Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sane enough to smuggle self to Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Buttonftw wrote: »

Did you read the article?
    During the trial two consultant psychiatrists gave evidence that Mr Morei was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia at the time and did not know that what he was doing was wrong and was unable to refrain from his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Buttonftw wrote: »

You're the expert on paranoid schizophrenia are ya. Do enlighten us.

It must have been fairly compelling evidence if it only took the jury twenty-four minutes to deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭ollkiller

It must have been fairly compelling evidence if it only took the jury twenty-four minutes to deliberate.

Seemingly so. There's been two cases in recent memory in Mayo where i'm from where someone with paranoid schizophrenia have murdered people and the same has happened where the verdict was done very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

ollkiller wrote: »
    Seemingly so. There's been two cases in recent memory in Mayo where i'm from where someone with paranoid schizophrenia have murdered people and the same has happened where the verdict was done very quickly.

It's a long sentence in the Central Mental Hospital by the way. He is very unlikely to spend less time in custody than he would have if convicted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,353 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hmmm. Amazing how this was not picked up well before now in his Home Country or even when he came along the road to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hmmm. Amazing how this was not picked up well before now in his Home Country or even when he came along the road to here.

And you are qualified to make that statement based on your in dept knowledge of the Egyptian Health System?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe read re the nature and manifestations of this illness; and look at health care resources where he came from. Ireland is more au fait and skilled, clearly. Wonder how many really sick folk were executed in times gone by too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Very strange story.
    Det Insp Martin Beggy told the jury that when arrested following the stabbings Mr Morei shouted: “I’m from Syria”, banged a table and repeatedly shouted “Isis” and “Daesh”, another word used to describe the Islamic State.
    The accused said, “yes” when asked if he represented Isis but later said he did not represent anybody. He then said that he killed Mr Sasaki “for God”.
    Insp Beggy said he was satisfied that Mr Morei was born in Egypt and travelled to Europe and then the UK where he applied for asylum. He then went to Belfast where he came into contact with the PSNI and was arrested. He moved to Dundalk in December 2017 and gardarought him to Dublin the following month to process his asylum application. He returned to Dundalk on January 2nd by bus and stabbed Mr Sasaki the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think ‘not guilty by reason of insanity’ is not an easy verdict to secure. And he’ll be sectioned for a long time probably. Can’t schizophrenia develop in one’s 20s with no sign of it beforehand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭bigroad

The UK got rid of him and now we have to look after him for god knows how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

bigroad wrote: »
    The UK got rid of him and now we have to look after him for god knows how long.

It’s a pity we can’t send him back to Egypt, let them deal with their own sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

If he’s so paranoid delusional death by samurai would be the honourable thing. Put him out of his schizopathy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭various artistes

The interesting thing is this.

After initial reports at the time that the attacker had shouted Islamist slogans, the Gardai denied this, and denied there was a terrorist link, somewhere around 24 hours after the incident.

There was no terrorist link in terms that Morei was likely not in direct contact with a controller in Syria. He was not a member of any group and was not sent to Ireland with orders to carry out an attack.

In essence, he was like 98 percent of attackers where the attack is ruled to have been an ISIS attack. Franchised, DIY terrorism, not following orders but rather following the general call to arms.

The Gardai, under orders from the ministry of justice, lied to the media.

NOBODY who drives a car into a crowd, or knifes strangers, while shouting about Allah, is the full shilling. Nobody. This verdict is utterly fraudulent. Mental illness would be to start stabbing friends at a house party while shouting allahu akbar. Not doing so to strangers on the street.

This tool should be in prison, but it's more politically expedient for him to be forgotten in the hospital system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Bobblehats wrote: »
    If he’s so paranoid delusional death by samurai would be the honourable thing. Put him out of his schizopathy

It is not fair to those of us who contribute tax money which funds detention of such an individual. This suggestion is not outrageous in that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I think ‘not guilty by reason of insanity’ is not an easy verdict to secure. And he’ll be sectioned for a long time probably. Can’t schizophrenia develop in one’s 20s with no sign of it beforehand?

Yup. Late teens to early 20s. Happened to a friend of mine. Heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Scum of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Indeed this is exactly what we should do but you know how it is, it ain't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This tool should be in prison, but it's more politically expedient for him to be forgotten in the hospital system.
    The Central Mental Hospital is essentially a prison.

Scum of the earth.

That reminds me.

On the day of the attack I distinctly remember Ruth Coppinger sharing a negative article about the catholic church.

The church are kunts, but that this weapon was so embarrassed at reports that a member of the chosen faith had ran amok in Dundalk roaring allah akbar, that she immediately needed to not only not comment on the attack, but remind the people of Ireland that a religious sect that hasn't wielded any real power since the late 80's were awful bastards way back when.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    . Wonder how many really sick folk were executed in times gone by too

i wonder why its not a better answer tbh

anyway, two consultants agreed with each other, case closed.

jesus i hope if someone stabbed me up on a whim some day that somebody would find a consultant to plead on my behalf, at least make a match of it.

Victor wrote: »
    The Central Mental Hospital is essentially a prison.

Hardly. It's a secure treatment facility, not a place of punishment. This prick would get eaten alive in a real prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Scum of the earth.

Absolutely. Mental illness doesn’t exist. Just people looking for notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's a long sentence in the Central Mental Hospital by the way. He is very unlikely to spend less time in custody than he would have if convicted.

I hope so, a person is dead

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

splinter65 wrote: »

That's an ignorant comment, the man was clearly mentally ill and deserves to be put into the CMH for treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Well one thing for certain in Ireland you can always find a caring home. No matter the method

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭bigroad

Did he only slip into this mental illness when he crossed the border into southern Ireland.

That's an ignorant comment, the man was clearly mentally ill and deserves to be put into the CMH for treatment.

Anyone who commits murder- suicide furthering a political and legal system based on conversations a man claims he had with a God in a Saudi cave 1500 years ago is a bit loopy.

By that logic, if they had been caught before they carried out the attack, should the 9/11 attackers have been sent to a mental home, or prison?

Crashing yourself into buildings because you believe it is right is hardly full shilling behavior, is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

splinter65 wrote: »

I think you just conclusively proved it with your comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Truth be known he should of probably been sent back long before the murder act was committed.

Advertisement