Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We need to adopt a no-commute culture

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

KilOit wrote: »
    I also think it's very important for the social aspect to be around people. We're going down a very dangerous path of working from home is the norm, we'd have no social interaction and people would become very lonely.

Or, as is the case around here, people engage in a social life that matches their interests. You only have to spend a quiet afternoon on the "Work" thread to see that the supposedly social side of employment isn't all sweetness!

If we're going down any kind of path, it's the one that corrects this pseudo-workhouse mentality, where people don't feel they're being productive unless they're "putting the hours in" at some remote location instead of their income-generation being seamlessly integrated into a balance of chore and leisure.

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Everyone here is missing the worst outcome for remote working. That is if the work can be done remotely you don't need you're workers to be in Ireland.

Good point. My two sons, coming home for Christmas, have separately indicated that they'll need a couple of non-festive days to do some work while they're here. That's obviously the worst outcome for me - would have been so much better if they'd had to stay where they were for the sake of 8-12 hours spent on reports and assignments. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

In the past I have worked in some roles exclusively from home( I'm in IT) and found it has its advantages and disadvantages. These are

Advantages:
    - No commute
    - Cuts down on pointless meetings to an extent (you still have to be available for some meeting via webex, skype etc)
    - Saves money both on commute and lunch etc
    - Easier to focus especially on coding as a software developer
    - Can be a little more flexible in some ways

Disadvantages:
    - Not around your work colleagues. I realise a lot of people might like this, but I also like to have a chat and a bit of craic at work, hard to do this on your own!
    - You’re never away from work. Very easy to slip into a habit where your checking emails at 7 or 8 in the evening.
    - Less breaks – not sure if other are like this, but I end up working a lot more when at home
    - Your daily routines can start to slip. Had many days when I got up, quickly checked some emails, intending to then go for shower, breakfast etc. Come 1pm I am still working, no personal grooming done, it’s easy to slip into bad habits like this.
    - Miss out on internal conversations. Some of the most important things you can learn in a company can be via informal chats, when you’re not in the office sometimes can feel a bit out of the loop
    - Parents/in laws – if they are visiting, they just don’t seem to understand that you’re working no matter how many times you tell em and they constantly interrupt. Ideas for the houses, kids etc. It might be just my relations though!

Overall, I think a mix of in office and the option of being able to work at home for a couple of days a week is best for me, but everyone is different.

A pretty good summary of the pros and cons.

Another pro I would add is that you can stay home for things like deliveries or tradesmen calling in. Don't have to lose any time at work.

And a problem some people forget about working from home is access to equipment for tech people i.e. people assume that because I'm a programmer I can do my job from home but there are times I need access to printers, barcode scanners etc. You can simulate some of this stuff but not always.

I think having hubs would work for a lot of companies. My old company had offices in various locations, including some smaller cities you wouldn't normally think of, and they worked closely with the Dublin teams in a fairly seamless manner. It'll probably take another generation for ideas like this to really bear fruit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I work remotely a few days a week from home, never an issue. When in the office I am working remotely with colleagues in other countries anyway, so it's the same thing and no issues there. Have done remote office as far away as Australia, that posed a few challenges due to time differences, but nothing too major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

In the past I have worked in some roles exclusively from home( I'm in IT) and found it has its advantages and disadvantages. These are

Advantages:
    - No commute
    - Cuts down on pointless meetings to an extent (you still have to be available for some meeting via webex, skype etc)
    - Saves money both on commute and lunch etc
    - Easier to focus especially on coding as a software developer
    - Can be a little more flexible in some ways

Disadvantages:
    - Not around your work colleagues. I realise a lot of people might like this, but I also like to have a chat and a bit of craic at work, hard to do this on your own!
    - You’re never away from work. Very easy to slip into a habit where your checking emails at 7 or 8 in the evening.
    - Less breaks – not sure if other are like this, but I end up working a lot more when at home
    - Your daily routines can start to slip. Had many days when I got up, quickly checked some emails, intending to then go for shower, breakfast etc. Come 1pm I am still working, no personal grooming done, it’s easy to slip into bad habits like this.
    - Miss out on internal conversations. Some of the most important things you can learn in a company can be via informal chats, when you’re not in the office sometimes can feel a bit out of the loop
    - Parents/in laws – if they are visiting, they just don’t seem to understand that you’re working no matter how many times you tell em and they constantly interrupt. Ideas for the houses, kids etc. It might be just my relations though!

