Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning off english essays

Options
  • 11-12-2019 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, Im doing my leaving cert this year and I am hopeless at essays, and need at least a H3 for points, If I learn sample essays online and rewrite them in the exam basically word for word, whilst adapting the essay to the question asked could I be penalised? I was thinking I would learn them off by heart but add a sentence of my own in each paragraph

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is not a very sensible plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Practise.

An essay has three sections.
    1. State what you’re going to say.
    2. Say it.
    3. Say what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It might work.

Depends on the topic whether it will work brilliantly, will require some shoehorning, or be a complete disaster. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Dont learn the essay, Learn the bullet points and craft your essay around it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

In LC i had a very good teacher who was also an examiner.
    He gave us examples of essays that students had written that were A standard and went through why they were good.

I remembered about 5 of them, not off by heart but the main storyline to them. I used one of them as the basis for my essay but changed it slightly to fit the question.

It did help because I didn't waste time thinking about what to write. I knew the direction I was going and how it was going to end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It will be very clear to the examiner that your non learned off answers are of a different quality.

There are no shortcuts to success. At the very least a HL English candidate should be able to write an essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Whatever you do, do not learn of essays.

A quick google search of 'How to write an essay' will give you plenty of resources. Here is a good one I found.

http://lklivingston.tripod.com/essay/

There is also http://leavingcertenglish.net/ which hasn't been updated in years but still contains relevant material for leaving cert English.

Advertisement