Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panel Lid Tamper

Options
  • 12-12-2019 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi,
    I stupidly opened the alarm box in the bathroom, alarm will not arm now as it's giving the error of "panel lid tamper"
    I know there's a spring behind the lid that makes that connection right but how do you solve the arming problem?
    It's a pretty generic alarm fitted to all houses in the estate early 2000's
    Direct Secure are the guys who fitted it but before I call them out any members got any ideas?
    Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Did you disconnect anything in the control panel.
    If not it could be just the spring not closing correctly. If you have another person to help you try holding the spring in to confirm everything closes.
    Can you confirm the make of the panel?
    Some systems may require a tamper to be reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

KoolKid wrote: »
    Did you disconnect anything in the control panel.
    If not it could be just the spring not closing correctly. If you have another person to help you try holding the spring in to confirm everything closes.
    Can you confirm the make of the panel?
    Some systems may require a tamper to be reset.
    The alarm is HKC.
    I can override the setting by pressing hash on the keyboard once arming and it inhibits the panel which is fine for the time being.

When I opened the lid fully I heard something fall or drop, could not see anything in the box that looked out of place until I saw a bunch of coiled wires, circled in red, I think this was used to influence the spring somehow as it may of been this that I heard make a noise when I opened the lid.
    2vh9Xvm

Are the tamper reset codes generic?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The coiled up wires should not make any difference. The spring to the left is the tamper spring. If you hold that in does the tamper fault disappear?

KoolKid wrote: »
    The coiled up wires should not make any difference. The spring to the left is the tamper spring. If you hold that in does the tamper fault disappear?
    I'll have to wait until I have someone in the house with me to check the display panel in the hall as I can't see both at the same time. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Zooming in on the photo, there appears to be some sort of plastic insert in the top of the spring, which leads me to suspect that there was some sort of protruding pad on there, which is now broken off and was likely the thing you heard fall when you opened the box.
    If this is correct, the spring is now not long enough and the box lid no longer operates the switch, giving rise to the fault.
    All this is speculation of course, based on zooming in on the photo.

• Advertisement

Melodeon wrote: »
    Zooming in on the photo, there appears to be some sort of plastic insert in the top of the spring, which leads me to suspect that there was some sort of protruding pad on there, which is now broken off and was likely the thing you heard fall when you opened the box.
    If this is correct, the spring is now not long enough and the box lid no longer operates the switch, giving rise to the fault.
    All this is speculation of course, based on zooming in on the photo.

Knowing nothing about alarms and how they are fitted etc is the coiled spring meant to be flush to the panel (touching off it) so when you take the panel off it protrudes further that then sets it off? is that the idea of the tamper? honestly there was/is nothing in the box that could of came from that spring.
    I thought that the coiled wires were used to either wedge the spring and the lid together or the wires coiled around the spring added some weight to it so when the lid was removed it recoiled or moved hence setting the alarm off.
    mmmmm
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The square switch with the spring is the lid tamper sensor.
    When you press on the end of the spring you should feel (and likely hear) a definite and pronounce 'click' from the switch.
    When the lid is on, it pushes against the spring which activates the switch, which tells the system that the lid is in place.
    With the lid off, lay a straight edge between the top and bottom outer edges of the box, and the spring (or something attached to it) should protrude a little bit beyond the edge.
    If it doesn't, there's something missing/broken.

It's entirely possible I suppose that some mullocker was in there previously, broke or mislaid something or only had on hand an incorrect spring, and got creative with that bundle of wires you indicated to take up the slack and make the system functional enough to call the job done as far as they were concerned.

Melodeon wrote: »
    some mullocker was in there previously, broke or mislaid something or only had on hand an incorrect spring, and got creative with that bundle of wires you indicated to take up the slack and make the system functional enough to call the job done as far as they were concerned.

This ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :)

I think that's very possible, the way those houses were thrown together I'd expect the same for the alarm, next doors place was freezing last year, checked up in the loft for insulation, was there alright, still rolled up and in its plastic. The boom builders had some craic in 2005 what with the sh!t they threw together and then called a house.

Advertisement