Overall, I think a mix of in office and the option of being able to work at home for a couple of days a week is best for me, but everyone is different.

I've had similar experiences over the years and I'd agree fully with the pros and cons.
    An option or a mix of options is probably the idea scenario for those whose role where it is possible to work from home.

Personally at this stage I am happier to work "in the office" as opposed to have the option - primarily because segregation of spaces is absolutely no harm and I do enjoy the social aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Strumms wrote: »
    Invading my personal, family, social life and space with their work, mindset etc....

For many people, that train has already left the station. Many employees already respond to email and do other kinds of work on laptops and phones in the evenings and on weekends, so the home is already not a sacrosanct work-free space. Also, this thread shows that many people see their office as a social environment as well as a work environment. As people's work lives permeate the home and their social lives permeate the workplace, rigid boundaries have been dissolved — that is just modern life, and so there's no point in complaining about the evil corporations "invading" your personal space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It does not work in practice. Yes people can physically work from a remote station set up anywhere in cyberspace, but the reality is that working from home is a duvet day. The home worker does nothing, nothing productive happens.

It is feasible in task orientated job specifications. If you are required to complete 15 set tasks a day it is immediately quantifiable. But most IT work is not necessarily task driven, so as such it won't work.

The IT giants want you in their big offices, for the time being anyway. In particular in Ireland the large HQ's are merely rented to give the perception of tangibility to their tax plans. They are only here for the 12.5 %. Any talk of an online office is PR waffle.

i mean

working from home is working from home

your company calling you on your day off is not that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Realistically nobody needs to be in an office in this day and age. Maybe in rare cases

So imagine you need to apply for a council house, and have an interview about your housing needs. You think it's ok to do that in a housing officer's private kitchen - maybe with their kids if housemates in the background? Or in a co-working hub with random other workers in the same room?

Amazon and the like who do WFH insist on a separate lockable office. Irish houses just aren't built for that - much less to have two people doing it at the same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

So imagine you need to apply for a council house, and have an interview about your housing needs. You think it's ok to do that in a housing officer's private kitchen - maybe with their kids if housemates in the background? Or in a co-working hub with random other workers in the same room?

Amazon and the like who do WFH insist on a separate lockable office. Irish houses just aren't built for that - much less to have two people doing it at the same time.

Read the second last word in my post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It does not work in practice. Yes people can physically work from a remote station set up anywhere in cyberspace, but the reality is that working from home is a duvet day. The home worker does nothing, nothing productive happens.

It is feasible in task orientated job specifications. If you are required to complete 15 set tasks a day it is immediately quantifiable. But most IT work is not necessarily task driven, so as such it won't work.

The IT giants want you in their big offices, for the time being anyway. In particular in Ireland the large HQ's are merely rented to give the perception of tangibility to their tax plans. They are only here for the 12.5 %. Any talk of an online office is PR waffle.

How are so many doing it so, more so the one or two day a week people complete remote working is a different thing.

• Advertisement

Well that's just nonsense.

mariaalice wrote: »
    How are so many doing it so, more so the one or two day a week people complete remote working is a different thing.

Cause they are their bosses favourites and they are spoilt and over paid.

I would estimate about 1 in 7 workers can be properly trusted to work from home off their own initiative. The rest need parenting, pure and simple.

As I said, the big IT giants are only set up in Ireland for the favourable tax breaks, albeit they get a well educated workforce. The biggest irony is that most skilled Irish workers work elsewhere because the wages are better.

The big HQ's down in the docks are only there to give the perception of operational tangibility to appease the hungry EU tax junckies. They want all the money to pay for bicycle lanes and develop legislation to stop you eating burgers on a Friday, unless you pay double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

It has Pros and Cons

Personally, I enjoy it short term if it's no longer than a week. Any longer than that I start myself feeling quite isolated and insular. Having to get washed and dressed for work is a routine a lot of people abandon once they don't have to be seen by anybody, I noticed after a few days that I started to neglect my appearance and my mood started dropping low.

If I was given the option of 1 day a week, I'd take it no bother. It's especially handy if you're expecting a delivery to arrive when you'd normally be in work and can't get it delivered to there.

Also, the less cars on the road in the mornings, the better. I understand working from home is obviously not possible in every profession or useful for some people on a personal level, so for them a comute to work with less people jamming up the roads and eating into their time would be a big plus.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

While remote working in the one is great, and some would love it, there has to be a separation from home and work too. It could start to easily encroach on time that you shouldn't have to be be working.

Now, if companies got together and put in hubs around the countries with hot desks that employees could work at, and have some shared services, that would allow remote working, but also separate home life from work life.

kippy wrote: »
    Well that's just nonsense.

That sounds like a statement from someone who is used to working from home.

As in , " I think that is quite a lazy statement " , just in case you can't cop on to what I am saying.

Everything you don't agree with has to be a lot more than nonsense ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Quite an appropriate username - you're talking some sh*t.

I know a lot of people that work from home and they must be doing something productive because they've been working from home for years.

Weepsie wrote: »
    While remote working in the one is great, and some would love it, there has to be a separation from home and work too. It could start to easily encroach on time that you shouldn't have to be be working.

Now, if companies got together and put in hubs around the countries with hot desks that employees could work at, and have some shared services, that would allow remote working, but also separate home life from work life.

I like this idea a lot, however it needs to be tested. You essentially have this model with shared office workspace. But it does run in to issues such as insurance and security. For example the banks don't want their loan officers spread out all over the country, etc. on different sites which they have no control over, it could get messy.

But I do like the concept, I just struggle to see it catching on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

For many people, that train has already left the station. Many employees already respond to email and do other kinds of work on laptops and phones in the evenings and on weekends, so the home is already not a sacrosanct work-free space. Also, this thread shows that many people see their office as a social environment as well as a work environment. As people's work lives permeate the home and their social lives permeate the workplace, rigid boundaries have been dissolved — that is just modern life, and so there's no point in complaining about the evil corporations "invading" your personal space.

Except that for many people, work is kept strictly in the workplace and they keep it that way. It’s not complaining. They just endeavour to keep the two separate and succeed.

marvin80 wrote: »

I know a lot of people that work from home and they must be doing something productive because they've been working from home for years.

Thanks for the abuse, I hope you got something out of it.

As I said about 1 in 7 are getting their jobs done. If your job is task orientated, it is feasible. But 6 out of 7 workers need proper supervision and proper management. Otherwise they end up running around like headless chickens, not following the strategic plan and possibly abusing their positions.

Favourites will be given a few days a month to keep them on side, make sure they won't leave etc, But as I said it is just a day off. They will sit down and handle a few e-mails and make a few calls. Just the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

marvin80 wrote: »

Same here. Friends of mine have done so for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Thanks for the abuse, I hope you got something out of it.

As I said about 1 in 7 are getting their jobs done. If your job is task orientated, it is feasible. But 6 out of 7 workers need proper supervision and proper management. Otherwise they end up running around like headless chickens, not following the strategic plan and possibly abusing their positions.

Favourites will be given a few days a month to keep them on side, make sure they won't leave etc, But as I said it is just a day off. They will sit down and handle a few e-mails and make a few calls. Just the basics.

Jesus you must work with some very poor quality teams.

hots wrote: »
    Jesus you must work with some very poor quality teams.

Why would you care?

I don't have the issue because the only " homework " my teams are doing is when they are at home. They get well looked after and they are all more than happy to turn up for work.

I usually ease out any wasters who start barking for " working from home " after 6 months, most businesses can't afford it.

As I already iterated, the big IT giants are only here for the tax breaks , dovetailed with the opportunity to have a well educated workforce. All their serious operational work is handled by consultants anyway, on a price basis.

Thousands of serious IT professionals work from home, they are programming and coding etc. They get paid as per what they produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Working from home would highlight how many people get their jobs done in less than 40 hours. The current desk-bound environment sees a significant number of people just sitting hours away because they are done with their workload.
    I get why empty hours and long commutes break people.

