Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, something, something

Options
  • 11-12-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Apologies for the first long winded post.

Been meaning to start one of these for a long time. No time like the present.

Background
    Male, just turned 30, been running since March 18.
    Started out just to get fit, then started going to Parkrun, gradually got hooked on beating myself and did a few 5ks.

Also did DCM18 - had signed up before I started running and knew going in I wasn't in any shape to do it but made my way around in intervals in 4:47:xx.

Decided 2019 was going to be my year and signed up for DCM19 as well as the the 10 mile and Half marathon in the race series amongst a couple of 10km races.

During the year I'd run more than ever before, however not as consistently as I would have hoped. During the year, I got married, went on honeymoon and bought a house so I'm not complaining :p

The 10mile and HM didn't go well.

Went in to DCM following the Novice plan with a revised goal of 4:30 (originally was sub 4). Everything was going well until mile 18 when my calf started pulling at me. I hobbled the rest of the way around, finishing in 4:50:xx. Annoying as my fitness was way ahead of where I was in 2018 but I definitely wasn't as prepared as I could have been.

PBs to date:

5k – 23:34 – March 23rd '19(Parkrun)
    5mile – 38:48 –May 12th '19(Terenure 5 mile)
    10k – 49:25 – April 14th '19(Great Ireland Run)
    10mile – 1:43:27 – 24th August '19(Frank Duffy 10 Mile)
    HM – 2:20:05 – 21st September '19(Dublin Half)
    Marathon – 4:47:xx – '18(DCM 2018)

Plans
    Firstly, beginning in the new year, I'll be joining a local running club as I often lack motivation to get out on my own especially in the bad weather.

I'd like to get my shorter distances back to where they were in the first half of the year, however this may have to be a secondary goal.

As a birthday present, I received entries (and holidays) to the Barcelona and Paris Marathons in March and April. I've also entered DCM for the 3rd year running.
    I'd love to be looking at a Sub 4 hour marathon, however I'm not sure if I should set that goal for DCM 2020 and set a more reasonable goal for Barcelona (4:20/4:30?). Advice welcomed.

I might look at a couple shorter distance races around Feb/March also.

Setting this log up to keep myself honest (and motivated) as I love nothing more than telling someone I've just gone for a run, straight after running. :D

Cheers for reading if you made it this far! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the log. Some big races ahead next year!

I'm sure I wrecked your head with the "slow down" advice in the novices thread, but, if at first you don't succeed...... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log. Some big races ahead next year!

I'm sure I wrecked your head with the "slow down" advice in the novices thread, but, if at first you don't succeed...... :pac:

Thanks Mr. G, I found the advice great but difficult to adhere to. Ultimately a busy year and probably pushing too hard was my downfall but you live and you learn!

Back running a week or two and training for Barcelona from Monday just gone.

Training loosely following the 4hr plan on the Barcelona Marathon website.
    Plan is in KMs and switched to miles last summer so spent some time converting the plan back to miles :P
    The plan calls out running for a specific period of time a specific pace so fir the first couple of sessions, I focused on running for the time specified.

Monday 9th Dec - 30 mins - 3.23 miles.
    Faster than the plan but haven't been running much so wanted to stretch the legs a bit. Felt good. First run since DCM where my legs weren't in bits immediately after.

Wednesday 11th Dec - 50 mins - 5.35 miles.
    Very cold one. Breathing struggled to begin with. Again, faster than the plan but felt good. Getting the grá back since DCM.

Going to print off some of Mr G's posts about slowing down and put them up around the house as a reminder. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Back running a week or two and training for Barcelona from Monday just gone.

Training loosely following the 4hr plan on the Barcelona Marathon website.
    Plan is in KMs and switched to miles last summer so spent some time converting the plan back to miles :P
    The plan calls out running for a specific period of time a specific pace so fir the first couple of sessions, I focused on running for the time specified.

Monday 9th Dec - 30 mins - 3.23 miles.
    Faster than the plan but haven't been running much so wanted to stretch the legs a bit. Felt good. First run since DCM where my legs weren't in bits immediately after.

Wednesday 11th Dec - 50 mins - 5.35 miles.
    Very cold one. Breathing struggled to begin with. Again, faster than the plan but felt good. Getting the grá back since DCM.

Going to print off some of Mr G's posts about slowing down and put them up around the house as a reminder. :p

Just be careful about training based on an aspirational time goal; training should always be to current fitness.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Just be careful about training based on an aspirational time goal; training should always be to current fitness.

Thanks Huzzah! My base fitness is still there. Did the above training and felt I had plenty more in the tank. Obviously as the sessions get tougher I'll have a better idea of where I am in relation to my goal/training and can adjust it accordingly.

• Advertisement

Busy end to the week/weekend.

Friday's planned run was pushed back to Saturday.
    6.32mi @ 9:29min/mile
    Fairly comfortable for the most part.
    The cold weather is the worst part of it but grand once I get going.

Sunday's planned long run pushed back to Monday evening.
    The plan had this starting off easy and had 30 minutes faster.
    Was apprehensive looking at the planned faster paces so slowed them slightly to begin. Really wanted to test my fitness and how I'd cope with picking the speed up.

7.27mi @ 9:38min/mile
    Miles 1-4 @ ~10min/mile
    Mile 5 @ 9:23min/mile
    Mile 6 @ 9:02min/mile
    Mile 7 @ 8:56min/mile
    Mile 0.27 @ 9:00min/mile

This was an important run for me as I had no idea how my body would cope with the faster miles.

I felt like I was relatively in control from mile 5 onward. Definitely pushing it towards the end but delighted with it.

Looking to book some races in preparation for Barcelona so will be looking for a half around mid February and a 10k around late January if anyone has any suggestions.

