Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Brilliant tactical move by Klopp - he knows he'll get a lot of stick for his stance and bringing this to the fore. However the ones who are saying he is disrespecting the FA cup will be the first ones saying it's a great move when replays are abolished in coming yrs due to this furore instigated by the great mind of Jurgen Norbert Klopp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Well one thing Liverpool have shown this season is that there is no communication between the PL, EFL, The FA & the clubs when it comes to fixtures.

But Newcastle, Spurs or Southampton will not be playing youth sides managed by a different group of coaches for spite. The League cup the sides hands were tied as we had a game the day after in another continent that was known 5 months prior. It was no great mystery that the replays are on around 10 days after the first game.
    Unless Klopp plans on playing these lads in the league once its mathematically over I don't see what he is resting players who barely played the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When we win out first league title in 30 years in the next two months I for one won't be giving two fcuks about an FA Cup replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

SlickRic wrote: »
    i don't buy it, sorry.

i get that our priorities are with others competitions.
    i get that Klopp has a disdain for the domestic cups.

but sorry, and this is relevant, he is paid wages 99% of the world could only dream of in order to manage this club, and the first team, in whatever competitions the club is obliged to be in. his team failed yesterday, and there's nowhere to put the replay other than during these 2 weeks. i, like Klopp, believe it should go probably go straight to penalties on the day, but you know what, I also understand that Shrewsbury now have a brilliant away tie that will make their club an, i'm sure, much needed, 7 figures. so i also see the side of having a replay.

it's unfortunate, but Klopp doesn't get to decide there shouldn't be replays.

the issue he, and Pep, have is player welfare. i'm totally on board with that. i totally agree with that. but Klopp is not a player. he gets plenty of time off at the end of the season. there are plenty of international breaks for him to give himself a few days with the family at various points during the year.

most people in the real world work 40+ hours per week and get 20-30 days off.

take the first team out of the replay, 100%. i have no issue with that.

but IMO, he should be there. he doesn't get to make the rules, no matter how stupid he might think they are, and what he was 'promised' by the FA.

I don't know what rule he is breaking (or making) by taking a scheduled holiday with his missus. I don't know what rule he is breaking, bending or making by allowing junior playing staff compete in the FA Cup. Please enlighten me on these rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Lads I want the treble and am not one bit impressed with this stance. Play the same lads who under-preformed yesterday. Let everybody else off on there holiers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lads I want the treble and am not one bit impressed with this stance. Play the same lads who under-preformed yesterday. Let everybody else off on there holiers

I keep saying it but Shaq , Lallana , Keita have less than 15 Prem starts between them why in the world do they need a break ?

Then Matip, Lovern, Milner, Adrian,Origi , Fabhino , Minamino need a game for match sharpness , What if we pick up injuries in our next couple of games a need any of these lads to start the Champions league game,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

What if we pick up injuries in our next couple of games a need any of these lads to start the Champions league game,

What if they play the FA cup tie and get injured doing so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

What if they play the FA cup tie and get injured doing so?

I think some of us would have to form a breakaway club and start supporting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Is anyone showing the West Ham game on Wednesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I keep saying it but Shaq , Lallana , Keita have less than 15 Prem starts between them why in the world do they need a break ?

Then Matip, Lovern, Milner, Adrian,Origi , Fabhino , Minamino need a game for match sharpness , What if we pick up injuries in our next couple of games a need any of these lads to start the Champions league game,

Because when they play, they break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

The team that beat Everton is capable of beating Shrewsbury at home. The best thing for us to do is win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Klopp is obviously making a point. And he is right. He has raised the flag on the schedule many times, then the league institute's a break...and then a game gets scheduled during the break! Crazy stuff. He's dead right.

we are down to play Tuesday why not just give the lads involved an extra 2 days off ,

So instead of coming back on Monday they come back Wednesday , all guys who likely won't start v Norwich ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I will be at my house but you're not invited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Very few times will a club get into a position where they can realistically go for all three. Just seems like a waste not taking it semi serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No UK or Irish channel is showing it. If you happen to be taking a flight to USA before then NBC Sports are showing it.

Also Southampton game this coming Saturday will be on Premier Sports Ireland at 3pm if you make it back on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Meh, I don't give a flying **** about it. I'm not really sure why anyone's all that arsed about it. Klopp wants to prioritise the league (obviously) and the CL. The manager of the U23s will be there because, well, he's their manager and Klopp isn't. He's been forced to field the U23s because the PL have told him not to arrange competitive matches during the period when the replay is due to be played. What's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You were never getting the treble. He’ll be playing a lineup like this in Wembley in the semi final. What he’s willing to play isn’t good enough to win the competition so it never mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

KevRossi wrote: »

Further to this, the cup has less status in Germany than here. They even have the womens final on before the mens final on the same pitch on the same day. So that's why he's doing it.

Would completely disagree with this, they only have one cup and it is much more respected than both the FA and carabao. It would be rare you would see a german club play a 2nd string team nevermind the U23s. Klopp's issue is the lack of the winter break. I would think if the premier league scrapped the carabao and had a similar winter break to Germany, it would be a different story.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You were never getting the treble. He’ll be playing a lineup like this in Wembley in the semi final. What he’s willing to play isn’t good enough to win the competition so it never mattered.

I'm staying away from here if we're beaten 8-0 at the Eithiad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm staying away from here if we're beaten 8-0 at the Eithiad.

Well we were beaten 5 - 0 in Villa Park and it didn’t matter a jot.

Well we were beaten 4 - 0 in Villa Park and it didn’t matter a jot.

Mattered enough to mentally block out the final score :p

I thought Villa beat us 4-0 as well. To be fair I'm not even sure what that competition is called this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

murpho999 wrote: »
    I fail to see how his decision not to go to the game is not managing the club and the first team.

That's exactly what he's doing by withdrawing the lads. He's managing the first team.

Also, in relation to holidays and money. Yes they're well paid but there's no time off all season and it's a 7 days a week job for a manager so I think he and his players deserve the break.

Mrs.Klopp has given us Jurgen for an extra three years further than planned so I dont begrudge them a weeks holiday in the sun.

His work is really intense, barely a few days between games for much of the last few months. He deserves a break to recharge his batteries for the title run in and CL quarters. He might not be a player but management is mentally taxing when you've to make hundreds of decisions related to all aspects of the game. I wont care less when the tabloids publish pictures of him on the beach so long as he delivers our first title in 30 years when he gets back.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mrs.Klopp has given us Jurgen for an extra three years further than planned so I dont begrudge them a weeks holiday in the sun.

His work is really intense, barely a few days between games for much of the last few months. He deserves a break to recharge his batteries for the title run in and CL quarters. He might not be a player but management is mentally taxing when you've to make hundreds of decisions related to all aspects of the game. I wont care less when the tabloids publish pictures of him on the beach so long as he delivers our first title in 30 years when he gets back.

But but but he doesn't run the KM's per game ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

we are down to play Tuesday why not just give the lads involved an extra 2 days off ,

So instead of coming back on Monday they come back Wednesday , all guys who likely won't start v Norwich ,

You do have a good point and I understand your logic.

On paper he could field for example

GK: Lonergan
    BL: Williams Matip Lovren Larouci
    MF: Keita Fabinho Milner
    FL: Shaqiri Origi Minamino

Bench of: Kelleher, Lallana, Jones, Elliot, Hoever, Chirivella

But I think Klopp's position is he wants to treat the first team squad all the same so they all get the time off together. Even though it's obvious there are certain starters when everyone is fit he still wants to treat them all equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

dogbert27 wrote: »
    But I think Klopp's position is he wants to treat the first team squad all the same so they all get the time off together. Even though it's obvious there are certain starters when everyone is fit he still wants to treat them all equally.

Yeah it's the same reason he sent literally the entire first team to Qatar when realistically he could've left some back at Melwood to play against Villa, sure that'd give us a better chance of winning that game but I can't imagine it's good for squad morale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

murpho999 wrote: »
    I fail to see how his decision not to go to the game is not managing the club and the first team.

That's exactly what he's doing by withdrawing the lads. He's managing the first team.

Also, in relation to holidays and money. Yes they're well paid but there's no time off all season and it's a 7 days a week job for a manager so I think he and his players deserve the break.

Exactly.

Pro active management, not just passively going along with the normal and ignoring what he thinks is best for the people he is tasked with looking after.

However, I think people would accept the decision better if he still managed the game himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

But but but he doesn't run the KM's per game ;)

For somebody who has me blocked you sure love bringing up posts I make.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    You do have a good point and I understand your logic.

On paper he could field for example

GK: Lonergan
    BL: Williams Matip Lovren Larouci
    MF: Keita Fabinho Milner
    FL: Shaqiri Origi Minamino

Bench of: Kelleher, Lallana, Jones, Elliot, Hoever, Chirivella

Surely lads who are coming back form injury are professional enough to realise they need a game,

Lets be realistic guys coming back searching for sharpness are hardly going to be told to take a weeks Holiday? That will set them back quite a bit in terms of getting fit again ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

For somebody who has me blocked you sure love bringing up posts I make.

Let me quote that for you so the poster can read it for you or maybe just PM the poster since no one else is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Klopp is obviously making a point. And he is right. He has raised the flag on the schedule many times, then the league institute's a break...and then a game gets scheduled during the break! Crazy stuff. He's dead right.

Meh, hes hardly the first to moan about schedules. Fergie was doing it 20 years ago.

Squads nowadays are big enough to cope. If clubs cant rotate and win games then they need better back up players.