I appreciate it doesn't work for every field but people's behavior is changing thanks to the internet and remote work is going to be increasingly important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Cause they are their bosses favourites and they are spoilt and over paid.

I would estimate about 1 in 7 workers can be properly trusted to work from home off their own initiative. The rest need parenting, pure and simple.

As I said, the big IT giants are only set up in Ireland for the favourable tax breaks, albeit they get a well educated workforce. The biggest irony is that most skilled Irish workers work elsewhere because the wages are better.

The big HQ's down in the docks are only there to give the perception of operational tangibility to appease the hungry EU tax junckies. They want all the money to pay for bicycle lanes and develop legislation to stop you eating burgers on a Friday, unless you pay double.

1 in 7. Not on my team. They generally only come to me if there is problem. Otherwise I rarely if ever have to ask if something is done. I can check or it will be done as they are adults and do the job they are paid for.

Why would you care?

I don't have the issue because the only " homework " my teams are doing is when they are at home. They get well looked after and they are all more than happy to turn up for work.

I usually ease out any wasters who start barking for " working from home " after 6 months, most businesses can't afford it.

As I already iterated, the big IT giants are only here for the tax breaks , dovetailed with the opportunity to have a well educated workforce. All their serious operational work is handled by consultants anyway, on a price basis.

Thousands of serious IT professionals work from home, they are programming and coding etc. They get paid as per what they produce.

So are you just saying you're surrounded by wasters? Like you said, loads of good professionals manage it... Maybe it's you should take a management course or something if you feel the need to babysit in person.

• Advertisement

1 in 7. Not on my team. They generally only come to me if there is problem. Otherwise I rarely if ever have to ask if something is done. I can check or it will be done as they are adults and do the job they are paid for.

I am delighted for you, genuinely.

Do you think you are optimising your staff's production and output?

Can you evaluate what they are doing?

It's quite easy to evaluate if you are in the right field. I'll guess that the majority of ppl who WRH are not in anyway customer facing (Email, phone or face to face)

For the record, there is a group called Grow Remote (may already have been mentioned on this thread) whose aim is to promote remote work - with companies that offer remote work already, and to assist companies that don't offer remote work in offering workers the option to work remotely. (They have a site and a Facebook page)

I've been to a few talks they are worth going to if this is something you'd like to look into a bit more.

I've seen "digital hubs" mentioned the past few posts as well and it's something that is gaining traction for "remote workers" so that they can meet up once a week or work from there if they don't have a decent spot at home to work from.

These things are what will help some of rural ireland and smaller towns and villages survive into the future.
    There are a lot of companies out there who don't have a traditional office presence in Ireland at all who only hire "remote workers".

So are you just saying you're surrounded by wasters? Like you said, loads of good professionals manage it... Maybe it's you should take a management course or something if you feel the need to babysit in person.

Maybe I should, thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You sound like something from the dark satanic mills it 2019 your job is not to stand over someone and make them work and wonder if they could work harder something that is very hard to qualify anyway, are yo trollng?

As per all the new management programs the manager's job is to say ...is there any way I can support you to do you job :pac:

• Advertisement

That sounds like a statement from someone who is used to working from home.

As in , " I think that is quite a lazy statement " , just in case you can't cop on to what I am saying.

Everything you don't agree with has to be a lot more than nonsense ?

I haven't worked from home in a few years tbh, and it was only one role in my entire career I had the opportunity to do so, however as I said above, I'd prefer to work out of the office.

But to suggest that working from home is a "Duvet Day" is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Weepsie wrote: »

Read up on wework. Some sociopath masquerading as a hippy took an existing business model and dressed it up in flowery language that appeals to people well versed in twitter speak. Pure sh1t show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Of course I can evaluate what they are doing. I don't need to babysit them as they are all very good at their jobs. A bit of guidance or support rather then sitting on their backs.
    You may need to revaluate your staff if that's needed. Also I don't need my manager around to do work, I am not a child.

mariaalice wrote: »
    You sound like something from the dark satanic mills it 2019 your job is not to stand over someone and make them work and wonder if they could work harder something that is very hard to qualify anyway, are yo trollng?

As per all the new management programs the manager's job is to say ...is there any way I can support you to do you job :pac:

This sounds very ideal.

There is a difference between the textbook and reality, especially when it comes to staff motivation.

Staff are a bit like an orange, if you don't peel them correctly you will spill their juice all over the floor. Alternatively you can cut right through them, it depends on how you need them.

Or buy an industrial squeezer and just juice them. Save the rind for marmalade.

This sounds very ideal.

There is a difference between the textbook and reality, especially when it comes to staff motivation.

Staff are a bit like an orange, if you don't peel them correctly you will spill their juice all over the floor. Alternatively you can cut right through them, it depends on how you need them.

WOW

That's a new one for me. I'm scarlet for ye

This sounds very ideal.

There are entire companies - a number of whom have a presence in ireland, whose employees work entirely from home.
    It's a wonder they exist at all.

This sounds very ideal.

ah keep it subtle at least.

There are entire companies - a number of whom have a presence in ireland, whose employees work entirely from home.
    It's a wonder they exist at all.

Name me 5. I believe you by the way. But name me 5.

Partnerships who have worked together for 20 years and are saving on rent charges and insurance don't count btw.

This discussion is about large companies, I think.

ah keep it subtle at least.

I was going to use a melon , but I didn't want to waste the pips.

Name me 5. I believe you by the way. But name me 5.

Partnerships who have worked together for 20 years and are saving on rent charges and insurance don't count btw.

This discussion is about large companies, I think.

Look,
    You said working from home was a "Duvet Day".

You want to change the goal posts - let me know, but at least admit it's not a "Duvet Day" to the many thousands of people who work from home some or all of their time.

• Advertisement

I was going to use a melon , but I didn't want to waste the pips.

Melons are soft and mushy with not much going on inside, probably a better analogy for your staff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Look,

You want to change the goal posts - let me know, but at least admit it's not a "Duvet Day" to the many thousands of people who work from home some or all of their time.

I think your are taking it too personally

IAMAMORON is not a manager. While their posts try to make you believe they have some type of Authority. they dont.

Look,

Okay … it is a " half day " , while hanging around your couch in your pyjamas until 12 o'clock.

Happy now ?

I think your are taking it too personally

IAMAMORON is not a manager. While their posts try to make you believe they have some type of Authority. they dont.

I don't take it personally, believe me, and definitely not while in After Hours.

I've no problem whether they are a manager or not tbh. Its just a daft thing to say.

Melons are soft and mushy with not much going on inside, probably a better analogy for your staff :D

Sometimes melons are coarse, hard and tasteless.

A bit like your posts.

Oranges can be bitter also.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I don't take it personally, believe me, and definitely not while in After Hours.

I've no problem whether they are a manager or not tbh. Its just a daft thing to say.

Yep but Its to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I live in the US and work from home at least once a week at this stage. Its something that is being actively encouraged at the moment, but its also acknowledged that its not suitable for some jobs within the company and its not mandatory. Some people don;t like it at all, others take full advantage of it, particularly those with long commutes. Some even do it full time without any issues

Personally, I find I'm very productive with the one or two days at home. Get some extra sleep, no stress or wasted time with the commute, and can have a relaxing breakfast/ lunch without having to go too far. In general, I'm in better form to do my job. And I will relax and stick on the TV later in the afternoon if I've everything done that's needed on that day

The other side of this is if I had to work from home all the time, which I always thought would be the ideal. Due to extreme weather last January, I stayed at home for an entire week. Now things weren't helped by the fact that I could barely set foot outside due to the cold, but thats as close to cabin fever I've ever gotten I'd say

Overall its a very positive thing to give people an option. Its the way the world is going, and in one of my previous roles where I managed people, easy enough to spot and deal with those who are slacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is there not a risk of increasing social isolation, though? It all sounds great but this idea of encouraging more people to spend less time around others would probably have its own set of consequences.
    There are a number of valid concerns around home working.

Social isolation is one. We see from other threads that lots of people are the "I don't need to make friends in work" type. But not everyone is.
    But there's also a balance here - if I'm at home, and my neighbours are at home, and other people I know, are at home, then the socialising opportunities are increased.

But it is an issue to be aware of and plan for.

Obesity is another. What little exercise some people get making the trip to work, will be wiped out. For people like me, being at home gives me more time to get out and exercise, but for many it'll mean even more hours sitting on their holes.

There's also an economic issue. If (say) the number of people living and working in the city centre is reduced by 25%, there's a knock-on effect on local businesses. Cafés, shops, taxis, etc will all see their revenues drop by 25% (or more), resulting in closures and job losses, and such.
    But in this case we have to look at the big picture. There'll be a balancing increase in economic activity outside of the city. In dying rural towns there'll be more people looking to go out to a cafe at lunchtime, making a trip down the local shops for bread instead of a supermarket on their way home, etc. No, that's not fair on the people in the places that close, but that alone isn't really a compelling reason. They'll find new work. If this is phased on slowly enough, they'll have time to forward-plan.

Increasing rates of home working has the potential to completely change a country and a society.

Cities will no longer be a divining rod for companies. If a company can work almost entirely remotely, then it can stick its HQ in Portlaoise and still get all the staff it needs.

If companies are no longer drawn to the cities, neither will people. If I can live in rural Wicklow and work for a company in Donegal without having to travel, then I don't need to move to Donegal. Or Cork. Or Dublin.

Less centralised property demands = lower property prices

More people living outside of cities = lower cost of living = lower wages = more businesses

More people at home during the day, equals;
    - Less crime
    - Greater local economic activity
    - Better local social opportunities

Work opportunities being available remotely means;
    - More young people staying where they grew up
    - More people moving to rural Ireland, revitalising dying towns
    - Less people clamouring to live in cities means that people who can't work remotely can afford to live near to where they work. Everyone wins.

Parents being at home during the day limits the amount of childcare required. Stops this nightmare of dropping kids off at 6am and picking them up at 7pm.

Less people having to drive to work means fewer road deaths and less drink-driving

Plus hundreds of other positives.

For most of human history, people have worked near to where they lived (or lived near to where they worked). The 30 minute+ commute is a recent phenomenon, which we know has a really deleterious effect mentally, socially, economically and ecologically. It's time to start bringing it to end.

I live in the US and work from home at least once a week at this stage. Its something that is being actively encouraged at the moment, but its also acknowledged that its not suitable for some jobs within the company and its not mandatory. Some people don;t like it at all, others take full advantage of it, particularly those with long commutes. Some even do it full time without any issues

Personally, I find I'm very productive with the one or two days at home. Get some extra sleep, no stress or wasted time with the commute, and can have a relaxing breakfast/ lunch without having to go too far. In general, I'm in better form to do my job. And I will relax and stick on the TV later in the afternoon if I've everything done that's needed on that day

The other side of this is if I had to work from home all the time, which I always thought would be the ideal. Due to extreme weather last January, I stayed at home for an entire week. Now things weren't helped by the fact that I could barely set foot outside due to the cold, but thats as close to cabin fever I've ever gotten I'd say

Overall its a very positive thing to give people an option. Its the way the world is going, and in one of my previous roles where I managed people, easy enough to spot and deal with those who are slacking

Definitely the extra hour or so in bed in the morning once or twice a week is great, a useful or genuine lunch time too, and relaxing as soon as you clock off. I also find I get less unneeded interruptions wfh, so I store up my 'proper' work for wfh days at times when I'm left in peace and quiet. Better coffee and some nice speakers at home are a plus too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I agree but, when you are home your choice is to...

1) turn work mobile off when work is done
    2) NEVER answer you personal mobile to the job or an ‘unknown’ or ‘hidden’ number.
    3) all other work equipment is off too, ie. laptop and PC the MOMENT you finish work.

You have to be rigid, when the boss says ... “ is it ok if I contact you tonight if ? “... your answer... “well I’m going to a concert, not going to be able to hear ya”... for you and your colleagues...DONT get dragged into this ‘always contactable on call’ crap...

Advertisement