Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period query

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

But why would anyone give a name and number of a referee that was likely to give a poor reference?
    Exactly. They won't.
    So a new hiring company may infer from this that the guy couldnt get a reference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

ELM327 wrote: »
    Exactly. They won't.
    So a new hiring company may infer from this that the guy couldnt get a reference

It’s been a while since I changed jobs but I’ve only been asked for a personal reference ie from a previous manager, never from the actual company itself.

Do hiring companies expect a reference from an employer as well?

I should add that all bar my previous employer have shut (large financial institutions) so there’s no company to check with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It’s been a while since I changed jobs but I’ve only been asked for a personal reference ie from a previous manager, never from the actual company itself.

Do hiring companies expect a reference from an employer as well?

I should add that all bar my previous employer have shut (large financial institutions) so there’s no company to check with.

No, you get a reference from your prior manager. If you can't get one, or the manager doesn't give a glowing endorsement to the "would you hire this person again" question then it's a defacto negative reference - because they did not say anything positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

The OP has already got a new job..... no need for a reference.

Best of luck with the new job Arsebiscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ronin247 wrote: »
    The OP has already got a new job..... no need for a reference.

Best of luck with the new job Arsebiscuit.

It’s the next job when the previous rather than current employer/manager can help/hinder. Put simply, the next time the op moves job, leaving on good terms now could help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hi Arse biscuit. Is there any chance that they have a bigger present lined up for you on exit?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Hi Arse biscuit. Is there any chance that they have a bigger present lined up for you on exit?

Very much doubt they had, I'm gone from them now, a nice 2 week break ahead of me before starting afresh on the 6th. I'd say it's the longest I'll be out of work, works out nicely that it's holiday time!

The fear of this ‘leaving on good terms’ is why most employers think they can walk across the top of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Very much doubt they had, I'm gone from them now, a nice 2 week break ahead of me before starting afresh on the 6th. I'd say it's the longest I'll be out of work, works out nicely that it's holiday time!

Do you have an exit interview?
    I'd throw that in at the end that you felt very undervalued and underappreciated not getting the Christmas bonus and you think it was bad form.
    Smells of Scrooge.
    Enjoy the 2 weeks off now, don't even give a thought to the place.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jim2007 wrote: »
    In my experience it is very common that you don't get the bonus/benefits once you give notice. Learn the lesson for the next time - Resign in January.

In the exact same situation but I am not working beyond my date, I have offered to help ie answer my phone to their customers/staff after I leave and train in new people for my role outside of my new jobs hours.

I have received 50% of my bonus and my voucher and I fully expect the 2nd 50% after year end financials are in.

Its in their best interests I get that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement