Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

All this chat today of us having a great relationship with Red Bull, wonder if they'd be interested in the minority stake the owners were looking to sell a while back. Or maybe some sponsorship deal on the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

.G. wrote: »
    All this chat today of us having a great relationship with Red Bull, wonder if they'd be interested in the minority stake the owners were looking to sell a while back. Or maybe some sponsorship deal on the horizon.

Trent started some deal with Red Bull recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Michael Edwards strikes again that damm transfer committee giving Klopp the tools to work with.

Saw a tweet saying Edwards must have been up to some spy stuff in the RB Salzburg offices during the CL game to find out about the release clause :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Probably just logged into the City scouting system.

Pa$$word1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Apparently Edwards has been tracking him for about 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Minamino won't be cup tied either in the champions league. That's a nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well the Red Bull owner is worth about $20B he could well afford to buy the club.

FSG is worth about $3b

Mansour at City would be the only owner in the PL richer than him at $22b

Kroenke $10b

Abramovich $8b

Joe Lweis at Spurs $6b

Leicester City owners $6b

The Glazier $5b

Well the Red Bull owner is worth about $20B he could well afford to buy the club.

FSG is worth about $3b

Mansour at City would be the only owner in the PL richer than him at $22b

Kroenke $10b

Abramovich $8b

Joe Lweis at Spurs $6b

Leicester City owners $6b

The Glazier $5b

Yeah Dietrich has got a few bob alright. There was some chat a few years back about them possibly buying Leeds. He'd want to rename us Red Bull Liverpool though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement

Yeah Dietrich has got a few bob alright. There was some chat a few years back about them possibly buying Leeds. He'd want to rename us Red Bull Liverpool though :D

RB Liverpool

RB Anfield

RB Kirkby Training Grounds.

Or Red Bull sponsored Nike jerseys... Just Do It It Gives You Wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

robwen wrote: »

RM trying to remain relevant, yesterday's men

RB Liverpool

RB Anfield

RB Kirkby Training Grounds.

Or Red Bull sponsored Nike jerseys... Just Do It It Gives You Wings.

The new training ground is a good shout actually, not sure how much exposure for the brand that would provide though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool's Kirkby development is based on RB Salzburg's training ground to at least some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Inside story behind Liverpool's six-year transfer pursuit of Takumi Minamino

BY DAVID MADDOCK

If Jurgen Klopp couldn’t hide a broader grin that usual in training on Wednesday, then it wasn’t just through Champions League satisfaction.

One by one, senior players at the club sidled up to him to plant a suggestion that he take a closer look at the player who caused them so many problems for Red Bull Salzburg the night before.

The Liverpool manager, of course, knew something the likes of skipper Jordan Henderson and defensive leader Virgil van Dijk did not. The subject of their admiration - Takumi Minamino - was already a Red.

In principle at least. For more than six weeks, the club’s Sporting Director Michael Edwards has been in amicable, progressive negotiations with his counterpart at Salzburg, their Director of Football Christoph Freund.

“I can confirm that there are currently discussions with Liverpool. It is an honour which clubs are interested in our players,” Freund said on Thursday, with the player a done deal subject to a medical.

Yet that is only part of the story. The talks over the past two months are merely the conclusion of a process which has landed Liverpool one of the most exciting players in world football…for a steal.

Edwards and his recruitment team - which includes a high-tech, high-powered analytics department - have actually tracked Minamino since 2013, before he left Cerezo Osaka in Japan (and playing alongside Diego Forlan) to join Salzburg.

During that long tracking process, Edwards and his team maintained regular scrutiny, through personal checks and extensive analysis of his data.

In the past two seasons they have seen a huge leap in his development - and in his numbers in terms of physical progression, stamina and output - in Austria. In fact, most Premier League clubs saw him as a bigger prize that Salzburg’s other star, Erling Haaland.

That was illustrated in the two games he has played against Liverpool this season, and his man of the match performance for his team at Anfield. But also in reaching the Europa League semi-final in 2018, and the fact that Japan coach Hajime Moriyasu has built his international team around the 24 year old.

Crucially, Edwards has built up a relationship with Freund at Salzburg, and also with the wider Red Bull organisation, after delicate and again amicable negotiations with Leipzig over the sale of Naby Keita.

That allowed his team to discover a priceless piece of information that rivals for his signature didn’t have - the fact that Minamino had a release clause inserted when the Austrians took up an option last February to extend his contract to 2021.

Manchester United, AC Milan and Bundesliga leaders Borussia Monchengladbach were all tracking and regularly watching the Japan forward, but were unaware of the clause setting such a low price.

It is a huge bargain for Liverpool, given the player fits Klopp’s profile almost perfectly. He has average around 12km a game distance covered this season, and has 20 goal involvements in 22 games for Salzburg - and those are elite numbers.

Edwards relationship with the Red Bull franchises is no coincidence. Klopp is a keen admirer of their work in finding young talent and developing it spectacularly, with both Sadio Mane and Keita following the path from Salzburg.

Klopp himself has been an admirer of the player since he arrived in Austria, and his smile when Minamino scored against Liverpool at Anfield perhaps betrayed his feelings more than was realised at the time.

He has got a player valued around the £30m mark for a fraction of that price, and there is an added bonus too - though it has no impact on the signing.

Klopp sees Minamino as ideal for his team, with his ability to be creative and productive in several positions, and he will play a lot of Premier League games during the second half of the campaign, according the manager.

He is there at Anfield by right, and in fact as a coup, given he cost what Liverpool sold youngster Ryan Kent for and a third of what they got for Dominic Solanke and Danny Ings.

But he is also a prize because of his status in the Far East as a true Japanese hero.

That helps in trying to crack that particular market, which was a stated aim of the club when they won a court case to switch from New Balance to Nike for their kit deal.

No wonder Klopp had a huge smile on Wednesday.

Edwards tracking him since Rodgers laid the foundations for this team :)

If we have that kind of relationship with The RB Group I would prefer to get a deal done for Werner instead of Sancho to be honest.

I'm also thinking Michael Edwards should be the highest paid person at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Two class goals from Rinsola Babajide here.

https://twitter.com/LiverpoolFCW/status/1205141393976500225

Let's be honest here - he was on the Man City excel file!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Probably just logged into the City scouting system.

Pa$$word1
    Let's be honest here - he was on the Man City excel file!

Nobody likes a copycat Harry.:pac:

:o;) Sorry Turty, then again! :p

Assuming he passes the balls squeeze test how will he line out? As a rotation for the front three or as a hybrid 8/10?

Given his heat map the other night he's perfect for rotating with all the front three but especially Bobby, he's a pressing machine just like Bob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

gimli2112 wrote: »
    RM trying to remain relevant, yesterday's men

Except, of course, that's not what happened.

Zidane was asked who he wanted to draw.
    "We can't do anything about who we draw."
    What about Liverpool?
    "If we draw them, we will have to beat them."

More clickbait nonsense on Twitter. Nothing wrong with that; he's spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Manchester United, AC Milan and Bundesliga leaders Borussia Monchengladbach were all tracking and regularly watching the Japan forward, but were unaware of the clause setting such a low price.

Micheal Edwards works his oracle again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

Except, of course, that's not what happened.

Zidane was asked who he wanted to draw.
    "We can't do anything about who we draw."
    What about Liverpool?
    "If we draw them, we will have to beat them."

More clickbait nonsense on Twitter. Nothing wrong with that; he's spot on.

No way he'd have said that. Always a mob on Twitter with virtual pitchforks ready to torch someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

According to Mel Reddy

“ #MUFC have been scouting Takumi Minamino as an alternative to James Maddison. But they didn't know about his release clause and #LFC had already been in negotiations with Red Bull Salzburg for the Japan international since November...”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seems to be a bit of ‘We didn’t want him anyway’ damage limitation on from the man u end.

Wonder how long before the ‘he wouldn’t get into the team’ posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

KevRossi wrote: »
    Two class goals from Rinsola Babajide here.

https://twitter.com/LiverpoolFCW/status/1205141393976500225

Some left foot! Could do with getting her to have a chat with Mo about his far-corner curlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Love that piece about us tracking Minamino and Edwards having an excellent working relationship with his Salzburg counterpart. That doesn't hurt at all, in fact I'd love to see Salzburg/Leipzig become our new Southampton. Preferably Salzburg as be much cheaper than by the time a player gets to the Bundesliga.

The other clubs who were interested must be sickened we've got Minamino for such a bargain price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Steyr 556 wrote: »

The other clubs who were interested must be sickened we've got Minamino for such a bargain price.

Did I miss something, has he signed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Grayditch wrote: »

As good as,can't sign officially until Jan 1st

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Happy Birthday Daniel Agger.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »

All reports are saying he will be a Liverpool in January 1st if he passes the medical.

Let’s hope he doesn’t have a hole in his heart or a bum knee.

What's the story, do Red Bull just promote players from Salzburg to Leipzig?

I've searched for players that have made that move and can't find any transfer fees.

What's the story, do Red Bull just promote players from Salzburg to Leipzig?

I've searched for players that have made that move and can't find any transfer fees.

Keita move between the two for £27m.

Keita move between the two for £27m.

Ahhhh. Sound :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Given his heat map the other night he's perfect for rotating with all the front three but especially Bobby, he's a pressing machine just like Bob.

As I said, ready for Bobby move :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit of ‘We didn’t want him anyway’ damage limitation on from the man u end.

Wonder how long before the ‘he wouldn’t get into the team’ posts.

James is better.

Sweet Jesus, I hate these ****ing video compilations of their 'best bits'. You could probably do one for say, Milan Jovanov....actually, no, you couldn't.

mosstin wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus, I hate these ****ing video compilations of their 'best bits'. You could probably do one for say, Milan Jovanov....actually, no, you couldn't.

Why would need one when you have Neighbors for that

• Advertisement

Why would need one when you have Neighbors for that

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

All reports are saying he will be a Liverpool in January 1st if he passes the medical.

Good stuff.

To think 18 months ago Liverpool were going to sign Nabil Fekir for about 50m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Stevie made it into the knockout stages of the EL by the skin of his teeth - fair dues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Stevie made it into the knockout stages of the EL by the skin of his teeth - fair dues

Yeah, not an easy group for a team like Rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Would he be Liverpool's first ever East Asian signing (if it happens)? There definitely wasn't any in my years of supporting (2002 onward).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

He'll be a brilliant signing for us on so many fronts and you can't go wrong for the price, on a side note I think bobby should start tomorrow could be ideal opponents to get him going again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just noticed this on youtube and I found it fascinating. I'd imagine the majority of you have already watched it but just in case:).

To think that Rafa and Carra had never discussed the final before hand just blows my mind. Anyways a cracking watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Just noticed this on youtube and I found it fascinating. I'd imagine the majority of you have already watched it but just in case:).

To think that Rafa and Carra had never discussed the final before hand just blows my mind. Anyways a cracking watch.

I seen it live , and watching it 2 things stood out.
    Milan Baros was on the team ? I'd forgotten all about him.
    And when exactly were we in control? All I remember is shevchenko fluffing his lines and hanging on for penos.
    I must watch the whole game again and not just the YouTube clips!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

this pic sums up the last two days in here perfectly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

cjmc wrote: »
    I seen it live , and watching it 2 things stood out.
    Milan Baros was on the team ? I'd forgotten all about him.
    And when exactly were we in control? All I remember is shevchenko fluffing his lines and hanging on for penos.
    I must watch the whole game again and not just the YouTube clips!!!

Rafa doesn't strike me as a people person. The kind of boss you have tremendous respect for but avoid at all costs. Dreading the lift getting stuck if he gets in with you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement