Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period query

Options
  • 12-12-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

So I was offered a new job there at the end of November. I told my current employer the next day. I met with my manager 2-3 days later. My current job has a notice period of 1 month, which would be during the holidays. I have accepted the new offer and start in mid January.

My current employer wanted me to stay until the end of February. I emailed my manager on 2nd of December, saying I would be back for a week after Christmas for a handover, which takes me to 10th January, which I think was fair. Anyways cue yesterday where my manager came to the office with Christmas bonus vouchers to all the staff bar myself.

I'm there longer than 95% of the staff and feel let down. Fair enough I'm leaving but a thanks for the years efforts would be nice. I know they aren't obliged to give anything.

Would I be within my rights to finish up next Friday as we aren't back until the 6th of January. It's over the month even though shorter than what I said I'd do? I'd rather leave on good terms but that's not looking likely at the minute
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hand in your notice whenever you want and your 30 days will kick in then.

You'll probably be leaving on bad terms, but feck'em. It's already gone sour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I don't have any advice but I think that was a ****ty thing they did with the bonus voucher. Surely you were entitled to one as it was for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you haven’t handed in notice in writing then the month has not started yet.

Your manager is mean spirited with the vouchers, it’s petty and indeed I would be thinking of leaving as soon as is possible.

Depending on your job and how long you are there I would be thinking of giving 14days notice and leave at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You could leave earlier depending on when you get paid.
    If you gave your notice and it finishes mid holidays then don't bother going back for a week handover.

You could email your manager to say that unfortunately you are not in a position to be able to work an additional week past your notice date. And in the next sentence day you were disappointed after working longer than other staff members to not receive the bonus.

No tie in but lines can be read between.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Would I be within my rights to finish up next Friday as we aren't back until the 6th of January. It's over the month even though shorter than what I said I'd do?
    No. Your contract notice is the minimum notice needed. You gave an exit date that was over that minimum. You can't change that exit date (unless the new date is more than the minimum notice away). Let me put it another way: imagine the company said your position was being made redundant in 60 days time. After 30 days, they said "we've changed our minds, we're letting you go now, we've already given you 30 days notice" - that wouldn't fly.

Of course, that's just from a contractual perspective. They're not going to be able to stop you from walking out the door tomorrow if you choose, but of course you wave goodbye to any hope of a reference, and theoretically they could sue you for breach of contract (unlikely, but not impossible).

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

happened to me a couple of years ago. Handed in my notice on the 1st of December to finish at the end of the month. Boss asked me to stay till the end of Jan to so they could find a replacement a do a hand over.

The Christmas party was the last working Friday of the year. Everyone brought to the main floor and one by one vouchers given out (€500). C. 70 space got one except me. I was the only one who didn't. Wished them well and left without ever setting foot in the place again.

Took 6 months to find a replacement and with no handover clients came to me to fill the void. That €500 snub cost them c. €150,000 in fees.

28064212 wrote: »
    No. Your contract notice is the minimum notice needed. You gave an exit date that was over that minimum. You can't change that exit date (unless the new date is more than the minimum notice away). Let me put it another way: imagine the company said your position was being made redundant in 60 days time. After 30 days, they said "we've changed our minds, we're letting you go now, we've already given you 30 days notice" - that wouldn't fly.

Of course, that's just from a contractual perspective. They're not going to be able to stop you from walking out the door tomorrow if you choose, but of course you wave goodbye to any hope of a reference, and theoretically they could sue you for breach of contract (unlikely, but not impossible).

If o was OP I’d be giving the minimum statutory notice required after the mean way they behaved over the voucher.

Companies are taking the perverbial over excessive notice requirements in contracts.

For a non critical employee the statutory notice is fine, and op jas another job so stuff them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

I would be very sick after that - too sick to attend work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

rock22 wrote: »
    I would be very sick after that - too sick to attend work

Company probably won’t have to pay for sick days either.

As for the vouchers ..why would anyone expect to receive a bonus when they are on the way out the door !!!

Just walk. Tell the on the last day before Christmas that that’s for the bonus and head out the door. Enjoy the bit of time off before starting the new job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭raxy

whippet wrote: »

As for the vouchers ..why would anyone expect to receive a bonus when they are on the way out the door !!!

Maybe because a bonus is a recognition of the work for the past year? Or perhaps that he was willing to work longer than the required notice period.
    I've seen plenty of people hand in notices & the managers basically black list them & act as if they don't exist. Gives a bad impression to the other staff. People move on, no need to get petty over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Thanks for all the replies, I'll wait out until pay day in the off chance something is coming but I doubt it. I left a company before at Christmas and still got the annual gift voucher.
    The general consensus seems to match that of my wife and friends, I don't like leaving on bad terms as it's a small industry, but in this case I probably will.
    I'll update at the end of the week!

Well, got the payslip and nothing. I'm heading out the door on Friday morning and good luck to them. I've managed to pull my start date in January forward as well so happy days.

It's just a bit petty, we made the company a fortune (in the hundreds of thousands) on a job, by cutting corners, ignoring stuff here and there to get done ahead of programme. In the industry as we are salaried, the small gift at christmas goes to make up for the weekends working for free, and the 12/14 hour days. To see guys get vouchers first and then bonuses yesterday, made the decision very easy.

Well, got the payslip and nothing. I'm heading out the door on Friday morning and good luck to them. I've managed to pull my start date in January forward as well so happy days.

It's just a bit petty, we made the company a fortune (in the hundreds of thousands) on a job, by cutting corners, ignoring stuff here and there to get done ahead of programme. In the industry as we are salaried, the small gift at christmas goes to make up for the weekends working for free, and the 12/14 hour days. To see guys get vouchers first and then bonuses yesterday, made the decision very easy.

It was short sighted of them. Everything in work is give and take. Enjoy your new job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

In my experience it is very common that you don't get the bonus/benefits once you give notice. Learn the lesson for the next time - Resign in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Sounds like your better off out of that company if that's how they behave. Could you air your grievance at the person over your boss.
    Explain how long you've been there, how you added value, offered to work out the notice and feel very let down that others got bonus etc and you were omitted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Esse85 wrote: »
    Sounds like your better off out of that company if that's how they behave. Could you air your grievance at the person over your boss.
    Explain how long you've been there, how you added value, offered to work out the notice and feel very let down that others got bonus etc and you were omitted.

And they are going to give you free money, why exactly? There is no obligation on a company to do so and if they have the cash then the are better off spending it on the people who remain loyal to them, rather that someone who has decided to go else where. Better keep the guys you have happy and let them see actions have consequences.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And they are going to give you free money, why exactly? There is no obligation on a company to do so and if they have the cash then the are better off spending it on the people who remain loyal to them, rather that someone who has decided to go else where. Better keep the guys you have happy and let them see actions have consequences.

No, but there are decent companies that would give you the bonus for work done even though they don’t by the letter. Better to not work for a company that isn’t decent if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

That is pretty crappy considering effort put in on company behalf but unfortunately it is a petty response to you wanting to move on.

Have you told them you leaving friday instead of original date given ? If so how have they responded?

Also i would not do hand over or train anyone considering what they have now done. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

Na in waiting until tomorrow evening or Friday morning. To be honest if they had of said to me, look because your leaving we can't justify it, I wouldn't have minded as much. I like to leave on good terms but won't be in this case, roll on Friday!

I feel for the guys on the ground but have spoken to them on the Qt and they understand. Don't like leaving them in the lurch but it's about time I looked after myself first and look forward to next year and new beginnings

• Advertisement

Roll up friday morning, hand in ur badge and stroll out again :D

The day has landed, told the guy above me at work yesterday, he wasn't happy but said he would have done the same. The manager didn't take it too well, but I'm a very happy man this morning. Apparently I was called everything under the sun, buck them.
    I also found out this same guy when interviewing one of the girls told her not to be getting pregnant any time soon. That's the kind of him so I'm better off in the long run. My new employer is rearranging things to let me start earlier so that's a good start already I think.
    Happy Christmas everyone!

I would be declining to attend any attempt at an exit interview also, you made your point already with how you are leaving, they would use this as an opportunity to try say stuff back and be petty so deny them that opportunity.

Bet it was so satisfying doing that, and based on what you said about interviewing and getting pregnant, they fall a far cry from the requirements with discriminatory practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I would be declining to attend any attempt at an exit interview also, you made your point already with how you are leaving, they would use this as an opportunity to try say stuff back and be petty so deny them that opportunity.

Bet it was so satisfying doing that, and based on what you said about interviewing and getting pregnant, they fall a far cry from the requirements with discriminatory practices.

Many posters have said they don’t give their current employers as referees, rather using previous employers/managers. Would you be at all concerned about the impact on a reference and that most valuable of conversations, the off the record chat.

I’m all for leaving jobs on good terms, a bonus is discretionary and not all companies see it necessary to reward an employee who is finishing days after it is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dav010 wrote: »
    Many posters have said they don’t give their current employers as referees, rather using previous employers/managers. Would you be at all concerned about the impact on a reference and that most valuable of conversations, the off the record chat.

I’m all for leaving jobs on good terms, a bonus is discretionary and not all companies see it necessary to reward an employee who is finishing days after it is paid.

Most places just give start date and end date references these days. Why anyone would let that concern them is beyond me

listermint wrote: »
    Most places just give start date and end date references these days. Why anyone would let that concern them is beyond me

The written form shouldn’t, but the call prospective employers make to the former employer/manager and that most piercing of questions “would you hire him again”, might.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dav010 wrote: »
    The written form shouldn’t, but the call prospective employers make to the former employer/manager and that most piercing of questions “would you hire him again”, might.

Not allowed do that on larger companies. Call can only be given to HR

Of course that is the way it works in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thats what the paper says, yes.

However in practice it is a little different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

But why would anyone give a name and number of a referee that was likely to give a poor reference?

Advertisement