Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York hotel for first timers

Options
  • 11-12-2019 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Considering new York for a 4 night break next year, maybe march.

Having not been before could anyone recommend a hotel or area for first timers that will make life a little easier getting around the major attractions etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

For a first time I would suggest somewhere around midtown. However, it all depends on your budget and how many are going.

Be careful with your choice as a lot of NY hotels have extra 'resort fee' charges that they surprise you with.

I am currently looking at hotels for late Feb to early march. I have narrowed my choice to:

Cambria Suites Chelsea
    Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
    Iberostar 70
    Best Western Premier Herald Square

Take a look at these.

Also, the New York City forums on Tripadvisor are a good resort for reviews and advice on hotels. Pop in their and give them your dates, number of people, budget (to incl taxes charges) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Totally depends on your budget. First timer and short trip means manhattan probably. Generally super pricey but you can find a bargain. I booked through a corporate booking and stayed in Club Quarters the street beside Wall Street and also right up on upper westside on the low end of the budget, the corporate discount helped massively and was far nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Wellington Hotel is reasonably priced and in a great location. I was there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

depending on your dates, the Financial district is more or less deserted evenings and weekends

For first time I presume you will stay in Manhattan.
    It's a small island & anywhere you stay is close to everything.
    Depends on your budget, but to be fair, you will only be sleeping in the hotel. That's the way in Manhattan!
    So get somewhere good value & clean & you will be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The subway is brilliant, covers pretty much everywhere. Try to find somewhere near a station (ideally one that serves a number of lines) and you'll be grand. Staying closer to Times Square, Midtown will be more expensive.

Worth checking out options on the Lower East Side, Chinatown etc. Busy, bustling area with so many different cultures mixing and great value food options.

A great city. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement