Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility wires on my house making noise during wind

Options
  • 11-12-2019 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭

Utility wires making noise during wind, they are outside my bedroom above the garages of adjoining semi-d. Its bothering my sleep its been happening for years but I need to be getting up earlier and its bothering me more. We had some windy days this week, I slept in another room which isn't always available.

Its sound of wire banging off another wire.

My dad is half deaf and can't hear it as well as I can. I did manage to record the sound and play it for him. But its hard to convince him to tackle it if its possible that he can.

My semi-d home used to be the third last house at the end road before the rest of the estate was built so it has more wires going from it to the neighbours over our garages then most houses do. 3.

The electricity wires were replaced recently when they replaced the electricity poles so I don't think its them, they're two twisted cables?, there is one thin slack wire I presume is a phone line but there another thicker wire thats held up by steel cable which I think is the culprit.

:/ Could an electrician try and find a way to dampen the sound?

ETA the other one could be TV cable.

Comments

Is the wire attached to a house? Or is it attached to an ESB pole or..?

If it's on a house, then I don't see why you can't just tape the two wires together with electrical tape or something to keep them from wrestling each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Is the wire attached to a house? Or is it attached to an ESB pole or..?

If it's on a house, then I don't see why you can't just tape the two wires together with electrical tape or something to keep them from wrestling each other.

the 3 wires are attached to my house and then the house over the garages, (one of those wires comes from the electricty pole to the my house and then across the garages to next door).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

the 3 wires are attached to my house and then the house over the garages, (one of those wires comes from the electricty pole to the my house and thrn across the garages).

DO NOT TAPE THEM TOGETHER!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

If the wire is attached to an ESB pole then its their responsibility even though it may not be their wire, do not interfere with it at all costs, report it to ESB and have them look at it, it may need to be removed or tightened up to reduce the slack.

Stanford wrote: »
    If the wire is attached to an ESB pole then its their responsibility even though it may not be their wire, do not interfere with it at all costs, report it to ESB and have them look at it, it may need to be removed or tightened up to reduce the slack.

I don't think its the electricity it might be the TV cable which was UPC (so Virgin media now)

how long do you think it would take for either company to respond to complaint of a noisy wire :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,461 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tell them you’re gonna get the hedge cutters out.

(Works for UPC, Not advisable for ESB)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

the 3 wires are attached to my house and then the house over the garages, (one of those wires comes from the electricty pole to the my house and then across the garages to next door).

Apologies if I've misinterpreted what you've written.

Are you saying that one or more of the wires comes from the pole, is attached to your house, and then goes to next door's garage? If so, could you contact the ESB or whoever, say you don't want next door's wire attached to your house and ask that it be re-routed directly from the pole to next door?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Post a picture of what your looking at and I’ll tell you if it’s esb or telecom

Truckermal wrote: »
    DO NOT TAPE THEM TOGETHER!!!!

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Why not?

Because the OP doesn’t even know what wires they are.

If it’s bare LV esb wires , the end result won’t be good if you attempt to tape them together

• Advertisement

TheBully wrote: »
    Because the OP doesn’t even know what wires they are.

If it’s bare LV esb wires , the end result won’t be good if you attempt to tape them together

Do you mean like they might get electrocuted? Cos I'm pretty sure the ESB don't leave such wires down the side of houses within reach.

I had a similar issue to the OP before. It was a satellite wire and a wire carrying electricity to a shed. They were grappling with each other every time a bit of wind blew.

I slapped some tape on them and slept soundly since.

i thinks its the tv cable but i'll have to get on to the garage roof and see if I can pinpoint it by ear

i thinks its the tv cable but i'll have to get on to the garage roof and see if I can pinpoint it by ear

Just something to take into consideration there is that apparently if you stick your TV cable to other cables it can cause your signal to weaken or have distortion/interference.

It's not an issue I've had, but just thought i'd say it incase you experience that.

If you wanted to be over cautious you could wrap some pipe insulation around them and then tape them together to try and avoid any issues. I got some in Dealz before. It's cheap enough to pick up.

Might be a waste of time/money but just worth saying nonetheless.

Just something to take into consideration there is that apparently if you stick your TV cable to other cables it can cause your signal to weaken or have distortion/interference.

It's not an issue I've had, but just thought i'd say it incase you experience that.

If you wanted to be over cautious you could wrap some pipe insulation around them and then tape them together to try and avoid any issues. I got some in Dealz before. It's cheap enough to pick up.

Might be a waste of time/money but just worth saying nonetheless.

well it wouldn't be my cable that gets messed up its be next doors and we don't use it anymore.

its seems to be the tv cable that held up by a steel wire between the two houses so Im looking for some split cable cover, the pipe insulation I probably have some in the shed and it might damping the sound too, but it could also make it worse by putting more strain on the steel wire.

Advertisement