Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A very loud car horn for bikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

CramCycle wrote: »
    It is more that it is dangerously blinding if you mean one of those discotheque strobes that will either blind or give epilepsy. I have said it to people on my commute they should point their lights down a bit. One guy his lights were strobing and I could see it lighting the top of a motorway style sign a few 100m before we got there. I turned around and couldn't see anything other than this pulsating light like a star about to go SuperNova. Oncoming traffic would have to drop anchor and hope everyone else done the same.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0195/8490/products/knog-accessories-lights-reflectives-knog-cobber-big-front-light-11963487158366_2000x.jpg?v=1562942675

Yes it’s very bright. If someone has epilepsy and insists on staring at it, thats just Darwin’s theory in action if you ask me. It’s also effective at junctions as it’s convex shape emits light from the sides as well. A very safe commuter light but it’s expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Who needs a horn! I JUST SHOUT REALLY LOUDLY!!

Is that what she said last night?

It sounds to me like you have been saved from being inconvenienced rather than for your safety. If you have time to sound your horn, would you not have time to brake/take evasive action instead?

I have a horn in my car - I don't recall ever having to use it yet other motorists seemed to have to use theirs all the time and it's rarely connected with safety.

Possibly you are one of the high moral ground types, as you have jumped to conclusions. I could jump to a conclusion and state that to say you never recall using a car horn is utter B.S., but I will refrain from taking the bait

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

loyatemu wrote: »
    flashing lights are legal - the law was changed a few years ago.

Only at 1hz or greater, IMO about 0.5Hz is a lot more sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

brucky wrote: »
    Possibly you are one of the high moral ground types, as you have jumped to conclusions. I could jump to a conclusion and state that to say you never recall using a car horn is utter B.S., but I will refrain from taking the bait

Yeah, he gets most of his exercise cycling up the High Moral Ground and then claiming the KOMs. He's claimed most of mine.
    Sometimes, I think he sets out deliberately to get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

Who needs a horn! I JUST SHOUT REALLY LOUDLY!!

What do you shout? I've settled on yelling "BIKE!" as its quick to shout and easy to shout loud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ReReg Numpty

A loud horn and strobing lights do nothing for your safety and everything to say to the world you are not a competent and confident cyclist.

The realpolitik of cycling in traffic is that if you don't carry yourself with confidence you only invite trouble. Well, the chances of attracting trouble are increased is probably a better way to put it. It's also true of driving without confidence.

Probably not a popular view but an accurate one. I would add commuting cams to the list of
    gizmos that communicate desperation.

This is quite sad because the health benefits of commuting are being challenged by the constant rushes of adrenaline and cortisol, directly due to a lack of confidence in cycling technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

A loud horn and strobing lights do nothing for your safety and everything to say to the world you are not a competent and confident cyclist.

The realpolitik of cycling in traffic is that if you don't carry yourself with confidence you only invite trouble. Well, the chances of attracting trouble are increased is probably a better way to put it. It's also true of driving without confidence.

Probably not a popular view but an accurate one. I would add commuting cams to the list of

This is quite sad because the health benefits of commuting are being challenged by the constant rushes of adrenaline and cortisol, directly due to a lack of confidence in cycling technique.

Thanks for a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

Probably not a popular view but an accurate one.

Ah well, it's hard to argue against such fact-based logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

homer911 wrote: »
    What do you shout? I've settled on yelling "BIKE!" as its quick to shout and easy to shout loud
    I usually shout "****!", "****!", "****!", or if there's time, "Jesus ****ing Christ!"

De language outta dem cycalists, Joe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Ive seen a fair few videos where a blast of a bike horn or siren prevented drivers from drifting into cyclists or attempting dodgy overtakes. They certainly seem effective in some circumstances.

You aren’t related to Swiss Toni from the Fast Show comedy sketch per chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBw-aEixWuo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

homer911 wrote: »

Depends on the situation. In most cases it’s just to let others know I’m around. E.g. a pedestrian about to step out in front of me gets a few “WATCH OUT”. I don’t shout at cars. Any noise I make around them is usually made is frustration, like “WTF? YA MUPPET!”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Source please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

The world* would be a much, much happier place if nobody had a horn** I struggle to recall the last time i heard someone use one other than to ‘give out’. Pure aggression/ passive aggression 99% of the time.

* possible slight exaggeration
    ** quiet down the back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting timing, because i had to use the horn in the car for the first time in god knows how long because someone dozy was about to drive into me and i didn't have much room for manouevre.
    i would be surprised, if i had one on the bike, if i didn't have cause to use it, as you're more likely to deal with SMIDSYs, albeit with probably more degrees of freedom as regards taking evasive action instead of venting your audible displeasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I’ve never used the horn on my car (2012 reg). Mind you it’s pretty pathetic sounding and would be embarrassing!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I’ve never used the horn on my car (2012 reg). Mind you it’s pretty pathetic sounding and would be embarrassing!
    I don't know what the horn sounds like in my car. I might go all out and try it tomorrow to find out! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I have had it 6 months, it has saved me innumerable times.

Sounds pretty extreme, do you just blast it as and when you feel you're being encroached upon?

I cycled a lot around Dublin when I grew up there and my basic understanding of safety was based around self preservation. You are vulnerable, no point in arguing the toss with a couple of tons of metal, even if they are breaking the law. You get outa the way and save your ass. Don't think I ever used a bell, probably didn't even have one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I never realised I was not confident until now, all these years and lack of confidence is my issue. Do you have any solutions or recommendations? I never realised it was lack of confidence that made cars tailgate me at 60k an hour, or a lack of confidence that made others run reds in front of me, or a lack of confidence that made other drivers abuse me for using a bus lane. Well thank you for letting me know all the issues my lack of confidence was causing. I always wondered why someone didn't notice (or behave as if they didn't), and it's because I don't carry myself with confidence. Well thank you for letting me know.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I never realised I was not confident until now, all these years and lack of confidence is my issue. Do you have any solutions or recommendations? I never realised it was lack of confidence that made cars tailgate me at 60k an hour, or a lack of confidence that made others run reds in front of me, or a lack of confidence that made other drivers abuse me for using a bus lane. Well thank you for letting me know all the issues my lack of confidence was causing. I always wondered why someone didn't notice (or behave as if they didn't), and it's because I don't carry myself with confidence. Well thank you for letting me know.

I am supposed to go into work tomorrow on my bike. In the past 24hrs I haven’t been able to go near my bike, nor my horn. After all these years I’ve been blindsided by the “confidence” posting, I feel like Saul on the road to Damascus. I have just signed up for a full Tony Robinson course which is going to cost me €€. I also spent the whole of Saturday evening looking straight into my full length mirror shouting “who’s the daddy now”.. I will let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ReReg Numpty

Well, godspeed to you on that road to Damascus.

Make sure you don't blast the eardrums off your fellow travellers with that airhorn.
    Or frazzle their retinas with that strobe light. Or hijack their GDPR rights with your drama-cam. 

Stay classy OP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

If someone has epilepsy and insists on staring at it, thats just Darwin’s theory in action if you ask me.

Thats a very cold and crude comment. These fits can just happen to succeptible people without warning who are going about their day without a care in the world. So many factors are involved and someone can be fit free for years and have one out of the blue. It happened my nephew out of the blue and it very nearly had serious consequences for him, his parents and all that knew him.

For someone so well versed in evolution, I hope your genes are better that your compassion and consideration of others. If something is dangerous to use in public why put the onus on everyone else to avoid looking at it? That's not something you can control but avoiding using the light is entirely within your control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I used an Airzound for a while, it was somewhat effective but I stopped using it in the end because I got tired of spending so much time charging lights, GoPro, having all the waterproof kit ready etc. It was becoming a chore getting ready every day.

The biggest issues are people pulling out in front of you on a roundabout or taxis skimming past you in a bus lane.

Majority of the close calls I've had on a bike won't be changed by a horn or any lights.

