Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If any of our top guys think the grass is greener elsewhere just point to Phil..what has become of him, Gini might want to play more of the big games by leaving,but if we are playing them,and he goes,odds are he's not on the team facing us so why leave.. hendo has 4 years left easy..most of the squad have 4+ years of top footy left ..the senior lads..

Why risk a move to a team not as good,when you could be part of a dynasty here..

If you left you could become like Phil,or worse, unwanted..in limbo..

Big risk imo.. for mo,mane,bobby..no need to leave,we are at the very top of world football teams now..a move is stepping away from that. Be silly imo.

Could change in a season or two,but not anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ricero wrote: »
    Kompany was a massive massive loss to that city team.

He probably wouldn't of started every game for them, but his leadership skills on and off the pitch is priceless.

Not even all the oil money in the world can buy that.

I think Laporte was a bigger loss. When he got injured, Fernandinho had to move back and was missed in his normal lynchpin/midfield spoiler role. Stones and Otamendi are a liability there, I don't know why they didn't bring in a defender as those 2 can't be rated internally as they have been constantly rotated for form reasons, not fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If any of our top guys think the grass is greener elsewhere just point to Phil..what has become of him, Gini might want to play more of the big games by leaving,but if we are playing them,and he goes,odds are he's not on the team facing us so why leave.. hendo has 4 years left easy..most of the squad have 4+ years of top footy left ..the senior lads..

Why risk a move to a team not as good,when you could be part of a dynasty here..

Big risk imo.. for mo,mane,bobby..no need to leave,we are at the very top of world football teams now..a move is stepping away from that. Be silly imo.

Emre Can is also getting sold to Dortmund where, according to their fans, he'll be playing CB, which is exactly what he didn't want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

To be fair De Jong & Griezmann don't look good at Barca either, if they were to swap circumstances with 2 of our best players for instance I bet Klopp would improve them in 6 months and the players who go to Barca would turn to mulch. It seems if you aren't Messi or his mate you don't do well there as unlike Pep they are still chasing their styles of the past. I can't remember the last player who went to Barca and improved.

As far as being unwanted Can as I said when he left wasn't consistent enough to play regularly for a top side, I don't think anyone will pay the €30m that Juventus want for him either. He'd be MOTM one week and 2 games later dropped to the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Elliott will be 17 in April and needs 4 more 1 minute appearances before the end of the season to become the youngest PL winner ever taking it away from Foden who was 17 years and 350 days old when he won it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Salah 28
    Firmino 29
    Mane 28
    This year. We have another 4 years of this three .
    They would be mental to go anywhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

ERG89 wrote: »
    To be fair De Jong & Griezmann don't look good at Barca either, if they were to swap circumstances with 2 of our best players for instance I bet Klopp would improve them in 6 months and the players who go to Barca would turn to mulch. It seems if you aren't Messi or his mate you don't do well there as unlike Pep they are still chasing their styles of the past. I can't remember the last player who went to Barca and improved.

As far as being unwanted Can as I said when he left wasn't consistent enough to play regularly for a top side, I don't think anyone will pay the €30m that Juventus want for him either. He'd be MOTM one week and 2 games later dropped to the bench.

Mascherano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Elliott will be 17 in April and needs 4 more 1 minute appearances before the end of the season to become the youngest PL winner ever taking it away from Foden who was 17 years and 350 days old when he won it.

Is it still based on appearances?

I thought it was changed to that the winning club get 40 medals and they decide who gets them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

dogbert27 wrote: »

I thought it was changed to that the winning club get 40 medals and they decide who gets them?

You mean I could get one?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    You mean I could get one?

Depends on who your pals are at LFC :pac:

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »

5 appearances are needed to get a PL medal however the club are then given a limited number of extra medals to present to coaching staff medical staff etc and to players they think deserve them like second choice keepers who may not have played a game.

https://streamable.com/4xaij

Different angle to Elliot's goal last night!

5 appearances are needed to get a PL medal however the club are then given a limited number of extra medals to present to coaching staff medical staff etc and to players they think deserve them like second choice keepers who may not have played a game.

I think Klopp will give Jones and Elliot the necessary appearances for that to happen.

Seems to have a lot of faith in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The good thing about not being on TV was forgetting all about the west ham game and hearing it on the news that Liverpool are X points clear. Happy days

cjmc wrote: »
    The good thing about not being on TV was forgetting all about the west ham game and hearing it on the news that Liverpool are X points clear. Happy days

Not on tv?!!

Get with the times!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Documentary outlining the life-altering soccer career of Steven Gerrard and his impact on Liverpool.

itv4 at 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

.red. wrote: »
    Henderson, for the last 10/15 games has started to show real leadership qualities on the field. He's always done that to a certain level but seems to have brought it up a notch or 2.
    He's almost Roy Keane like on the pitch, he never gives up. He's never gonna be the most skillful man in the middle but he knows his limitations and doesn't try anything fancy. He's got a job to do and he does it, very very well.
    If everyone is fit and firing he's the first midfielder on the team sheet for me.

I wouldn't have believed that 2/3 seasons ago.

100% agree. And you have clowns like Johnny Giles saying this week that Henderson as a leader is exaggerated.

He’s a born leader and will down as one of the best captains in our history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I called for him to removed as captain more than most because I didn't think he was vocal enough on the pitch and I would have said that right up to the end of last season.

However lifting the European Cup last season changed him it has given him a confidence on the pitch I don't think he had before that.

He now knows he is the captain of what might be the best team of the generation and he deserves to be there.

His belief in his own game has also grown and changed with the lifting of the European Cup which has been on display over the last two months.

He is right up there in the running for POTY and rightly so.

Yea, he’s a man on a mission right now. I’ve been really critical of Henderson too, and while I never had an issue with him being captain, I’m glad that he’s found his role in the team. He’s a proper role model for the young players too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

City can't spend big. They are already struggling to explain their accounts, and their mystery companies , that we all know are just the owners companies in disguise. Uefa is on their case big time, they are under the spotlight.

I thought they "settled" that case?

• Advertisement

Still on going, they will be allowed to play CL in 20/21 season as even if they were banned they'd appeal and that appeal would drag on into the start of the 20/21 season so it would buy them some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hendo great captain but how many of our squad are Captains of there country or have been Captains of clubs or country in the past
    Robbo
    Hendo,
    Milner,
    Giní,
    Naby
    Lallana
    Mane,
    Salah
    VVD

Not sure about Matip or Lovren but I think they have been Captains before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Watching Gerrard Documentaryon itv4 .

Was thinking should sign him now and play him a few times to pick a league up :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Watching Gerrard Documentaryon itv4 .

Was thinking should sign him now and play him a few times to pick a league up :P

Of course never going to happen but he'd be a fool to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Could you see the laughing stock he would become is he quit as Rangers manager and registered as a Liverpool to get a league winners medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Salah 28
    Firmino 29
    Mane 28
    This year. We have another 4 years of this three .
    They would be mental to go anywhere else

If Liverpool still have this three on the books in four years it'll be a miracle. They won't allow this team to grow old together.

Johnny Giles was talking about Klopp being a one trick pony around this time last year.

Seems to be a nice fella, but a plank of wood would probably give a better insight. I'd say the newstalk lads cringe at his weekly football slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

100% agree. And you have clowns like Johnny Giles saying this week that Henderson as a leader is exaggerated.

WHY DO PEOPLE QUOTE JOHNNY GILES AND HIS LUNATIC THEORIES IN THIS THREAD????? JESUS CHRIST.

• Advertisement

The lads on Irish radio are still doubling down on Liverpool's highline and it won't work.

This is despite only letting in 15 so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

mosstin wrote: »
    WHY DO PEOPLE QUOTE JOHNNY GILES AND HIS LUNATIC THEORIES IN THIS THREAD????? JESUS CHRIST.

...and good luck to him

If Liverpool still have this three on the books in four years it'll be a miracle. They won't allow this team to grow old together.

I would expect the first of them to move in 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Hendo great captain but how many of our squad are Captains of there country or have been Captains of clubs or country in the past
    Robbo
    Hendo,
    Milner,
    Giní,
    Naby
    Lallana
    Mane,
    Salah
    VVD

Not sure about Matip or Lovren but I think they have been Captains before

Lovren captained us last weekend. Shaqiri has also captained Switzerland but he's in the bad books now after throwing a strop when Xhaka got the armband recently.

Even players not on the list, Fabinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Firmino, Alisson you could easily imagine captaining a side. Gomez and Trent are well on their way too.

Leaders of men

JpoT.gif

If Gerrard shows as much determination to succeed as Liverpool manager as he did as a Liverpool player then we could be in for one hell of a ride .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If Gerrard shows as much determination to succeed as Liverpool manager as he did as a Liverpool player then we could be in for one hell of a ride .

How about we simply enjoy the hell of a ride we are on at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The lads on Irish radio are still doubling down on Liverpool's highline and it won't work.

This is despite only letting in 15 so far this season.

Weirdly Carra did the exact same when he was a guest on the Totally Football podcast. Was very very anti high-line. Was a bit surprised by him to be honest.

Even better than that, I think he's a man who has grown to be a leader. Some people are just born with gravitas and big personalities that draw people in - I think Henderson by contrast has worked very hard at it, as well as simply being someone who genuinely cares about other people. That's more impressive for me than those who are naturals.

Gerrard really thought he had cracked it when we beat City 3-2 with the Coutinho winner, the way he celebrated, like League was there for him finally. Meant so much to win a title, it's so sad he never did.

Gerrard really thought he had cracked it when we beat City 3-2 with the Coutinho winner, the way he celebrated, like League was there for him finally. Meant so much to win a title, it's so sad he never did.

Under a better manager that league was ours. Defence was abandoned that season.

6 wrote: »

You could argue that it's what brought us so close, that we did shoot to kill always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Johnny Giles was talking about Klopp being a one trick pony around this time last year.

Seems to be a nice fella, but a plank of wood would probably give a better insight. I'd say the newstalk lads cringe at his weekly football slot.

He said they were a one trick pony, but it was a very good trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    He said they were a one trick pony, but it was a very good trick.

Still makes no sense. Liverpool are dynamic and versatile. You couldn't pick a more inappropriate team to describe as a "one trick pony."

Giles is from a generation that was tortured by Liverpool teams, particularly that Leeds side. Once that kind of bitterness grasps your heart it never lets go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

As much as I respect him, Giles' theories were largely out of date 10 years ago .....and now he just appears to be a complete dinosaur.

I suspect he watches very little football these days at all....every time he's wheeled out lately it's not long before he's back wittering on about players from 40 years ago

Just seeing neither BT or the BBC have picked up the FA Cup game so no extra TV money for Shrewsbury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Just seeing neither BT or the BBC have picked up the FA Cup game so no extra TV money for Shrewsbury.

Shrewsbury will rightly feel aggrieved - one would have sympathy.

From a Liverpool perspective, playing the kids is the right option though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Awful tactics against Chelsea cost us the league.

To be fair we didn't really expect to be in a title race and by the time we realized it, it was over. I do remember thinking before the Chelsea game we really could win this but don't remember thinking it before then. After Chelsea it was over.
    It doesn't even rate in my top 5 crushing moments as a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I agree . As Bob Paisley once said " “Let them lose their legs on someone else's pitch”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

One thing Klopp said in the last press conference that I feel has been largely ignored is the reliance on replay revenues for smaller clubs.

Maybe it is time for proper funding for lower league clubs. There is certainly enough money in the game ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement