You're supposed to vote based on policies. And I don't mean fixing potholes.

Most people don't vote based on policies though. Most Irish people vote for the party that their parents voted for.

Berserker wrote: »
    Why would the Irish electorate be enamored by the fact that an Englishman gave SF a large donation?

Regardless of source of the money used to fight an election campaign its power to enable the fighting of that election can hardly be questioned.

My question I was will this huge windfall enable SF to win more seats?

If SF don’t think it will have any impact on the ability of the party to fight future elections why not donate the money to a mental health or homeless charity?

Berserker wrote: »
    You do vote for them, if you give them your third or fourth preference 'usually'.

Most people don't vote based on policies though. Most Irish people vote for the party that their parents voted for.

Well yeah, I have no issue throwing them something but it's not like I'm smuggling diesel. For the FG types there seems to be little distinction between the two.

Most Irish people are idiots, unfortunately. We laugh away at the Brits and Americans and then do the same thing ourselves.

• Advertisement

Well yeah, I have no issue throwing them something but it's not like I'm smuggling diesel. For the FG types there seems to be little distinction between the two.

You do realise that your vote, even a third or fourth could get them elected? Is it any different than giving them your first preference? Lucky for SF that people don't vote based on policy. If that was the case, they wouldn't get a vote from anyone who works and earns more than €37K.
    We laugh away at the Brits and Americans and then do the same thing ourselves.

Laugh at them for doing what exactly?

Advertisement