Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Hire Ireland

Options
  • 12-12-2019 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Posting here as seen a similar question before.

I'll be flying home for xmas and was wondering the best way to avoid crazy holds on the credit card?

When I book the car what insurance options can I choose in-order to just decline all their add-ons etc.

I tried to use my CC cover last time in Dublin and the guy wanted to give me a 5 thousand euro hold :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Buying the full insurance ("Super CDW" or similar which reduces your excess to a very small amount or to zero) from the car hire company is the only way to avoid a large hold. If you go with the standard CDW insurance, they will place a hold equal to the excess, which will be anywhere from several hundred euro to a couple thousand, depending on the car class. If you decline the standard CDW in order to use your credit card's insurance, they will place a hold of several thousand euro on your card to ensure they can collect at least some of what you owe them directly from your card in the event that your insurer refuses to pay out for a claim.

Note that they will still likely place a small hold on your card even with the "Super CDW" coverage, in order to cover potential extras like fuel charges (if you fail to return it with a full tank) or other fees (tolls, tickets, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Thanks. I just want a smooth hassle free pick up and drop off like in the States and Canada. It's a nightmare trying to rent in Europe - feels like they're trying to scam every last cent out of you. I've become such a regular at the Alamo counter here that the lady doesn't even bother asking about add on's etc she knows I'll use my CC cover and return full. From walking in to car keys is minutes.

Just spoke to hertz in Dublin. They say a drivers licence that is at least 1 year old - I have 10 years of driving exp in Ireland. I recently surrendered my Irish licence for a Canadian one meaning it is only a couple of months old. He said this wont be accepted.

Has to be wrong here, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sorry JME nothing in ireland is hassle free.

Had to rent a large SUV coming home last time, never an issue in the States even for the MOST expensive cars. Ireland after a long flight i had to add addition coverage through the credit card company, meant I had to phone the credit car company from Dublin. Painful experience and never will be done again. Ireland is one of the three international countries that credit card insurance is not really accepted for car hre(read the small print)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

NSAman wrote: »
    Sorry JME nothing in ireland is hassle free.

Had to rent a large SUV coming home last time, never an issue in the States even for the MOST expensive cars. Ireland after a long flight i had to add addition coverage through the credit card company, meant I had to phone the credit car company from Dublin. Painful experience and never will be done again. Ireland is one of the three international countries that credit card insurance is not really accepted for car hre(read the small print)

I've never had that issue, I call my credit card company before I go and they send me a .pdf insurance statement that's valid for 60 days. I show that at the rental desk in Dublin and away I go.

• Advertisement

I've never had that issue, I call my credit card company before I go and they send me a .pdf insurance statement that's valid for 60 days. I show that at the rental desk in Dublin and away I go.

You got a nice 5 thousand euro spare for a hold? Sweet.

Any thoughts on my "new" Full Canadian licence? I exchanged a full Irish licence. Wondering if I can rent on it in Ireland or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

jme2010 wrote: »
    You got a nice 5 thousand euro spare for a hold? Sweet.

Any thoughts on my "new" Full Canadian licence? I exchanged a full Irish licence. Wondering if I can rent on it in Ireland or not.

Didn't realize it was a 5k hold on the card.
    But the card has a big limit on it anyway which is why it probably never came up, it's just used for travelling and isn't the day to day card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

jme2010 wrote: »
    Just spoke to hertz in Dublin. They say a drivers licence that is at least 1 year old - I have 10 years of driving exp in Ireland. I recently surrendered my Irish licence for a Canadian one meaning it is only a couple of months old. He said this wont be accepted.

Has to be wrong here, right?

That is their policy, so he's not wrong, but it really depends on whether the guy at the counter can be arsed to check (or would be willing to turn you away and lose the sale over it). In my experience, they rarely actually check, at least as long as you're not a young'un who's clearly an inexperienced driver; rented cars a couple times with my <2 year old Irish license (I'd had a license for the previous couple of decades in the US, but had to get a new one here) from places that said they required a 2+ year old license, and no one said a word.

dennyk wrote: »
    That is their policy, so he's not wrong, but it really depends on whether the guy at the counter can be arsed to check (or would be willing to turn you away and lose the sale over it). In my experience, they rarely actually check, at least as long as you're not a young'un who's clearly an inexperienced driver; rented cars a couple times with my <2 year old Irish license (I'd had a license for the previous couple of decades in the US, but had to get a new one here) from places that said they required a 2+ year old license, and no one said a word.

Thanks, that gives me a little more confidence - I have a copy of my driving history anyway so I'll bring that to show if there is a fuss. I'll also be taking all their additional bull**** insurance they can throw at me. Don't think they'll want to lose that sale. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

I appreciate I’m probably a bit late with this, but what rental firms are holding excessive charges? Is it the Irish and European firms or the ones in America too?

I rent with either enterprise or national and I’ve never had topay for their insurance or has a large hold placed on my credit card.

My American Chase card provides coverage in Ireland. I just mention that to the person at the desk and away I go. I think they may hold $250.

I’ve both a Irish and US license, though all my bookings are through my US license.

• Advertisement

So all went well.

I overheard the guy ahead of me wanting to used his CC as cover - he was told to print out proof of coverage and then a hold of five thousand euro will be placed on his card. He went off in an understandable huff. This is especially an Irish thing.

I went up and told him "give me the easiest option - zero hold/hassle etc when I'm dropping the car off"

All in it was 250 euro for a four day hire all coverage included. Even if I wrote off the car I'd just have to drop the keys and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

Can I ask (and if allowable to post) what firm you used?

Advertisement