EDIT. I'll manage the team for £10,000 for the week if they want. I'll even double up to save money and play aswell.:)

Shrewsbury manager Sam Ricketts gets it and understands it.
    “I fully understand Liverpool’s position, they are fighting on all fronts for trophies and every three days they are there to get shot at,” he said.

“This was our cup final and we will have another one at Anfield, whereas for Liverpool it is just another day.

“I understand that point of view. They are fighting for the Premier League, fighting for the Champions League and at some point those players need a rest.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shrewsbury-boss-sympathises-liverpools-jurgen-17638756

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Shrewsbury manager Sam Ricketts gets it and understands it.

You can be sure he's going to be all Dean Smith about it if he wins he'll say he beat the European Champions.

ERG89 wrote: »
    You can be sure he's going to be all Dean Smith about it if he wins he'll say he beat the European Champions.

It's the highlight of Villa's season and it will be the highlight of Shrewsbury's season let them shout it from the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

ERG89 wrote: »

They'd be right to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

He's a Liverpool fan too so not exactly impartial!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Obviously Klopp doesn't actually give a ****e about getting a holiday.

What this seems to be is tantamount to an ultimatum to the FA and the PL to stop ****ing around with fixtures and start taking player welfare seriously.

Even if you look at the arguments being made in favour of replays and the like, it's all down to money. Klopp is saying **** this noise, it's a total sham, and he's sick, after however of many years of having gone on about it, that they're still dragging their heels over it.

This is the kind of thing, where you have basically the biggest name in the league at this point, telling the powers that be to **** off, where you might actually imagine some movement.

I think there'll be some push back from the FA on this, because they need to be seen to maintain the integrity of their competitions, but you could see it being quietly followed by acquiescing to Klopp's demands.

And if Klopp got a ban for that, and they did what he wanted, he'd call that a fair trade, I suspect.

Klopp has, as with most things as far as I'm concerned, full latitude to do as he sees fit here. I trust his judgement to a near religious level at this point.

The push back by the FA will be a huge fine and suspension from next seasons FA Cup.

Everyone wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Looks like God is coming out of retirement to captain the team against Shrewsbury

https://socceronsunday.com/article/robbie-fowler-to-captain-legends-xi-in-shrewsbury-replay/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

48 hours from a game that could see us go 19 points clear in the league and Klopp has everyone talking about a replay with Shrewsbury.

The man is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Accrington Stanley Chairman not happy.

In a series of posts on Twitter, he wrote: “He’s a disgrace. I’ll never understand why top clubs and top @premierleague players don’t stand up and stay united with clubs and players further down the pyramid. This is pure selfishness of the highest degree. I’d drag myself out of bed to play the replay. Because it’s the right thing to do.

“I wouldn’t give a **** how tired I was. I’d do the right thing. I’d give a bit back instead of being a grasping, selfish type. We spoke about the @EmiratesFACup and how top @premierleague
    would rather be playing exhibition matches in China building their profits and brands.

“That’s why @FA were considering significantly increasing the first prizes far more than the earlier rounds proportionately. We have only just given up 5th round replays…. They’re back for 4th round replays… They join in the 3rd.

“Jurgen LFC, you’re embarrassing yourself. Your tarnishing your reputation. Rethink where you go from here. You’re killing @EmiratesFACup. There’s calls to kill @Carabao_Cup You’re killing us.”

The under 23's have Chelsea away if the get past Shrewsbury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Would people seriously be happier for some reason if Klopp just stood on the sidelines next to Neil Critchley as a pointless act of saving face, while Critchley did all the actual coaching anyway because, you know, he actually fcuking knows the players who will be playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I see we are ruining football again.

Club is a disgrace.

• Advertisement

It's always worse when Liverpool are doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The under 23's have Chelsea away if the get past Shrewsbury.

you need to give them their full title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Won’t matter. And this doesn’t matter, none of it, because if we drew City away he’d play the same type of lineup as yesterday. He doesn’t give a fiddler about the domestic cups and neither should any of us.

I don't think most peoples issue is about the FA Cup itself though - I know my own issue anyway is that we're actively spurning an opportunity to give some lads a game who desperately need it. Matip and Lovren especially demonstrably need games to get up to speed, and Lallana always needs games to keep ticking over. Keita is only just coming back, Shaqiri is only just coming back, Minamino is well off the pace physically so far - i'd much rather they all stretch their legs in a competitive game which ultimately doesn't effect our season, over having to come into the first team cold when things really matter.

On the Cup itself, I'd like us to go as far as we physically can without ever playing our first 11. It can only be good for the kids and the fringe players. I mean, these are literally the only games Adrian will play for the rest of the season.

IMO the competitive gametime the cup offers our backups is more important than the cup itself.

Frank Lampard's Chelsea it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Shrewsbury Town f.c.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement