Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 King George

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ground conditions at Kempton currently anyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It seems people just want to see Cyrname beat for whatever reason. I think he's the real deal his jumping is flawless and I don't see any reason whatsoever why he won't stay.

Lostintranslation is a massive danger though so I'll just watch and enjoy.

I am only thinking about poor Slattsy on the 27th tbh. The GPO is a cowld place to be in your birthday suit for a day.

I am win only thistlecrack and clan des obeaux. Reverse forecast also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

It seems people just want to see Cyrname beat for whatever reason. I think he's the real deal his jumping is flawless and I don't see any reason whatsoever why he won't stay.

Lostintranslation is a massive danger though so I'll just watch and enjoy.

I like both. They are top rated for a reason. I think Cyrname is a relentless galloper that few can cope with. Whereas lost in translation has more flexibility, can sit off the pace and then challenge when he likes. I have not seen a horse jump like him in that Betfair for a long time. Going other way around on a different track shouldn’t be an issue but I see most his races so far left handed tracks. If Bristol was at peak for that Betfair which he likely was, it was a hell of a performance. Cracking King George renewal. I can see Lostintranslation hopefully sitting 3rd and picking his moment on the home straight to challenge Cyrname, I know the fav has had wind ops and lost needs to find 4lbs on ratings but I think he can do it.

There is an argument around bristol de mai being focused on one last crack at a gold cup... just saying. Albeit i think he missed his chance last time and i am not sure he finishes well.

Looking forward to a great race.

Lostintranslation with me on his back.

Slattsy wrote: »

Soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Mucky, just like yer missus!!

Earendil wrote: »

Referee!

Earendil wrote: »

Wahay :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭del roy

Boxing Day's King George VI Chase at Kempton looks to be a belter with the line-up including last year's winner Clan Des Obeaux, Cheltenham Gold Cup favourite Lostintranslation and Cyrname, the highest-rated horse in training. Some of racing's biggest names weigh in and give their pick for the historic race.

I suspect Cyrname will win because I think it was a very strong race at Ascot against Altior last time. It's a fascinating race and I could see all sorts of outcomes, but I think he's the one and Harry Cobden has gone for him, which is a tip in itself.
    Nicky Henderson

It looks a great race but I would just favour Lostintranslation. I'm a big fan of the horse.
    JP McManus

I think we shouldn’t be underestimating Clan Des Obeaux at the prices. If I had a fiver and was to have a bet in this race then I would be siding with him.
    Evan Williams

It's a fabulous race and I can't wait to be sitting on the sidelines watching it. Barry Fenton and I are massive fans of Lostintranslation – and if Thistlecrack can't win I would love to see Lostintranslation come home in front.
    Emma Lavelle

It’s a tough call and should be a great race but I would go for Cyrname. He’s the highest-rated chaser and it was a great performance on his return to beat Altior at Ascot.
    Connor Brace

I’m a big fan of Lostintranslation and he’s got all the tools to take top ranking in the division. He has a bit of boot, as he showed with his form tied in with Defi Du Seuil last season, and came through a big test in open company at Haydock with flying colours.
    Wayne Hutchinson

I think Cyrname is going to take a lot of beating. He was very impressive when beating Altior at Ascot, for whom I felt there were no excuses. Trip and track will suit him well.
    Kevin O'Ryan

It should be a tremendous race. I have a lot of respect for Cyrname and Lostintranslation but if I had to pick one it would be Footpad. He can travel at any speed and might just have a superior turn of foot if it comes down to that.
    Jamie Moore

It’s an outstanding race and I’m really looking forward to it. Cyrname has been a brilliant horse for his connections over the past couple of seasons and I’d expect him to come out on top.
    Joseph O'Brien

Cyrname was very impressive at Ascot last time and I’d be siding with him.
    Philip Hobbs

I absolutely love Lostintranslation, I can't wait to see what he can do in the King George. I'm not entirely sure he'll be in love with the track but he's got bags of ability and looks every inch a Cheltenham Gold Cup horse.
    Denis Hogan

Cyrname looks the one for me. He ticks all the right boxes and I think he’ll be hard to beat.
    Gavin Cromwell

Lostintranslation is the up-and-coming chaser and a good gallop set by Cyrname should play to his strengths. Clan Des Obeaux is another who should be suited by a strong pace and he had a good prep at Down Royal, but I would side with Lostintranslation. It’s a very interesting race and one I’m looking forward to watching.
    Jonjo O'Neill jnr

I’d go with Clan Des Obeaux. He won it last year and he has been geared around going back to defend his title. Paul is a past master at winning King Georges.
    Harry Fry

I think Lostintranslation has it all. He's got plenty of pace, as he showed against Defi Du Seuil more than once last year, and he's got stamina too, as he showed in the Betfair Chase. He's just a very good horse. I'm not sure Cyrname will stay, and I think Clan Des Obeaux is a bigger danger.
    Tony Ennis

I think it's very hard to get away from Cyrname. It was a very good performance against Altior last time.
    Fergal O'Brien

I'm not sure who will win, but I hope Clan Des Obeaux does as my son Sam rides!
    Nigel Twiston-Davies

It’s a very good, wide open race but the one I would be going with is Lostintranslation. He’s already proved himself to be very good and is a potential star. We know he’ll stay and it was a great performance at Haydock, but you have to respect last year’s winner Clan Des Obeaux and Cyrname, who was fantastic at Ascot.
    Richard Johnson

It’s between the top three in the market for me and the one I really like is Lostintranslation. He might just have the edge and if I could ride one it would be him.
    Will Kennedy

I didn't think there was any chance Harry Cobden was going to get off Cyrname after his awesome display at Ascot and he gets my vote. I'm a huge admirer of Lostintranslation too and fascinated to see how Robbie Power will ride him. It’s set to be a marvellous clash between two young and exceptional steeplechasers.
    David Fitzgerald

It looks to be one of the toughest King Georges ever but I have a feeling that Clan Des Obeaux could be the one. He may have been beaten at Down Royal but this is his preferred track and he looks to be the value in the race. Cyrname was good at Ascot but beat an Altior that looked off colour over a trip that isn't his best.
    Dessie Scahill

I think Lostintranslation is the one. He was a horse I followed last season and really fancied him for the Betfair Chase. He’s a class horse, and you can make a similar argument for Cyrname, but he just about edges it for me.
    Bob Cooper

I'm a big fan of Lostintranslation but I think Cyrname will have too many gears for him. He's such a strong traveller and we've seen two-and-a-half milers win the King George so many times before.
    Donald McCain

FINAL SCORE

Cyrname 9
    Lostintranslation 9
    Clan Des Obeaux 4
    Footpad 1

del roy wrote: »
    Boxing Day's King George VI Chase at Kempton looks to be a belter with the line-up including last year's winner Clan Des Obeaux, Cheltenham Gold Cup favourite Lostintranslation and Cyrname, the highest-rated horse in training. Some of racing's biggest names weigh in and give their pick for the historic race.

I suspect Cyrname will win because I think it was a very strong race at Ascot against Altior last time. It's a fascinating race and I could see all sorts of outcomes, but I think he's the one and Harry Cobden has gone for him, which is a tip in itself.
    Nicky Henderson

It looks a great race but I would just favour Lostintranslation. I'm a big fan of the horse.
    JP McManus

I think we shouldn’t be underestimating Clan Des Obeaux at the prices. If I had a fiver and was to have a bet in this race then I would be siding with him.
    Evan Williams

It's a fabulous race and I can't wait to be sitting on the sidelines watching it. Barry Fenton and I are massive fans of Lostintranslation – and if Thistlecrack can't win I would love to see Lostintranslation come home in front.
    Emma Lavelle

It’s a tough call and should be a great race but I would go for Cyrname. He’s the highest-rated chaser and it was a great performance on his return to beat Altior at Ascot.
    Connor Brace

I’m a big fan of Lostintranslation and he’s got all the tools to take top ranking in the division. He has a bit of boot, as he showed with his form tied in with Defi Du Seuil last season, and came through a big test in open company at Haydock with flying colours.
    Wayne Hutchinson

I think Cyrname is going to take a lot of beating. He was very impressive when beating Altior at Ascot, for whom I felt there were no excuses. Trip and track will suit him well.
    Kevin O'Ryan

It should be a tremendous race. I have a lot of respect for Cyrname and Lostintranslation but if I had to pick one it would be Footpad. He can travel at any speed and might just have a superior turn of foot if it comes down to that.
    Jamie Moore

It’s an outstanding race and I’m really looking forward to it. Cyrname has been a brilliant horse for his connections over the past couple of seasons and I’d expect him to come out on top.
    Joseph O'Brien

Cyrname was very impressive at Ascot last time and I’d be siding with him.
    Philip Hobbs

I absolutely love Lostintranslation, I can't wait to see what he can do in the King George. I'm not entirely sure he'll be in love with the track but he's got bags of ability and looks every inch a Cheltenham Gold Cup horse.
    Denis Hogan

Cyrname looks the one for me. He ticks all the right boxes and I think he’ll be hard to beat.
    Gavin Cromwell

Lostintranslation is the up-and-coming chaser and a good gallop set by Cyrname should play to his strengths. Clan Des Obeaux is another who should be suited by a strong pace and he had a good prep at Down Royal, but I would side with Lostintranslation. It’s a very interesting race and one I’m looking forward to watching.
    Jonjo O'Neill jnr

I’d go with Clan Des Obeaux. He won it last year and he has been geared around going back to defend his title. Paul is a past master at winning King Georges.
    Harry Fry

I think Lostintranslation has it all. He's got plenty of pace, as he showed against Defi Du Seuil more than once last year, and he's got stamina too, as he showed in the Betfair Chase. He's just a very good horse. I'm not sure Cyrname will stay, and I think Clan Des Obeaux is a bigger danger.
    Tony Ennis

I think it's very hard to get away from Cyrname. It was a very good performance against Altior last time.
    Fergal O'Brien

I'm not sure who will win, but I hope Clan Des Obeaux does as my son Sam rides!
    Nigel Twiston-Davies

It’s a very good, wide open race but the one I would be going with is Lostintranslation. He’s already proved himself to be very good and is a potential star. We know he’ll stay and it was a great performance at Haydock, but you have to respect last year’s winner Clan Des Obeaux and Cyrname, who was fantastic at Ascot.
    Richard Johnson

It’s between the top three in the market for me and the one I really like is Lostintranslation. He might just have the edge and if I could ride one it would be him.
    Will Kennedy

I didn't think there was any chance Harry Cobden was going to get off Cyrname after his awesome display at Ascot and he gets my vote. I'm a huge admirer of Lostintranslation too and fascinated to see how Robbie Power will ride him. It’s set to be a marvellous clash between two young and exceptional steeplechasers.
    David Fitzgerald

It looks to be one of the toughest King Georges ever but I have a feeling that Clan Des Obeaux could be the one. He may have been beaten at Down Royal but this is his preferred track and he looks to be the value in the race. Cyrname was good at Ascot but beat an Altior that looked off colour over a trip that isn't his best.
    Dessie Scahill

I think Lostintranslation is the one. He was a horse I followed last season and really fancied him for the Betfair Chase. He’s a class horse, and you can make a similar argument for Cyrname, but he just about edges it for me.
    Bob Cooper

I'm a big fan of Lostintranslation but I think Cyrname will have too many gears for him. He's such a strong traveller and we've seen two-and-a-half milers win the King George so many times before.
    Donald McCain

FINAL SCORE

Cyrname 9
    Lostintranslation 9
    Clan Des Obeaux 4
    Footpad 1

So closely matching the betting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Cannot wait.. Couldn't care less about Christmas day and that, just want Stephen's day to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Cannot wait.. Couldn't care less about Christmas day and that, just want Stephen's day to come

Same. Trying not to let on to my 10 & 6 year olds know that though.

“What do you want off Santa daddy!”

“A 24 hour fast forward love!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

I think Footpad is flying under the radar here. If he can get back to his Arkle form he should be there or thereabouts. It's a big if though

piplip87 wrote: »
    I think Footpad is flying under the radar here. If he can get back to his Arkle form he should be there or thereabouts. It's a big if though

Worst. Cheltenham. Grade 1. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Worst. Cheltenham. Grade 1. Ever.

Did you see last year's renewal 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭del roy

Ladbrokes King George VI Chase (Grade 1) | 3m, 4yo+ | ITV/RTV

Nobody knows better than Paul Nicholls what a Ladbrokes King George VI Chase winner looks like. When he looks at Clan Des Obeaux he sees one. He sounds equally convinced that when his eyes meet Cyrname he sees another.

When Clan Des Obeaux lined up at Kempton's three-mile start 12 months ago his trainer had already won the winter classic on a record nine occasions, five of them with the immortal Kauto Star.

When the young star who supplied Nicholls' tenth King George returned home to Ditcheat, another French-bred chaser, born only one day earlier, was almost certainly still hanging his head in shame. Cyrname had not long finished a 15-length seventh off a mark of just 150 in an Ascot handicap chase. A few weeks later he returned to Ascot, the hood came off and the real Cyrname was revealed. The real Cyrname, it turned out, was, and still is, the finest jumper in Britain or Ireland.

Cyrname is so good that Harry Cobden has passed Clan Des Obeaux on to Sam Twiston-Davies, allowing him to maintain his partnership with a former four-legged hooligan who in three consecutive outings has looked exceptional at the royal racecourse.

His 17-length front-running success in the 2019 Ascot Chase was the season's standout performance, one that placed him above Altior in the official ratings. If that represented a theoretical supremacy, an all-too-real pecking order was established when Cyrname galloped Altior into a state of exhaustion last month.

The complication is that was over two miles and five furlongs. Cyrname has never raced over a longer distance, nor had he ever looked a colossus until his Ascot winning streak began. Not only must he now show he is more than a one-track pony – one who has admittedly already won twice at Kempton – he must also prove his exuberance can be stretched further than ever before.

"Harry thinks he's the one to beat and so do I," said Nicholls.

"The only thing he hasn't done is win over three miles, but I don't think that is a problem because I see him as a stayer. It's definitely not like when we ran Azertyuiop in the King George and had to try to ride him to get the trip.

"I watched all Cyrname's races on Sunday night and when he was second in the Scilly Isles at Sandown all he did was stay on up the hill. The best way I can put it is that, to me, he's as much a stayer as Clan Des Obeaux. I wouldn't even have it in my mind that he won't stay – because he will stay."

Sir Anthony McCoy agrees Cyrname will stay, but has encouraged Cobden to be bold. "Harry shouldn't be thinking of taking his time, minding the horse or giving him a breather," said McCoy. "Cyrname can breathe when he goes back to Ditcheat."

When he does go back he will return to the place where a King George plan was hatched many months ago.

"We weren't just targeting the Ascot race and trying to beat Altior," said Nicholls. "His whole season has been geared around the King George. Ascot was always his prep for Kempton.

"He was fit enough to win last time but he is bound to improve for that run. All I've been thinking about for Cyrname is the King George, partly because I can't see him being a Gold Cup horse, at least not this season. I'd be surprised if we even thought about it."

He will think about it for Clan Des Obeaux, who finished fifth in Al Boum Photo's Gold Cup and returned with an encouraging second behind Road To Respect at Down Royal.

"There's a lot in his favour and he won't be far away," said Nicholls.

"Clan is last year's winner and has also always been slightly better going right-handed. He's definitely improved physically for being seven and has also improved for the Down Royal race. His improvement from Haydock to Kempton last year was huge and I expect the same improvement again."

As for what he expects to see come flagfall, the King George king added: "There really isn't a lot in it between our two, so it was a difficult call for Harry.

"I'm in a lovely position to have two horses who have been aimed for this race and got there. They are quite similar horses as well, in that three miles around Kempton is probably ideal for both of them."

We know for sure it is ideal for Clan Des Obeaux. Now is the time for Cyrname to prove his record-breaking trainer right.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Thistlecrack out with a bruised foot. What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

If i had money to burn i would back that filthy ew of Aso top 4 out of 5 at 16/1 with the betfair extra place thing. Watch him come dead last now ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

madmoose wrote: »
    If i had money to burn i would back that filthy ew of Aso top 4 out of 5 at 16/1 with the betfair extra place thing. Watch him come dead last now ha!

Cant go right handed imo.

• Advertisement

madmoose wrote: »

Nothing wrong with the trainer form, she is killing it. Aso probably not good enough, but …

https://www.irishracing.com/trainer?name=Miss-Venetia-Williams&prt=4201

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Footpad to pick them off one by one. The pace at the front will be very fast and I can see them tiring

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Footpad to pick them off one by one. The pace at the front will be very fast and I can see them tiring

Honestly cannot see him troubling the top 3 in market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Riquelme

Shame about Thistlecrack although maybe the stars will align and he'll go the Stayers route in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

That was impressive! Shows you that December in Kempton ain't March ay Cheltenham. Kemboi, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Itziger wrote: »
    That was impressive! Shows you that December in Kempton ain't March ay Cheltenham. Kemboi, anyone?

Santini for the Gold Cup for me, although I wouldnt be writing Lostintranslation off. Obviously hated the track.

n
    Itziger wrote: »

The stress of carrying the hopes of 2,000 owners might be too much :pac:

Up against Percy should be good race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

I wouldn't be slating Cyrname but 'top-rated horse in the country' ??? At 2 and 1/2 miles at Ascot, yes.

A slightly strange race with Cyrname not his usual bouncy self, LiT taking ages to get stoked up and not happy at any stage really. Footpad ran a good race but couln't get past an exhausted second...... Faugheen's to lose!!!!!!!!!! (Haven't seen the machine's race yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Still really fancy LIT for the GC if he's come away from that fence relatively unscathed. Was creeping into it despite not liking the track.

If Cryname wins this I'll stand outside the GPO naked on the 27th

Praise the Lord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Fair play clan . Lostinkempton more like..

Advertisement