Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant/hotel serving Christmas Day dinner?

• 12-12-2019 6:40pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,915 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Strand do a Christmas Day dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

As does The Savoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The Nal wrote: »
    The Strand do a Christmas Day dinner

And it's €120 a head,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

And it's €120 a head,

And its literally unlimited food!

Mc Love wrote: »
    And its literally unlimited food!

Hotel standard food though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

What’s that mean though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

That's the problem, the best hotel food tends to be a notch below the best restaurant food, also if they are catering for a large crowd the quality of cooking tends to go south.

What’s that mean though?

Under seasoned, overcooked, bland gravy and sauces, cheaper quality of ingredients.

I've eaten there a couple of times. Its fine. But its a hotel restaurant carvery at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

You would like to think hotels serving Christmas Day grub would up their game for the occasion and not let people down who may wish to eat out, or possibly have no other choice but to.

Have you been? It definitely is not that bad!

• Advertisement

I’d agree. The Strand has lovely food.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was just thinking, it's been awful quiet here recently...

OP did not ask for a discussion on people working through the holiday season. They asked for recommendations on where to eat. Bear that in mind before posting.

I have. Enjoyed it. Its fine. Nice restaurant and staff. But €120 quid.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I have. Enjoyed it. Its fine. Nice restaurant and staff. But €120 quid.....

For €120 I'd be expecting Michelin star quality.

Seamai wrote: »

I’d say demand is huge, hence the price. A lot of hotels will be booked out for next Christmas shortly after this one.

Its not about the quality for the price, they usually have other things on to entertain the kids, have a band etc, and also the abundance of starters, mains, desserts etc etc. Its decent enough value

I know someone who's doing The Strand this Christmas day, for many years she's been chief cook & bottle washer for Christmas day and St Stephens day for her own family of four plus another four in laws & outlaws, this year she can get up around 11, have a shower, throw on her glad rags & head to her 1pm drinks reception & be wined & dined until 7pm, after which she can head home to her clean, tidy & most importantly empty warm home....so there is a reasonable reason for opting for this, it wouldn't be for me at the moment but in the future, who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Its not about the quality for the price, they usually have other things on to entertain the kids, have a band etc, and also the abundance of starters, mains, desserts etc etc. Its decent enough value

All you can eat? What's story with drinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Seamai wrote: »

On Christmas Day?

YFlyer wrote: »
    All you can eat? What's story with drinks?

Well I think you have to buy them but I'm not sure

• Advertisement

Well I think you have to buy them but I'm not sure

The only mention of drinks on their website is "Drinks & Canapés reception on arrival" so I'm guessing after that you're on your own,

So I spoke to the chief cook & bottle washer, she certainly enjoyed the experience which included her not having to do anything this year & confirmed she'd definitely do it again..... during the meal there was a local singer, think Michael Bublé / Sinatra who they all said was very good providing background music/atmosphere, they were a group of 8, all groups are seated separately so if there are 2 or 4 of you will have your own table

Other that the drinks reception on arrival, you are on your own if you want a pint or a glass of wine so factor that in

They arrived at 12.30 & were wrapped up by 5pm, could have stayed for another hour or so if they wanted

No complaints as regards food quality

Did note that the lads would have happily stayed at home & have dinner served up to them LOL

So for a little under 1k she had a Christmas & St Stephens day (over the years she'd have them over both days) that involved no cooking, cleaning up & entertaining for 8 holed up in her house for hours on end, she felt it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

Went to the greenhills for Xmas dinner. The setup was similar to the strand as outlined earlier, except a live piano in place of a singer. Everything else was completely shocking. 10 of us at dinner (100 per head) and the food was worse than substandard. All food was dried out, must have been cooked the day before. 8 out of 10 couldn’t handle more than a few bites. One of our group sent the steak back because it was overdone and still cold, they sent back a steak that was freshly cooked but must have been a week old as you could smell it a mile off. What completely took the piss was when we ordered coffee after they came out with cups of instant. Had gone for Xmas there a few years back and it was completely fine, this year was so bad I’ve been turned off for good

Had to go for a wedding there once and it was fine, in saying that it was a few years ago too but a mate of mine that delivers guinness said that the kitchens were shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

mdmix wrote: »
    Went to the greenhills for Xmas dinner. The setup was similar to the strand as outlined earlier, except a live piano in place of a singer. Everything else was completely shocking. 10 of us at dinner (100 per head) and the food was worse than substandard. All food was dried out, must have been cooked the day before. 8 out of 10 couldn’t handle more than a few bites. One of our group sent the steak back because it was overdone and still cold, they sent back a steak that was freshly cooked but must have been a week old as you could smell it a mile off. What completely took the piss was when we ordered coffee after they came out with cups of instant. Had gone for Xmas there a few years back and it was completely fine, this year was so bad I’ve been turned off for good
    Jesus that is shocking. Look, no one is expecting Michelin star service and food on Christmas day but, paying 100 a head, one would at least expect it to be cooked to order and be fresh! I hope you, or a member of your party, expressed your dissatisfaction and/or reported it to management. At least all of us on here know to avoid the place in future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Had to go for a wedding there once and it was fine, in saying that it was a few years ago too but a mate of mine that delivers guinness said that the kitchens were shocking

Has your mate made a complaint to the FSAI?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 idwfan

mdmix wrote: »

Did you complain to staff? I was there also on xmas day and have to say we had no issues, hot and tasty food. Service was good, roving dessert trolley. No bother, very nice.

Quoting heresay???

idwfan wrote: »
    Quoting heresay???

Don’t most people?

• Advertisement

Don’t most people?

Most definitely. But denigrating a property's cleanliness without first hand knowledge?

Advertisement