Another busy week/weekend running where I can fit it in.

Wednesday 1hr. Planned pace - comfortable (9:40min/mile)

Was going to skip this run as the weather was terrible (mainly windy) but had to get out.

The pace matched the planned pace but it felt much tougher in the conditions but glad to get it done. Nice couple of whiskeys to warm me up when I got back :P

Saturday (1) 65 mins. Planned pace - comfortable (9:40min/mile)

This comfortable run felt much more comfortable than Wednesday's.
    Lovely morning for it, got out just before it started to brighten up.

Saturday (2) Parkrun with the cousin

My cousin hd been toying with the idea of going to Parkrun, so said I'd go down with him just to get him going. Nice run and chat all the way around. 31 mins.

Have every intention of keeping the training going over Christmas but we'll see how it goes. :P

First post in a couple of weeks. Got out a couple of times over the break but not as much as planned.

We fostered a dog for a couple of weeks over the festive period so that was more of an interruption than Christmas itself. :P:).

Since my last post:

Tuesday (24/12) 30 minutes (8:47min/mile)

Loads planned for the day so managed to squeeze in a quick run at a quicker pace.

Tuesday (31/12) 5 miles (8:59min/mile)

Another run as I had a free hour. :P

Said I'd do 5 miles and target 9min/mile

Sunday (05/01) 80 mins

Decided I'd jump straight back in to the plan. Modified slightly to get back into the swing of things.

Plann called for 95 mins.
    50 mins at 10min/mile
    25 mins at 9:20min/mile
    10 mins at 8:50min/mile
    10 mins at 10min/mile

Went out to do 45, 20, 10 and 5 instead.
    45 mins was definitely quicker than on the plan but I felt great at the end of it.
    Felt very much in control at 9:20 and was felt ok at 8:50.

Post-run I felt fantastic.

Delighted as I was unsure what damage had been done over Christmas.

:)

Disappointing week running wise.

Tuesday (07/01) 50 minutes (9:19min/mile)

Comfortable Tuesday run

Thursday (09/01) Interval session (6.40 miles)

20 min warm up. 3 x 8 min (8:52min/mile) w/ 3 min recovery. 10 min cool down.

Really enjoyed this session. Enjoyed stretching the legs out in the intervals.

Weekend
    Woke up to head out Saturday morning and my back was in a fair bit of pain so missed it and Sunday's long run too. :(

Good week running this week. All planned runs completed.

Tuesday (14/01) 40 minutes (9:53min/mile). 4.05 miles

On the plan this was a recovery following the LSR (which I missed) so stuck to it to ease back into after a bit of a niggle over the weekend.

Thursday (16/01) Interval session. 5.65 miles

Had to change this around slightly due to time constraints. 15 min warm up. 5 x 5 min (8:30min/mile) w/ 3 min recovery.

Nice session. Was worried beforehand I wouldn't be able for the pace but felt ok for most of it. Struggled towards the end of the last.

Saturday (18/01) 45 minutes (9:27min/mile). 4.76miles

Bitterly cold on Saturday morning but forced myself out after bringing the dog for a walk.

Sunday (19/01) LSR 60 minutes @ 9:55min/mile, 30 mins @ 9:15min/mile, 15 mins @ 8:52min/mile. 11.17 miles

Looked at this run and was hesitant about the faster intervals but thoroughly enjoyed it. Felt like I had plenty left in the tank at the end.

Total for the week: 25.63 miles

55 days to Barcelona!

**Also followed the Houston Marathon to see how Stephen Scullion got on. Top 5 finish guarantees him an entry for Tokyo 2020. Delighted for him. Would recommend his podcast: Stephen Scullion's Road to Tokyo 2020

• Advertisement

Short week running this week.
    The plan called for a 10k race on Sunday but was never going to fit it in so said I'd do 10k on my own at some point during the day.

Tuesday (21/01) 40 minutes (9:21min/mile). 4.28 miles

Head was wrecked after a long day in work so felt myself "running angry" :D
    Planned pace was half a minute slower than what I ended up doing. Head felt much clearer after :D

Friday (24/01) Planned 40 minutes (10min/mile)

Couldn't fit this run in with stuff going on around me. Was tempted to try fit it in Saturday but said I'd leave it as I wanted to be fresh for Sunday

Sunday (26/01) 10k "race" in 55mins (8:51min/mile)

Easy 10 minute warm up.
    Decided I'd run the majority of this down in the park. Route with some hills that I enjoy for training runs.

Splits:
    Mile 1: 8:21
    Mile 2: 8:46
    Mile 3: 8:37
    Mile 4: 8:28
    Mile 5: 8:49
    Mile 6: 8:34
    Mile 6.23: 1:52

Total: 53:29

I found it strange trying to keep up "race intensity" while running on my own but managed to keep it for the most part after maybe going out too fast in the first mile.

Definitely need to try sign up for more races.

Quickest 10k since April and first 5k is my quickest since October.

Total: 10:28 miles
    Low mileage but a nice milestone hit on the Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Really tough to do a 10k race when not a race, more of a time trial. You can bet that you'd have run a lot lot faster in race conditions, even if you thought you were running at race intensity for that run. Well done on doing it though, it will help you mentally

Treviso wrote: »
    Really tough to do a 10k race when not a race, more of a time trial. You can bet that you'd have run a lot lot faster in race conditions, even if you thought you were running at race intensity for that run. Well done on doing it though, it will help you mentally

Yeah that's what it was really. My best 10k time was just under 50 minutes in the Great Ireland Run in April but I'm nowhere near that level at the moment. Although you're right in saying I may have been able to cut some time off it in an actual race.

Advertisement