Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

1989 from me and nothing close.
    The 88 Cup Final was a fairly bad one for me. It's always considered a massive upset but I think Wimbeldon finished 8th in the top flight that year and yet I was astonished they beat us.

Losing to Genoa in the 1992 Uefa Cup destroyed me. I don't know why. Actually thought we lost the away leg 0-3 but just checked it was 0-2. They got a late goal and the Anfield game was 2-1.
    Portsmouth in the semi final of the 92 cup. I had £110 on Liverpool to win in 90 minutes and it went to extra time. I actually thought it was £88 but that doesn't make sense as the odds were 11-8 on. Anyway I lost money I didn't have and couldn't do anything for a week.

Hmmm all from a period when it meant a lot more to me I guess

losing to Celtic...CELTIC at Anfield in the late 90s early noughties in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

We sure did ,
    I was thinking Thomas was 90-91 for some reason instead of 88-89 :D
    its been in my mind that way for years :eek:

:D all those feckin years of counselling for nothing!!!!!! :pac:

not that it's relevant to what happened in that match but Hillsborough was only about a month before and we had just won the merseyside FA cup
    must have been a mental few weeks for the players

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

For some reason the league cup final defeat to Chelsea in 2005 cut me deep.
    I was nearly in tears when we lost...the league cup !!! Dont know why ?!! Might have been the drink!! :D
    Think i just wanted to beat Mourinho's Chelsea soo bad - was bulling for a good few days after it. :P:P

Riise with a forgotten classic in the first minute, Gerarrd with an own goal with 10mins to go to make it go to extra time, Jose with the shush finger to the mouth to the Liverpool fans..(we got him back for that a few weeks later)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It's looking increasingly likely that, yet again, Liverpool will fail to sign Nuno Gomes.

Parry out.

Josh King is available I think.

We should make a move in case the Carlton Cole deal falls through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Darren Bent is always on stand by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Any talk of Simao Sabrosa coming in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Darren Bent is always on stand by.

Brings back memories of literally praying we don't sign Luke Young & Carlton Cole on one deadline day. The Hodgson times were darker than coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

reunion drinks with friends in town tomorrow meaning that I can't watch the game via my usual means.

Are there any pubs where I'm likely to enjoy myself and "not miss out"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Emre Can just ended his Juve stay to sign for BVB....they seem to be planning with him as a defender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Emre Can just ended his Juve stay to sign for BVB....they seem to be planning with him as a defender.
    Who? :D

ballyargus wrote: »
    Are there any pubs where I'm likely to enjoy myself?

I dont get out much due to kids etc but my answer would be absolutely all of them :pac:

The game is on sky sports in ireland so most pubs will be showing it prior to switching over for rugby at 4.45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Inside West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've never watched a game in such horror as I did the 2018 CL Final. The Gerrard slip was bad but that was one moment followed by some ill-advised efforts to make up for it.

The 2018 Final was Salah's injury, followed by Karius literally bouncing it off Benzema into the goal, followed by Karius letting a 30 yard strike directly at him slip through his fingers.

Yeah the 2018 CL final was a nightmare. What made it worse was after Karius' first mistake to gift Benzama the opening goal Mane got us back to 1-1 within five minutes. So you're thinking okay, Karius' fcuk up has been cancelled out, lets go on now and test them. And then 6 minutes later Karius goes and does it again :mad: At least there was no arguing with Bales overhead worldie to finish it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Liverpool Goal of the Month time.

IMO:
    Goal A: Jones v Everton is the best technically
    Goal D: Salah v Man U is the sweetest for so many reasons
    Goal F: Layton Stewart for the U18's is very worthy as well

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1223268927691771904

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah the 2018 CL final was a nightmare. What made it worse was after Karius' first mistake to gift Benzama the opening goal Mane got us back to 1-1 within five minutes. So you're thinking okay, Karius' fcuk up has been cancelled out, lets go on now and test them. And then 6 minutes later Karius goes and does it again :mad: At least there was no arguing with Bales overhead worldie to finish it off.

It was so traumatic you've got it the wrong way round, the overhead was the second goal, the long ranger was the third. Was defo my worst experience too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    For some reason the league cup final defeat to Chelsea in 2005 cut me deep.
    I was nearly in tears when we lost...the league cup !!! Dont know why ?!! Might have been the drink!! :D
    Think i just wanted to beat Mourinho's Chelsea soo bad - was bulling for a good few days after it. :P:P

Riise with a forgotten classic in the first minute, Gerarrd with an own goal with 10mins to go to make it go to extra time, Jose with the shush finger to the mouth to the Liverpool fans..(we got him back for that a few weeks later)...

That was the day of my Oldest sons Christening. Already had a few pints before it started and it went downhill from there. Completely gutted that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

.G. wrote: »
    It was so traumatic you've got it the wrong way round, the overhead was the second goal, the long ranger was the third. Was defo my worst experience too.

yeah you're right, I mixed them up. Im still suffering PTSD from that game. Massive kudos to Klopp and the squad to bounce back from something that low and go on to win it the following season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Didn't have a great day.

Used my new method for 2020 - told all my work colleagues how I can't wait for trophy to be picked up early April.

They were kind of taken aback - some Arsenal fans, a few united in the dark, .

Came home looked at table - just feel happy again

• Advertisement

God we're doing the depressing thing tonight are we?
    Mine was definitely the Gerrard slip, nothing compares to that for me.
    Well obviously above all else the Hillsborough disaster was everyones darkest moment and goes without saying, but in on the field stuff yeah the Chelsea game with Stevie's slip.
    By a distance. That was the title on the line and it really would have been just perfect for it to be Stevie to lift it after all he did for us. Granted not everyone on here appears to love him so much but for me he carried us for years and I was gutted for him. I really thoght we had it.
    That moment was a knife in the heart for me. Took me a long while to get over it. Every poxy image from him slipping to Demba Ba celebrating to Mourinho on the sideline, all etched into my memory.
    Wondered after that game if I'd ever see us win it but here we are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Looking forward to seeing Ings tomorrow. He should have had a goal in the first game between us at the Dell. He's done very well for himself, 14 goals this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Ings tomorrow. He should have had a goal in the first game between us at the Dell. He's done very well for himself, 14 goals this season.

He did score, after Adrian made a mess of a pass

Steyr 556 wrote: »

Yeah he's done great to be fair and he was awful unlucky with injuries with us.
    I'd say he'll get a great reception tomorrow and wish the lad well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Yeah he's done great to be fair and he was awful unlucky with injuries with us.
    I'd say he'll get a great reception tomorrow and wish the lad well.

I wish he doesn't score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

ERG89 wrote: »
    He did score, after Adrian made a mess of a pass

Memory is shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Heading over for the game today. I wondered last night was the 3am alarm call worth it then I remembered I was going to see the best football team in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    In football terms it has to be 88/89. Still dont know what Liverpool were up to that night. Should have just gone at Arsenal instead of the total cautious approach!
    Still blame Kenny on that..

120 mins on the previous Saturday, in a very emotional cup final, another game on the Tuesday and then the Arsenal game on a Friday night was bound to take its toll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

FA Cup final, cantona, james, confirmation day and lots of Utd fans around.
    i didnt enjoy it nor was I allowed to take a name for my confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

2014 CL Group stage was a low point for me.

We were only 6 months removed from being in a position to win the league on the last day of the season and it was clear by then that it was all built on sand. We didn't push on at all and after years out of CL we made an absolute embarrassment of the group stage.

All from memory:

Home v Ludogorets - losing 1-0 with a few mins to go. Scrappy Balotelli goal to equalise then in injury time their keeper loses his head and gifts us a penalty. We win 2-1.

Away v Ludogorets - think this was a score draw. Don't remember the game much but should never have been scrapping for points against a Bulgarian side not even playing in their home Stadium or town.

Home v Real Madrid - don't think we'd ever lost to Real Madrid before this game. 2009 was a distant memory as we lost 3-0, totally outclassed and Balotelli gets hooked at half time, swapping jerseys with Pepe with 45mins left to play. Embarrassing.

Away v Real Madrid - Kolo Toure plays a stormer in a... 0-0 draw I think? Game is remembered for Rodgers giving up before the game and benching Gerrard, Coutinho, Sterling etc and playing a second string. Embarrassing.

Home v Basel - Lazar Markovic's 15mins of fame. Nothing else of note. Chances of qualifying peter out as we stumble to a draw at home in a must win game

Away v Basel - I remember this one very well as I was at the game. To date it's the worst I've seen from us live. Markovic, Manquillo, Lovren, Balotelli, Moreno all woeful. Sterling should have scored it least once. Lallana looked like the only one trying. We concede a poor goal from a corner. Balotelli refuses to clap the travelling fans with the rest of the team (few of us noticed anyway) and the only redeeming feature of the night was the introduction of the terrific Colin Pascoe song which we sung for the entirety of half time. Pascoe was scapegoated and sacked by the end of the season.

Add in the elimination from the Europa League at the first hurdle against Besiktas and it was the worst European fight I've seen from this team.

Low point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah the Rodgers era in Europe was a stain on the legacy of the club. It was a reminder of some of the terrible exits in the early / mid nineties. Getting tanked by Genoa; losing to Brondby and Celts Vigo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Just realised that after being so close to equalling City's record of 18 wins in a row (and drawing the 18th with Utd.), we're now back up to 15 wins in a row again! Yet another reminder of just how mad this season is.

As for bad memories for me... Losing a crap Cup Final to Juve in '85 when it shouldn't even have been played. Losing the FA Cup in '88 (was it Beasant who was the first Keeper to save a penalty in the Final?), and of course Thomas's 'it's up for grabs' winner in Anfield in '89. I still think that match was just one match too far for an emotionally and physically exhausted Liverpool team. The Cup Final against Utd in '96 still sticks, especially as it was Cantona who scored.

Moving forward in time, those seasons after the great seasons where we just didn't move up to the next level, like in 01/02, 09/10 and especially 14/15, it felt like every time we'd a great season we followed it up with crap. Thank god we've done the exact opposite this season, going from an amazing 97 points that I thought we'd never be able to get close to again, to potentially exceeding it! :)

Funny I was just thinking of the EC 85 Final as one that didn't really bug me. Leaving the human tragedy aside which is a separate issue. We had been on a savage run from 81-84. I totally expected to beat a Platini led Juve but when it didn't happen it didn't really bother me.
    Maybe it was the deaths but that isn't my recollection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The Roy Hodgson era is easily the worst for me. No single match ranks worse than pretty much the entire 6 month stint.

The club was a dysfunctional, and financial mess. Roy was so horrendously out of touch with what it meant to be a part of Liverpool football club. There was a point where he even let Fergie walk all over Torres, the club, and Roy himself in the media, saying something like, "who am I to question Sir Alex", after Fergie was giving Torres **** in the media.

You were the manager of Liverpool. You were handed an absolute lay up, and instead of smashing it back and getting some credit, you meekly law prostrate and helped be the figurehead of our club's destitution.

He had countless media ****ups like these that just left me dismayed that this man had somehow managed to get himself the most important job at the Club I loved, and be so desperately lacking in what was required of him.

It was a truly painful time to be a fan for a whole host of reasons. Hicks & Gillette, fanbase divided on Rafa's departure, player departures, replacement players who had no business being in a Liverpool shirt being headhunted by Roy himself, and a genuine threat of administration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Hodgson was just never suited for the Liverpool job nor the England managerial role either IMO. His true level is getting respectable performances and results with limited clubs such as he did with Fulham, West Brom and now Palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ratracer

^^^^^^ Fully agree with this Knex!! I never thought we would have had a manager as bad as Souness again until Hodgson came along. Even just looking at some of players he bought, and the starting 11’s he played showed how utterly out of touch he was with a club with as rich a history as Liverpool. No vision, no plan, nothing.

I still cringe when I see him appear on TV, and feel sorry for Crystal Palace supporters!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

How would people rate Souness vs Hodgson??

Hodgson was undoubtedly out of his depth and didn’t seem to have a clue about the culture of the club, expectations etc.

When I think of that period I blame the club management/owners rather than Hodgson.

But Souness was an absolute disaster altogether given his history with the club....he ripped the squad apart, failed to make one even remotely successful signing (that I can think of right now) and his training methods resulted in a spate of injuries as well iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Just leaving this here. I keep staring at it, it's actually hard to believe.

f5e7a060e83f43daabd278ff7cba1f841580555310.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Funny I was just thinking of the EC 85 Final as one that didn't really bug me. Leaving the human tragedy aside which is a separate issue. We had been on a savage run from 81-84. I totally expected to beat a Platini led Juve but when it didn't happen it didn't really bother me.
    Maybe it was the deaths but that isn't my recollection

That penalty decision though....

Obviously football is the last thing anyone should care about that day but in a vacuum the game itself was frustrating and the penalty was one of the worst I've ever seen awarded

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is today`s game against the Saints the last one that Liverpool will play at 3pm on a Saturday this season? After today they have no scheduled games on that day and time until the meeting with City in early April which will be switched and I would think that their PL fixtures after that will be changed as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Trying to get tickets on the website for Shrewsbury, game is now marked as Sold Out.

I'm a registered member, was trying since about 11.15, but no luck, just the odd seat coming up and disappearing straight away.

Might just go over Tuesday and get one outside Anfield.

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »

Souness gets a pass because he was/is a club legend but that should never ever happen, except in Manchester.

I see Kepa has been dropped. According to my calculations spending £70M+ on a goalie only works out 50% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Cartman78 wrote: »

Hodgson was undoubtedly out of his depth and didn’t seem to have a clue about the culture of the club, expectations etc.

When I think of that period I blame the club management/owners rather than Hodgson.

But Souness was an absolute disaster altogether given his history with the club....he ripped the squad apart, failed to make one even remotely successful signing (that I can think of right now) and his training methods resulted in a spate of injuries as well iirc

Rob jones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah the Rodgers era in Europe was a stain on the legacy of the club. It was a reminder of some of the terrible exits in the early / mid nineties. Getting tanked by Genoa; losing to Brondby and Celts Vigo

Mad to think Klopp took that team straight to the EL Final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

1989 from me and nothing close.
    The 88 Cup Final was a fairly bad one for me. It's always considered a massive upset but I think Wimbeldon finished 8th in the top flight that year and yet I was astonished they beat us.

Losing to Genoa in the 1992 Uefa Cup destroyed me. I don't know why. Actually thought we lost the away leg 0-3 but just checked it was 0-2. They got a late goal and the Anfield game was 2-1.
    Portsmouth in the semi final of the 92 cup. I had £110 on Liverpool to win in 90 minutes and it went to extra time. I actually thought it was £88 but that doesn't make sense as the odds were 11-8 on. Anyway I lost money I didn't have and couldn't do anything for a week.

Hmmm all from a period when it meant a lot more to me I guess

losing to Celtic...CELTIC at Anfield in the late 90s early noughties in Europe

That ****ing genoa game.

Jesus, I remember being about six and watching it in the elephant and castle, hated genoa ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Souness gets a pass because he was/is a club legend but that should never ever happen, except in Manchester.

Souness won the FA cup as manager with us,he made mistakes with that newspaper ..he knows it,haunts him.

A Liverpool legend in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Same team other than Fabby in for Origi.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Fabinho starts, The Ox pushes up to the front 3 with Origi out, same as West Ham bar them changes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement