Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ever happened to this place?

Options
  • 11-12-2019 4:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭

It used to be chock a block, especially around exam time. I really benefited from the community when I was doing mine. But when I looked in during the exams in June there was only a handful of active threads. And looking now, there have been like thirty comments in seven threads in the last two months. Yet the Student Room in the UK continues to get lots of traffic.

What I find puzzling - and kind of disturbing - is that the type of interaction that used to go on here - advice, assistance, support - doesn't seem to be happening elsewhere. Young people substituted MSN Messenger for Bebo, then Facebook, then Snapchat, but each time they were just moving platform and the interaction remained largely similar. But I don't imagine the people who would previously have populated this sub have moved to reddit or some other platform I don't know about. It seems like this type of community has just kind of died out.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It goes in cycles. Some years are more active. It can often take just one poster to enliven (or alternatively suck the life out of) the forum.

The more helpful and supportive years were always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

As you say, fads and fashions.

But yes, I doubt that it's easy to find the type of mix that you get / got here elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

Are you really sure it's a temporary lull? It seems to me that the days of the general interest forum are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Reddit has a decently active LC subreddit. I believe studyclix also has forum of sorts where their subscribers can ask / answer questions of other students.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

hasdanta wrote: »
    Reddit has a decently active LC subreddit. I believe studyclix also has forum of sorts where their subscribers can ask / answer questions of other students.

Correct.
    I used studyclix 3 years ago doing my LC. There was also this other system called Edmodo where we would interact with people in our school. Both were very very active with students helping and posting questions they weren't sure of etc.!
    I know I wouldn't have got the points that I got if it wasn't for the help of other students in my school!! We all helped each other through the suffering!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement