Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmer permission

Options
  • 11-12-2019 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

Im have .22 rifle and currently Im a member of target club.
    Today i got permission from a farmer to control vermin on his property.
    When was applying for a rifle i only "ticked" box for target shooting, can i take tomorrow rifle and have few shoots ?
    Farm was abandoned for couple of years so there is lots to cleanup.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you only ticked target shooting on your FCA1 then your license was granted for target shooting only. Anything else is a breach of the conditions of your license.

You can speak to your FO and have them amend the "good reason" to include hunting and it may require an FCA2 amendment form.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Esku81

You were right :) Thanks !

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/online-services/firearms-licensing/commissioner-s-guidelines-2018.pdf

page 14 .... option (d)

So .... now time to fill FCA2 and add farmer permission and should be grand !

Cass wrote: »
    If you only ticked target shooting on your FCA1 then your license was granted for target shooting only. Anything else is a breach of the conditions of your license.

You can speak to your FO and have them amend the "good reason" to include hunting and it may require an FCA2 amendment form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

How does it work the other way around?

Are you breaking the law if you dont tick target shooting and then join a range or do a Hcap exam?

In short, yes (perhaps not so much for the deer certification test)

When applying for a firearm you need to tick the boxes of all intended purposes of the firearm and then obviously back up that application with membership of a range/land permission.

You cannot claim hunting as a good reason when you have no land permissions/membership to a gun club and likewise you cannot claim it as target shooting and not be a member of a range. Most times your FO would catch any such omissions with an FCA1 (lack of proof of range.gun club/land permissions) and refuse or seek the permissions/membership, but sometimes they miss it. However as always their mistake is still your responsibility.

This is why its important to tick all/as many boxes as you need and can provide paperwork to support.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

Put in an application the other day for a .243 stalking rifle (my sixth firearm) I also ticked the range membership for use on the range the FO he's fairly new to this in my area as the old one has moved on came back to me today and said I can only chose one. Hunting or range as there was not enough room on the form for him to put in for both ������
    My other rifles i.e. My 10/22 and 6.5 creedmore are hunting rifles with an extra allowance of ammunition for you guessed it, target shooting.

Makes you wonder.

• Advertisement

....... and said I can only chose one.
    Oh for the love of sweet baby Jesus. And people wonder why there is such conflict with AGS!

Where in the section 4.2 of the FCA1 does it say to only tick one? I'm being rhetorical and it's aimed at your FO anyway, not you.

Box(es), not box (singular).
    .......there was not enough room on the form for him to put in for both
    What form? The FCA1? He doesn't do sh*t to he FCA1 except on page 7. Pages 1 to 6 you fill in, and page 8 is for the Super.

If he means on PULSE then why can EVERY OTHER firearms officer around the country do this without a problem?

Lastly regardless of what your FO says DO NOT only tick one. Tick as many as applies to you. If s/he cannot do it on PULSE that is their problem. If you tick all the relevant boxes and the license is granted for only one, and you recieve no conditions on your grant, then the license is granted for the reason as per your box ticking on section 4.2

Sorry, that might read arse about face, but you is what i'm trying to get across clear enough. Tick everything YOU want, and if you're ever confronted about a breach of condition of your license and the FCA1 is ever checked the boxes being ticked will CYA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

Oh for the love of sweet baby Jesus. And people wonder why there is such conflict with AGS!

Where in the section 4.2 of the FCA1 does it say to only tick one? I'm being rhetorical and it's aimed at your FO anyway, not you.

Box(es), not box (singular).

What form? The FCA1? He doesn't do sh*t to he FCA1 except on page 7. Pages 1 to 6 you fill in, and page 8 is for the Super.

If he means on PULSE then why can EVERY OTHER firearms officer around the country do this without a problem?

Lastly regardless of what your FO says DO NOT only tick one. Tick as many as applies to you. If s/he cannot do it on PULSE that is their problem. If you tick all the relevant boxes and the license is granted for only one, and you recieve no conditions on your grant, then the license is granted for the reason as per your box ticking on section 4.2

Sorry, that might read arse about face, but you is what i'm trying to get across clear enough. Tick everything YOU want, and if you're ever confronted about a breach of condition of your license and the FCA1 is ever checked the boxes being ticked will CYA.

I know you are not getting at me but at the FO and I've ticked what I need to tick with letter of explanation attached and as you know its not my first application as I said I already have several dual purpose firearms and he is trying to tell me I it can't be done.

I only made the post to highlight to other posters that the AGS members we refer to as FO's may not be fully aware how to process the paperwork properly.

He said form but he probably ment Pulse when he said only room for one

Advertisement