Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSD drive

• 30-09-2019 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all. The HDD is on the way out on the Pro. So I'm gonna upgrade to an SSD and looking for recommendations. Google is great, but I'd rather hear from the people who may have done this already. 1tb is plenty. Links would be great too!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If anyone is interested, I purchased a Samsung 860 QVO 1TB, will update when installed.

So the install went smoothish, took me 3 attempts to get it right as I was downloading the 7.0 update onto USB instead of the 7.0 install file. But once I got that, it was straight forward.

Games are definitely loading a bit quicker, but not a whole pile. Haven't heard the fans take off since either, but that could be me just not noticing. But I do recommend it. Got the SSD for €140 delivered from Komplett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Did you have to replace the original hard drive or is it an external?

Calhoun wrote: »
    Did you have to replace the original hard drive or is it an external?

I replaced the original, I could hear it scraping away inside so I reckon it was on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Makes sense i have a new PS4 Pro but its full at the moment, which is why i was wondering if it was external.

• Advertisement

I know some people with a 1TB external HDD and they have no issues with it. They also seem to think games load quicker off it...

I can confirm there is a definite improvement in the loading for Wreckfest, about 30% less time I reckon.

I was tempted by them myself, but redundancy came in for the previous job so I splashed (but not too much!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi all.

What's the best and most affordable SSD for upgrading PS4 pro?

Many thanks!

• Advertisement

Cheers. Shame its only been a small improvement. A lot of feedback I hear from others has been significantly improved loading times...

I reckon it depends on the game tbh. I did notice a good ~30% improvement on the load times for Wreckfest from disc, but that had long ass loading times anyway, and there is a slight improvement on other games. Then again, aside from Wreckfest, I don't think I'm currently playing anything I was when on the HDD, so maybe not fair to comment on the overall improvement.

I reckon it depends on the game tbh. I did notice a good ~30% improvement on the load times for Wreckfest from disc, but that had long ass loading times anyway, and there is a slight improvement on other games. Then again, aside from Wreckfest, I don't think I'm currently playing anything I was when on the HDD, so maybe not fair to comment on the overall improvement.

Thanks. I've ordered from Amazon UK - €115 delivered - not bad!

Nice, mine was €140 from Komplett, was the cheapest at the time. Even though it's small, I still think it was worth the upgrade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

You'd notice a faster loading time for games stored on a solid state USB hard drive, as the internal hard drive upload/download speeds are throttled by the PS4

Installed mine yesterday and seeing a huge improvement. Notorious dividion 2 map jumping is at least half the time.. happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭polc07

Hi Guys does anyone know if this SSD is compatible with original ps4.
    https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/samsung-ssd-int-1tb-860-qvo-sata/1600356062.prd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

It sure is.

dudeeile wrote: »
    It sure is.
    Hey Dudeeile, have you installed the same one or similiar ?? does it really improve the performance !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

polc07 wrote: »
    Hey Dudeeile, have you installed the same one or similiar ?? does it really improve the performance !!

Yeah I think I threw an EVO into my pro.

Yes it does, I was playing the Witcher and swapped out the hard drives during my playthrough, the load time improvements are noticable and there also seems to be slight increases to overall system performance, it's not a blistering upgrade but if you're in the market for a hdd anyway then it just comes down to budget.

It's also claimed that game install times are quicker.

• Advertisement

dudeeile wrote: »
    Yeah I think I threw an EVO into my pro.

Yes it does, I was playing the Witcher and swapped out the hard drives during my playthrough, the load time improvements are noticable and there also seems to be slight increases to overall system performance, it's not a blistering upgrade but if you're in the market for a hdd anyway then it just comes down to budget.

It's also claimed that game install times are quicker.

Cheers Lad, I've the original ps4, apparently it helps with PUBG!! But is it really worth the hassle for one game, thanks for info 🙂

polc07 wrote: »
    But is it really worth the hassle for one game, thanks for info ��

I've heard that putting an SSD in an OG doesn't really do much, and better off spending that on upgrading to a Pro. Then upgrade that to an SSD down the line! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,140 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was thinking of changing mine to a SSHD.
    They go cheap on CEX.

Just checked Amazon, they have the Seagate FireCuda SSHD for good prices.
    £54.99 for the 1TB and £67.96 for the 2TB.

Advertisement