Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Only 1 PCI-E cable supplied

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Return the PSU.
    It's laughable that it has connectors for 4 PCIe 8-pin but only comes with 1.
    Tell them you didn't realise it didn't have enough PCIe connectors.

Absolutely DO NOT use that cable - return ASAP
    Modular PSU cables ARE NOT UNIVERSAL - you should never, ever use cables from another manufacturer.

You've still got 2 weeks to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Return the PSU.
    It's laughable that it has connectors for 4 PCIe 8-pin but only comes with 1.
    Tell them you didn't realise it didn't have enough PCIe connectors.

Absolutely DO NOT use that cable - return ASAP
    Modular PSU cables ARE NOT UNIVERSAL - you should never, ever use cables from another manufacturer.

You've still got 2 weeks to Christmas.

ok great thanks for the Advice, Any idea what PSU I should exchange it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭moon2

If you bought your original from CCL then ask them if you can replace it for https://www.cclonline.com/product/228823/CP-9020121-UK/Power-Supplies/Corsair-CX-Series-CX550-550W-80-PLUS-Bronze-Certified-ATX-Power-Supply-Unit-UK-/PSU1414/, which is in stock there.

You may be able to limit your loss to 15%, which is their normal restocking fee, if you explain what happened. The item has been opened and it's not faulty so they may not allow a simple swap.

With the short time between now and christmas you could also ask them if they'd be OK with you paying for a replacement immediately and then they refund you for the old one as soon as they receive it (assuming that works for you).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really bizarre that a £50 PSU even a Gamemax would only have one pci-e cable which makes it pretty useless as a 550w psu really. You can use 2 x molex to a pci-e connector, in fact one probably came with your card I would think? But in general I would get another power supply.

It might be easier to just sell the gamemax on adverts and get a new one rather than have to return it, postage would cost a lot with the weight of the supply. pretty much anything branded would be better than that gamemax. even something basic like this is fine and much better

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-WHITE-Power-Supply-100-W1-0500-K3/dp/B01E4YRP8W/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=evga+550w&qid=1576068179&sr=8-3

Thanks all for the help, never straight forward is it LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

One of these things should have come with your rx590 I would imagine? You could use it for the moment with the Gamemax until you get a better supply, to be honest even though it should work fine I would still get a new one anyway as Gamemax are rubbish.

ps-ea248conv.jpg

So i have a proposition... do you want to buy my old 500w superflower sf-500a14a? I used it for 2-3 years until I upgraded my GPU and needed more power. Can sort out the details in a PM.

EDIT: If 500W is enough, and if you're around Dublin, you can give it a spin before you buy. EUR 20

EDIT2: You can haggle me down to EUR15 and an Americano :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It really only came with 1 cable? But it has connections on the psu for 4?

I doubt the thing can deliver 550w anyway. You don't want to mess around with dodgey PSU's.

It is gold rated at least.

• Advertisement

Look call me crazy but the hassle of CCL and a new PSU I have decided to return the RX590 for a RX580 on Amazon, its just much quicker and easier. The gamemax seems to be getting solid review on Amazon so should do for a while anyways, least its has a year warranty.

moon2 wrote: »
    So i have a proposition... do you want to buy my old 500w superflower sf-500a14a? I used it for 2-3 years until I upgraded my GPU and needed more power. Can sort out the details in a PM.

EDIT: If 500W is enough, and if you're around Dublin, you can give it a spin before you buy. EUR 20

EDIT2: You can haggle me down to EUR15 and an Americano :p

Thanks for the offer and the hard sell, I'm in Clare myself so will have to pass on teh Americano :D

No worries. The old PSU came to mind when I was replying. I've been meaning to sell it for a while but never quite got around to it :p As it's 500W you would probably have been pretty close to the safety boundary as the original GPU you had recommended 500-550 watt.

Glad you got something sorted anyway!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Thanks for the offer and the hard sell, I'm in Clare myself so will have to pass on teh Americano :D

I have the following I got in error for my young lads build:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerocool-Integrator-Efficiency-Mainstream-Systems/dp/B00JKVHL84/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=aerocool+700w&qid=1576159151&sr=8-1

Its still sealed etc. I could do a deal on it with you and im in Laois if thats handier.

Advertisement