So while a horn is useful for inattentive drivers it won't stop people being dickheads. Same with the car, I've used it to warn people drifting in my lane a few times or about to pull out on me but majority of instances it wouldn't stop someone being stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I used an Airzound for a while, it was somewhat effective but I stopped using it in the end because I got tired of spending so much time charging lights, GoPro, having all the waterproof kit ready etc. It was becoming a chore getting ready every day.

The biggest issues are people pulling out in front of you on a roundabout or taxis skimming past you in a bus lane.

Majority of the close calls I've had on a bike won't be changed by a horn or any lights.

So while a horn is useful for inattentive drivers it won't stop people being dickheads. Same with the car, I've used it to warn people drifting in my lane a few times or about to pull out on me but majority of instances it wouldn't stop someone being stupid.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's not going to stop drivers being assholes. I've being giving it some consideration and think it would be of no benefit. Like there's no point blowing a driver out of it if they've already pulled out in front of you or zip close by you.

I mainly cycle in heavy traffic so there definitely would be a temptation to use it to act the bollocks and beep at drivers for the smallest indiscretion too. :D

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Thats a very cold and crude comment. These fits can just happen to succeptible people without warning who are going about their day without a care in the world. So many factors are involved and someone can be fit free for years and have one out of the blue. It happened my nephew out of the blue and it very nearly had serious consequences for him, his parents and all that knew him.

For someone so well versed in evolution, I hope your genes are better that your compassion and consideration of others. If something is dangerous to use in public why put the onus on everyone else to avoid looking at it? That's not something you can control but avoiding using the light is entirely within your control.

I actually suffer from epilepsy and have done since birth, so I have the experience of living with this condition. My "crude comment" was aimed at the moral high-ground types that responded to my previous post. Some of my earlier posts were about using a bright cycling light 4 inches long and its ability to enhance my safety, period. However the moral high-ground type throws the condition of epilepsy into the debate. I have to avoid nightclubs with such intense lighting alright, however it is extremely unlikely such a light as this would trigger an attack unless you strapped it to your face. Please remember I use this light on a daily basis & have never suffered a episode as a result and wouldn't put myself at risk, even though I lack self confidence according to Swiss Toni.

However to make a comparison with, and introduce a disability such as epilepsy into the debate is sickening. The current infestation of moral high-ground types seems to be somewhat more prevalent on this cycling forum. Interesting comments may contribute something constructive or a normal such as a bright light can be dazzling or this product is better etc,, but to knowingly introduce a disability to feed an individuals self serving need to be self righteous, and feed ones own need to pick holes is a sad, and says more out the individual posting than me. Anyway its a great light & I highly recommend it.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's not going to stop drivers being assholes. I've being giving it some consideration and think it would be of no benefit. Like there's no point blowing a driver out of it if they've already pulled out in front of you or zip close by you.

I mainly cycle in heavy traffic so there definitely would be a temptation to use it to act the bollocks and beep at drivers for the smallest indiscretion too. :D

Do you ever use the bell much or shout to warn others?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am not a fan of the Knog lights as they tend to be powerful but unfocused. Originally you described the light as strobing, which the light you pictured (the cobber right?), I wouldn't call it a strobing light, more a pulsating one (if I have the light right). It is actually pretty effective as loads of people think it is an emergency vehicle even though the light is not blue. My only issue with it is that it is unfocused, so I don't think you would get as good a view of the road as I would with a proper front light. This may be a case of the rider though as I would tip along at a handy pace.
    Basically, if you don't have pointed up in the air, and angled slightly wrong, your likely to dazzle yourself as anyone else, a decent see me light but not a great see the road light considering the price of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Used a horn to stop a car that was about to reverse out in front of me on an elevated cycle track. Lightest tap, he stopped dead, on I go.

NB: two headlights on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Do you ever use the bell much or shout to warn others?

I would use the bell a bit alright to alert pedestrians to my presence incase they looked like they were going to step out.

I only tend to shout post incident. :o

Advertisement