Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking Error

• 11-12-2019 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Today there was an amount of cash credited to my bank a/c. I contacted AIB who said it was no error and that the source was from Dept of Social Protection. I contacted the local office and they claim the money is not from them and told me deal with the bank. I contacted AIB again and got the same response, contact the DSP. Whats my next move? I'm aware it's not mine to spend!

Comments

Today there was an amount of cash credited to my bank a/c. I contacted AIB who said it was no error and that the source was from Dept of Social Protection. I contacted the local office and they claim the money is not from them and told me deal with the bank. I contacted AIB again and got the same response, contact the DSP. Whats my next move? I'm aware it's not mine to spend!

Leave it there. Some body will come look for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Timfy

If you are on JSA / JSB I believe that this week is the week for a bonus payment... not positive but worth checking if the amount paid in tallies.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I'm aware it's not mine to spend!

Get written confirmation from the bank that is not an error... then it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It could be from a different department in the DSP. Either way, nothing to worry about. It's not for you to chase up. Leave the money in the account and someone will look for it eventually (it could take 3 weeks by the time the person waiting on the cash gets the runaround from their bank and the DSP)

Small chance but be careful it's not actually a scam. If a third party asks you to transfer the money back to their account, just ignore it. Wait until your bank asks for permission to debit your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,135 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Timfy wrote: »
    If you are on JSA / JSB I believe that this week is the week for a bonus payment... not positive but worth checking if the amount paid in tallies.

Neither goes in to a bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Whats my next move? I'm aware it's not mine to spend!
    Wrong. That just means the bank didn't make an error. If the person sending the money did so in error, then the recipient is not entitled to it, and will need to return it when it is requested

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There was an article in the Guardian recently about a man that was waiting for his inheritance from a solicitor, when it didn't come he checked the details he gave them and although the account number was correct, the sort code was slightly wrong. It seems there was a person with the same account number at another branch of the bank and the funds were deposited in their account. They refused to give it back, and the man had no course of action because it was his error and not the banks.

So, I would hang on to the money and wait for the person to request it back.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/dec/07/i-lost-my-193000-inheritance-with-one-wrong-digit-on-my-sort-code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Jim2007 wrote: »

Not true, all that will tell you is that the error was not on the part of the bank, the sender of the funds may have made the error, and DSP have means to recover funds that "normal" people don't have.
    Lux23 wrote: »

Best advice. And document your efforts to resolve the issue, a print out of this thread might be handy.

Lux23 wrote: »
    There was an article in the Guardian recently about a man that was waiting for his inheritance from a solicitor, when it didn't come he checked the details he gave them and although the account number was correct, the sort code was slightly wrong. It seems there was a person with the same account number at another branch of the bank and the funds were deposited in their account. They refused to give it back, and the man had no course of action because it was his error and not the banks.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/dec/07/i-lost-my-193000-inheritance-with-one-wrong-digit-on-my-sort-code
    The bit in bold is a bit misleading (as is the headline). To be clear, he got all of his money back.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

It's obviously not AIB's error that they received a payment instruction from DSP to credit your account but you should be able to request to AIB that on your behalf they return the payment to the originating DSP IBAN

Ohmeha wrote: »
    It's obviously not AIB's error that they received a payment instruction from DSP to credit your account but you should be able to request to AIB that on your behalf they return the payment to the originating DSP IBAN
    AIB won't be authorised to provide that information. Also, there's no guarantee that the money actually came from an account, or if it did, that the account is capable of receiving transactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

28064212 wrote: »
    AIB won't be authorised to provide that information. Also, there's no guarantee that the money actually came from an account, or if it did, that the account is capable of receiving transactions
    AIB do not have to disclose the DSP IBAN, simply a request is submitted by the OP to have a credit they cannot apply to be returned, whether AIB will play ball I cannot confirm. All banking transfers originate from an actual account

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

28064212 wrote: »
    Wrong. That just means the bank didn't make an error. If the person sending the money did so in error, then the recipient is not entitled to it, and will need to return it when it is requested

Right, base on actual experience of doing it during the bank strike in 1976 and defending it for a client. After the strike client was credited 20k, advised the bank 3 times, they were adamant that it was correct and put in writing. When 107 days later they discovered their error, no chance of recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Timfy

Mine does (X & Os)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Today I received a letter from the bank about the error. Thank god I didn't spend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Today I received a letter from the bank about the error. Thank god I didn't spend it

Thanks for the update, Are you able to give details about the "error"

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

The letter said an amount was credited to my account in error and there was no need for me to do anything because it would be handled by the DSP and they would contact me in the new year to recover the money. The letter was dated 19/12 but only delivered yesterday. No other details were given so I'm not sure if the fault was the banks or the DSP

Advertisement