Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A very loud car horn for bikes

Options
  • 12-12-2019 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I am not associated with this firm in any way http://loudbicycle.com/

I purchased one after getting knocked down on my bike. I have had it 6 months, it has saved me innumerable times. Its the best money I have ever spent, even though its pricey. Its not air powered it uses rechargeable batteries . Its as loud as a car horn. Cars stop dead as it sounds like another car, and its very very loud. Pedestrians understand it as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

And is illegal to use in Ireland.
    The only audible warning device, that is legal to use in Ireland, on a bicycle, is a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Yes it may be. Its not air powered such as an air horn. Having rang my bell to alert the car that ran me over last time I found it very ineffective. If I came before a Judge I am certain common sense would prevail, and I will take that chance every day of the week, its a great product.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I use an airzound and find it the best, only use it on motor vehicles though. Use the bell for pedestrians

Those horns above are pretty expensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

brucky wrote: »
    . If I came before a Judge I am certain common sense would prevail.

Yeeshk... Not sure if I'd share your confidence there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah. Judges and common sense don't seem to go together that often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Who needs a horn! I JUST SHOUT REALLY LOUDLY!!

What ? Martin Nolan is the epitome of common sense :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I don’t think I have ever had cause for a bell or bike horn. With peds I just slow to a stop and cars yell and/or give way. Don’t think a horn is gonna save you from a crash really.

I hadn’t seen the airzound before they look ok and not as costly. All I can say it’s that it’s saved me many times and is particularly good for cars pulling out at junctions. If horns weren’t effective manufactures wouldn’t have fitted them to cars for the past 100 years. Nor would they continue to fit them to every car or moped manufactured on the planet. Shouting at cars isn’t that effective if they have the radio on, nor pedestrians with mobile phone ear phones. I have a strobing front light also, which is great at enhancing my visibility. Apparently this is illegal as well, I must be going straight to hell when the time comes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have a strobing front light also, which is great at enhancing my visibility. Apparently this is illegal as well,
    Really?

• Advertisement

I was informed by another cyclist he made a great effort to pull me over and tell me. He could be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was informed by another cyclist he made a great effort to pull me over and tell me. He could be wrong?

flashing lights are legal - the law was changed a few years ago.

Perfect thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If there is time to see a hazard, blow the horn, the driver of the car hear it, them to take evasive action or stop, I feel there is likely time for you to stop or take evasive action yourself.

Also, I'd fear that this could make the driver expect the source of the noise is a car and their panicked reaction could be to fixate on cars and possible ignore you completely or worse, drive in to you as they seek to avoid who they thought was the source of the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I hadn’t seen the airzound before they look ok and not as costly. All I can say it’s that it’s saved me many times and is particularly good for cars pulling out at junctions. If horns weren’t effective manufactures wouldn’t have fitted them to cars for the past 100 years. Nor would they continue to fit them to every car or moped manufactured on the planet. Shouting at cars isn’t that effective if they have the radio on, nor pedestrians with mobile phone ear phones. I have a strobing front light also, which is great at enhancing my visibility. Apparently this is illegal as well, I must be going straight to hell when the time comes.

I don’t believe car horns are particularly effective, they are most often used illegally. The only time I can remember using mine legally and effectively was to let a reverser know I was there before they reversed into me. On my bike I would just bail out of the way.

I think drivers may behave better or more attentive without a horn. More zen to not have a shouty device.

I’m genuinely curious on what situation you think warrants one on a bike? Cars pulling out at junctions - look over your shoulder if no car move near to centre line of road + prepare to evade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Also, I'd fear that this could make the driver expect the source of the noise is a car and their panicked reaction could be to fixate on cars and possible ignore you completely or worse, drive in to you as they seek to avoid who they thought was the source of the noise.

So now the thinking is bow down to cars, because their dangerous driving might become even more dangerous if they hear a horn?
    They shouldn't be on the road if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Effects wrote: »
    So now the thinking is bow down to cars, because their dangerous driving might become even more dangerous if they hear a horn?
    They shouldn't be on the road if that's the case.

The thinking is to try to get to wherever you're going safely.

Not to put cars or their drivers in their place or whatever you have in mind.

If there is time to see a hazard, blow the horn, the driver of the car hear it, them to take evasive action or stop, I feel there is likely time for you to stop or take evasive action yourself.

The logical conclusion may be then that no vehicle should be fitted with a horn. All vehicles would, and should, take evasive action in all circumstances. The purpose of a car horn is to say "I'm Here". My experience to date has shown me that its also very effective on a bike, I can only urge you to try one. You are correct about the source of the noise emanating from a push bike. Some drivers particularly when they are parallel with you in some circumstances don't not fully understand where the noise is emanating from. In my experience they stop texting, slow down a little, and start looking around as to who is honking at them, which is a good thing. This has helped when they have drifted over and are nearly sitting in my lap. No driver has panicked as yet. The reason it works is drivers and pedestrians are subconsciously more programmed to react to a car horn, than a timid bell. When kids have shot across the road, with no time for me to stop and I have used the horn, they have stopped dead. One kid commented that "I thought I was going to be hit by a car mister". A video is up on YouTube type in "loudbicycle" and tell me what you think. To me the video demonstrates some examples of how people reacted when a horn that sounds like a car is used. I feel its also less anti-social than screaming at the top of my lungs at drivers or pedestrians when it is used appropriately. It always has resulted in "sorry I didn't see you" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

There is no realistic prospect of a prosecution being brought for using one of these rather than a bell, notwithstanding the dead letter law that remains on the statute book.

I used to have an airzound and found it helpful for alerting cars, I absolutely agree with previous poster that it is not suitable for alerting pedestrians or other cyclists. Also I did once startle another cyclist when sounding it at a car, it made her think a car was right up behind her. I don't use it anymore, think it was just the clip to handlebar that broke on me. It did work wonders when cars were squeezing me to the kerb without looking. However A shout does the trick too.

I have a better safety feature now - a cheap lidl "Go-pro" clone on my helmet that I got last month. I haven't recorded a single ride with it yet, but i wear it every day on my commute and it is amazing how much more polite drivers are when they spot it and believe they are being recorded. The shout i referenced above happened recently when a taxi decided to pass a car which was stopped to turn right on the left side, without realising I was between him and the kerb. He aborted when i roared, then after he came back up to me put down his window and apologised really profusely. I can't help but think that his apology might have been less fulsome, or might not have been forthcoming, if he hadn't seen a camera on my helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

https://www.thehornit.com/the-hornit-db140-new

I have one of these on my bike and find it to be great. Cars can actually hear it, and it's pretty neat on the bike. I use it almost exclusively as a 'I'm here' device. When passing traffic I might push it now and again, and what I notice is cars actually moving right allowing more room on the left. If there's any pedestrians nearby that I suspect might step off the kerb I'll give it a blip.

I've had bells, I've used my voice (still do at times), but this is what I've found that actually works. Bells break quickly, even expensive ones. Bells also don't work when it is in any way wet which is far from ideal in our country. And shouting loud enough for a car to hear you is only really appropriate in an emergency situation really.

And the other electric horn devices posted here are laughably massive. I have the hornit on a road bike, it's not terribly noticeable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I had the Hornit electronic horn some years back, that did a very loud, very high-pitched beep. It wasn't very effective because people weren't expecting that kind of sound. It's sitting in the basket at home, and I find my bell more effective with pedestrians.

With drivers sitting in their insulated cages with fancy sound systems, it would really want to be some loud device to break through and get their attention.

Yes the horn I have is very large, but fits nicely under the handle bars. The first sound that Hornit makes, the lazer gun type noise wouldn't necessarily be as effective. The "Sound 2" the Hornit makes sounds very much like a car horn and is probably very effective. Use a bell in some circumstances & use the car horn in others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have a strobing front light also, which is great at enhancing my visibility. Apparently this is illegal as well, I must be going straight to hell when the time comes.

It is more that it is dangerously blinding if you mean one of those discotheque strobes that will either blind or give epilepsy. I have said it to people on my commute they should point their lights down a bit. One guy his lights were strobing and I could see it lighting the top of a motorway style sign a few 100m before we got there. I turned around and couldn't see anything other than this pulsating light like a star about to go SuperNova. Oncoming traffic would have to drop anchor and hope everyone else done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Who needs a horn! I JUST SHOUT REALLY LOUDLY!!

I'm the same man, and I have a very loud voice.

One day I was cycling through town near Trinity collegte, and a lad on a Dublin rent a bike thing was waiting at a set of lights with about 50 tourist pedestrians crossing the road ignoring the green light for traffic and ignoring his little "bring bring" bicycle bell trying to get them to move out of the way..

I arrived on my bicycle and screamed at the top of my lungs "GET THE **** OUT OF THE ****ING WAY", and I am not joking, the pedestrians split like the red sea did for Moses, pure sprinting either way to the safety of the footpath.

The lad on the bicycle cycles through the green light as did I, looks over at me with a wry smile and says in a soft country accent "well that moved them". I just laughed and gave him the thumbs up.

Man that put a smile on my face. Still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

So in the end did any massive horn get approval?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So in the end did any massive horn get approval?

Depends on how massive it is and who you give it too as to whether it gets approval or not. Mine seems to work fine and without complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

CramCycle wrote: »
    Depends on how massive it is and who you give it too as to whether it gets approval or not. Mine seems to work fine and without complaint.

Too small a sample size to be deemed statistically significant. Please use in a greater variety of contexts and revert with a wider data set.

#science

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

What ? Martin Nolan is the epitome of common sense :pac:

If you were caught riding the horn maybe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... it has saved me innumerable times.....
    It sounds to me like you have been saved from being inconvenienced rather than for your safety. If you have time to sound your horn, would you not have time to brake/take evasive action instead?

I have a horn in my car - I don't recall ever having to use it yet other motorists seemed to have to use theirs all the time and it's rarely connected with safety.

Advertisement